Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,157 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

5 Types Of Scams To Watch On Nairaland! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Types Of Scams To Watch On Nairaland! (702 Views)

5 Types Of Lagos Women You Should Not Underrate / Is It Advisable For Couples To Watch Sex Videos To Improve Their Sex Lives? / 5 Types Of Maternity Clothes You Need When You’re Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Types Of Scams To Watch On Nairaland! by Abujafood: 1:10pm On Feb 04, 2013
1. Pay to get a job

Job Seekers are the main target of this scam. You promised a job but a condition is set, "Pay a fee" for the job.

2. Romance aka Yahoo Yahoo!

People who pretend to love you only because they want you to care for them. Shortly after they bring to your attention their financial problems which are often fake. These scams are popular in chat rooms e.g yahoo chat, facebook chat etc but a few ingenious folks have taken to nairaland to spread this here.

3. Product Promotion/Lottery Scam

Someone contacts you usually by sms that you're the lucky winner in a product promotions lottery.

4. Contract Scam

The scammer gets your details from nairaland then contacts you claiming they have a contract for you to supply goods.

5. Online Sales Scams

When a scammer offers a product at a highly attractive price but never delivers the goods or delivers a damaged item instead.

Here on Nairaland which of these scams have you ever faced?
Re: 5 Types Of Scams To Watch On Nairaland! by EzePromoe: 1:17pm On Feb 04, 2013
None! Do they really exist?

1 Like

Re: 5 Types Of Scams To Watch On Nairaland! by EfemenaXY: 1:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
Interesting stuff here.

@Poster, tell us more about Point 1.

I was under the impression that there are some agencies out there that specialize in recruitment (say graduate recruitment for example). Doesn't it stand to reason that they'll charge customers / Job seekers for their services? If not, then how else do they make their money?

The reason I ask is because I'm curious...
Re: 5 Types Of Scams To Watch On Nairaland! by Abujafood: 2:53pm On Feb 04, 2013
Eze Promoe: None! Do they really exist?

Do they really exist? Ask one of their victims, they'll tell you everything you need to know!
Re: 5 Types Of Scams To Watch On Nairaland! by Abujafood: 2:55pm On Feb 04, 2013
Efemena_xy: Interesting stuff here.

@Poster, tell us more about Point 1.

I was under the impression that there are some agencies out there that specialize in recruitment (say graduate recruitment for example). Doesn't it stand to reason that they'll charge customers / Job seekers for their services? If not, then how else do they make their money?

The reason I ask is because I'm curious...

Point 1 is what some fake recruitment agencies do to desperate job seekers. For instance someone sending you a congratulatory sms that you've landed a job when in actual fact there isn't any. The long and short of it all is you pay registration fees for jobs that don't exist!
Re: 5 Types Of Scams To Watch On Nairaland! by Jellitah: 10:04pm On Feb 04, 2013
6. People who 'compete' with themselves ONLINE. . .CLAIMING THEY HAVE THIS AND THAT WITHOUT PROOF! wink
Awon . . . "Married to and impregnated by THE ONE AND ONLY HOLY GHOST"! wink

(1) (Reply)

Is Marrying Your Tribal Person An Asurance Of Lasting Marriage? / Can You Share These With Your SPOUSE? / Family Of Four, Neighbour Burnt In Early Morning Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.