Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? (6079 Views)

China Is Better For Africa Than The West / Is China Better Than The West / Is China A Threat To World Peace And Security? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 30, 2013
China is a totalitarian nation. The Chinese Communist Party crushes any opposition to its rule. I suspect that China will exploit whatever resources are available in Africa and then do the same to other developing regions.The only thing they do is destroy, pollute and exploit.
it can not be good!

1 Like

Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by prettyboi1(m): 5:54pm On Jan 30, 2013
ehie: Good

China has contributed a lot in Africa,in fact the whole telecommunication networks infrastructure in Nigeria have been due to cheap and affordable infrastructure by Chinese telecommunication companies in Nigeria,like Huwaeii,ZTE,CITCC...

That has in turn created jobs directly or indirectly for Nigeria,we have civil engineers building BTS SITES and civil works for Optic Fibers for service providers,we have retailers providing most telecom infrastructure,we have service providers employing staff,we have small scale business men etc...

people will say that the Chinese they provide cheap goods to the detriment of our unemployed,but as long as we have failed to get our industrial capacity up,we will have the unemployed however, untill then we need these goods

The west was dominant from the 60's to the 2000's in our market,with expensive goods that was to their benefit not to ours,now we can afford everything cheaply,brand new clothes not okrika,new tv's not second hand any more etc.
we benefit more from the Chinese,until we revamp our industrial sector that is...

its about time
we are tired of being the West's beggarly relative or its basket case.
we can only do this if we are considered as Equals not as inferiors..

My Nairaland crush. Ehie,once again you impress me & I couldn't agree any less with you.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 30, 2013
pretty_boi:

My Nairaland crush. Ehie,once again you impress me & I couldn't agree any less with you.
thanx sweety
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by easyresearch(m): 6:55pm On Jan 30, 2013
i support china initiative in africa development.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by igbo2011(m): 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
Too many foreigners in Africa. Africans need to work together and stop being exploited!

2 Likes

Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Upright750: 7:36pm On Jan 30, 2013
yes . if not fr Chinese every thing the middle class people will be using for Africa will be second handed things. even your pant. infarct the O K means second clothes has even change some people mentality because they have come to believe that OK clothes and shoes are the best because it came from Europe but when they check the label they will see that all is made in china clothes and shoes. But the major problem is that we nigerians went to china and ask for the cheapest material to the extend that Chinese believe that Africa like cheep things.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Wallie(m): 7:45pm On Jan 30, 2013
ehie: Good

China has contributed a lot in Africa,in fact the whole telecommunication networks infrastructure in Nigeria have been due to cheap and affordable infrastructure by Chinese telecommunication companies in Nigeria,like Huwaeii,ZTE,CITCC...

That has in turn created jobs directly or indirectly for Nigeria,we have civil engineers building BTS SITES and civil works for Optic Fibers for service providers,we have retailers providing most telecom infrastructure,we have service providers employing staff,we have small scale business men etc...

people will say that the Chinese they provide cheap goods to the detriment of our unemployed,but as long as we have failed to get our industrial capacity up,we will have the unemployed however, untill then we need these goods

The west was dominant from the 60's to the 2000's in our market,with expensive goods that was to their benefit not to ours,now we can afford everything cheaply,brand new clothes not okrika,new tv's not second hand any more etc.
we benefit more from the Chinese,until we revamp our industrial sector that is...

its about time
we are tired of being the West's beggarly relative or its basket case.
we can only do this if we are considered as Equals not as inferiors..

I think you're focusing on a different aspect of China’s dominance that has nothing to do with Nigeria per se but the world in general.

No doubt that cheap products from China make things more affordable but bear in mind that there's always at cost associated with. If a country floods one's market with cheap imported goods, one will be literally killing local manufacturing companies that create local employment.

Let's take textiles for example. A Nigerian consumer might be able to now buy lace for cheaper with better quality but that means local companies will go out of business if they can't compete. Moreover, your importation is literally subsidizing the Chinese economy. They can now afford to hire more people because the dollars flow back to China, create better technologies, further decrease the price of goods, create more wealth over there and make their country richer.

They can now turn around and give you handouts!

This topic is focused on China’s investments in Africa. They go to African countries and invest mostly in energy – energy which they need to survive and is unavailable anywhere else.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by AjanleKoko: 8:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
Wallie:

This topic is focused on China’s investments in Africa. They go to African countries and invest mostly in energy – energy which they need to survive and is unavailable anywhere else.

Ironically, the Chinese are trying to play in a lot of sectors in Nigeria. Not only energy. In fact, Nigerian crude exports to China is less than 2% of its total crude output.

Julius Berger is still getting the pick of top construction projects. But CCECC has been knocking on the door for years, and is finally getting major projects like Lagos Light Rail, Abuja Light Rail, Abuja Expressway, etc. Give them another 10 years and they might be the go-to player in that sector.

Huawei is the number one equipment supplier in Nigeria now, as far as telecom carriers are concerned. As recent as 2006, they were begging to install their VAS platforms in any telco that gave them a chance.
Tecno, the low-cost phone maker, is almost level with Nokia in terms of market share in Nigeria. They've introduced low-cost android phones into the Nigerian market. Now that'll help bridge the digital divide in a nation where the bulk of Internet access is via the mobile phone.

There is also some cooperation in the areas of agriculture, healthcare (a $12m hospital was commissioned recently), and construction (more construction). Those areas I don't know too much about. But the area I am aware of (telecom) is definitely productive in Nigeria. Huawei and ZTE have employed far more Nigerians than Ericsson, Nokia Siemens, Alcatel put together.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Ironically, the Chinese are trying to play in a lot of sectors in Nigeria. Not only energy. In fact, Nigerian crude exports to China is less than 2% of its total crude output.

Julius Berger is still getting the pick of top construction projects. But CCECC has been knocking on the door for years, and is finally getting major projects like Lagos Light Rail, Abuja Light Rail, Abuja Expressway, etc. Give them another 10 years and they might be the go-to player in that sector.

Huawei is the number one equipment supplier in Nigeria now, as far as telecom carriers are concerned. As recent as 2006, they were begging to install their VAS platforms in any telco that gave them a chance.
Tecno, the low-cost phone maker, is almost level with Nokia in terms of market share in Nigeria. They've introduced low-cost android phones into the Nigerian market. Now that'll help bridge the digital divide in a nation where the bulk of Internet access is via the mobile phone.

There is also some cooperation in the areas of agriculture, healthcare (a $12m hospital was commissioned recently), and construction (more construction). Those areas I don't know too much about. But the area I am aware of (telecom) is definitely productive in Nigeria. Huawei and ZTE have employed far more Nigerians than Ericsson, Nokia Siemens, Alcatel put together.

they pay crap though, unless things have changed. had an interview with them back in 2003/4 or thereabouts - offered me 50k
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by AjanleKoko: 8:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
oyb:

they pay crap though, unless things have changed. had an interview with them back in 2003/4 or thereabouts - offered me 50k

Actually the pay should not be a problem for Nigerians at this point.
Especially when the alternative is guaranteed lifetime unemployment or underemployment. My own first salary, in the late 90s, was eight thousand naira. Didn't mind much, so long as I had the opportunity to learn.

They also pay their own workers crap by our standards. Even in China.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Hoodrat(m): 8:38pm On Jan 30, 2013
Are african good for china in china? Go to china to see the reality of life and how africans are treated. Until we set ourselves free from mental slavery and develop our continent all jack and tome will still be here to loot out our treasure to develop their country. African I weep for una I wrote a post some days ago analyzing the issue and the solution from this mess up world we create for ourselves.
some people not ashamed here debating on failure to build their continent and safe guard the future of our children some are rejoicing over foreigner looting out our treasure. Handicapped set of human being.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by AjanleKoko: 8:48pm On Jan 30, 2013
Hoodrat: Are african good for china in china? Go to china to see the reality of life and how africans are treated. Until we set ourselves free from mental slavery and develop our continent all jack and tome will still be here to loot out our treasure to develop their country. African I weep for una I wrote a post some days ago analyzing the issue and the solution from this mess up world we create for ourselves.
some people not ashamed here debating on failure to build their continent and safe guard the future of our children some are rejoicing over foreigner looting out our treasure. Handicapped set of human being.

How has this lamentation changed anything?
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Dibiachukwu: 11:00pm On Jan 30, 2013
Is Africa a wife to be married? Africans still won't learn to be vigilant. Africa's resources are not limitless. Africa has to scale down on mining. Africa is not a minefield!
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Wallie(m): 11:02pm On Jan 30, 2013
AjanleKoko:

That's great! We've achieved Step 1 which is to have the goods in Nigeria; it is now time for Step 2.

Step 2: Our market potential should be well known to all the foreign companies playing in our country, it is time to get them to invest more into our people. An easy way to do that is to add more tariffs onto finished products and let the parts or first layer assembly come into the country for free. In other words, force them to assemble the products in Nigeria. Products include any electronics having a market larger than X.

After Step 2 is accomplished, then I'll move on to Step 3. shocked

Step 3: Based on our strengths or capabilities, I’ll identify selected components or sub-assemblies that can be manufactured locally and impose tariff on the imported components. Or you could say X% of a product has to be locally sourced.

I'm surprised nobody raised issues I would run into with the WTO (World Trade Organization). Well, they can go suck a lemon for the time being. grin

My goal is to create a more skilled local workforce.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by newmaonza: 11:02pm On Jan 30, 2013
I think China has really been Good to Africa cos If not for them,,,, Africa would have been behind by 20years,I see the Chinese as very good Business-Men, the WEST wanted to Punish Africa for their sins and China came to the Rescue offering us Protection and Cheap Goods for just Our Mineral resources that are useless to us Africans "until needed by the west".
Itz High time Black Africans should learn from this window of opportunity that China has offered us and become self sufficient cos when they get a cheaper option to Africa............Only God Knows
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by stankezzy: 11:46pm On Jan 30, 2013
Hoodrat: Are african good for china in china? Go to china to see the reality of life and how africans are treated. Until we set ourselves free from mental slavery and develop our continent all jack and tome will still be here to loot out our treasure to develop their country. African I weep for una I wrote a post some days ago analyzing the issue and the solution from this mess up world we create for ourselves.
china is better than the west in dealing with africa,but we africans are suppose to be ashamed of our selfs.are we not created the same day or are they having two heads.i still remember one of my lecturer back in skool days that was teaching us circuit theory nd said no body will use one text book called teraja.his reason that he skooled in india nd he nd the writer were in the same class while he top the class because is like he came out with 1st class,the teraja was among the last in the class.but after graduation where is my lecture ,he ended up in class room with notoing to show about ,where is teraja,he is a world known resercher and publisher.africans do not develop them selfes they always look for who to blame.SHAME UN US.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Dibiachukwu: 12:44am On Jan 31, 2013
new maonza: I think China has really been Good to Africa cos If not for them,,,, Africa would have been behind by 20years,I see the Chinese as very good Business-Men, the WEST wanted to Punish Africa for their sins and China came to the Rescue offering us Protection and Cheap Goods for just Our Mineral resources that are useless to us Africans "until needed by the west".
Itz High time Black Africans should learn from this window of opportunity that China has offered us and become self sufficient cos when they get a cheaper option to Africa............Only God Knows
We don't need business partners. We don't need anything from anyone. Africa is not a mine field!!!!
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by beauty4(f): 7:42am On Jan 31, 2013
If you think Chinese are occcupying Naija, check out the indian populace increase. Chinese help us develop our economy but these Hindus ............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, they tap our country's economy and sends straight to their country.
Afriend of mine told me in his company, they import everything fom indian, even hammers and testers, cos the management consist of indians, if they re chinese, they will rather create these things in Naija helping us improve.

Infact we need to take a bold decision on the Indians in this countyr as they even boss around and are mostly inhuman.

As far as Naija will improve, i don't mind China ooooooooooooo.
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by AjanleKoko: 9:25am On Jan 31, 2013
Wallie:

That's great! We've achieved Step 1 which is to have the goods in Nigeria; it is now time for Step 2.

Step 2: Our market potential should be well known to all the foreign companies playing in our country, it is time to get them to invest more into our people. An easy way to do that is to add more tariffs onto finished products and let the parts or first layer assembly come into the country for free. In other words, force them to assemble the products in Nigeria. Products include any electronics having a market larger than X.

You need to solve the problem of high operating costs, sometimes bordering on the ridiculous. Government taxation, many times multiple, lack of basic infrastructure to aid the business, environmental factors (you want to build a factory and you keep paying area boys and omo oniles etc), threats to the safety of your workers (no thanks to kidnapping), and so on.

With all these obstacles, you should even be grateful that someone wants to come to Nigeria to provide any service. That's why I commend the Chinese for their resilience. They don't camp in top class hotels or residences in Ikoyi or Victoria Island. They can be found within the communities where they work. Risks and so on notwithstanding. Hats off to them. Besides, who you wan train sef, the area boys or kidnappers?
Re: Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? by Neuen: 1:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
China is a shyt hole. I can't see why people deal with them or sanction them for their human rights abuses

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? / BREAKING NEWS: Earth To Experience 6 Days Total Darkness Dec 16-22 / Breaking News: ECOWAS Troops Given Go Ahead To Invade The Gambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.