Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

British Dog Finds Smelly Sperm Whale Vomit On The Beach Worth $68,000!!! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / British Dog Finds Smelly Sperm Whale Vomit On The Beach Worth $68,000!!! (634 Views)

Fish Eats Drowned Guy At Elegushi Beach (PHOTO) / Man Finds Snake In Lagos Hotel (photos). / Biggest Animal - The 30ft Blue Whale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

British Dog Finds Smelly Sperm Whale Vomit On The Beach Worth $68,000!!! by fittty(m): 8:50pm On Feb 01, 2013
British Dog Finds Smelly Sperm Whale Vomit On The Beach Worth $68,000!!!

A man from Morecambe believes his dog has found a rare piece of whale vomit while walking on the beach. Ken Wilman said when Madge the dog “started poking at a rather large stone” he realised it was unusual. He left the ambergris on the beach but “something triggered in my mind” and, after doing some research, he went back to get it. The substance, which is found in the digestive system of sperm whales, is valuable and used in perfume. Mr Wilman said: “When I picked it up and smelled it I put it back down again and I thought ‘urgh’.

“It has a musky smell, but the more you smell it the nicer the smell becomes.” He is now waiting to get the 3kg (7lb) piece tested and said he had been offered 50,000 euros (£43,000) for it by a French dealer. Andrew Kitchener, principal curator of vertebrates at the National Museum of Scotland, said: “It’s worth so much because of its particular properties.

“It’s a very important base for perfumes and it’s hard to find any artificial substitute for it. “Over time it becomes a much sweeter smell as it oxidises, but initially it doesn’t smell very nice.”

Ambergris is a natural excrement thought to be used by the whale as a digestion aid and is expelled from its abdomen often while hundreds of miles away from land. The hard beaks of giant squid, a main source of food for sperm whales, have often been found inside lumps of ambergris.

Initially, it is a soft, foul-smelling matter that floats on the ocean but through exposure to the sun and the salt water over years it turns into a smooth lump of compact rock which feels waxy and has a sweet smell. It is still used in perfumes, although many perfume makers now use a synthetic version.

Source: http://bossip.com/720163/random-ridiculousness-british-dog-finds-smelly-sperm-whale-vomit-on-the-beach-worth-68000/

Re: British Dog Finds Smelly Sperm Whale Vomit On The Beach Worth $68,000!!! by Metallurgist: 7:34am On Feb 02, 2013
Too bad is not that gay dog that was sentence to death that found it, with 5000 euros that dog could hav bail himself
Re: British Dog Finds Smelly Sperm Whale Vomit On The Beach Worth $68,000!!! by chucky234(m): 8:53pm On Feb 04, 2013
Chei why no be my friend bingo find the vomit na,hungry wan finsih the guy for Queen's land.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Of Ur Failures/stagnancy In Life Do U Allege To Ur Parents&folks / Bus Driver Two In Front Seat Dead / How Did/would U Pick Your Marriage Sponsor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.