Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,501 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again (30412 Views)

Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / Am Afraid Of Applying For US Visa Again / Process Of Applying For Sweden Student Visa Without Admission Letter Except Admi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by mamathrice: 2:46am On Jan 31, 2013
Hello all. I need desperate advice.

Some might remember my story. Years ago, I went for a visa interview, denied I was pregnant and had my baby in the US. I paid all my bills and everything. When I tried to renew my visa, I was rejected twice. Both times I insisted I was not aware of my pregnancy. It has been over a year since my last interview and I am thinking of applying again. Am I wasting my time?

I went as far as to write to the US immigration people after the incident and they said I shouldn't take it personally, the consular officer has to use his discretion and that I can apply again.

What do you think? Will I be wasting my money and time? And if there's a chance I could be given a visa at all... What do I do if the old matter comes up? Insist on my story that I didn't know I was pregnant? Or just say I lied and am sorry?
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 7:58am On Jan 31, 2013
I think the issue will definitely come up again, the record will still be with them.
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by mamathrice: 8:08am On Jan 31, 2013
So what do I say then?
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 8:17am On Jan 31, 2013
mamathrice: So what do I say then?

I think there is no point asking you now why did you lie at the first place because its done already.

Since you paid for the delivery and have your receipts, come out clean and tell the truth,.... that your intention was not to cheat the system hence the reason why you paid for the delivery before leaving the state.

Though its also true that people can be pregnant without knowing it, so its up to you the line of story you want to keep.
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by Gbenge77(m): 6:07pm On Jan 31, 2013
mamathrice: Hello all. I need desperate advice.

Some might remember my story. Years ago, I went for a visa interview, denied I was pregnant and had my baby in the US. I paid all my bills and everything. When I tried to renew my visa, I was rejected twice. Both times I insisted I was not aware of my pregnancy. It has been over a year since my last interview and I am thinking of applying again. Am I wasting my time?

I went as far as to write to the US immigration people after the incident and they said I shouldn't take it personally, the consular officer has to use his discretion and that I can apply again.

What do you think? Will I be wasting my money and time? And if there's a chance I could be given a visa at all... What do I do if the old matter comes up? Insist on my story that I didn't know I was pregnant? Or just say I lied and am sorry?
At the US COSULATE,you have to be consistent with your answers.Since you have always pleaded your innocence,you gotta stick to it.See,lying or inconsistencies is a major ground for visa denial.The vos suspected that you were aware of your pregnancy ,but chose to lie about it.Thats the reason for your denials.They may be wrong,as they are always on the lookout for women who are pregnant,but lie about it so as to secure an undue advantage.They keep records,so the moment you appear for an inteview,your previous records pop up,and the vo tries to compare your answers with your previous answers.So.no matter what,you must stick with the same story.if you try to change your story,that might be considered a 'VISA FRAUD' and you could even earn yourself a ban.You were always gonna be in a difficult situation once you had that baby in the US,having told the consular officer you were not pregnant at the time.

7 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by Vicjustice: 10:14pm On Jan 31, 2013
mamathrice: Hello all. I need desperate advice.

Click this link to read about it:
https://www.nairaland.com/1050974/warning-pregnant-women-travelling-abroad
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by mamathrice: 3:48am On Feb 02, 2013
I've decided to tell the truth. I was not a deceitful person by nature and I will stop being one now. At the time of the interview, I didn't even know if I would have the baby or not - I was just afraid being pregnant would be grounds to deny me. Even after I decided to give birth, I was more worried about ensuring I paid my bills completely than the lie.

It has happened. I cannot change the past. No one gave me advice so I had no clue I would be asked such a personal question and had no clue what to answer. That is no excuse though. I should have spoken the truth. And that is what I would do going forward.

So thanks for the advice everyone but it is clear that there's really only one course of action to take. If it results in a lifetime ban or worse, so be it. I am old enough to take responsibility for my actions.

I have booked my appointment and it's next week. I'll let everyone know how the story ends.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 02, 2013
wish u d bst of luck dear since u hv decided to say d truth..ur visa ll be grantd by Hs grace..honesty is d bst policy..

2 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by lafflaff123(m): 6:30pm On Feb 02, 2013
@OP just curious. Why the desperation to go the US?you have been denied twice and i am a 100% certain you will be denied again.

Are there no other countries you can go to?something tells me you are pregnant again and want to still pull a fast one on them,unfortunately they are not stupid.

For you to have gone for an interview and gotten a visa without a noticeable bump in your stomach,must mean you had gone to the interview at the early stage,and to have stayed in the US to give birth must mean that you overstayed the 6 months usually approved for tourist visa holders.

The law your broke is not just given birth there but also going againt your visa rules by overstaying.

You can write a letter to Obama and you will still not get it, so my advice for you since you like the US very much is to wait until your child is 18 to 21 years old and working in the US to then file an immigrant visa for you,but until then try some other countries like (DUGBE)sorry,i mean UK.

Reminds me of a Senator in Nigeria representing Bauchi North in 2009 who had a visa to the US to come for Obama's swearing in,but came two weeks after he was sworn in.

He was deported back to Nigeria.

Once the US have you in their BLACK BOOK begin try DUGBE instead of wasting your time and money.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by mamathrice: 8:11pm On Feb 02, 2013
I never overstayed or broke any rules during my trip. I travelled to the US twice, first for a short visit and secondly to have my baby - I stayed for 3 months, half the duration of my i94.

Thank you, vivichocs. I don't really think the truth will help me in this case but I've come to the bitter realisation that deceit only reaps sorrow and loss.
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 10:57pm On Feb 02, 2013
lafflaff123: @OP just curious. Why the desperation to go the US?you have been denied twice and i am a 100% certain you will be denied again.

Are there no other countries you can go to?something tells me you are pregnant again and want to still pull a fast one on them,unfortunately they are not stupid.

For you to have gone for an interview and gotten a visa without a noticeable bump in your stomach,must mean you had gone to the interview at the early stage,and to have stayed in the US to give birth must mean that you overstayed the 6 months usually approved for tourist visa holders.

The law your broke is not just given birth there but also going againt your visa rules by overstaying.

You can write a letter to Obama and you will still not get it, so my advice for you since you like the US very much is to wait until your child is 18 to 21 years old and working in the US to then file an immigrant visa for you,but until then try some other countries like (DUGBE)sorry,i mean UK.

Reminds me of a Senator in Nigeria representing Bauchi North in 2009 who had a visa to the US to come for Obama's swearing in,but came two weeks after he was sworn in.

Once the US have you in their BLACK BOOK begin try DUGBE instead of wasting your time and money.

Your post is full of assumptions.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 11:00pm On Feb 02, 2013
mamathrice: I never overstayed or broke any rules during my trip. I travelled to the US twice, first for a short visit and secondly to have my baby - I stayed for 3 months, half the duration of my i94.

Thank you, vivichocs. I don't really think the truth will help me in this case but I've come to the bitter realisation that deceit only reaps sorrow and loss.

Whatever the outcome will be is not the end of the world, the mistake is made already there is not point dragging it. Go for your interview and explain things as clearer as you can.

All the very best.
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by lafflaff123(m): 4:18am On Feb 03, 2013
@Justwise of course my post is full of assumptions and yours as the EXPERT/CONSULAR OFFICER/IMMIGRATION LAWYER/KNOW ALL/EVERYBODY ELSE IS WRONG EXCEPT ME/SABI SABI/SUPER MOD is always right.

Stick to things in Europe you know about.

The United States will not tell you that you have been banned for violating any of their regulations as they are not answerable to anybody as compared to their European counter parts,but will continue to string you along by collecting your visa application fee because thats more money into their coffers.

The OP should stop wasting her time pursuing the United States and try somewhere else.

The United States is very strict against HEALTH TOURIST and that was what she was even if she paid the hospital bills.

Ever heard the word lying under OATH?the consular officer specifically ASKED her if she was PREGNANT and she LIED?it does not matter her excuse of not knowing if she wants to have the baby or not but the point is she LIED.

Pregnant women go for Visa interviews and tell the consular officers they are pregnant and still get their visa's and in her own case she played the typical NIGERIAN I AM SMARTER than everybody.

@Justwise ever gone for a US interview in your life?do you think the consular will have the time to be listening to her pleas of what happened with her not planning on having the baby in the US?her case would have been decided before she walks through the DOOR, but they have to follow the formality of conducting the interview after all she paid the visa fee for interview.

Let her go to T.B Joshua to get annointing oil,she will still be denied.

@OP try Europe. Its easier to go their and their record keeping is very poor plus if you have a baby there and have hospital payments receipt they allow you in again. But for the United States?you can continue seeing it on CNN or Cable until your child turns 18 and files for immigrant visa for you.

15 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by Gbenge77(m): 6:33am On Feb 03, 2013
@op,We shall have to wait and see what transpires at your next interview
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 9:41am On Feb 03, 2013
lafflaff123: @Justwise of course my post is full of assumptions and yours as the EXPERT/CONSULAR OFFICER/IMMIGRATION LAWYER/KNOW ALL/EVERYBODY ELSE IS WRONG EXCEPT ME/SABI SABI/SUPER MOD is always right.

Stick to things in Europe you know about.

The United States will not tell you that you have been banned for violating any of their regulations as they are not answerable to anybody as compared to their European counter parts,but will continue to string you along by collecting your visa application fee because thats more money into their coffers.

The OP should stop wasting her time pursuing the United States and try somewhere else.

The United States is very strict against HEALTH TOURIST and that was what she was even if she paid the hospital bills.

Ever heard the word lying under OATH?the consular officer specifically ASKED her if she was PREGNANT and she LIED?it does not matter her excuse of not knowing if she wants to have the baby or not but the point is she LIED.

Pregnant women go for Visa interviews and tell the consular officers they are pregnant and still get their visa's and in her own case she played the typical NIGERIAN I AM SMARTER than everybody.

@Justwise ever gone for a US interview in your life?[/b]do you think the consular will have the time to be listening to her pleas of what happened with her not planning on having the baby in the US?her case would have been decided before she walks through the DOOR, but they have to follow the formality of conducting the interview after all she paid the visa fee for interview.

Let her go to T.B Joshua to get annointing oil,she will still be denied.

[b]@OP try Europe. Its easier to go their and their record keeping is very poor plus if you have a baby there and have hospital payments receipt they allow you in again. But for the United States?you can continue seeing it on CNN or Cable until your child turns 18 and files for immigrant visa for you.

Again another baseless assumptions, you really like hearing your own voice. I have gone for US visa interview before and i don't need your lecture about how US visa rule works.

The op accepted her mistake, she zeroed down her mind to whatever the result maybe, why are you busy ranting about what she already knew? Read her post again and give yourself a break.

4 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by lafflaff123(m): 11:48am On Feb 03, 2013
And again JUSTWISE stick your mouth into things you know about instead of giving people false hope, instead of telling them the truth.

Concentrate on Cyprus,Malta and those stupid countries you are an expect in as it is not necessary you comment on everything you see on the TRAVEL page.

And for the OP i ask again,and i am sure the Consular Officer will ask you the same thing and that is WHAT EXACTLY DID YOU LEAVE BEHIND IN THE US THAT YOU SO DESPERATELY WANT TO GO BACK FOR?common sense will tell the consular officer that a lady who has ran afoul of the US VISA laws and has applied 3 Times within a short span of time ,can only mean something is not right.

If its for vacation,there are other places to go on vacations.

If its for a family visit,your family can visit you and if its for business you can go to other places or countries for business so why the United States?

Do i wish you luck after playing a fast one on the US Embassy?NO.

And that is for every fast one played on the US Embassy which later turns up discovered always end up BLOCKING the ways for other FEMALES who are not pregnant and genuinely want to come and visit the US and not give birth.

Very soon the US will introduce a law insisting people take pregnancy test from a designated hospital a week before their interview because of people like you.

@Justwise i doubt if you have seen the inside of a US Consulate in your life let alone ever been in the US as you will not be giving your crappy advice when it comes to the matters of the United States.

Make i find my IJEBU GARRI and GROUNDNUT soak this afternoon JOOR.

13 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by mamathrice: 9:14am On Feb 04, 2013
Well - am back from the interview and I did what I said I would do. I told the truth, held nothing back. I was told that my lies caused my previous refusals and I had broken the first rule of the system by lying.

I was given the visa. I left the embassy in tears. Even though I was given, it is still a very painful experience, especially as it was something that I could have avoided with a little honesty.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who ever finds herself in my shoes. Tell the truth and keep your dignity. It might not alwaysget you what you want but you will be able to hold your head high in the end.

30 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 9:39am On Feb 04, 2013
mamathrice: Well - am back from the interview and I did what I said I would do. I told the truth, held nothing back. I was told that my lies caused my previous refusals and I had broken the first rule of the system by lying.

I was given the visa. I left the embassy in tears. Even though I was given, it is still a very painful experience, especially as it was something that I could have avoided with a little honesty.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who ever finds herself in my shoes. Tell the truth and keep your dignity. It might not alwaysget you what you want but you will be able to hold your head high in the end.

Can i just say a massive congratulation!!! i'm so happy for you!

5 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 9:45am On Feb 04, 2013
lafflaff123: @OP just curious. Why the desperation to go the US?you have been denied twice and i am a 100% certain you will be denied again.

lafflaff123: And again JUSTWISE stick your mouth into things you know about instead of giving people false hope, instead of telling them the truth.

Concentrate on Cyprus,Malta and those stupid countries you are an expect in as it is not necessary you comment on everything you see on the TRAVEL page.

And for the OP i ask again,and i am sure the Consular Officer will ask you the same thing and that is WHAT EXACTLY DID YOU LEAVE BEHIND IN THE US THAT YOU SO DESPERATELY WANT TO GO BACK FOR?common sense will tell the consular officer that a lady who has ran afoul of the US VISA laws and has applied 3 Times within a short span of time ,can only mean something is not right.

If its for vacation,there are other places to go on vacations.

If its for a family visit,your family can visit you and if its for business you can go to other places or countries for business so why the United States?

Do i wish you luck after playing a fast one on the US Embassy?NO.

And that is for every fast one played on the US Embassy which later turns up discovered always end up BLOCKING the ways for other FEMALES who are not pregnant and genuinely want to come and visit the US and not give birth.

Very soon the US will introduce a law insisting people take pregnancy test from a designated hospital a week before their interview because of people like you.

@Justwise i doubt if you have seen the inside of a US Consulate in your life let alone ever been in the US as you will not be giving your crappy advice when it comes to the matters of the United States.

Make i find my IJEBU GARRI and GROUNDNUT soak this afternoon JOOR.

Sometimes it pays to shut up a bit.

52 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 9:47am On Feb 04, 2013
vivichocs: wish u d bst of luck dear since u hv decided to say d truth..ur visa ll be grantd by Hs grace..honesty is d bst policy..

You are so right on point!!

3 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 04, 2013
justwise:

Sometimes it pays to shut up a bit .

Agree completely with the bolded. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by Vicjustice: 11:14am On Feb 04, 2013
Typical Nigerian conversation, a person can not say his own opinions without getting bashing words in retaliation of insults, what a shame.
I am referring to you, lafflaff123, i followed the conversations, you made an analysis (of which myself, i disagree with some of your claims in silence): Now, as Justwise said your points are merely based on assumptions, wouldn't it have been a civilized thing to prove the validity of your claims instead of resorting to insult and mocking him for being "all knowing" and for being a moderator?

3 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by lafflaff123(m): 12:08pm On Feb 04, 2013
Storyyyyy. No be only Visa them give her sef na Citizenship.

I no believe say them GIVE her. SAhe just dey yarn that story here. Once YANKEE don put RED INK for your matter it dey dey difficult.

Once again i say na STORYYY STORRYYY.

6 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by justwise(m): 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
lafflaff123: Storyyyyy. No be only Visa them give her sef na Citizenship.

I no believe say them GIVE her. SAhe just dey yarn that story here. Once YANKEE don put RED INK for your matter it dey dey difficult.

Sad loser, you are not writing pages of rants again? Did she apply for citizenship before?

4 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 04, 2013
What a story at a very short date

Jan 31 st she was contemplating on applying.

Feb 4 th, she got her visa before 9 am.

Na wa!

22 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by meine: 2:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
lafflaff123: Storyyyyy. No be only Visa them give her sef na Citizenship.

This laff guy thinks that he knows everything about the US embassy just because he was denied a VISA there. Thats an irony. grin grin grin. I have been denied 3 times before i got multiple business visas,so what should i say? The US is one visa that i will never say never about, so Mr laff you should keep your dignity and keep quiet instead of displaying some attitude here. Congrat to the poster
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by claremont(m): 2:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
Vikin: What a story at a very short date

Jan 31 st she was contemplating on applying.

Feb 4 th, she got her visa before 9 am.

Na wa!
Exactly!

This story doesn't hold water at all.

10 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:19pm On Feb 04, 2013
Ah, ose ni eleyi o!
Anyway, If u apply & d issues comes out again, tell dem d truth. Dont change ur story cos dy v dr records watch out 4 consistency. All d best.
Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by mrkels(m): 2:19pm On Feb 04, 2013
Errrm I am confused...She got the visa just like that? HMmmmmmm

3 Likes

Re: I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again by nduchucks: 2:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
Let me first state that if you falsified your first visa application and the US embassy has evidence of the falsification, you will never be issued another visitor's visa.

Assuming that you did not falsify your visa application and you can provide proof that you paid for your child birth without using any US tax payer funds, then you have a chance. Take the evidence and possibly a letter from a US lawyer stating that he/she is representing you, to your interview.

Goodluck.

Oops: Late advice, she got the visa cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Trump Wants To Make US Visas Harder For Nigerians / Agodi Gardens! / Unmanned Drone Crashes In Borno Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.