Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,787 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? (9534 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 3:22pm On Feb 01, 2013
Stallion77:

Ok...I get it. I did the radiator fan test...the fan at the driver's side sucked in the paper but the other fan did not suck it in as sharp as the other one did and it did not blow it away either the sucking in was kinda weak... But both fan speed are thesame.

"..both fans speed are the same"

*scratch my head*

Ehhh! Which side of the radiator is the A/C condenser mounted? Or does the condenser have the same length of the radiator, at the other side? That is, if the consider is still there, since you are no longer using the A/C. I dont know the size of Honda Accord 2001 (Baby boy) radiator & condenser, and how they are positioned, both the I4 & V6. But I do know that Honda Civic '97 model has two fans: one for the radiator, while the second for the condenser. Both the radiator & condenser of the car are small, mounted parallel to each other. Each has its own fan attached. Both dont spin at the sametime: Condenser fan spins only when A/C is on, while the radiator fan spins when the fan sensor triggers it, whether A/C is on or not.

I also Know that Honda Accord 2004 V6 (EOD) has a long sized radiator and condenser( almost the same length). The condenser is mounted infront of the radiator. 2 big fans (suck/pull fans) are mounted behind the radiator. The fans go on and off, controlled by trigger sensor, for the radiator/engine cooling system. Then switching on the A/C will switch on the fans too.

So, since i dont know yours, i need to be sure if your radiator fins are clogged or not, since you said one fan is not sucking air properly. Am not really into Japs, which i have noted before. You still need to clarify somethings.

But, i will say it again, if your car overheats when your car is doing more than 50-70km/h, then the radiator fans are not the cause of the overheating.

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 11:32am On Feb 02, 2013
After the bleeding of the engine block...i believe it has stopped overheating...But i have a question to ask pls... After driving for about 10kms and park, when you feel the fat pipe that connects from the top of the radiator to the engine...is it supposed to be strong when u squeeze it or soft? Cos i know dat dat its usually soft wen the engine has cooled. So does it mean anything wen d engine is hot and its firm? as in, hard to squeeze? Or is it just normal.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Ikenna351(m): 4:24pm On Feb 02, 2013
Stallion77: After the bleeding of the engine block...i believe it has stopped overheating...But i have a question to ask pls... After driving for about 10kms and park, when you feel the fat pipe that connects from the top of the radiator to the engine...is it supposed to be strong when u squeeze it or soft? Cos i know dat dat its usually soft wen the engine has cooled. So does it mean anything wen d engine is hot and its firm? as in, hard to squeeze? Or is it just normal.

Am not sure i understand what you mean by "fat pipe that connects from top of the radiator to the engine". Do you mean the upper radiator hose/tube?

I really dont know about the firmnes and softness of a radiator hose when hot or cold. But i believe when a rubber or hose is hot, it should be soft, right? Unless they have removed your car engine cooling system thermostat, making the fluid running inside the system to be cold all the time, thereby making the upper radiator hose to be hard to press in when engine should have warmed. Or that the radiator fans are spinning constantly as well, preventing the engine, via the coolant, from warming up to its optimal temperature.

One thing i know is that when you have air in the cooling system or when system is overheating, the upper hose will expand. Then, when your cooling system is loosing coolant, the upper radiator hose will shrink or be pressed in on its own, when the engine is hot.

Ikenna.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 3:00pm On Feb 03, 2013
I drove from Lugbe to Aso drive,stayed for about 3hrs then drove to wuse market,then to Jabi and back to Lugbe....and here is the diagram of my temperature guage below.

The dark foto was wen i got home while the brighter one was taken in wuse market.

Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 3:09pm On Feb 03, 2013
Thanks guys!
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by sultaan(m): 9:26pm On Feb 03, 2013
Temp is not bad just running a christmas tree on your dash
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by Stallion77(f): 7:10am On Feb 04, 2013
sultaan: Temp is not bad just running a christmas tree on your dash

No be small christmas tree o! grin
ABS,SRS and seatbelt...even check engine light sef dey on. Na small small...it is well....
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by auhanson(m): 10:39pm On Feb 09, 2013
Stallion77: I recently experience over heating with my Honda babyboy 1999 and along the line, i was told my gasket was burnt as the water from the radiator was oozing out wen the engine was running... i had that fixed only to discover that the temperature went up again and water was leaking from a pipe,the mechanics said its the AC pipe and i dont use the AC. I had that fixed and just a little drive of less than 2km,the car temperature goes nearly above the middle. I was then told that my single cell radiator has expired and does not work as efficiently as it should and that i need to change it to a double cell radiator and things will normalize...here lies my question, is that really the problem?

Your candid responses would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Stallion, Learn from my experience and try same , it might work for you:

"For about 5 days i have been experiencing overheating and temperature range of over hundred and something degrees.. To cut the long story short, out of curiosity,i went for flushing and bleeding of my radiator, while i open the compartment i noticed the missing thermostat,the overheating contd. I got myself another one that read 87 degrees, then i proceeded for a steam wash and from that moment henceforth once my temp got to that 87 degrees it doesn't go too much further than that, but rather comes down despite the kind of holdup i found myself, and despite the length of idle steaming and the actual weather condition contrary to my previous experience.this confirms that the thermostat is necessary contrary to our local mechanics and peeps point of views. Just get the right temperature reading thermostat for your region,thoroughly steam wash your engine and radiator, and that will serve you all the headache . This is a practical experience, i'm now happy with my benz c180."
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by OliviaNelson: 6:35pm On Nov 17, 2021
It is good advice to rinse everything and take a steam, in fact, this can solve many problems. Sometimes it is worth replacing the radiator fan, as there are also problems with it. I recently did this and found a good manufacturer in China (https://www.chinatongchi.com/) who does this available.
Re: How Do You Know That Your Radiator Is ''expired''? by nymphomaniac(m): 8:46pm On Nov 17, 2021
sultaan:
For a little bit of humor here.

Emm emm Ikenna, a damsel in distress looking for a capable handy person in Abuja. All that I see on my screen right now is opportunity.

But the world need more people like you. grin
8 years on, I doubt he has changed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. / New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car / Brake Pads And Brake Lining Which Is More Effective?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.