Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia (7074 Views)

KunlePoly That Stole Goat In Ilorin Is Dead / Nigerian Nabbed In Australia With $10m Hard Drug (Pictured) / Nigerian Crime Kingpin Jailed In Australia.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by free13: 7:30pm On Jan 23, 2013
By Jonathan Samuels, Australia correspondent

An Australian court has heard the bizarre case of a goat which destroyed a flowerbed - and has found in favour of the peckish animal.
Gary the goat was accused of eating flowers outside Sydney's Museum of Contemporary Art and his owner James Dezarnaulds, was fined \$440 (£295) by police.
However, the comedian, also known as Jimbo Bazoobi, contested the fine.
As he delivered his version of events to the magistrate his sidekick waited nervously outside court surrounded by reporters and photographers.
Magistrate Carolyn Barkell said the accused had been eating the flowers when police arrived.
"I accept that he did eat garden plants," she said.
However, she said there was no evidence Mr Bazoobi took Gary there with the intention of vandalising vegetation.
"He may have preferred to have an ice cream," she said.
Gary's lawyer Paul McGirr told the court police had issued the wrong infringement notice because it related to a person and not a goat.
He also said it could not be proved that Mr Bazoobi put Gary up to the act.
"We can't guess what he might have been whispered in his goat ear," he said.
Mr Bazoobi tours Australia with Gary and told reporters he bought him for a case of beer last year.
Speaking after the verdict Mr Bazoobi said: "Gary's name has been cleared of all this slander. He was simply eating and I want to thank everyone for coming down here.
"Gary the goat taught the cops a valuable lesson today, don’t bite off more than you can chew."

Mr McGirr said: "Think about the waste of taxpayers' money that has been spent on prosecuting a person because a goat is eating some grass or some vegetation.
"I've always been an advocate that all police should be out doing real police work. I'd also like to know what other police who are working hard would think about their colleague actually writing a ticket to someone whose goat is feeding."
The magistrate dismissed Mr Bazoobi's application for the Crown to pay his legal costs but cancelled his fine.
[b]Gary was not required to give evidence and made no comment on the verdict.[/b]

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/australia-gary-goat-overturns-conviction-101840143.html
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by free13: 7:35pm On Jan 23, 2013
I thought it was only in naija that police officers arrest goats. grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by GARRIx7(m): 7:54pm On Jan 23, 2013
I guess they learnt from the Osun State Environmental Agency...
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by PointB: 8:09pm On Jan 23, 2013
Funny stuff.

I hope this is not a satire. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by taharqa: 8:16pm On Jan 23, 2013
LOL...grin grin
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Maxymilliano(m): 8:22pm On Jan 23, 2013
Gary the goat grin

1 Like

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by free13: 12:10pm On Jan 24, 2013
I hope people will not insult the nigerian police. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by BedLam: 12:56pm On Jan 24, 2013
Maxymilliano: Gary the goat grin
this would be nice for a hollywood movie u know.

1 Like

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by free13: 1:26pm On Jan 24, 2013
BedLam: this would be nice for a hollywood movie u know.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jan 24, 2013
GARRI (x7):
I guess they learnt from the Osun State Environmental Agency...

Trespassing is an offence and it doesn't have to be human or animals.
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by aglomar: 3:35pm On Jan 24, 2013
Thought goats are arrested only in Osun

1 Like

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by free13: 3:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
The goat was doing what comes naturally. grin

1 Like

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by 190theclown: 3:37pm On Jan 24, 2013
Gary was not required to give evidence and made no comment on the verdict.

1 Like

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by DaGeeNius1(m): 3:42pm On Jan 24, 2013
Dis is damn stupid!!!!!
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Mcdondayan: 3:42pm On Jan 24, 2013
I tot it was only in Naija that we had f.o.o.l.i.s.h p.o.olicemen. I think this foolishness is a global phenomenom
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 24, 2013
Nigerian Police, I hereby apologize for insulting you earlier lipsrsealed. I didn't know arresting animals was a global practice grin.

4 Likes

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by solomon111(m): 3:49pm On Jan 24, 2013
Richfella: Nigerian Police, I hereby apologize for insulting you earlier lipsrsealed. I didn't know arresting animals was a global practice grin.
lol
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by emmaliveth10(m): 3:49pm On Jan 24, 2013
Oyibo Una no go kill person!i hope say no be "GARY" NEVILLE OF MAN U?
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by ifysimple(f): 4:06pm On Jan 24, 2013
free13: I thought it was only in naija that police officers arrest goats. grin grin
grin grin grin
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Onlinebiz2012: 4:07pm On Jan 24, 2013
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 24, 2013
abeg make una carry this tory go jokes section!
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by nke001: 4:23pm On Jan 24, 2013
How was the goat able to write a statement? shocked
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by neksummi(m): 4:24pm On Jan 24, 2013
Funny sha
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by bigfat01: 4:26pm On Jan 24, 2013
[size=25pt]it happened in Nigeria too... the goats died in custody - i forgot the link where i saw the news can anyone help me here... NA WAH ..[/size]

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Rexsul: 4:33pm On Jan 24, 2013
Wot wuld they av done 2 d goat if he lost d case undecidedWot wuld they av done 2 d goat if he lost d case
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Parnassuss(m): 4:35pm On Jan 24, 2013
Rexsul: Wot wuld they av done 2 d goat if he lost d case undecidedWot wuld they av done 2 d goat if he lost d case

shylock tinz, pay with a pound of flesh. Or all the flesh he had grin grin grin
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Rexsul: 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2013
Wuld they put d goat in d midst of human being inside d prison lipsrsealed?
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by dnawah(m): 4:45pm On Jan 24, 2013
Parnassuss:

shylock tinz, pay with a pound of flesh. Or all the flesh he had grin grin grin
Gary the goat pepper soupgrin
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by free13: 4:51pm On Jan 24, 2013
dnawah: Gary the goat pepper soupgrin

chei.........
grin grin
Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Excellent7(m): 5:09pm On Jan 24, 2013
free13: I thought it was only in naija that police officers arrest goats. grin grin

@free13 You can now see its not only in naija. Infact the Australians are just catching up. In these area naija is "well developed" and the Aussies "developing".
To those that think its a joke, it wasn't. I watched it live on a news channel!

2 Likes

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by staaari: 5:12pm On Jan 24, 2013
We still have colonial mentality reading some comments here.!!

Nobody own this world, we all own it together.

We dont need OYINBO to validate our practices!!!!!

We should be able to think and act for ourself.

Now it took a goat arrested in Australia for us to believe our Osun Police were not acting stupily!

AFRICANS wake up! We can shape the world as we see fit.

2 Likes

Re: Court Drops Case Against Goat In Australia by Symphony007: 5:51pm On Jan 24, 2013
"Gary the goat shall not be used as a scape goat." thank God he won!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buratai And The Art Of Patriotism By David Onmeje / How The Game(internet Scam)almost Ruined My Life / His Name Is Aziz Mirza, The Man Who Exposed Hushpuppi And Woodberry To The FBI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.