Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,440 members, 7,826,696 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. (2490 Views)

Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing / Did You Make Nairaland Frontpage In 2012? / My Nairaland Frontpage "Mod" For SMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by JUNIT1(m): 11:06am On Mar 06, 2008
I'M CONFUSED GIMMIE AND LETS SHARE SOME TIPS.[b][/b]
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by seuen: 1:18pm On Mar 06, 2008
u mean Microsoft Front Page. Well, it's not bad but I personally prefer to use Dreamweaver, used it in the past but and wasn't satisfied with the result so Imoved to dreamweaver. I've seen some deadly websites designed with frontpage.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by my2cents(m): 3:01pm On Mar 06, 2008
what is an "official" website anyways? cool

Whether it is a site that has one page that says, "hello world" or it is a "deadly" website, I would probably move away from frontpage - it is meant for the beginner/someone who just wants to put up a website without having to know all the details. I would personally go for homesite (HS) (which I use) or dreamweaver (DW).

Heck, you could even use notepad (which I have used even recently shocked shocked). DW and HS, etc are nothing but glorified text editors anyway. Bottomline, use a tool that gives you more control over your code. That way, when something breaks, you aren't left hanging as you would know what is causing the break and most importantly, how to fix it.

I hope this helps.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by dababy2008(m): 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2008
Please kind swtich to Dreamweaver. Microsoft is not ready to make their software flexible for web development.

Thanks
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by webguru(m): 11:11pm On Mar 06, 2008
@ dababy
i don't understand you

@ poster

you can use frontpage 2007/2008 the latest sha

i love the layers simplicity

does anyone know if homesite is available in naija CV

i need to feel it

dreamweaver is nt good for programming like php et al bt its powerful

so all are text editors, use anyone
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by ThePhantom(m): 6:31am On Mar 07, 2008
Frontpage is ok, but Dreamweaver is way better.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by Afam(m): 8:56am On Mar 07, 2008
webguru:

dreamweaver is nt good for programming like php et al bt its powerful

How is dreamweaver not good for programming like PHP?

PHP is a programming language.

Dreamweaver is a development platform that supports amongst other languages PHP and even My SQL.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by Neptune(m): 9:54am On Mar 07, 2008
i use dreamweaver & frontpage. the new front page is now Microsoft Web Designer, so theres no more frontpage. and personally, i prefer front page. after learning the basics, i prefer to think microsoft is just trying to make things easy for everybody unlike what people like thisĀ 
Microsoft is not ready to make their software flexible for web development.
think. just make sure that anyone of them u use, u get to know the basics, i.e u know what you're doing so when u have to use things like note pad to design a site u don't go"can u design a site on notepad?"
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by JUNIT1(m): 12:40pm On Mar 07, 2008
doesn't php allow you to use templates to create the website, does frontpage or dreaweaver do that, and also when the website is hosted, which one adapts easier to the hosting, i mean which one is more clearer bolder, ore easier to work with, e.t.c
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by my2cents(m): 12:50pm On Mar 07, 2008
J UNIT,

Refer to Afam's post above, with respect to the differences b/w PHP and dreamweaver/frontpage.

Frontpage extensions aside, Web hosts support a variety of languages by default. It's just a matter of asking which ones they support and which ones they don't.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by smartsoft(m): 4:04pm On Mar 08, 2008
J Unit you are just yarning rubbish can't you see what they told you there ? you are asking about PHP. when you ask about Frontpage
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by tundewoods(m): 4:29pm On Mar 08, 2008
I am sensing trouble on this thread ! cool
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by JUNIT1(m): 6:06am On Mar 10, 2008
shut up smartsoft, if you don't like my comments, just shut up instead of writting where it doesn't concern you. attention seeking maniac
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by mavtrevor(m): 10:06am On Mar 11, 2008
However professional you think you can be, you cannot creat a website that looks so professional with frontpage bro.

Frontpage is just for begginers who dont know anything about design to practice. So if you want to design, i will recommend dreamweaver for you. Though there are other web desinging softwares that are better than dreamweaver, checkout WYSIWUG that what you see is what you get.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by tomX1(m): 7:56am On Mar 12, 2008
FrontPage is quite good. People who critisize it most often have not realy explored its features deep enough. Except for the nice references you get in dreamweaver let someone please mention something you can do in Dreamweaver that you think you can do just as well in FrontPage. I use both and they are both good.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by smartsoft(m): 5:40pm On Mar 13, 2008
Ok sir my mouth is shut up !
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by tomX1(m): 6:45pm On Mar 23, 2008
mavtrevor:

However professional you think you can be, you cannot creat a website that looks so professional with frontpage bro.

Frontpage is just for begginers who don't know anything about design to practice.
So if you want to design, i will recommend dreamweaver for you. Though there are other web desinging softwares that are better than dreamweaver, checkout WYSIWUG that what you see is what you get.

I realy jope you are not confussing "Front Page Express" with "Front Page" because that would be like confusing "Word Pad" with "Word".
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by smartsoft(m): 8:41pm On Mar 23, 2008
hey stop that or else i go slap you, Which Software out there is beta of ADOBE DREAMWEAVER ? tell me please ooo
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by africanboy(m): 1:14am On Mar 24, 2008
I am assuming the poster referencing Frontpage 2008 actually meant Visual Web Developer. As Frontpage is officially dead.

VWD is a lovely tool, would have been better than Dreamweaver (been using dreamweaver since version 2) if only it supported more than ASP.NET or had Server behaviours.

Dreamweaver tends to be slow unless you have like 2gb ram. Also has some other faults, especially with the HTML is generates. Sometimes bulky.

mavtrevor:

Frontpage is just for begginers who don't know anything about design to practice. So if you want to design, i will recommend dreamweaver for you. Though there are other web desinging softwares that are better than dreamweaver, checkout WYSIWUG that what you see is what you get.
you obviously havent seen the wonderous works of users of frontpage.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by smartsoft(m): 8:35am On Mar 24, 2008
Africanboy, the fella just said Frontpage ooo i belive you say VWD is good, ya, i love it but i will say maybe you haven't gone so deep much on Dreamweaver, even if you start with Version 1.

I don't think Dreamweaver is that slow it all boils down to your system brother, i think if you look closely well you will see that it really support more than ASP.NET.

You see if you have alot of Dreamweaver extention, tell me what you woun't be able to do just like VWD huh ? infact you can just do what ever you want to do on your Dreamweaver i mean your layout and copy the codes and paste it on VWD, and also if you know how to work on your Server Behaviours well, just like some folks here, you will do so well bro in some of your Applications, but remember you going to do some raw coding too.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by kazey(m): 9:11am On Mar 24, 2008
I am amazed that you guys actually think using WYSIWYG interfaces or not differentiates you from being a pro or not.

Windows Frontpage is good for designing any website, if you know how to use it properly. I have used frontpage before, well 3 years or so ago, and my designs were very good back then when I used frontpage. I simply stopped using any WYSIWYG editors because, I am more comfortable with text editors. I love my Emeditor smiley So use your WYSIWYG editors as you please, if you are good at using them.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by smartsoft(m): 9:29am On Mar 24, 2008
Do you say you design[b] Kazey [/b] ? thats serious ooo well no hard knocks but what i know you for then is you customizing anything you lay your hands on, dunno you now design, hummmmmmmmmm
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by kazey(m): 9:33am On Mar 24, 2008
Define design and customize and differentiate them. Customization involves designing things too, to meet your custom requirements. In fact its more difficult, that is assuming we agree that I only customize.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 24, 2008
i started with frontpage later switch dreamweaver and i will tell dreamweaver is better and it work with php well
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by smartsoft(m): 11:51am On Mar 24, 2008
ehen you just define that yourself, !
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 24, 2008
funny thread,
who says you can't design a professional website with frontpage?

I work with dreamweaver but still cant figure out why microsoft is not improving on their frontpage and moreover, their non-improvement has cost them something, i am now addicted to adobe dreamweaver so, even if they now make their software a create-a-complex-website wizard, I dont care

about J UNIT, Pls do more research

I will try homesite as my2cents has just said
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by africanboy(m): 12:25pm On Mar 24, 2008
smartsoft:

Africanboy, the fella just said Frontpage ooo i believe you say VWD is good, ya, i love it but i will say maybe you haven't gone so deep much on Dreamweaver, even if you start with Version 1.

i am very adept at using dreamweaver, i use it everyday. my livelihood depends on it.

if the guy is still using frontpage, i am surprised. considering that the last released version was with office 2003. 5 years ago.

http://weblogs.asp.net/conrad/archive/2005/11/10/430154.aspx

do a google search for frontpage and "visual web developer"
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by damolat: 4:31pm On Mar 24, 2008
I believe any accomplished web designer should be able to use any software to generate their codes including notepad. However, if you need to do a speed job or feeling a bit lazy or new into the trade and want to use a wizard application, then dreamweaver is the preferred choice.

So my answer will be yea front page is good for developing websites.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by tundewoods(m): 9:49pm On Mar 24, 2008
Ok what do we have here
A couple of web professionals arguing about whether professional websites can be derived from the once popular microsoft frotpage or which web WYSIWYG software is better actually better undecided

Simple fact is that most of you guys should just grow up !One man's meat is another man's poison.
From my experience microsoft frontpage has its own advantages and disadvantages.Dreamweaver i must commend is a top notch when it comes to deriving server based applications.

No big deal if some extravagant developers can had code in Notepad but the bottom line is the end product or project delivery.

The truth is that some folks out there can use microsoft frontpage to arrive at better optimised websites than those done by some of the dreamweaver / golive/ homesite/ netpages / coolpages enthusiasts
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by smartsoft(m): 9:38am On Mar 25, 2008
A guy sang a songs that says " SAME NI " in yoruba language in other words he meants everything are same thing, if you use Dreamweaver or Frontpage or whatever programm, same ni
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by my2cents(m): 11:35am On Mar 25, 2008
mba nu smartsoft cool

I drive a hummer and you drive a tokunbor "end of discussion". Both na car, but both na "same ni"? I don't think so man.

Odikwa necessary to point out the difference biko tongue

All Web Editors can be used to create a site but they have their levels. Some have something the other lacks. Some have the power to do what others can't. Why u think say DW dey very popular as opposed to say, FP?

Where I reside, if you go over 100 job applications, you will never see FP being mentioned. Never. You are more likely to see, "must know how to hand code" than "must know how to use DW or any other WYSIWYG". In fact, I have an MCP certification in FP (from 2001 - probably expired I know, so don't go there tongue) but when I discovered that putting it on my CV actually hurt my chances of getting a job (because it implies you don't know what is going on behind the scenes), I removed it from my CV. Now, you won't even find the card in my wallet grin I personally prefer getting your hands dirty and using a text editor as you learn more that way, but that's just my preference.

FP can be used to design "official" websites (whatever that means), the same way DW can be used to develop a crappy site. From a commercial/corporate standpoint though, you probably don't want to use FP.
Re: Is Windows Frontpage Good For Designing Official Websites. by damolat: 2:36pm On Mar 25, 2008
No big deal if some extravagant developers can had code in Notepad but the bottom line is the end product or project delivery.

IMHO, I think it is a required skill, and not an extravagant practice, because every web developer should strive to be at the top. In high profile development projects, you realize that the development work is carried out by a team of variously skilled individuals. Front end developers, back end, testers, application developers, accessibility/usability implementation and all other various neccessary skills. Only a hardcoded website can allow for ease of interaction and comprehension between all these parties involved in the development process. To be more precise, issues like consistent naming conventions, spacing and ease of readability etc, and even when it gets to back end development, a lot of other issues make hardcoding a must. What do u think??

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC And Domain Name! / Host A Website For Just N200 / Get a Free .com .net .org .biz Domain Name With Our Premium Hosting Plan!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.