Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,256 members, 7,822,308 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" (15511 Views)

Beyonce Vs Kelly Rowland: Who Looked Prettier While Pregnant? / There Is A New Nollywood Film Called Beyonce Vs Rihanna / Beyonce Vs Kelly Rowland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 07, 2013
I'm on a lunch break and reading newspaper articles. Now, we all know Beyonce by now (and if not, get with the program). The latest furore is in choosing to use her married name "Mrs Carter" for her next tour (UK O2 priority pass holders, assist a sister!). One article puts it this way:

There is almost something subversive about waiting until the strongest moment of your career, which is where Beyoncé finds herself now, to do away with the infamous glossy mononym in favour of a second name your own husband doesn't even use

I admit Beyonces thighs hold real power. But why is she/her brand powerful enough to provoke the underbelly of the modern feminists with her every move? Like really?! undecided

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2013/feb/05/beyonce-calling-herself-mrs-carter
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/9847710/Beyonce-is-my-kind-of-feminist.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/15/beyonce-photographed-underwear-feminism
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/02/04/beyonc_s_mrs_carter_show_world_tour_why_use_her_married_name.html

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by 190: 5:06pm On Feb 07, 2013
grin grin grin grin

64 views no comment grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by ositadima1(m): 5:56pm On Feb 07, 2013
Flytefalls are you a feminist? She is a good singer and I think people will adapt. In this part of the world, feminism as an ideology is yet to find his roots as opposd to the west.

Wait I am actually second to comment, Flytefall you made front page, lol

Wasn't freedom and equality a notion held by feminst, Beyonce made her choise, dosen't look to me like she was coaxed by Jay Z...
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 07, 2013
Eww. I'm not a feminist, just perplexed. Not sure why feminists would claim Beyonce as one of their own. What right do they have to be "disappointed" that she posed in GQ or took her husbands surname? Especially in a largely post-feminist western society. Beyonces voice is annoying but I admire her work ethic. Don't care much for her politics either. I was just wondering.

Thanks OD for questioning smiley... Unlike the hyena above you tongue

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by ositadima1(m): 6:52pm On Feb 07, 2013
grin you are welcome. I can recollect Madonnas hay-days...
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 7:56pm On Feb 07, 2013
This topic is evidently ahead of your intended audience. So, don't be surprised if you've got numerous views and no replies. Just saying. . .

3 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 07, 2013
This topic is evidently ahead of your intended audience. So, don't be surprised if you've got numerous views and no replies. Just saying. . .
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by deepwaters(f): 9:05pm On Feb 07, 2013
Wait, why are the feminists ruffled? 'Cos a married woman took on her husband's name?? They should have complained when she got married nah. And I doubt if Beyonce using Mrs Carter for this tour has anything to do with being/playing the 'submisive woman', I believe its just part of marketing/branding/publicity in unique way. In fact, warahell is their biz with the name she uses?? Is Jay Z not Mr. Carter? And shouldn't his wife be Mrs Carter? They're not even happy that Bey hasn't been using Beyonce Carter all this while. Abeg free the girl

2 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 07, 2013
I see where the feminists are coming from, Beyonce promoting Mrs Carter further proves women losing their identity when they get married. She is Mrs Carter quite alright, nobody is disputing that but Beyonce is a brand name, her identity, a representation of her achievements, artistry, and influencing power that she has been able to acquire throughout her working years. Losing Beyonce for Mrs Carter is a st*upid move!
The Mrs title is not an achievement but a title for addressing married women, nothing special. No one wants to see Mrs Carter, we all pay to watch and be entertained by Beyonce

5 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by ositadima1(m): 11:21pm On Feb 07, 2013
Shollypopz: I see where the feminists are coming from, Beyonce promoting Mrs Carter further proves women losing their identity when they get married. She is Mrs Carter quite alright, nobody is disputing that but Beyonce is a brand name, her identity, a representation of her achievements, artistry, and influencing power that she has been able to acquire throughout her working years. Losing Beyonce for Mrs Carter is a st*upid move!
The Mrs title is not an achievement but a title for addressing married women, nothing special. No one wants to see Mrs Carter, we all pay to watch and be entertained by Beyonce

You have a point, but people who like her song will keep buying her cds. Remember Cassius Clay changed his name to Muhammad Ali at the peak of his boxing career, which didn't deter him from winnig. Her brand is her music...

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 07, 2013
ositadima1:

You have a point, but people who like her song will keep buying her cds. Remember Cassius Clay changed his name to Muhammad Ali at the peak of his boxing career, which didn't deter him from winnig. Her brand is her music...
I believe Mrs Carter can be sold but she should expect lash back/disapproval from some of her fans especially the feminists. She is becoming too old in the music business and sooner or later, the Beyonce brand name would no longer be in the forefront. Changing her brand name and her imagery might just help add more years to her musical career. As far as branding is concerned, u are mistaken my man. Beyonce is a brand name, her music of course is the product. Music do not just sell itself, image, sex appeal, past awards, already acquired fan base, public image/opinion also helps in selling and marketing her product (music). In fact she should expect to lose some of her single male fans if she adopts that name as the idea of her being attainable by them becomes entirely and the more glaring as unachievable. They lose interest and shift base to her competitions-Rhianna and likes. Her dressing and sex appeal will also be opened for criticism as people demand higher morals from married women.

3 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by LaParisienne(f): 9:10am On Feb 08, 2013
sauer: This topic is evidently ahead of your intended audience. So, don't be surprised if you've got numerous views and no replies. Just saying. . .

So what's your own ''intelligent reply'' to the topic? Just asking. . .

@Topic
Beyonce can do whatever she wants with her life, none of my business. I don't care for her life shows anyway, cos she's a terrible lip-syncher.

Btw, check out the videos she made with her husband. Then you'll have an idea of what their relationship seems like.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 11:03am On Feb 08, 2013
SMH at bitter 'feminists' questioning an adult woman's personal choices.

In any case, from a marketing point of view, there is nothing to suggest that the 'Mrs Carter' brand would not be as powerful - if not more so - than the Beyonce mononym. Don't forget that being a married woman and a mother necessarily diminishes the 'sassy' and 'sultry' image ordinarily associated with a young and beautiful female pop star (ask Mariah Carey).

One can therefore argue that in a situaion where a woman such as Beyonce finds herself married to an equally famous music star, and where they have increasingly crafted an image of the pre-eminent musical royalty, and have gone ahead to start raising a family, it might in fact prove a marketing masterstroke to evolve a new brand image based on some kind of 'The First Family of Music' notion. . . and that would involve adopting her husband's name (Carter), which in itself is sufficiently popular, powerful, prestigious, and commercially viable.

7 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 08, 2013
Hmmm. I think now is the time, in the spirit of equality, we allow people to just be. Fame is subjective, and I assume feminists see, hear and feel Beyonce’s presence and liken it to their own ideology and values (which aren't so bad, but is confusing and in an ever-evolving state). Beyonce has spoken of being a feminist, but I question her understanding as I do question my own understanding on the topic. I would say she is more a “post-feminist” icon. She is strong willed and independent, etc but allows herself to indulge in her sexuality. Yes, she can strip if she wants to! Much like the self-confessed "Girls" actress and feminist Lena Dunham who said in an interview:

Q:You seem incredibly tolerant and cheerful all the time. What gets under your skin?
A:Women saying ‘I’m not a feminist’ is my greatest pet peeve. Do you believe that women should be paid the same for doing the same jobs? Do you believe that women should be allowed to leave the house? Do you think that women and men both deserve equal rights? Great, then you’re a feminist. People think there is something taboo about speaking up for feminism. I know for a long time that I was embarrassed to call out misogyny because I was then going to be that complaining girl who can’t let it go. But the fact is, we can’t let it go – not until we feel like we have been heard.

Is it more acceptible for Lena to get nak3d in every episode because her body is more "average Jane"? Beyonce practices her own understanding of feminism and it shouldn’t be held to ransom by any group. For example, I have long since stopped seeing her as a “black” artist, but she may idenify herself as one. I don't care.

Beyonce is just one woman who has made a tremendous success of herself and her brand. She is growing older, and is married with a child. In my eyes, she is non-comparable to Rihanna. With good reason, the public spoke out against Chris Brown when Rihanna was beaten up, but she herself has now made her own decision. Many brows have been raised. Not my own, I don't care. Beyonce’s music will evolve and this is the direction she has decided to take her brand. Successful step? We will see..... and I will carrying on trying not to care tongue

@ Shollypopz (the male rebooted version lol): I agree her fan-base will shift, but I see it as a healthy evolution.
@ La Parisenne: Ditto to everything you said! grin
@ OD: I can see Madonna being an icon of yours... so clearly (hahahahahagrin)
@pro01 and deepwaters: We share some views there. Famous young women should be encouraged to evolve throughout their careers if they span so long that they become mothers, wives, priests, whatever. This isn't sexist, just reasonable. Perhaps it will change/relax public expectations of such women smiley... I mean, just look at Madonna now in those leotards!(shudders).

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by 190: 1:30pm On Feb 08, 2013
Front page topic please grin grin
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by SlyIg(f): 2:19pm On Feb 08, 2013
You mean Biyonci?
But me d call am Mama Ivy Blue!

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by naylove(m): 2:31pm On Feb 08, 2013
jay z just paid up the outstanding dowry balance. now she fit use the name.

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 08, 2013
abeg, some people just love making a mountain out of a molehill. If anything, Mrs. Carter is going to push her forward more seeing that Carter is the last name to one of the most powerful moguls. It's not like she got married yesterday that this should even be a big deal.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 08, 2013
SlyIg: You mean Biyonci?

grin
@Topic

Now that she would be addressed as Mrs Carter.
Does this mean,no more revealing thighs and all the works?

Just curious undecided
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by kadman(m): 2:35pm On Feb 08, 2013
I'm male and a feminist (think what you will)

When I heard Beyonce was titling her tour Mrs Carter - I wasn't pleased. I love Bey, but I planned not to support this tour as much as I normally would (I've seen her 7 times in 3 continents).

I made several rants on Facebook about this, till someone called my attention to find Jay-Z's legal name: it's Sean Knowles-Carter! He changed his legal name in 2009 !

Yup, Jay Z took Beyonce's last name. That's mutual respect! That's equality! That's the basis of feminism.

I see nothing wrong in what mother Bey has done, and I would be seeing her 3 times this tour!

2 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Orikinla(m): 2:35pm On Feb 08, 2013
Flytefalls: I'm on a lunch break and reading newspaper articles. Now, we all know Beyonce by now (and if not, get with the program). The latest furore is in choosing to use her married name "Mrs Carter" for her next tour (UK O2 priority pass holders, assist a sister!). One article puts it this way:

There is almost something subversive about waiting until the strongest moment of your career, which is where Beyoncé finds herself now, to do away with the infamous glossy mononym in favour of a second name your own husband doesn't even use

I admit Beyonces thighs hold real power. But why is she/her brand powerful enough to provoke the underbelly of the modern feminists with her every move? Like really?! undecided

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2013/feb/05/beyonce-calling-herself-mrs-carter
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/9847710/Beyonce-is-my-kind-of-feminist.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/15/beyonce-photographed-underwear-feminism
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/02/04/beyonc_s_mrs_carter_show_world_tour_why_use_her_married_name.html

Please, let the real Mrs. Carter show up and not the hip hop hooker "Beyoncé" who does not show up like a married woman for the cameras.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by olempe(m): 2:37pm On Feb 08, 2013
Ok... But I prefer Beyoncee...
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by pak: 2:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
La Parisienne:

@Topic
Beyonce can do whatever she wants with her life, none of my business. I don't care for her life shows anyway, cos she's a terrible lip-syncher.

Btw, check out the videos she made with her husband. Then you'll have an idea of what their relationship seems like.

Pls, I don't have broadband internet presently, (using phone cnxn) so videos are out. Can you tell us the inference you made (or you expect us to make) from the videos ?

Shollypopz: I see where the feminists are coming from, Beyonce promoting Mrs Carter further proves women losing their identity when they get married. She is Mrs Carter quite alright, nobody is disputing that but Beyonce is a brand name, her identity, a representation of her achievements, artistry, and influencing power that she has been able to acquire throughout her working years. Losing Beyonce for Mrs Carter is a st*upid move!

oh dear !!!

pro01: SMH at bitter 'feminists' questioning an adult woman's personal choices.

In any case, from a marketing point of view, there is nothing to suggest that the 'Mrs Carter' brand would not be as powerful - if not more so - than the Beyonce mononym. Don't forget that being a married woman and a mother necessarily diminishes the 'sassy' and 'sultry' image ordinarily associated with a young and beautiful female pop star (ask Mariah Carey).

One can therefore argue that in a situaion where a woman such as Beyonce finds herself married to an equally famous music star, and where they have increasingly crafted an image of the pre-eminent musical royalty, and have gone ahead to start raising a family, it might in fact prove a marketing masterstroke to evolve a new brand image based on some kind of 'The First Family of Music' notion. . . and that would involve adopting her husband's name (Carter), which in itself is sufficiently popular, powerful, prestigious, and commercially viable.

I find this quite intelligent, boss
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by wissezy: 2:40pm On Feb 08, 2013
And so? She can change it to kpomo. Who cares?!
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by aieromon(m): 2:42pm On Feb 08, 2013
I wanted to comment before but I think I'll just lay back and read while my baby mama keeps making me proud.

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by tellwisdom: 2:42pm On Feb 08, 2013
fryingflies, please tell what to say on this topic pls sad sad
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by cheddarking(m): 2:50pm On Feb 08, 2013
pro01: SMH at bitter 'feminists' questioning an adult woman's personal choices.

On Point
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by honeypie143: 2:51pm On Feb 08, 2013
SlyIg: You mean Biyonci?

Jayz come be baba blue grin
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 08, 2013
ItsModella: abeg, some people just love making a mountain out of a molehill.

That says it all for me
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by claremont(m): 2:55pm On Feb 08, 2013
If I were to be a fan of Beyonce, I would expectedly pay good money to listen to her music. I would be attracted to her NOT because she is Beyonce, but because of her musical prowess.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by vizboy(m): 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2013
an so should i start crying
beyonce or mrs carter does not change the fact that i love her music and wont stop listening to it. To me this just show she has respect for herself and her husband
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by 2sa2: 3:05pm On Feb 08, 2013
La Parisienne:

100 Likes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

191-year-old Woman Discovered In Nigeria: Oldest Living Person In The World / A Nairalander With Denrele / The Lady With The Biggest Breast Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.