Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,534 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? (9522 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 4:36pm On Jan 28, 2013
I recently experience over heating with my Honda babyboy 1999 and along the line, i was told my gasket was burnt as the water from the radiator was oozing out wen the engine was running... i had that fixed only to discover that the temperature went up again and water was leaking from a pipe,the mechanics said its the AC pipe and i dont use the AC. I had that fixed and just a little drive of less than 2km,the car temperature goes nearly above the middle. I was then told that my single cell radiator has expired and does not work as efficiently as it should and that i need to change it to a double cell radiator and things will normalize...here lies my question, is that really the problem?

Your candid responses would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 4:41pm On Jan 28, 2013
I still dey wait for una o!
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
Stallion77: I recently experience over heating with my Honda babyboy 1999 and along the line, i was told my gasket was burnt as the water from the radiator was oozing out wen the engine was running... i had that fixed only to discover that the temperature went up again and water was leaking from a pipe,the mechanics said its the AC pipe and i dont use the AC. I had that fixed and just a little drive of less than 2km,the car temperature goes nearly above the middle. I was then told that my single cell radiator has expired and does not work as efficiently as it should and that i need to change it to a double cell radiator and things will normalize...here lies my question, is that really the problem?

Your candid responses would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

on most cars the middle is the car's operating temperature arranging from car to car 82 - 89 degress celsius and the thermo opens at 90 degress celsius no need to change your radiator and it doesnt expire but they get blocked or leak thats when you change one

your water pump should also be checked it was supposed to be changed when they did the head gasket and also i dont see how AC pipe is linked to car's cooling except if s/he meant the pipes that go into the heater matric (a small radiator thats make the car's cabin warm)
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by edoyad(m): 5:24pm On Jan 28, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

on most cars the middle is the car's operating temperature arranging from car to car 82 - 89 degress celsius and the thermo opens at 90 degress celsius no need to change your radiator and it doesnt expire but they get blocked or leak thats when you change one

your water pump should also be checked it was supposed to be changed when they did the head gasket and also i dont see how AC pipe is linked to car's cooling except if s/he meant the pipes that go into the heater matric (a small radiator thats make the car's cabin warm)

I'm baffled myself. Being near the middle now equates to over heating?The danger sign near when the temperature is very high then plays what role?
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 6:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
I dont know about you but I find it abnormal to see the temperature guage at the middle and rising in less than 5mins drive wen the original point was around 75degrees on a normal cruise...i mean quarter tank level wen compared to fuel tank reading,if u are conversant wit a babyboy display.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by sultaan(m): 3:52am On Jan 29, 2013
No part on any car expires I have a picture of a normal gage and you problem might be that you are using only water in your radiator

Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 8:41am On Jan 29, 2013
sultaan: No part on any car expires I have a picture of a normal gage and you problem might be that you are using only water in your radiator

Sir Sultaan,Thanks for this pix so does it mean that even when it was previously normal at the exact point in your uploaded pix and it goes above that point to about five or more bars above the half mark, inadequate coolant could be the culprit? how much coolant are we talking about? like how many tins of coolant is normal for a radiator cos me i dont understand 50/50 when i cant measure the coolant and water accordingly.
thanks again for the pix dear.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by ikeyman00(m): 10:11am On Jan 29, 2013
@@@@

did u bleed ur radiator to get rid of air trapped in the line?

that alone will cause over heating!
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 10:35am On Jan 29, 2013
ikeyman00: @@@@

did u bleed ur radiator to get rid of air trapped in the line?

that alone will cause over heating!

yes that was done... but should it be done when the engine is running or not running? i was watching keenly with questions cos i dont want them tampering with something that does not concern heating issues.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by ikeyman00(m): 9:08pm On Jan 29, 2013
@@@@

and u might consider changing ur thermostat ? before bleeding

bleeding should be done when the water is circulating to drive out all the air so the engine should be ON
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 11:58pm On Jan 29, 2013
ikeyman00: @@@@

and u might consider changing ur thermostat ? before bleeding

bleeding should be done when the water is circulating to drive out all the air so the engine should be ON

Hmm! Nwanna! I dont know about that one o!

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by sultaan(m): 4:31am On Jan 30, 2013
Stallion77:

Sir Sultaan,Thanks for this pix so does it mean that even when it was previously normal at the exact point in your uploaded pix and it goes above that point to about five or more bars above the half mark, inadequate coolant could be the culprit? how much coolant are we talking about? like how many tins of coolant is normal for a radiator cos me i dont understand 50/50 when i cant measure the coolant and water accordingly.
thanks again for the pix dear.

You said it leaked and boiled.I don't think its suppose to boil, check your fan immediately after starting in the morning it not suppose to when its suppose to run only after you temp gets to the middle point.
FYI
Its very easy for me to diagnose heating problem, its also possible its head gasket and that only happens after certain situations like driving continuously after the car has already heated to the max. Immediately your car gets to red zone stop let it cool down, when you start back up to get home turn your heater and fan to max, window down and get it home safely.

If the fan start working when the temp gets to middle and temp stays there while the car is at idle in the morning, take it to the car was and let the wash the radiator fin, it might be dirty and losing efficiency. The idea is if the radiator has dirty, insect and mud covering the fin it reduces heat exchange between the air flowing through it and the coolant passing through he coils
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by ikeyman00(m): 10:12am On Jan 30, 2013
@@@

yes bro ikenna

Hmm! Nwanna! I dont know about that one o!

Ikenna.

well i never ask her to remove the thermostart; i said change which means replace right?
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by dandollar1: 10:45am On Jan 30, 2013
sultaan: No part on any car expires I have a picture of a normal gage and you problem might be that you are using only water iplean your radiator
please,is this temprature guage supose to be flunctuating according to the activity of the engine,or it should normally be static at the middle?

2.I discovered that my radiator fan doesn't come on even after idling for 15mins, except I switch on the ac.is this normal?
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 12:02pm On Jan 30, 2013
I thought both fans should be on as soon as the engine comes on... cos the last time i discovered that it overheated, i checked and discovered one of the fans was disconnected so i asked someone to connect it thinking that was the cause for overheating. so honestly,i dont know what to think again cos i have had the radiator washed and flushed....all to no avail. my next move is changing the radiator as they said it is rusted and not working well, then probably check the water pump.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 2:37pm On Jan 30, 2013
ikeyman00: @@@

yes bro ikenna

well i never ask her to remove the thermostart; i said change which means replace right?

I was referring to your method of bleeding the cooling system while engine is running. Am not sure which brand of car that is safe to do that, but Peugeot is not one of them.

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 3:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
Stallion77: I thought both fans should be on as soon as the engine comes on... cos the last time i discovered that it overheated, i checked and discovered one of the fans was disconnected so i asked someone to connect it thinking that was the cause for overheating. so honestly,i dont know what to think again cos i have had the radiator washed and flushed....all to no avail. my next move is changing the radiator as they said it is rusted and not working well, then probably check the water pump.

Dont waste your money replacing what is not faulty, i mean your radiator. What you think is rust is not rust. Its as a result of water you are using in the cooling system. Radiators dont rust. Use only coolant and save yourself the wahala. There are some few coolant in the market that are already premixed, so that you wont need to mix them with water again. TOTAL coolant is one of them. But i gathered that some vehicles comes with different colours of coolant other than green. So you will need to know which colour is made for your engine, since the TOTAL coolant in Nigeria is green. There is one terrible coolant in Nigerian market, stay away from it. Water is even better than that acid. I dont want to state the name here since am not faceless in this forum. I tried that coolant and it was worst than using only water. Water alone takes more than 20 mins for the temp guage to rise to the middle. But that coolant takes close to 1hr to do so. Only God knows what else it does on the cylinder head and it gasket. If you want to know the name, PM me.

As for the issue with your cooling system, it sounds like a lot of abuse has been carried out on the system, starting with the water you use only. I really dont get some of the explanations in your posts.

Will get back to you, when am less busy.

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by ikeyman00(m): 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
@@@@

I thought both fans should be on as soon as the engine comes on... cos the last time i discovered that it overheated, i checked and discovered one of the fans was disconnected so i asked someone to connect it thinking that was the cause for overheating. so honestly,i dont know what to think again cos i have had the radiator washed and flushed....all to no avail. my next move is changing the radiator as they said it is rusted and not working well, then probably check the water pump.

mind u the second fan should only come on when the a/c is ON to off set the excess load on the cooling system and should never done to run constantly

i guess this is the reason some people believe their engine fan only comes on when the a/c is on cuz they could hear noise when the fan is spinning maybe at a higher speed

if i am in ur situation i will set out time to go through the whole cooling system

1; remove the rubber hose to check for cracks

2; clean the radiator inside and out

3; check ur fan to see if they are working

4;since ur gasket is ok as u said then u might wana see if ur water pump is ok

5; wait for ikennna to come; surely he will have other ideas

However it will make more sense that before u go through all that i ve suggested u carry out the basics

like start the engine and look to see if the fan kicks in after few secs; if it doesnt then some thing might be wrong; maybe temp sensor or something

check to see if the air passage on the radiator fin by simply placing a piece of paper in the front to see if its sucks up

open up the thermostat housing to remove and replace

personally i ve seen so many radiators run on water which will only accumulate to rusting over time so i doubt this is the cause of over heating
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 10:01pm On Jan 30, 2013
Stallion77: I thought both fans should be on as soon as the engine comes on... cos the last time i discovered that it overheated, i checked and discovered one of the fans was disconnected so i asked someone to connect it thinking that was the cause for overheating. so honestly,i dont know what to think again cos i have had the radiator washed and flushed....all to no avail. my next move is changing the radiator as they said it is rusted and not working well, then probably check the water pump.

Before you take it up with your fans, you need to clarify something for us.

Does the needle in temp guage goes above the middle of the guage when the car is in motion (like above 60km/h) or does it only rises above middle of the guage when the car is stationaly? If the car overheats when the car is in motion (about 50-70km/h), then your radiator fans are not the issue here, because those fans shouldnt be spinning or running when the car is in motion at such speed, unless your A/C is on.

You said the cooling system was bled before you while you watched, how was it done?

Your fans arent suppose to start spinning as soon as you start the car. If that is what is happening in that engine bay, then you are saying bye-bye to that your engine, poko a poko. They need to be reverted back to the factory connection. Running the fans constantly wont stop overheating. If there is a problem with the cooling system, the system will boil like hell, whether four fans are spinning constantly or not.

There is a way you can know if the fans you said wasnt running when you checked, still have the original connection to the factory trigger. I have treated this recently in a similar topic. Its very simple. It will also help you to know if the thermostat is still in that system or have been removed. If its there, it will also help you to know if its working or has failed: stuck closed or opened. Though, it will be difficult to tell the difference between a stuck open thermostat and a system that the thermostat is lacking or been removed. In that case, you may have to open the thermostat housing to find out.

If you are very sure that you have tested for head gasket failure and it hasnt failed, then your issue is a minor one. You just need to do the right thing at the right place and you start smiling again.

That clown that told you to replace your radiator with the double cell one, what did you call him again? Mechanic? Is that how to solve a problem?

The rusty coloured water you see in your radiator was not formed in your radiator, rather, around the engine walls, as a result of the water you use only. The more you use only water, the more you see that terrible colour. It will get to a point, some tiny passages that the fluid flow around the engine wall/block will get clogged/blocked by those things that look like sand in the radiator, which will start a terrible overheating, more than the one you are experiencing now, if that is not the cause of the overheating you are having now sef. Tell that your clown to flush the cooling system by removing the drain plug/bolt on the engine block. Removing the radiator hoses is not cooling system flushing. Big quantity of fluid is still trapped in the engine block. Those are the ones that clogges the radiator or contaminates the fresh fluid when not flushed out. And the fluid in the engine block is the one that traps air in the system and needs to be bled out. So, let him do a thorough flushing and bleeding.

I would advice you use water first after the flushing and bleeding. Then test drive it a day or two. iF the overheating problem doesnt happen again, then you can take it back to him to repeat what he did: flushing and bleeding. This time, refill the system with coolant, a good one.

I still need you to answer the questions i asked above to know how to deal with your fans issue, if there is any issue with them.

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by dandollar1: 10:08pm On Jan 30, 2013
my radiator fan doesn't come on even after idling for like 15mins.is this normal,please?
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 10:17pm On Jan 30, 2013
dan_dollar: my radiator fan doesn't come on even after idling for like 15mins.is this normal,please?

No, its not.

Do you use only water or coolant in the cooling system?

If you use only water, thats what you get. If you use fake coolant, you get that too.

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 10:27pm On Jan 30, 2013
@ Op,

There is a simple method of checking if the water pump still works or not, without pulling out the pump to check the blades. Pull out the thermostat or open the thermostat housing. Some coolant will flow out, which is normal. Have someone crank the engine for you, while you stand and watch from the engine bay. As soon as the car starts or the engine starts running, the coolant or water trapped in the engine block will start flowing out like a river via the opening of the thermostat housing. Shout on the person that starts the car for you to switch off the engine immediately, so that the whole fluid in the block doesnt flow out.

If fluid flows out well, then your water pump is intact. If nothing comes out or if dripping small small water, then you have your culprit: failed water pump, likely, worn blades, as a result of water. Constant use of water in the cooling system will rust the water pump blade and the blades will disintegrate over time.

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 10:28pm On Jan 30, 2013
Ikenna351:

Before you take it up with your fans, you need to clarify something for us.

Does the needle in temp guage goes above the middle of the guage when the car is in motion (like above 60km/h) or does it only rises above middle of the guage when the car is stationaly? If the car overheats when the car is in motion (about 50-70km/h), then your radiator fans are not the issue here, because those fans shouldnt be spinning or running when the car is in motion at such speed, unless your A/C is on.

You said the cooling system was bled before you while you watched, how was it done?

Your fans arent suppose to start spinning as soon as you start the car. If that is what is happening in that engine bay, then you are saying bye-bye to that your engine, poko a poko. They need to be reverted back to the factory connection. Running the fans constantly wont stop overheating. If there is a problem with the cooling system, the system will boil like hell, whether four fans are spinning constantly or not.

There is a way you can know if the fans you said wasnt running when you checked, still have the original connection to the factory trigger. I have treated this recently in a similar topic. Its very simple. It will also help you to know if the thermostat is still in that system or have been removed. If its there, it will also help you to know if its working or has failed: stuck closed or opened. Though, it will be difficult to tell the difference between a stuck open thermostat and a system that the thermostat is lacking or been removed. In that case, you may have to open the thermostat housing to find out.

If you are very sure that you have tested for head gasket failure and it hasnt failed, then your issue is a minor one. You just need to do the right thing at the right place and you start smiling again.

That clown that told you to replace your radiator with the double cell one, what did you call him again? Mechanic? Is that how to solve a problem?

The rusty coloured water you see in your radiator was not formed in your radiator, rather, around the engine walls, as a result of the water you usr only. The more you use only water, the more you see that terrible colour. It will get to a point, some tiny passages that the fluid flow around the engine wall/block will get clogged/blocked by those things that look like sand in the radiator, which start a terrible overheating, more than the one you are experiencing now, if that is not the cause of the overheating you are having now sef. Tell that your clown to flush the cooling system by removing the flush bolt on the engine block. Removing the radiator hoses is not cooling system flushing. Big quantity of fluid is still trapped in the engine block. Those are the ones that clogges the radiator or contaminates the fresh fluid when not flushed out. And the fluid in the engine block is the one that traps air in the system and needs to be bleed out. So, let him do a thorough flushing and bleeding.

I would advice you use water first after the flushing and bleeding. Then test drive it a day or two. iF you the overheating problem doesnt happen again, then you can take it back to him to repeat what he did: flushing and bleeding. This time, refill the system with coolant, a good one.

I still need you to answer the questions i asked above to know how to deal with your fans issue, if there is any issue with them.

Ikenna.

Thanks a mill Ikenna...yes the temp guage goes above the middle of the guage wen car is in motion 50km/h and above.

It was bled by loosing one small bolt near the top of the engine that trickled water out wen water was poured into the radiator.

Is there somewhere u can refer me to in abuja pls?
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by sultaan(m): 10:35pm On Jan 30, 2013
When she said she had someone reconnect the fan, another question from that fix will be if the fan is turning in the right direction.

Whenevr the needle gets half way on the thermometer your fan should automatically come on
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 11:32pm On Jan 30, 2013
Stallion77:

Thanks a mill Ikenna...yes the temp guage goes above the middle of the guage wen car is in motion 50km/h and above.

It was bled by loosing one small bolt near the top of the engine that trickled water out wen water was poured into the radiator.

Is there somewhere u can refer me to in abuja pls?

From the answer you have given us here, your fans are not the cause of overheating. If the car is overheating at such speed, then the culprit is somewhere else, not the fans. Though, am not saying the fans maynot have issues as well, since we are yet to know the connections done on those fans.

As for what you said about how the car cooling system was bled, it sounded like he did bleed it from the right place with the right method. But since i dont know much about Japs cooling system design, i wouldnt know if that bolt he used was actually the bleed screw or if there should be more than one bleed screw. In Peugeots with EW10 (I4) & ES9J4S (V6) engines, there cooling systems have 2 bleed screws at different locations. The two screws must be bled one after the other. I donot know the bleeding process of your Honda. You may have to google it to find out.

As for suggesting a workshop for you in Abuja, i hardly do that. Those clowns are good at putting people in trouble. I cant vouch for any of them, including those at APO. Am not saying you cant find a good one in Abuja, you just have to take that risk till you find one, because am yet to find one i can vouch for. They are good in some areas, but not in delicate or sensitive part of cars like cooling system, EFI system, etc. If your car was a Peugeot, i would have asked you to bring it to me over the weekend to deal with it myself. But thats unfortunate.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 12:01am On Jan 31, 2013
sultaan: When she said she had someone reconnect the fan, another question from that fix will be if the fan is turning in the right direction.

Whenevr the needle gets half way on the thermometer your fan should automatically come on

A very good point Sultaan. Who knows if they reconnected the fan wrongly by pushing air, instead of pulling air/heat out of the radiator.

Op, someone here has mentioned how to test the working of a radiator fan with a paper or plastic bag, at the other side of the radiator. That will tell you if the fan is sucking air or heat out of the radiator or pushing in air. It will be wrong to push in air, since the fan is mounted behind the radiator, facing the engine. It would have been ideal to connect it to push in air, if the fans are mounted infront of the radiator, behind the front grille.

Start the car, when the fans start spinning, put a paper or plastic bag directly infront of the radiator. If the paper magnets to the radiator, then the fans are spinning in the right direction. If it doesnt magnet, instead pushing the paper away, then it was wrongly connected. The connections will need to be reversed. Its not a big deal. Any clown can do that. Goodluck!

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 12:14am On Jan 31, 2013
Thanks alot Ikenna and Sultaan...i will test the fan connection at dawn,and make sure an engine block flush is done.
Thanks again.... But u sha ignored my last question Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by sultaan(m): 1:01am On Jan 31, 2013
For a little bit of humor here.

Emm emm Ikenna, a damsel in distress looking for a capable handy person in Abuja. All that I see on my screen right now is opportunity.

But the world need more people like you. grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 8:22pm On Jan 31, 2013
Stallion77: Thanks alot Ikenna and Sultaan...i will test the fan connection at dawn,and make sure an engine block flush is done.
Thanks again.... But u sha ignored my last question Ikenna.

How did it go? Any improvement?

I didnt ignore your question actually. It just that i didnt want you to come back and say "You sent my car to its early grave", simply because i recommended someone i didnt trust enough not to complicate issues more.

Can you bring the car to me on Saturday to look at it and see what i can do, if the issues are yet to be fixed?

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 6:18am On Feb 01, 2013
Ikenna351:

How did it go? Any improvement?

I didnt ignore your question actually. It just that i didnt want you to come back and say "You sent my car to its early grave", simply because i recommended someone i didnt trust enough not to complicate issues more.

Can you bring the car to me on Saturday to look at it and see what i can do, if the issues are yet to be fixed?

Ikenna.

Ok...I get it. I did the radiator fan test...the fan at the driver's side sucked in the paper but the other fan did not suck it in as sharp as the other one did and it did not blow it away either the sucking in was kinda weak... But both fan speed are thesame.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Recent Revolutionary Innovations In The Automotive Sector / Brake Pads And Brake Lining Which Is More Effective? / Car AC Works Well Only In The Morning And Evening But Struggles In Hot Afternoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.