Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,854 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons (12849 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here / Fish Farming And Pig Farming: Which Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by ehijayltd(m): 4:10pm On Feb 08, 2013
Hello people i am about starting a venture in either egg distribution or pig farming, but i need some input from the experience minds before committing huge funds towards it.

Please free to advise me

The egg distribution entails getting the eggs from the south west and selling in Lagos market (bulk purchase), while the pig farming on our newly purchased land .
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by naijacutee(f): 6:47pm On Feb 08, 2013
Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would go with egg production because the turnaround time for egg production is much quicker than for pig farming. In the same time it would take to raise a pig and take it to the market to look for customers, you would have probably hatched and sold several rounds of eggs to ready customers. Just my personal preference, others may disagree.

2 Likes

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by stolenstone: 6:52pm On Feb 08, 2013
OP, business is all about turnover! And I couldnt have agreed better with our very own Naijacutee, She just nailed the point head on! Eggs all the way bro! (meanwhile, Naijacutee, where have u been? Longest tyme?)
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by femu(m): 10:26pm On Feb 08, 2013
Egg distribution is cool provided you can sell over a 100crates weekly with a decent margin. However you must be ready to face the stress of sourcing, haggling and distribution.
Piggery however allows you to have rest of mind, learn about animals and have a source of income now andd more importantly for old-age.

Have done both...dropped egg distribution for egg production and piggery

3 Likes

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by ehijayltd(m): 10:48am On Feb 09, 2013
@ femu
Actually i have some network of guy who source for the market ,while i source for the egg.
Mind you am talking about eggs in the region of between 2000 and 3000 crate per week,though its scarce to find that in a farm unless you come down the west ,but nonetheless the market is real in Lagos with a good a margin if well monitored.
FOR KNOWLEDGE SAKE
EGG/CRATE =N500 FOR MEDIUM SIZE
TRANSPORT= N30/CRATE
TAKE THIS TO LAGOS
EGG /CRATE FOR ANY AREA DISTRIBUTOR=630 FOR THE SAME SIZE.
THAT IS N100 MARGIN ,SO IF YOU DO 2000 CRATES YOU HAVE N200000,EXCLUDING OTHER EXPENSE WHICH MAY NOT BE MORE THAN 10%.

4 Likes

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by sp2002(m): 1:11am On Feb 10, 2013
the stress you will face and time spent on egg distribution can also be used in Egg production and you can get more from egg production with lesser stress
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by Nobody: 1:54am On Feb 10, 2013
I will say that you should go for pig farming, because all you need is time. Time you need for the pigs to grow big, and which is just about few months. And you will make ur money in buck, and from the profit you can start your egg business and you will still ve ur pig farm even with more pigs. But if you start with egg buz you might not be able to ve ur pig farm, cos u wil be spending the little profit you from there. Anyway both are good but i tell u that piggery is better and more profitable. Egg production is beta than egg distribution. If you can sell 15-25 big pigs at once OH MY GOD na make you go start to price cars be dat.

5 Likes

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by femu(m): 11:00am On Feb 10, 2013
ehijayltd: @ femu
Actually i have some network of guy who source for the market ,while i source for the egg.
Mind you am talking about eggs in the region of between 2000 and 3000 crate per week,though its scarce to find that in a farm unless you come down the west ,but nonetheless the market is real in Lagos with a good a margin if well monitored.
FOR KNOWLEDGE SAKE
EGG/CRATE =N500 FOR MEDIUM SIZE
TRANSPORT= N30/CRATE
TAKE THIS TO LAGOS
EGG /CRATE FOR ANY AREA DISTRIBUTOR=630 FOR THE SAME SIZE.
THAT IS N100 MARGIN ,SO IF YOU DO 2000 CRATES YOU HAVE N200000,EXCLUDING OTHER EXPENSE WHICH MAY NOT BE MORE THAN 10%.

Oga this your analysis, is it what you have practised or are practising.
The logistics behind sourcing and distributing 3000crates weekly is wahala.
Have done 1500crates before and I know the stress involved.
It can be done but it not as easy as it seems

4 Likes

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by ehijayltd(m): 3:25pm On Feb 10, 2013
@femu
although its not easy but we are doing it,hence the point is in how many could be done per week.As it is am doing 3000 crate per week at which i still make my 27%.
my admission in life is that ,THE THINGS THAT SEEMS DIFFICULT TO THE EYES COULD STILL BE DONE WITH LESS STRESS IF WELL TAILORED OUT.
@HEYWHY4U
I AGREE WITH YOU, BUT I THINK I WANT TO LIMIT IT TO THAT FOR NOW AT LEAST BEFORE DOING THE PIGGERY.

2 Likes

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by Gloriouspa(m): 6:14pm On Feb 10, 2013
ehijayltd: @femu
although its not easy but we are doing it,hence the point is in how many could be done per week.As it is am doing 3000 crate per week at which i still make my 27%.
my admission in life is that ,THE THINGS THAT SEEMS DIFFICULT TO THE EYES COULD STILL BE DONE WITH LESS STRESS IF WELL TAILORED OUT.
@HEYWHY4U
I AGREE WITH YOU, BUT I THINK I WANT TO LIMIT IT TO THAT FOR NOW AT LEAST BEFORE DOING THE PIGGERY.
I am intereested in the egg distribution. Any idea of where to get in Ibadan @ N500/crate. Thanks.
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by adeyemis: 9:18am On Feb 27, 2013
I have eggs in large quantity for sale from my farm. Call on 08089857650

1 Like

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by sonety2k(m): 12:43pm On Feb 27, 2013
cool
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by ogunsam75(m): 12:59pm On Feb 27, 2013
Any idea on Where I can get eggs in large quantity? Plz contact mi thrur sammy75105@yahoo.com
y
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by deols(f): 1:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
go for EGGS smiley
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by fogman1(m): 2:32pm On Feb 28, 2013
Please go for egg or poutry business because its demand is far far higher than Pig biz.
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by SisiKill1: 2:38pm On Feb 28, 2013
Based solely on nothing but the image I get when I think of both...I'd go with Egg Distribution.
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by jice(m): 2:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
To me I will go for Piggery. Though it will take some time but the reward will be better.

Pigs are very prolific and money payback after a time is massive. Don't go for quick but go for durability of rewards.

1 Like

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by omotola1(m): 3:03pm On Feb 28, 2013
Piggery is very lucrative. You can make millions within just five months depending on your stock.
ROI of piggery is 200%
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by bayour80: 3:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
pls am interested in egg supply business in abuja,where can i get the supply close to abuja and how do i go about marketing it? and can 100k start it?-thanks 08033621102

1 Like

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by Nobleacct: 3:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
Pls i need detail on piggery. Anyone to help?
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by vislabraye(m): 3:20pm On Feb 28, 2013
In both types of business, all you need is the market and you're half way through.
Running poultry is very lucrative and a little bit tricky. You need to manage it very well. Its capital intensive, so you have to make room for several expenditures such as feeding and medication.
Chicks do need a warm enviroment which should be provided. You would need power for this which means extra fuel. You'll make good cash cos a chick can lay at least 5 eggs a day.
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by Exponental(m): 3:23pm On Feb 28, 2013
Do a market survey. I will advice u work on ready buyers before u venture into any.
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by BeraBera(f): 3:24pm On Feb 28, 2013
You can do both. Multiple streams of income

1 Like

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by vislabraye(m): 3:25pm On Feb 28, 2013
Pigs are much easier to handle because their food is far cheaper. You can feed them with waste products from eateries and manufacturers.
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by deesnipes(f): 3:44pm On Feb 28, 2013
I agree with everything u said but d part of 'a chick laying at least 5 eggs a day'. Pls I don't mind if u can elaborate more on dis.
vislabraye: In both types of business, all you need is the market and you're half way through.
Running poultry is very lucrative and a little bit tricky. You need to manage it very well. Its capital intensive, so you have to make room for several expenditures such as feeding and medication.
Chicks do need a warm enviroment which should be provided. You would need power for this which means extra fuel. You'll make good cash cos a chick can lay at least 5 eggs a day.

1 Like

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:25pm On Feb 28, 2013
Both are cool biz. How much do you have for the pig biz?
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by mkoabiola: 4:30pm On Feb 28, 2013
If na toto dikeh,omotola,charliboy or geneviev story, u will see so many viewers and comments.
But wen it comes to writeup dat will benefit d youths,u will b dsappointed.smh.

2 Likes

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by ikmuan(m): 4:35pm On Feb 28, 2013
Egg distribution į̸̸̨§ very lucrative, woteva i av achieved today, i owe it to dis biz venture wch transformed me i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ †ђε absence of a white colar job as a graduate. Presently A̶̲̥̅♏ more into production and less distribution as i av got M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ farm i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ one of Nigeria reknowned farm 'Agric' i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Ojo Alaba. For those Ƌ̲̣̣̣̥α̇̇̇̊τ̲̣̣̥ knws Ƌ̲̣̣̣̥α̇̇̇̊τ̲̣̣̥ place Ѡill sure agree wit me Ƌ̲̣̣̣̥α̇̇̇̊τ̲̣̣̥ its one of 9ja finest.Anybody willin to venture i can sale for 550 per crate and it must not ßξ less dan a thousand crate. Interested clients are free to make enquiries and see D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ av got †ђε best offer.I can ßξ reached via email ikeode2003@yahoo.com
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by Mcfemad(m): 4:37pm On Feb 28, 2013
vislabraye: In both types of business, all you need is the market and you're half way through.
Dear sir, your assertions here are very wrong. Its better you are sure of what you know before sharing with others. I want to beilive you know nothing about this business, you're only using an Idea.
Let me point out where you went wrong: Chicks don't lay eggs; It's only Layers (commercial adult female birds) that lay consumable eggs and Breeder hens which lays Hatchable eggs. When you say chicks, you mean about 0-4weeks old birds!
Also, it is practically impossibe for a bird to lay more than one egg per day. Theroretically, it takes 26hours for an egg to be laid and Practically, it takes 23hours. This makes it impossible for a commercial hen to lay more than one egg. Averagely and based on my experiences over the years, birds do not lay more than 5days out of the 7days of the week. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Likewise, poultry farming is not as lucrative you all think except its run a large scale, there's always a problem with raw materials scarcity and availability, bad quality of finished feeds in the market just to mention a few.
To the op's question, do you have a land for the pig farming and what stock are u planning to start with? Are u producing for meat production basically or for reproduction in the sense that the pigs would be sold off at weaning stage?
Eggs distrubution is good and you can make more money than the egg producers but do you have a ready made market? Where do you intend to buy your eggs at 500 for pullets sizes? Do you plan to sell your medium sized eggs to bakers, mallams, cakes producers and ...? If you have positive answers to all of the questions on egg distrubution, then you are good to go.
With my experiences over the years and my present nature of Job, I will be willing to share more thoughts and opinions on this thread. Thanks and Kind Regards!

14 Likes

Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by Hadeyeancah(m): 4:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
Guy go for piggery
Re: Egg Distribution Or Pig Farming Which Would You Advice With Reasons by vislabraye(m): 5:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
Mcfemad:
Dear sir, your assertions here are very wrong. Its better you are sure of what you know before sharing with others. I want to beilive you know nothing about this business, you're only using an Idea.
Let me point out where you went wrong: Chicks don't lay eggs; It's only Layers (commercial adult female birds) that lay consumable eggs and Breeder hens which lays Hatchable eggs. When you say chicks, you mean about 0-4weeks old birds!
Also, it is practically impossibe for a bird to lay more than one egg per day. Theroretically, it takes 26hours for an egg to be laid and Practically, it takes 23hours. This makes it impossible for a commercial hen to lay more than one egg. Averagely and based on my experiences over the years, birds do not lay more than 5days out of the 7days of the week. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Likewise, poultry farming is not as lucrative you all think except its run a large scale, there's always a problem with raw materials scarcity and availability, bad quality of finished feeds in the market just to mention a few.
To the op's question, do you have a land for the pig farming and what stock are u planning to start with? Are u producing for meat production basically or for reproduction in the sense that the pigs would be sold off at weaning stage?
Eggs distrubution is good and you can make more money than the egg producers but do you have a ready made market? Where do you intend to buy your eggs at 500 for pullets sizes? Do you plan to sell your medium sized eggs to bakers, mallams, cakes producers and ...? If you have positive answers to all of the questions on egg distrubution, then you are good to go.
With my experiences over the years and my present nature of Job, I will be willing to share more thoughts and opinions on this thread. Thanks and Kind Regards!

I meant to say layers not chicks. I meant to say a week and not days.
My family use to run poultry many years ago. The birds were over two thousand way back then. It was lucrative although the initial capital was much.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oil Palm Seedlings At Affordable Price / Poultry Farming Business Setup In Nigeria, Africa / Ebonyi Acquires Bulldozers To Boost Rice Production With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.