Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much (13897 Views)

Does A V6 Camry Pencil Consumes Fuel Excessively? / My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn / My Car Heavily Consumes Fuel? Please Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Tonyet1(m): 5:07pm On Apr 27, 2009
prior to my buying a car, experts opinion was that toyota and nissan cars are good in fuel economy but all of that has not really shown of, my toks car (NISSAN PRIMERA-2.0slx) consumes fuel like crasy

i put in a 20litres fuel and it doesnt last up to 2days for a journey of less than 10km (going and coming from work)

pls i really need advise here pls, could it be normal or something is certainly wrong with my car
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by promise72(m): 7:56pm On Apr 27, 2009
you gave too little info. is it a caburator or fuel injector? To calcualte the amt of fuel consumption, pls do a little assignment. Next time u fill up the tank (make sure its almost empty).

Record ur current miles on the car. Drive the car for about half way or 3/4 down the fuel tank. and refill.

Take the difference between the new miles on the car and divide by the amt of litres u just put in the car. That will give u approximate amt of kilometers u get for a litre. It will be more accurate to judge how much more ur car is wasting.

Meanwhile, since u just got the car, do a full service (new genuine NGK plugs, rotor, distributor cap) let a good mechanic adjust the timing, and change the air cleaner. DO NOT MANAGE ANYTHING!. You will end up spending more on petrol if ur car is running bad. Better make the engine run right and save urself. spend $$$$ on maintenance and service. its much cheaper.

And year brand new oil and good filter too

Good luck
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Tonyet1(m): 11:19am On Apr 28, 2009
Bro, thanks for the info

but my mech. said the plugs are still fine same for the distributor cap, but dont know about the rotor i dont even know what it looks like or mean, the air cleanser have been changed and i even serviced the engine and refilled new oil (oleum)

i gat my self thinking if the problem could be from the size of the engine, pls could it be true?
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by promise72(m): 5:14am On Apr 30, 2009
2.0L is a very small engine and should be very good with petrol.

Reset the timing on the car. if everything else is good.
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Tonyet1(m): 3:14pm On Apr 30, 2009
men thanx for the great infos, i appreciate and will do that this weekend

oncemorethanx
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by muyeknite(m): 6:39pm On Apr 30, 2009
i think the problem is just the caburator, i use a primera too but safes alot of fuel, check the caburator and get a good mech
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by TouaregV8(m): 8:01am On May 05, 2009
Hi there tonye-t,

Most vehicles imported into Nigeria have to constantly operate on premium unleaded petrol (PULP) of 95 RON or higher, but Nigeria only operates a single unleaded petrol grade of 90 RON.  In some cases our filling stations dispense a petrol as low as 88 RON.  The use of low octane or inferior petrol will result in a range of fuel and engine related problems in vehicles that do not use the correct petrol grade.

Evidence of the problems associated with our low octane and inferior petrol is spread across Nigeria:

Engine and fuel component damage;
High fuel consumption;
Excessive maintenance and servicing costs;
Overheating and piston damage;
Poor vehicle response and acceleration;
Stressful and unsatisfactory driving experiences.
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Kafin(m): 1:14pm On May 05, 2009
Your car is using more that 1Liter to cover 1KM?? You may be having a fuel-leak, but make sure you change your mechanic. The one you curently have is not helping you at all!!

A used car (Be it Toyota, Nissan or Benz) is only as good as the service it has received in its life-time. Puchasing cars based on low-price and the name of the car maker is realy a waste of money. A car that is due for maintenance is "a car that is waiting to be serviced" no matter the name of the maker.

Your car engine is in such a bad shape that I dont know where to start checking!! Might have been easier if I am standing next to the car cheesy

@muyeknite,
Who is your mechanic and where is s/he located, maybe you can help tonye-t
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by sultaan(m): 6:31pm On May 05, 2009
Don't mess with timing yet.
You need to state the year of your car, if its caburetted or fuel injection(I bet its EFI)
If you don't know take a pic of engine and another pic of the dashboard while the car is warm and post it.

If your car is a '96+ your check engine light is on get the codes

3 common culprit for this problem,

You removed your thermostat so the engine stays in cold loop for longer time it keeps pumping fuel thinking engine because engine is not warm.This is why you only have incomplete combustion of fuel in new cars only when engine is warming up takes about 5-10min depending on ambient temp.

you have a leaky/bad fuel injector so instead of spraying fine mist of fuel is just shooting a stream of fuel.You will know by strong smell of fuel in exhaust, and lot of smoke in morning start up.You cold be losing fuel through leak(s) in fuel line.

Bad O2 sensor, no heavy smoke but fuel smell in exhaust even when car is warm.

Last option not caused by engine is you are being taken at gas station. grin 2 litres instead of 20

2 Likes

Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by TouaregV8(m): 8:38pm On May 05, 2009
Dear Tonye-t,

Let me introduce you to THE SOLUTION to Nigeria's low octane and poor performing petrol.

The Australian made, Nulon Pro-Strength Octane Booster (PSO) is designed to boost petrol by 70 points. Nulon PSO is the only fuel treatment that will boost our petrol from 90 RON to 95 RON.

Nulon PSO is the only octane booster guaranteed to solve the problems and expense associated with Nigeria’s low octane and poor performing petrol. No other octane booster in Nigeria can match Nulon’s performance and international reputation, and it is endorsed by Intertek International Testing and Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON).

Please feel free contact me for any further information.  The following links and press articles should also give you further information.

http://www.punchng.com/Article-print2.aspx?theartic=Art200901220141142

http://nigerianbulletin.com/nigeria-business-finance-news/moto-supreme-introduces-nulon-fuel-boost-to-nigeria/22012009/4331

http://www.moto-supreme.com/pso-leaflet.html

Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Kafin(m): 5:02am On May 06, 2009
From the little information that you have provided, I will suggest that you quickly take your car to a competent mechanic.

The first check is to find where all the Fuel is going. Except you are sitting in traffic for hours, or you are "being taken at the pump" there is no reason why a car should be consuming over 1Liter for every 1KM travelled. At a slow speed of 24KM/h you should be covering 1KM in 2.5 minutes. This means that 1Liter moved from your Gas tank into the engine in 2.5minutes. If this happens, the fuel would have been in a liquid state, and I dont see how your engine would be running.

Remember that gasoline is highly flammable!!!

@Touareg V8,
Na waoo, man must wack. This you all purpose solution self, E get vitamins wey go change my old car to "Tear rubber" 2010 model?? I beg help solve my problem cheesy cheesy
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by TouaregV8(m): 6:02am On May 06, 2009
Good Morning Kafin,

Yes you are right, NULON PSO is a multi purpose fuel additive, and it is the world's best consumer-based octane booster. 

It doesn't contain vitamins, but it is guaranteed to solve the problems and costs associated with Nigeria's low octane and poor petrol.  What car do you drive?
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Tonyet1(m): 10:35am On May 07, 2009
Thanx everyone for the advise,

i just discovered the problem lies with the fuel nozzle has a major leakage hiding from visibility until a different panel beater from mine saw it

got the problem solved , i now use a full tank(i.e. 50ltrs) for 9days to and fro my office

@Touareg V8,

pls tell us more ABOUT this product of your, havent heard of it b4, how much does it cost? thank you
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by TouaregV8(m): 7:27am On May 08, 2009
Hi there tonye-t,

Good news that you have rectified the specific problem you posted earlier.

Nulon PSO is a MULTI-FUNCTIONAL OCTANE BOOSTER AND CLEANER FOR PETROL ENGINE FUEL SYSTEMS.  The product possesses  unsurpassed and powerful octane enhancing performance, as well as  performing superior petrol engine cleaning capabilities.  An added benefit is that it protects against valve seat recession.

Nulon PSO is designed to boost octane by up to 70 points (7 RON).  It is the only product that can boost Nigerian petrol from 90 RON (REGULAR) to 95 RON (PREMIUM) - And that is a fact.

Nulon PSO is guaranteed to solve the expense and problems associated with Nigeria’s low octane and poor performing petrol.  No other octane booster in Nigeria can match PSO’s performance and international pedigree.

The retail price of a 500 ml bottle of Nulon PSO is ₦2,000.  Discounts apply to trade and bulk purchases.  Your vehicle will only need to use half of the bottle per full tank of petrol.  In effect you will get two effective treatments from a single bottle of PSO.

If you are in any doubt, I am also willing to offer you a money back guarantee if you do not experience an improvement in the performance and maintenance costs of your vehicle.  You have nothing to lose, however, a lot to gain from using the worlds best octane booster.

http://nigerianbulletin.com/nigeria-business-finance-news/moto-supreme-introduces-nulon-fuel-boost-to-nigeria/22012009/4331/
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by foye57(m): 10:21am On May 08, 2009
is this product in the market?
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by TouaregV8(m): 12:25pm On May 08, 2009
Yes, NULON PSO is in the Nigerian market.  My company, MOTO-SUPREME GLOBAL LTD is the exclusive importer of NULON PSO into Nigeria. 

End-users, vehicle technicians, interested distributors and retailers are welcome to contact me directly. pso@moto-supreme.com;

0803 643 4344; 0708 939 4444; +44 (0)752 969747.

At last, Nigeria has a premium and an authentic fuel additive that guarantees improved engine performance.  I welcome all discerning vehicle owners and drivers to embrace and experience this excellent product.

http://www.moto-supreme.com/pso-leaflet.html
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Kafin(m): 3:14am On May 23, 2009
My Brothers and Sisters,

Please let me know how much a jar of engine-oil is being sold for in Nigeria. To be sure we are comparing apples to apples, I will appreciate it if you can also specify the make and the actual size (4 or 5 liters).

Same goes for Oil-filter, other auto service parts, and cost of various services that you have performed on your car.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Kafin(m): 9:17am On May 25, 2009
I will appreciate any information on the prices of basic auto service in Nigeria.

Those that know the price of the parts (engine-oil, transmission-oil, filters, spark-plus, etc) can also help.

TIA
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by Nezan(m): 3:40pm On May 25, 2009
@ Touareg V8

Where can I get the NULON PSO in Abuja?
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by TouaregV8(m): 6:34pm On May 25, 2009
Good Evening Nezan,

Thank you for your enquiry. 

As am still in the process of appointing reliable distributors in Abuja, NULON PSO will need to be sent to you direct from Lagos.

By the way, what vehicle(s) do you drive - This will allow me to give you the best advise on how to use this excellent product.  Can you also send me your telephone number, in case I need to call you.

Customer service is a key part of the overall product service provided by my company.  My email address is pso@moto-supreme.com

You can also contact my sales manager in Lagos on 0803 643 4344
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by omosetanR(m): 9:44pm On Oct 11, 2010
Tonye-t, i know this post is old, and u prob have solved the problem, but i suggest you join www.npoc.co.uk - nissan primera owners club, I now teach my mechanic with the free info i get at the forum,  thx
Re: Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much by anneki(m): 2:22pm On Mar 26, 2011
look up techron on the internet. it is an injector cleaner made by chevron and sold in the US. i got someone to send a few bottles and i must say my rough idling is gone. there are a lot of fuel treatments in nigeria but one really does not know if they contain enough active ingredients to do the work. stp, abro, and synergy are a few i have tried and none of them have produced the results i have gotten from using techron.

(1) (Reply)

Radiator Problems On 2006 Honda Accord !!! / 6 Reasons Why Your Car Struggles When Going Uphill / A Toyota Camry 2.4 (big For Nothing) Or A Honda Eod?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.