Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:52 AM

How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter (53630 Views)

Pls Help: Catalytic Converter Missing In Exhaust Pipe / Stollen Catalytic Converter / Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2013
I drive a 2005 Toyota corolla matrix and I've had the CEL(Check engine light) on for a while now. after several researches online, i stumbled on the solution, applied it and IT WORKED FOR ME!!!
Project Name
How-To: Install An O2 Sensor Non Fouler to Eliminate a Check Engine Light with Pics

Project Description
Eliminating a check engine light cause by removing your 2nd cat or both cats

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Any
Model: Any
Year: Any
Engine: Any
Power windows: Any
Sun Roof: Any

Tool Needed
Spark plug defoulers/adaptors(2), wrenches, lubricant.

Project Time
30minutes or less

Project Cost
800 naira or less.

Available at your local auto parts store. They call it Spark Plug Adaptor

The idea behind it is when you remove the cat the 2nd O2 sensor is going to have too much air reaching the sensor that isnt filtered out, which will make the computer think the cat has gone bad. What this does is it moves the O2 sensor further away so only a limited amount of exhaust gets to the O2 sensor, it is a VERY little amount that actually gets to the sensor but as long as it is considerably less than the primary O2 sensor then it will not cause a CEL or Check Engine Light.
........PICTURES IN THE NEXT POST

2 Likes

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 6:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
PICS...
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 6:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 6:24pm On Jan 30, 2013
am having probles uploadin d pictorial description.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 7:01pm On Jan 30, 2013
...Pics coming in a minute!

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 7:11pm On Jan 30, 2013
These are the spark plug defoulers

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 7:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
Unscrew the oxygen sensors from the exhaust manifold...

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 7:19pm On Jan 30, 2013
screw in both the spark plug defoulers/adapters, the one with the tiny hole Should be directly screwed 1st to the oxygen sensor thread on the exhaust manifold & the other open one then screwed right on it. The spark plug adapters used here are the size for ford cars.

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 7:25pm On Jan 30, 2013
Then screw back the oxygen sensor right on the two spark plug adapters already inserted in the exhaust pipe. The spark plug defoulers/ adapters are only acting as spacers reducing the amount of smoke the sensor probe is exposed to, thus fooling the ECU that everything is alright....
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 7:40pm On Jan 30, 2013
Before and after the modification!

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 7:43pm On Jan 30, 2013
NOTE: before starting this modification, remove the negative terminal of your battery and put it back when u're done..dis is to allow the ECU reset. Some people say this method might reduce fuel consumption, some say no...let's have your contributions cars gurus in the house..you know yourselves!
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by nissparts(m): 12:43pm On Jan 31, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/951734/explaining-catalysts-catalyst-codes

If your catalyst was plugged up before you removed it, fuel economy will improve by doing this.
If not, no effect on fuel economy.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by me2me: 6:32pm On Mar 22, 2013
hello,
i have issues with my oxygen sensors, can i have your fone number or email to make more enquires about the oxygen sensor spacer.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by 9icetoo(m): 7:13pm On Mar 22, 2013
has your lil modification affected your fuel economy or performancein any way? Experts, what are your opinions on this? is it okay?
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Ikenna351(m): 10:40pm On Mar 22, 2013
9icetoo: has your lil modification affected your fuel economy or performancein any way? Siena, Ikenna, yungboss, what is your opinion on this? is it okay?

Would do the same modifications without a blink.

Ikenna
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by 9icetoo(m): 1:41pm On Mar 23, 2013
Ikenna351:

Ikenna

Ikenna thanks. Knew i could always count on you. I will be doing the modification today. loving this forum. grin
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Ikenna351(m): 2:13pm On Mar 23, 2013
9icetoo:

Ikenna thanks. Knew i could always count on you. I will be doing the modification today. loving this forum. grin

I have already modified mine since 2011, without wasting time, and have been enjoying it since then. The car now develops impressive power on highspeed and still retain the factory mpg,sometimes better than the factory, depending on how heavy footed i want to be. The love of V6!

As soon as my second V6 comes in, which is about to happen soon, it will be on my "Next to do list". It will be done as soon as the time and money are there. The Will is not the problem.

Please, do update us after the modification.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by cretin: 8:36pm On Mar 23, 2013
as THE PRESIDENT of FRIENDS OF THE EARTH, NIGERIA BRANCH...I SAY THIS UR MOD IS increasing the emission/pollution level of ur car...pls stop it..the catalytic converter was placed in the car to help cut down on exhaust gas/emissions.........removing is contributing to green house gases n pollution...imagine what wud happen if 30% of all car owners in lagos copied this mod?
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Ikenna351(m): 9:48pm On Mar 23, 2013
cretin: as THE PRESIDENT of FRIENDS OF THE EARTH, NIGERIA BRANCH...I SAY THIS UR MOD IS increasing the emission/pollution level of ur car...pls stop it..the catalytic converter was placed in the car to help cut down on exhaust gas/emissions.........removing is contributing to green house gases n pollution...imagine what wud happen if 30% of all car owners in lagos copied this mod?

You have your keyboard or phone to type whatever you want, while i have mine to do the same.

All those decades in Nigeria when our fathers were buying brand new cars with carburettors (no catalytic converters) and running them, shebi it wiped out Nigerian population? Did you even bother to find out when EFI cars with catalytic converters started entering Nigerian shores? So all those decades, Lagosians were not driving cars, which none of them had catalytic converter? Guy, i dont know the part of the world you stay, but i think like a Nigerian.

Why dont you go to that Lagos and count how many cars that dont emit smoke from their exhaust? Every 10 cars that pass, 6 of them, if not more, emit various colours of smoke: blue, black, white, etc. Abi those ones no be pollution? Even with 97% of cars in Lagos with catalytic converter, 70% of them pollute the environment. When 80% of cars on Nigerian roads run very thirsty, where do you think those unburnt fuel goes to? Inside the car or out of the car via the exhuast? You think catalytic converter will filter excessive fueling smoke from going out via the exhaust pipe?

By the way, i found your above post very offensive and direct insult to me. I posted on this thread as Ikenna351, as a Nairaland member, not as a moderator. So, why should you bring in the mod thing here? Next time, if you want to attack my post on a car related issue, address me as Ikenna351 or Ikenna.

Ikenna.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by micklplus(m): 12:15am On Mar 24, 2013
Oh ok!
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by nissparts(m): 1:14am On Mar 24, 2013
Ikenna,

The MOD in his response refers to Modification and not Moderator

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Nobody: 5:37am On Mar 24, 2013
For a race car or occasional use car, then it is okay. For a daily driver/commuter, you're doing your Grandchildren a disfavor.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by ateke2(m): 9:03am On Mar 24, 2013
Ikenna351:

Ikenna
ikenna could you explain further how to get rid of the catalytic converter to improve power without a CEL, cos my mechanic wants to bring down my catalytic converter(complete exsaust system) and flush it with steam
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Ikenna351(m): 8:15pm On Mar 24, 2013
For those interested in replacing their failed catalytic converters, brand new catalytic converter cost between $400 - $1,600, depending on the type on your exhaust system. So, if your car has more than one catalytic converter and they all fail, you now know how must it will cost you to replace them.

Ikenna.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Ikenna351(m): 8:49pm On Mar 24, 2013
Please, note that i never advised or suggested to anyone to remove or modified his caty. I only stated what i have done on mine and what i would do if i get another tomorrow, if i have the time and resources. However you want to run your car is no business of mine.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by cretin: 8:49am On Mar 25, 2013
Ikenna351:

You have your keyboard or phone to type whatever you want, while i have mine to do the same.

All those decades in Nigeria when our fathers were buying brand new cars with carburettors (no catalytic converters) and running them, shebi it wiped out Nigerian population? Did you even bother to find out when EFI cars with catalytic converters started entering Nigerian shores? So all those decades, Lagosians were not driving cars, which none of them had catalytic converter? Guy, i dont know the part of the world you stay, but i think like a Nigerian.

Why dont you go to that Lagos and count how many cars that dont emit smoke from their exhaust? Every 10 cars that pass, 6 of them, if not more, emit various colours of smoke: blue, black, white, etc. Abi those ones no be pollution? Even with 97% of cars in Lagos with catalytic converter, 70% of them pollute the environment. When 80% of cars on Nigerian roads run very thirsty, where do you think those unburnt fuel goes to? Inside the car or out of the car via the exhuast? You think catalytic converter will filter excessive fueling smoke from going out via the exhaust pipe? .By the way, i found your above post very offensive and direct insult to me. I posted on this thread as Ikenna351, as a Nairaland member, not as a moderator. So, why should you bring in the mod thing here? Next time, if you want to attack my post on a car related issue, address me as Ikenna351 or Ikenna. Ikenna.

too bad u choose to see my comment in that light, my intention wasnt to insult, but to educate, by mod i meant modification, not moderator.
all the same i think you shud keep ur mod to urself and stop broadcasting it 4 people to copy on a public forum.
the process of saving/preserviong the planet is a collective effort, every little effort counts...so if everybody in lagos/nigeria is doing the wrong thing. ..does that justify the wrong doing...and make it right??...would u let ur mechanic remove ur thermostat or use 20w 50 oil grade cos thats what everybody is using?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Ikenna351(m): 10:30am On Mar 25, 2013
cretin:

too bad u choose to see my comment in that light, my intention wasnt to insult, but to educate, by mod i meant modification, not moderator.
all the same i think you shud keep ur mod to urself and stop broadcasting it 4 people to copy on a public forum.
the process of saving/preserviong the planet is a collective effort, every little effort counts...so if everybody in lagos/nigeria is doing the wrong thing. ..does that justify the wrong doing...and make it right??...would u let ur mechanic remove ur thermostat or use 20w 50 oil grade cos thats what everybody is using?

I apologies for misunderstanding your post. Its just that i dont want people to see my posts in car talk as "moderator post", but as a member's post. I joined Nairaland because of Autos section. At a point a point, i left because of what the section was turning into. I came back to Nairaland when car talk was created and was shortly made a moderator after. Am still in Nairaland not because am a moderator in this section, but because of existence car talk section. The moment car talk stop to exist, i will leave Nairaland, because i belong to other dedicated car forums where am also active. Thats why am doing everything i can to make sure car talk doesn't turn into another Autos section. I could ignore other violation of forum rules in car talk, but not advert. So, am not trying to tell the public that "Ikenna351 is the car talk mod", but trying to say i want my comments here to count as a members post, not a mod one. Anyway, sorry for what i said earlier in the former post.

Am one of those that hate this thing "Everybody does it". If you check my posts, you will see where i have kicked against bandwagon propaganda. I only answered a poster a question he threw at me. And my reply to the poster was "What i would do", not what everyone should do. But i can now see i should have kept the opinion to myself or not to have answered that question. I have learnt a lesson here. Thanks for making that known to me.

If one really want to deal with this caty issue, we should first address the cause of frequent failure of caty and o2 in Nigeria. And the cause is "bad fuel". If we start using bad fuel in Nigeria, then our o2 would last longer, and our caty wont have to fail often when our o2 hasn't failed.

Running cars without caty is a minor issue compared to pollution from our generators. Not every Nigerian own cars, but almost 98% of Nigerians own and run their generators everyday. What about the listers or industrial diesel generators in our various offices that emits terrible black smoke? Every night, Nigerians run their generators that have no caty. At least, every cars have 2 or 3 exhaust pots/mufflers that do little filtering, but the generators have only one, i think.

Well, if you can be dashing me some cash to be replacing such expensive component, caty, that fails every now and then in Nigeria, i wouldn't mind o! grin

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by nissparts(m): 10:47am On Mar 25, 2013
Ikenna351:

Running cars without caty is a minor issue compared to pollution from our generators. Not every Nigerian own cars, but almost 98% of Nigerians own and run their generators everyday. What about the listers or industriar diesel generators in our various offices that emits terrible black smoke? Every night, Nigerians run their generators that had no caty. At least, every cars have 2 or 3 exhaust pots/mufflers that do little filtering, but the generators have only one, i think.
!

Ikenna

EOD
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by 9icetoo(m): 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
I have done the modification. Fitted the spacers which were a bit difficult to find. Took the car (a 2.4 litre camry i4 2002 model) for a road trip during the easter break. The performance was slightly improved although this was really noticeable at high revs. Easily got to 140 and 160 and found it a bit easier going uphill along the enugu ph portion of the highway. I calculated my fuel consumption and it was about 24.4 miles per gallon. Thats roughly 10.4 kilometers per liter. Sounds good i guess. I floored the pedal this time around so the figures arent as good as i had hoped. I usually keep to a hundred but wanted to push the car a bit this time around and test the modification. Will post the city mpg figures later. Cheers.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by DrBlack(m): 3:19am On Apr 04, 2013
sorry, where in lagos can this be done? Thanks.
Re: How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter by Pzone: 8:12am On Apr 06, 2013
@ Dr. Black, it think its a DIY!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BMW Trolls Mercedes On Halloween, Dresses AMG E53 Up To Look Like BMW M5 / Oyinbo Woman Finds Massive Python In Her Car Garage(graphic Video) / Lady Shows Off The N35m Gwagon Her Parents Bought For Her (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.