Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,707 members, 7,955,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:25 PM

Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? (1355 Views)

Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response / "Religion Has No Place In The 21st Century"-Cambridge Debate-Dawkins vs.Williams / An Interview Of Richard Dawkins By Ben Stein (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 11:10am On Feb 01, 2013
I have been wondering about this over the years;

+Sam Harris- Calm, funny and very analytical style of speech
+Richard Dawkins- Calm and very scientific style of speech. Sounds like a lecturer.
+Chris Hitchens- aggressive and funny style of speech. Very critical and unforgiving.

I personally, prefer Hitchens mostly with a little bit of Sam Harris. I love to bash religion. I dont believe in giving a chance to apologists to spout their nonsense- I prefer to hit them hard and stop them in their tracks like Hitchens did. Furthermore, I also like to add a little bit of comedy like Sam Harris- he mocks with so much sophistication.

Now, the downfall of arguing like Hitchens is that you make so many enemies on the religious side. Even if the argument is sound, they start focusing on the pain caused and aggressive tone of the argument. The benefits to arguing like Hitchens is that you get many followers and inspire more people. Everyone loves a striker or a finisher. You become the hitman of the atheists.

Muskeeto is a great example of Sam Harris. He doesnt bash religion, he makes simple points with covert humor. Funny but incisive. Muskeeto and Sam harris have less problems with religious people because their style of speech is very calm and less inflamatory. However, the downside is that you inspire less people because you are seen as being "too nice".

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 01, 2013
Hmmm, alright, time for me to find out who this Sam Harris guy is...
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by mazaje(m): 11:36am On Feb 01, 2013
Sam Harris is the best of the 3. . .Richard Dawkins is a VERY poor debater. . .There are excellent atheist debaters like Victor Stenger, Eddy Tabash, James Cole, Susan Rice etc. . .Quali Soup is EXCELLENT.
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 01, 2013
mazaje: Sam Harris is the best of the 3. . .Richard Dawkins is a VERY poor debater. . .There are excellent atheist debaters like Victor Stenger, Eddy Tabash, James Cole, Susan Rice etc. . .Quali Soup is EXCELLENT.

Sam Harris is great.

However, I dont know those other guys
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 01, 2013
musKeeto: Hmmm, alright, time for me to find out who this Sam Harris guy is...

Better do
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by tobechi20(m): 11:56am On Feb 01, 2013
Logic boy is the best
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 11:58am On Feb 01, 2013
tobechi20: Logic boy is the best

Hey....dont go groupie on me
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Areaboy2(m): 12:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
Sam Harris anytime. I guess being a neuroscientist means he can actually carry out experiments and try to explain why the religious folks are self deluded. His style is calm and direct, he's way too clever for any apologetic.

Dawkins is rather too much of a biology professor for me and he seems to reproduce general atheistic logic without much from himself.

Hitchens was just mean! He'll Hitchslap anyone, anywhere, anytime grin. I just wished he was still alive to fck up Dinesh D'souza AGAIN (i hate that guy angry )
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Areaboy2(m): 12:59pm On Feb 01, 2013
mazaje: Sam Harris is the best of the 3. . .Richard Dawkins is a VERY poor debater. . .There are excellent atheist debaters like Victor Stenger, Eddy Tabash, James Cole, Susan Rice etc. . .Quali Soup is EXCELLENT.

Hang on, Susan Rice? US ambassador to the UN? really?
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 01, 2013
Area_boy: Sam Harris anytime. I guess being a neuroscientist means he can actually carry out experiments and try to explain why the religious folks are self deluded. His style is calm and direct, he's way too clever for any apologetic.

Dawkins is rather too much of a biology professor for me and he seems to reproduce general atheistic logic without much from himself.

Hitches was just mean! He'll Hitchslap anyone, anywhere, anytime grin. I just wished he was still alive to fck up Dinesh D'souza AGAIN (i hate that guy angry )

The hitchslap was legendary! Many apologists had their careers shettered by it!
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Vansnickers: 6:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
Area_boy:

Hang on, Susan Rice? US ambassador to the UN? really?

I also didn't know that.
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by wiegraf: 8:20pm On Feb 01, 2013
Sam harris I was expecting would be meh. By the end of chapter 1 of 'end of faith' it was rather clear he was much, much more intelligent than I was. To be fair, he'd had a 10 year start on me. And note, despite his somewhat warm exterior, he is actually very cold and objective. He probably gets in more trouble for his views than the rest because he does not hold back, and doesn't apologize. For instance, singling out islam

Hitchen's funny and agressive, but not much to be learned other than facts, not frameworks. You could say he's just a bit more practical and grounded in the real world than the others.

Dawkins is a cross between the 2, has the funny and the aggressive, as well as the scholarly. All these in moderation. He isn't going to tell a seasoned atheist anything new, but he'll solidify ideas cooking up in a laymans or young skeptics head expertly.

These cover both writing and debating style. Unquestionably sam harris for me
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 01, 2013
wiegraf: Sam harris I was expecting would be meh. By the end of chapter 1 of 'end of faith' it was rather clear he was much, much more intelligent than I was. To be fair, he'd had a 10 year start on me. And note, despite his somewhat warm exterior, he is actually very cold and objective. He probably gets in more trouble for his views than the rest because he does not hold back, and doesn't apologize. For instance, singling out islam

Hitchen's funny and agressive, but not much to be learned other than facts, not frameworks. You could say he's just a bit more practical and grounded in the real world than the others.

Dawkins is a cross between the 2, has the funny and the aggressive, as well as the scholarly. All these in moderation. He isn't going to tell a seasoned atheist anything new, but he'll solidify ideas cooking up in a laymans or young skeptics head expertly.

These cover both writing and debating style. Unquestionably sam harris for me

Harris is the man
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by cyrexx: 3:55am On Feb 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

Muskeeto is a great example of Sam Harris. He doesnt bash religion, he makes simple points with covert humor. Funny but incisive. Muskeeto and Sam harris have less problems with religious people because their style of speech is very calm and less inflamatory. However, the downside is that you inspire less people because you are seen as being "too nice".

What do you think?

I actually made an observation like that a while ago on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1134332/logicboy-meets-anony-again-philosophy/11#13726476

where I said
cyrexx:

Im waiting for that Dinesh to debate Sam Harris. I'm sure Sam will destroy him.

Sam is kinda like Muskeeto. He delivers like a comedian and makes the religionists look like fools (they call atheists fools, anyway) grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwG9pDNSAXA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWwG9pDNSAXA
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 4:10am On Feb 02, 2013
Yeah, I remember that... Mr. Cyrexx, hw u dey? A busy week, I guess?
Re: Sam Harris Vs Dawkins Vs Htichens Who Has A Better Debate Style? by Nobody: 5:12am On Feb 02, 2013
cyrexx:

I actually made an observation like that a while ago on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1134332/logicboy-meets-anony-again-philosophy/11#13726476

where I said

Muskeeto Harris

(1) (Reply)

Facts That Refuted Evolution. / St. Luke's Cathedral Jos Celebrates 100 Years / Pastor Okotie's Extravagant Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.