Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues (13733 Views)

Cost Of O2 Sensor / DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl / Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by cretin: 10:01am On Feb 02, 2013
am in ph
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by mich2012: 10:15am On Feb 02, 2013
cretin: r u techincal?..u can check the sensors urself......unplu it from the harness and use a multimeter to read the terminals..it has 4 wires 1 pair is the actual sensor, while the other pair is the heaster circuit...its the heater circuit that usually fails....so the semi ignorant mechanic just checks n says the sensor is ok, without really knowing what they r doing!!!!!.......they told me the same thing when i had a bad oxygen sensor on my car..they fiddled with it, n after a while told me that the sensor is ok....when i insisted they said OGA UR CAR STILL MOVES, CONTINUE DRIVING IT LIKE THAT..NO WORRY URSELF!.......i insisted and scanned the car...the scan told me the exact sensor that was bad..[since my car has 4 sensors], i even went to toyota place n they didnt hv the sensor........i imported the sensor from usa and changed it out...n the check engine light is off.....those sensors usually fail after about 100k miles..so be prepared to change all of them...cos they usually fail 1 after the other, once the reach the service ceiling/life

Cretin, thanks a lot. I really appreciate your input. I will do as advised. Do you know where I can get original (OEM) sensor here in Lagos? I think the ones in Ebute-Metta are China or tokunbo ones.

1 Like

Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by cretin: 10:32am On Feb 02, 2013
i could hv helped u buy it..i import parts from the usa, but am in ph..so what u could do is ..some other nairalanders import n sell parts from usa..like inspiredman/siena etc...u cud contact them n let them buy for u, as they r in lagos
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by mich2012: 11:04am On Feb 02, 2013
cretin: i could hv helped u buy it..i import parts from the usa, but am in ph..so what u could do is ..some other nairalanders import n sell parts from usa..like inspiredman/siena etc...u cud contact them n let them buy for u, as they r in lagos

ok! Thanks a lot
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by davids202(m): 8:55pm On Feb 03, 2013
Nice thread, I jst hope U̶̲̥̅̊ let us know when U̶̲̥̅̊ find solution so others can learn.
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by mich2012: 9:05am On Feb 05, 2013
davids202: Nice thread, I jst hope U̶̲̥̅̊ let us know when U̶̲̥̅̊ find solution so others can learn.

Thanks! I will definitely do that. I haven't come to a solution yet.
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by micdipo: 10:58pm On Sep 19, 2017
Change the faulty sensor and scan to clear codes. Drive the car to see if the code from the check engine light will reappear...
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 1:19am On Sep 20, 2017
nissparts:
Here is some knowledge for you, the oxygen sensor you are referring to, which is the lower one, has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on fuel consumption.
The one on top (air/fuel ratio sensor) is the one that controls inputs to your injectors and can affect fuel economy.
You have proven what I have said countless times on this site and elsewhere, the absence/presence of a catalyst also has no bearing on fuel economy. They are placed there to regulate exhaust emissions into the atmosphere, nothing more, nothing less.
Whatever solution you come up with to take off the CEL will not affect your "perceived poor fuel economy".
I am not sure I read anywhere in this thread that you have ACTUALLY replaced the sensor in question. If that is so, I would wonder why. Also note that it may not be the sensor at fault but the connection at the socket of the sensor.
I heard that the absence of catalyst in Honda cars affect fuel consumption compared to other cars
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by HenryWilliams(m): 5:37pm On Dec 02, 2017
captainking:

I heard that the absence of catalyst in Honda cars affect fuel consumption compared to other cars

I'm having the same mindset.. My catalytic converter was removed and I'm experiencing insane fuel consumption..

1 Like

Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 5:58pm On Dec 02, 2017
HenryWilliams:

I'm having the same mindset.. My catalytic converter was removed and I'm experiencing insane fuel consumption..
same as mine bro..thou I used o2 sensor spacer...
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by HenryWilliams(m): 6:22pm On Dec 02, 2017
captainking:
same as mine bro..thou I used o2 sensor spacer...

So with new sensors and spacers.. You still get terrible fuel economy?
Damn..
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:10pm On Dec 02, 2017
HenryWilliams:

Damn..

welcome to team Honda, u just cant bypass anything or abuse anything worse still u can't manage it till u gada enough bar.
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 11:21pm On Dec 02, 2017
HenryWilliams:

Damn..
i have changed sensors once.. But. Economy did not improve.. Adding spacers did not Improve it too.. I guess I need to get a gud sensor.. Cos on my scanner.. It reads. 0.8 or so.. For bank one..under sensor reads 0.9..or 1.0..and it throws up code.. P0141..and p1166...all oxygen sensor related..
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:40am On Dec 03, 2017
captainking:
i have changed sensors once.. But. Economy did not improve.. Adding spacers did not Improve it too.. I guess I need to get a gud sensor.. Cos on my scanner.. It reads. 0.8 or so.. For bank one..under sensor reads 0.9..or 1.0..and it throws up code.. P0141..and p1166...all oxygen sensor related..

how much did u buy the sensor, I might need to buy too, did u search for the correct part no first? I usually generate my part nos with my vin before buying any part, I learnt that the hard way with my Camry, I bought sensor meant for US emissions while my car was California specs emissions, had to buy again.

if u get the correct sensor u can also check for continuity on the heater sensor using a multimeter. lemme get specifics and show u

1 Like

Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 8:52am On Dec 03, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

how much did u buy the sensor, I might need to buy too, did u search for the correct part no first? I usually generate my part nos with my vin before buying any part, I learnt that the hard way with my Camry, I bought sensor meant for US emissions while my car was California specs emissions, had to buy again.

if u get the correct sensor u can also check for continuity on the heater sensor using a multimeter. lemme get specifics and show u
my brother.. I think that's where I got it wrong.. I did not check the parts number.. I just went to oyinbo and bought it..its sold for 2.5k to 4k.. The main sensor that came with the car was misplaced by a mechanic.... How do I get the parts number with my vin.. Pls I need to know... To make informed decision.. Can you help me on this
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:42am On Dec 03, 2017
captainking:
my brother.. I think that's where I got it wrong.. I did not check the parts number.. I just went to oyinbo and bought it..its sold for 2.5k to 4k.. The main sensor that came with the car was misplaced by a mechanic.... How do I get the parts number with my vin.. Pls I need to know... To make informed decision.. Can you help me on this

yes bro, na small tin, lemme get the site for u

www.parts.com then u search by vin .... site is user friendly

densoautopart.com
u will be happy u surfed it, no more guess work purchase,

2 Likes

Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 3:07pm On Dec 03, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

yes bro, na small tin, lemme get the site for u

www.parts.com then u search by vin .... site is user friendly

densoautopart.com
u will be happy u surfed it, no more guess work purchase,
.woa.. That's a lot bro... You just save d me a lot.. What about using the multi meter to test the o2 sensors.. Should it be tested before putting in the car or after putting in the car??
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by HenryWilliams(m): 4:00pm On Dec 03, 2017
captainking:
.woa.. That's a lot bro... You just save d me a lot.. What about using the multi meter to test the o2 sensors.. Should it be tested before putting in the car or after putting in the car??

Test it before fixing and run a live scan afterwards

1 Like

Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 6:10pm On Dec 03, 2017
HenryWilliams:

Test it before fixing and run a live scan afterwards
ok..thanks a lot.. What should be the reading on the multi meter??
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by HenryWilliams(m): 7:20pm On Dec 03, 2017
captainking:
ok..thanks a lot.. What should be the reading on the multi meter??

Set the multi meter to ohms. You're looking for resistance..
The black wires. 2nos are the heater wires..probe them with the meter.. If you got no reading.. That's a dead sensor..it should be reading.. .
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 7:49pm On Dec 03, 2017
HenryWilliams:

Set the multi meter to ohms. You're looking for resistance..
The black wires. 2nos are the heater wires..probe them with the meter.. If you got no reading.. That's a dead sensor..it should be reading.. .
Woa.. Thanks a lot boss.. You too much..
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2017
captainking:

yes it should be, u test the heater circuit by connecting the black wires with the multimeter, lemme get the full specs, been long I tested o2 sensors, when I get them I always ensure I get the right part no,

each brand has its specific range of volts, lemme check for Honda and get back to u
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:26pm On Dec 03, 2017
captainking:

yes it should be, u test the heater circuit by connecting the black wires with the multimeter, lemme get the full specs, been long I tested o2 sensors, when I get them I always ensure I get the right part no,

each brand has its specific range of volts, lemme check for Honda and get back to u

@ Henry, that's not entirely true, the fact that a sensor has readings doesn't make it OK, it might be out of range.

best thing to do is to consult the repair manual for the acceptable range of resistance reading for the sensors.

@ captain if the sensor u r buying is new, great.... u can just install, I haven't had any issues with buying the right sensor brand new, if its tokunbo..... consult the repair manual and go with a multimeter
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

@ Henry, that's not entirely true, the fact that a sensor has readings doesn't make it OK, it might be out of range.

best thing to do is to consult the repair manual for the acceptable range of resistance reading for the sensors.

@ captain if the sensor u r buying is new, great.... u can just install, I haven't had any issues with buying the right sensor brand new, if its tokunbo..... consult the repair manual and go with a multimeter
boss..can you please do me a. Favour??.based on getting a sensor with the right part number.. I tried.. But I could not get the right part number from the pages you posted earlier. My car is Honda accord 2000 ex v4.. My vin number.. Is... 1hgcg6679ya132147..can you kindly help me get the part number for my front and down sensors.?? I would really appreciate it if you can.. Thanks a lot boss.
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:49pm On Dec 03, 2017
captainking:
boss..can you please do me a. Favour??.based on getting a sensor with the right part number.. I tried.. But I could not get the right part number from the pages you posted earlier. My car is Honda accord 2000 ex v4.. My vin number.. Is... 1hgcg6679ya132147..can you kindly help me get the part number for my front and down sensors.?? I would really appreciate it if you can.. Thanks a lot boss.

ok
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 11:01pm On Dec 03, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

ok
thanks a lot..
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by HenryWilliams(m): 7:38pm On Dec 04, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

What's the acceptance range of resistance for OEM Honda O2 sensors?
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:11pm On Dec 05, 2017
HenryWilliams:

What's the acceptance range of resistance for OEM Honda O2 sensors?

sorry, just seeing this now, I've been looking for the repair manual on my phone can't seem to locate it.. I think I actually downloaded it from nl, just need some time to search for it
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by mich2012: 11:01pm On Jan 24, 2018
Nice to see that this thread is still "alive". Well, for my car, I tried all I could, bought sensors, wiped off the codes but after a couple of minutes, they would re-appear. When the mechanic guys stated mentioning changing of ECU, I ran away. I have been driving the baby like that since then. I might have to look at it again.
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by holuphemy: 12:14pm On Nov 19, 2018
Mich 2012... were you able to resolve the issue? i am having the same challenge, i have changed o2 sensor, serviced the nozzle, bought catalyst still the same issue of high fuel consumption.... ur response would be appreciated
Re: Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues by captainking(m): 9:47pm On Nov 19, 2018
cretin:
am in ph
hi bro... Are you still in ph

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / Why Don't Passengers At The Back Seat Use Seatbelts? / Have Kids Ever Written Crazy Stuffs On Your Car ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.