Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) (22031 Views)

My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model / Peculiar Problems of Toyota Camry 03 (Big Daddy)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Ikenna351(m): 10:53pm On Feb 04, 2013
Find the link below:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/camry/148454-camry-with-stripped-head-bolts/#post1242970

No wonder Camry 2.4 L I4 engine (Big for Nothing) cost fortune in Nigeria, because of its frequent failure & high demand.

I would advice, if you must buy that Camry model (Big 4 Nothing), avoid one with 2.4 L engine, I4 engine entirely or any Toyota with that particular engine, 2AZ-FE.

Just saying.

Ikenna.

4 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by ziccoit: 11:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
Ikenna351: Find the link below:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/camry/148454-camry-with-stripped-head-bolts/#post1242970

No wonder Camry 2.4 L I4 engine (Big for Nothing) cost fortune in Nigeria, because of its frequent failure.

I would advice, if you must buy that Camry model (Big 4 Nothing), avoid 2003 model, 2.4 L engine, I4 engine entirely or any Toyota with that particular engine, 2AZ-FE.

Just saying.

Ikenna.

Many Nigerian owners of this car would faint if they get to read that link. grin

Big 4 nothing is actually so
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by sultaan(m): 1:01am On Feb 05, 2013
No wy toyota is the best manufacturer in the world, they are all lying; please continue to pay more for your Toyota if you disbelieve this message.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by atikubaba(m): 3:48am On Feb 05, 2013

No wonder Camry 2.4 L I4 engine (Big for Nothing) cost fortune in Nigeria, because of its frequent failure & high demand.

I would advice, if you must buy that Camry model (Big 4 Nothing), avoid 2003 model, 2.4 L engine, I4 engine entirely or any Toyota with that particular engine, 2AZ-FE.

Just saying.

Ikenna.
U r very correct IK that car is a failure ,mine is at ONDO where I abandon it due to engine failure.I ws told d engine cost 300K.I will rather buy a new car.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by semid4lyfe(m): 7:18am On Feb 05, 2013
The Post:

Camry With Stripped Head Bolts

I am a service center owner and technician of over 40 years in SC. Recently, a 2003 Camry LE w/ 70,000 miles came into my shop with a coolant leak. I consulted this forum and others to find proof of the same instance in the Toyota Camry. I write this in response to some posts I read on this site. This is to be informative for those in similar situations.

To do the exam, we pressurized the cooling system and put the car up on the lift. We immediately noticed coolant leaking from underneath the plastic INT intake Manifold in the rear of the engine. I also noticed a Large piece of foam rubber between the Intake Manifold and the Engine Block and Head. This was blocking our view of the leak. We could only see that the leak was behind the foam piece. The only option to discover the source of this leak was to remove the plastic intake manifold, which I did. After this was removed, it became obvious that coolant had been leaking a minor amount for quite some time due to build up between the cylinder head and block.

The only option left is to remove the head, which requires an exstensive disassembly (R and R cylinder head). After Loosening the bolts in sequence, I notice the head bolts in the back of the engine are loose. From my experience in the field, I can confidently conclude that this only means one of two things: The bolts were left loose at the factory, or the Bolts are stripped. ( I commonly have seen stripped bolts in the Aluminum Cadillac North Star Block discovered through leaking coolant.)

Next, I removed the head and sure enough, one bolt came out with aluminum in the thread...thus indicating a stripped bolt.

MY THEORY: The placement of the (insulation) foam rubber piece between the Intake Manifold and the engine block created an uneven dispersion of heat, creating "metal fatigue" in the aluminum block allowing the headbolt to strip.

If Toyota had out an Aluminum Manifold instead of Plastic, there would have been no need to insulate (w/ foam piece), thus eliminating the probem.

The only solution to this problem is to unforunately replace the engine. The cost to repair it otherwise would be substantial. This is an engine defect and we WILL be seeing more of this.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by stolenstone: 7:29am On Feb 05, 2013
God pls lead us not into this temptation. Make i hear, I hustle finish, tidy sequencing wella, maga come pay finish, pepper finally rest, only to come buy motor dey jollificate on top, then come notice say the coolant dey leak and i'm being told i'm gonna replace the engine of the taliban because of that! Omo na die be that na! Where i wan take see that kain pepper again na??

6 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Nobody: 7:32am On Feb 05, 2013
Well you called it a "big for nothing" so why are you complaining.change the engine and stop trying to prove you know better than Toyota.this is 2013 not 2003.

P.S

Maybe you should call their customer services to tell them you have a solution to an engine problem of a car that is out of production.thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by bizz(m): 7:40am On Feb 05, 2013
°•··♡·♥τнänκs♥·♡·•° .....really informative
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by chibyboy(m): 7:40am On Feb 05, 2013
My own is still on its way coming, and maybe i will ask them to sell it on the way before it will arive. Thanks alot for the info.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Nobody: 7:49am On Feb 05, 2013
ntia....ntia this sneezing nor go kill me.Obakpororo where my Phone make i call Akpowowo quick quick make he nor buy that caravan come for me say na motor he buy.Quick quick before he go lie say he don already buy am

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by xreal: 7:56am On Feb 05, 2013
where is Sienna, pls!
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by hrmkz: 8:03am On Feb 05, 2013
it is called factory defect.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by abdulwizzy(m): 8:09am On Feb 05, 2013
Lol big for nothing see name. Well d name still affect am...
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Ikenna351(m): 8:09am On Feb 05, 2013
hrmkz: it is called factory defect.

Meaning, even if you replace the engine 10 times, it will still happen on each of the 10 engines.

Ikenna.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by oweniwe(m): 8:14am On Feb 05, 2013
I don't know wat's wrong with toyota. Apart from the frame, almost everything else in toyota cars is made of plastic. That's why toyota interiors don't last long.

Imagine plastic inside a engine with all the heat. . . Mogbe

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by FlyboyZee: 8:16am On Feb 05, 2013
I have always suspected something very fishy with most Toyotas. I'm still wondering whats the big deal between Nigerians and Toyota?
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by KingSolomonI: 8:25am On Feb 05, 2013
Is this for real? Is this peculiar wit all 2003 models of Camry only or him brother 04 and 05 since their engine no too different.
Any second opinion on this issue? Cos in the mouth of two or three witnesses...the truth shall be establishEd!
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Ikenna351(m): 8:28am On Feb 05, 2013
Lets not forget that its not only the Carmry 2002-2006 model that have that engine. Toyota Highlander 2001-2007 models too have it.

So before you buy any Toyota produced between 2001 & 2007, make sure you know the engine in that car. If its the 2AZ-FE 2.4L I4 engine, run for your dear life!

The Highlander '01 - '07 & Camry '02 -'06 models have other engines other than this 2AZ-FE.

Ikenna.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by oweniwe(m): 8:29am On Feb 05, 2013
~Bluetooth:
Well you called it a "big for nothing" so why are you complaining.change the engine and stop trying to prove you know better than Toyota.this is 2013 not 2003.

P.S

Maybe you should call their customer services to tell them you have a solution to an engine problem of a car that is out of production.thanks smiley

Why can't u think a bit more deeply? Its most likely that toyota is still using the same methods and process in production of newer models with minor change in design. Take for example 1999 siena and 2012 siena. Apart from change in design and minor upgrades, they're both basically the same

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by tobzquest: 8:40am On Feb 05, 2013
Hello, Ikenna351 and semid4lyfe Thanks for this post. I use the exact car described here with mileage above 150km. I totally agree with what you say. Its almost like an infinite loop and mechs seem totally oblivious to this problem. What do you suggest and where is a good workshop to check this out?

Thank you
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by yuzedo: 8:46am On Feb 05, 2013
stolen stone: God pls lead us not into this temptation. Make i hear, I hustle finish, tidy sequencing wella, maga come pay finish, pepper finally rest, only to come buy motor dey jollificate on top, then come notice say the coolant dey leak and i'm being told i'm gonna replace the engine of the taliban because of that! Omo na die be that na! Where i wan take see that kain pepper again na??
You jack another maga to pay! grin

Fantastic thread MOD/OP. Highly informative and very worthy of its Front Page status.. At least make we for dey learn for Naija.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Nobody: 8:48am On Feb 05, 2013
Dat means honda is a better car! So I'll go 4 it then! Honda, here I come baby!!!! ( What about camry 2.2 (big lite) is it a better car? Becos I actually had that in mind!
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by USAutoBuy(m): 9:26am On Feb 05, 2013
[b]I had a similar experience with a 2003 Highlander that i bought for a client. However, the problem is only limited to the 2003 model years and have since been corrected.

If you have a problem, you can actually fix it. The one i imported was fixed by retreading the engine block (with helicoil i pressume). Its nothing to be too afraid of.

But if you yet to buy one, i will suggest you go for the 2002 or skip straight to the 2004/up model.

The 2000/2001 model with the 2.2L engine is fine for the guy asking. No need to worry.

What i think happened was that Toyota experimented with some new process that year and it was a failure as we later come to find out.

There is a reason Toyota is Number 1 worldwide. All these people bashing Toyota possibly don't live in Nigeria. Here in Nigeria, i will rather push a Toyota than drive a Ford (No pun intended Sultaan)

Cos i know that sooner or later, i will find the solution to the problem. Your Ford might spend the rest of its days on the jack stand cos no one can find whats wrong with it.

Different case in the US. This is Nigeria afterall.

From, Felele, Ibadan, I write.

Peace out!
[/b]

14 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Ikenna351(m): 9:30am On Feb 05, 2013
Raymondenyi: Dat means honda is a better car! So I'll go 4 it then! Honda, here I come baby!!!! ( What about camry 2.2 (big lite) is it a better car? Becos I actually had that in mind!

No one is comparing brands here. Thats not what the thread is about. Even that Honda has its own issues.

My purpose of creating this thread is to make Nigerians realise that one needs to carryout a thorough study or research on any car one is interested in before purchase. Go beyond what colleagues, neighbours, friends & Nairaland say about a particular car or brand. Check reviews online from people who have used the car before, look out for negative comments and not just for the positive ones. Anyone telling you a particular car is perfect must be a liar.

Dont buy a car because the brand is known to be good. They may have some of their products that are mistakes.

Always pay attention to every details in a car you are interested in buying: the engine size, model, fuel system, cons & pros, etc. Dont fool yourself, every car must have cons & pros. You check the cons, to know if the issues are what you can live with or deal with. If not, walk away and look for another.

Most importantly, dont buy a car because everyone is buying and using it. Because no one will come to replace or fix that car for you when it starts dealing with you.

Do your own homework well before deciding which car, with what engine to buy.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by highchief3(m): 9:32am On Feb 05, 2013
Geesssss! I just paid for the car few days ago. I did my research before buying and a lot of them told me the car has no problem, the parts are available and the car is very common on the street. Please how can I check the if the engine is a 2.4l, which engine should one look out for when buying?
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by aieromon(m): 9:47am On Feb 05, 2013
tobzquest: Hello, Ikenna351 and semid4lyfe Thanks for this post. I use the exact car described here with mileage above 150km. I totally agree with what you say. Its almost like an infinite loop and mechs seem totally oblivious to this problem. What do you suggest and where is a good workshop to check this out?

Thank you

Can you kindly let the house know the actual problems you're experiencing?

Efforts and steps taken so far?

Thanks
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Edunwa302(m): 11:00am On Feb 05, 2013
Guys dis not a big issue besides no car without its own issue a good mechanic can't fix it with eas, if u like d car go for it toyota is gud product
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by 9icetoo(m): 12:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
Havent noticed such on mine. Could you post a picture of the said manifold, foam and location. it would be helpful. Thanks. Mine purrrs like a baby cat presently though.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by elviszzz: 1:18pm On Feb 05, 2013

I would advice, if you must buy that Camry model (Big 4 Nothing), avoid one with 2.4 L engine, I4 engine entirely or any Toyota with that particular engine, 2AZ-FE.

Just saying.

Not a fan of japanese, european cars r d best.

Ikenna.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Joe980: 1:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
A video link for who cares to...
Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE stripped head bolt repair NS300L fix - YouTube
9icetoo: Havent noticed such on mine. Could you post a picture of the said manifold, foam and location. it would be helpful. Thanks. Mine purrrs like a baby cat presently though.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by obi2012: 2:45pm On Feb 05, 2013
its not a 2003 problem only...

Its 2002-2006 camry's..

US-AutoBuy:
[b]I had a similar experience with a 2003 Highlander that i bought for a client. However, the problem is only limited to the 2003 model years and have since been corrected.

If you have a problem, you can actually fix it. The one i imported was fixed by retreading the engine block (with helicoil i pressume). Its nothing to be too afraid of.

But if you yet to buy one, i will suggest you go for the 2002 or skip straight to the 2004/up model.

The 2000/2001 model with the 2.2L engine is fine for the guy asking. No need to worry.

What i think happened was that Toyota experimented with some new process that year and it was a failure as we later come to find out.

There is a reason Toyota is Number 1 worldwide. All these people bashing Toyota possibly don't live in Nigeria. Here in Nigeria, i will rather push a Toyota than drive a Ford (No pun intended Sultaan)

Cos i know that sooner or later, i will find the solution to the problem. Your Ford might spend the rest of its days on the jack stand cos no one can find whats wrong with it.

Different case in the US. This is Nigeria afterall.

From, Felele, Ibadan, I write.

Peace out!
[/b]
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by obi2012: 2:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
The plastic intake on the car coupled with an aluminium block and the bad headgasket material causes the bolt to break..

At my shop, we typically drill the head for a bigger bolt, double the gasket or use a metal gasket and use a bolt with stronger material... The head and the block has to be sanded because the heat causes the head and block to warp

Just saying.

Ikenna.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Reasons Why You Should Not Always Ask For Full Tank. / Pls How Good Is Nissan Micra For Delivery Business ? / For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.