Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,856 members, 7,824,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? (1034 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / He Was Asked To Return His Waec Certificate ?? / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 09, 2013
Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." - Matthew 19:21

I have a question for the Tithe teachers, according to the verse above , Jesus asked the young rich man to sell all he had and give the money to the poor . Can you explain why he did not ask this rich man to give his money to the temple or 'church building' or the salaries for the priests etc ?

We see another parallel with Zaccheus who after repenting gave half of his goods to the poor and not to the church or temple.Why not to the temple or priests ?

Jesus Christ's emphasis was not on building large cathedrals and paying the mortgage thereof, or paying pastor salaries while they live in opulence , he had a heart for the poor.

The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me - Luke 19:8

We see this same mindset all through the bible.

For instance :

"Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality." - Romans 12:13

"And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." - Hebrews 13:16

"If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion--how can God's love be in that person?" - 1 John 3:17

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." - Proverbs 14:31

What we see in churches is money going from the needy to the rich undecided is this fair ?

So my question is, why do we see a pattern of all the money donated by the saints going to the needy and the poor and not towards church buildings, development projects, private jets, expensive private schools etc.

Honestly I am a bit perplexed here, can you guys help me.

This is the pattern of how money was donated and used in the early church.

"Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need." - Acts 2:45

"sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles' feet." - Acts 4:37

"There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and lay them at the apostles' feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need." - Acts 4:35-35

The money here was used for the needy , agree ?
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by tobtap: 4:12pm On Feb 09, 2013
The church came into being after d resurection of our lord jesus..so I guess he said to d man to give his tinz to d poor..since d bible said wen u give to d poor u give to God.
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by PastorKun(m): 4:13pm On Feb 09, 2013
Very good question, let's see how our religious merchants would spin this one.

1 Like

Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 09, 2013
tobtap: The church came into being after d resurection of our lord jesus..so I guess he said to d man to give his tinz to d poor..since d bible said wen u give to d poor u give to God.

so why not to the temple or the priests ?

Besides the early church also followed after his pattern , and this was after the resurrection , no ?
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by obi4eze(m): 4:29pm On Feb 09, 2013
Sir, maybe we should ask the Person who told Him to give His money to the poor. I feel somehow when I see posts like this undecided. People should study their Bible well and make proper enquiry before coming here to say things they aren't sure of or start unnecessary controversy. No offence meant.
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by EasyNaijacom: 4:52pm On Feb 09, 2013
Spot on. This is something i've been stressing on for a long time now.

The only thing that would cause me to support giving so much money to churches is if the churches themselves act as a medium for distributing the offerings to the needy, but the truth is that most of them do not.

You know, if they did stuff like... Prepare packaged food to be distributed to beggars, Build a public home for the homeless, Buy new support aids for the disabled e.t.c, and other things that we cannot do on our own individually, then maybe they'll get that credit.

If they prepared food for the beggars around them at least once a day, the beggars would have that one hope of survival.
These people actually die of hunger you know..., like the one I saw under someone's car one day, he looked like he weighed less than a skeleton, like as if his body has fed off all the fat he had and was now eating into the bone. He didn't even have the energy to know if he was alive or dead. He was just laying there motionless, eyes open, staring at the sky, N20 in his right hand (God bless whoever put that there).
A lot of us who were waiting at the ATM machine had thought he was dead until he slightly dragged one arm across the ground and tried to raise his head. The guy standing close to me said "If anybody wan go there carry am now e go turn to police matter". That was when it occured to me that this man would die there. The owner of the car finally arrived and tried unsuccessfully to persuade him out of there. He lost patience then got into the car and drove off, one of the tires brushed the man's temple and scraped off the skin there. I still cannot get that image out of my head. One girl standing with me at the ATM machine screamed and almost cried.

A few sundays ago, I laughed when my church announced they made 60million from the previous harvest and how they have deposited it into their bank account.

How rich you are is dependent on how many people you have fed.

You just earned yourself a follower bro.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by ProPastorChris(m): 4:53pm On Feb 09, 2013
@ OP
my first question to you is this: why do you treat that scripture in isolation, rather you should deal with the whole context (this shows you motive).

start from here:

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
Mat 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
Mat 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

I have a question for the Tithe teachers, according to the verse above , Jesus asked the young rich man to sell all he had and give the money to the poor . Can you explain why he did not ask this rich man to give his money to the temple or 'church building' or the salaries for the priests etc ?
first, there is no tithe preacher rather there are preachers of the Word. leave it or take it!
second, do you know anything called rhema? its God's word specifically for you at a particular time, for a particular purpose. did you notice the guys reaction? the guy was a "super glue" who rather than give to the poor talk more of the temple would hoard his money and notice how the bible described his reaction. Jesus gave the guy the solution to his life long problem of being selfish and self-centered.

We see another parallel with Zaccheus who after repenting gave half of his goods to the poor and not to the church or temple.Why not to the temple or priests ?
below is the story you quoted:
Luk 19:1 And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.
Luk 19:2 And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.
Luk 19:3 And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.
Luk 19:4 And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
Luk 19:5 And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.
Luk 19:6 And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully.
Luk 19:7 And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner.
Luk 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
Luk 19:9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
Luk 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

can't you se from the story that Zach, even with his wealth and popularity sought with all his might to see the Master because as at that time in Jerusalem, Jesus was the household name and zach being a jew working for the romans had incurred the hatred of his kinsmen, so he sought to straighten that out by catching the attention of the Master paradventure, this might go down well with his folks. but Jesus shocked the guy and the teeming crowd when he said he would dine with the tax collector! zach was so shocked that he bursted out with that "benevolent" promise meanwhile Jesus was not moved by it rather he stuck to his mission of getting him saved. remember, giving to the poor was a part of the jewish practice.

........to be continued have to attend a meeting
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by LifeIsSweet(f): 5:15pm On Feb 09, 2013
Brother Frosbel, i am more agnostic than a christian such as yourself, but there are some universal laws that work no matter your faith. I am going to be vulgar, very vulgar in this thread.

The year i moved away from paying tithes and offerings and waiting for God to open the windows of heaven, but rather using that money to meet the needs of my neighbors, that same year i made an obscene amount of money. I have only gone from strength to strength and in less than five years, more like 3 years i have given out about a 100 million naira to the needy.

All those years i spent paying tithes and offerings and waiting for the lord to bless me, nothing happened. Present day christians are so gullible, and are being reaped off left and right by their pastors, it is sometimes painful to watch. The sad truth is that year after year they still remain the same in their finances, or only improve slightly, but most will become poorer because their pastors have collected the little they have. The funny thing is that this same christians will not give that money to the needy but will rather give the money to the church to buy their miracles. No wonder God is not listening to them anymore.

These are the same people that will come to this thread and warn you about stealing from God. What an irony.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Akdams(m): 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2013
ProPastorChris: @ OP

On point.

my first question to you is this: why do you treat that scripture in isolation, rather you should deal with the whole context (this shows you motive).

start[i][/i] from here:

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
Mat 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
Mat 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

first, there is no tithe preacher rather there are preachers of the Word. leave it or take it!
second, do you know anything called rhema? its God's word specifically for you at a particular time, for a particular purpose. did you notice the guys reaction? the guy was a "super glue" who rather than give to the poor talk more of the temple would hoard his money and notice how the bible described his reaction. Jesus gave the guy the solution to his life long problem of being selfish and self-centered.

below is the story you quoted:
Luk 19:1 And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.
Luk 19:2 And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.
Luk 19:3 And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.
Luk 19:4 And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
Luk 19:5 And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.
Luk 19:6 And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully.
Luk 19:7 And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner.
Luk 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
Luk 19:9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
Luk 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

can't you se from the story that Zach, even with his wealth and popularity sought with all his might to see the Master because as at that time in Jerusalem, Jesus was the household name and zach being a jew working for the romans had incurred the hatred of his kinsmen, so he sought to straighten that out by catching the attention of the Master paradventure, this might go down well with his folks. but Jesus shocked the guy and the teeming crowd when he said he would dine with the tax collector! zach was so shocked that he bursted out with that "benevolent" promise meanwhile Jesus was not moved by it rather he stuck to his mission of getting him saved. remember, giving to the poor was a part of the jewish practice.

........to be continued have to attend a meeting
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by tpia5: 6:23pm On Feb 09, 2013
a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him.

3 Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected,

5 “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.

john 12
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 09, 2013
tpia@:

john 12

Indeed , they take the money for the poor and use it for their own selfish ends.

thanks.
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Feb 09, 2013
LifeIsSweet: Brother Frosbel, i am more agnostic than a christian such as yourself, but there are some universal laws that work no matter your faith. I am going to be vulgar, very vulgar in this thread.

The year i moved away from paying tithes and offerings and waiting for God to open the windows of heaven, but rather using that money to meet the needs of my neighbors, that same year i made an obscene amount of money. I have only gone from strength to strength and in less than five years, more like 3 years i have given out about a 100 million naira to the needy.

All those years i spent paying tithes and offerings and waiting for the lord to bless me, nothing happened. Present day christians are so gullible, and are being reaped off left and right by their pastors, it is sometimes painful to watch. The sad truth is that year after year they still remain the same in their finances, or only improve slightly, but most will become poorer because their pastors have collected the little they have. The funny thing is that this same christians will not give that money to the needy but will rather give the money to the church to buy their miracles. No wonder God is not listening to them anymore.

These are the same people that will come to this thread and warn you about stealing from God. What an irony.

It is more blessed to give than to receive, not giving to endless projects and the inventions of man , but to those who are struggling and in dire need. Who do these MOG think they are to take my money and use it as they like without any accountability and transparency.

May I humbly suggest , under no compulsion, that you throw away all you ever learnt from the manmade church and relearn the bible for yourself, this is something I did and still doing. You will be shocked at how simple the truth is , void of the dubiousness of men.

Otherwise your choice is respected smiley
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 09, 2013
EasyNaija.com:
Spot on. This is something i've been stressing on for a long time now.

The only thing that would cause me to support giving so much money to churches is if the churches themselves act as a medium for distributing the offerings to the needy, but the truth is that most of them do not.

You know, if they did stuff like... Prepare packaged food to be distributed to beggars, Build a public home for the homeless, Buy new support aids for the disabled e.t.c, and other things that we cannot do on our own individually, then maybe they'll get that credit.

If they prepared food for the beggars around them at least once a day, the beggars would have that one hope of survival.
These people actually die of hunger you know..., like the one I saw under someone's car one day, he looked like he weighed less than a skeleton, like as if his body has fed off all the fat he had and was now eating into the bone. He didn't even have the energy to know if he was alive or dead. He was just laying there motionless, eyes open, staring at the sky, N20 in his right hand (God bless whoever put that there).
A lot of us who were waiting at the ATM machine had thought he was dead until he slightly dragged one arm across the ground and tried to raise his head. The guy standing close to me said "If anybody wan go there carry am now e go turn to police matter". That was when it occured to me that this man would die there. The owner of the car finally arrived and tried unsuccessfully to persuade him out of there. He lost patience then got into the car and drove off, one of the tires brushed the man's temple and scraped off the skin there. I still cannot get that image out of my head. One girl standing with me at the ATM machine screamed and almost cried.

A few sundays ago, I laughed when my church announced they made 60million from the previous harvest and how they have deposited it into their bank account.

How rich you are is dependent on how many people you have fed.

You just earned yourself a follower bro.

I agree with you.

Ever since I shook off the control of MAN over my Christian life, I was able to see the deep truths in the bible that had been hidden from me and countless others by tradition, false teachings and outright lies.

We all have a personal responsibility to do the right thing, not according to church doctrine or what passes off as final truth from our MOG, but according to the word of GOD.

We are accountable to GOD and him only, though we should obey the leaders in the church ONLY when they are leading us according to the truth not away from the truth.

May GOD use his faithful children to relieve the pain and hurt in the lives of Many.

Peace !
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Yvete(f): 8:39am On Feb 10, 2013
Great read!

Since last year, we've been contemplating on tithing at Church ever since I heard stories about flamboyant Pastors and private jets. I had lengthy discussions with my family about this issue and I may have to start giving my tithes to Christian charity organizations. Yea, I could offer whatever my spirit leads me to give on a Sunday morning to support the Church. Sometimes, we get scared of doing the wrong things, but let the Holy Spirit guide us. Showing love and compassion for someone's need, shows respect for Gods creation.

I get tired of hearing money, money, money at Church every time.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 10, 2013
Yvete: Great read!

Since last year, we've been contemplating on tithing at Church ever since I heard stories about flamboyant Pastors and private jets. I had lengthy discussions with my family about this issue and I may have to start donating my tithes to Christian charity organizations. Yea, I could offer whatever my spirit leads me to give on a Sunday morning to support the Church. Sometimes, we get scared of doing the wrong things, but let the Holy Spirit guide us. Showing love and compassion for someone's need, shows respect for Gods creation.

I get tired of hearing money, money, money at Church every time.

The plain truth is that tithing is illegal, fraudulent, a manipulation and by default perpetuated by MEN who are building their own empires or kingdoms.

There are people in church who give ever so faithfully and their live situation has not changed , in fact , while the pastor and his henchmen in church are getting richer, these people are living from hand to mouth.

Nothing can be substituted for hardwork, God is not a magician, in fact let's hear what Paul had to say about hardwork, income and helping the poor.

"He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need" - Ephesians 4:28

"For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." - 2 Thessalonians 3:10

" Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you," - 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Do you know that Paul worked intermittently even though he did receive the occasional financial support which he refereed to as gifts and which was not always money , it was more of supplies than raw cash , such as food , clothes etc.

And why did Paul work and today we have people who want to be 100% dependent on other people.
Re: Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 10, 2013
tobtap: The church came into being after d resurection of our lord jesus..so I guess he said to d man to give his tinz to d poor..since d bible said wen u give to d poor u give to God.
so we should now give to d church neglecting d poor people abi?dats bad

(1) (Reply)

No Hope For African Pope - Benedict's Brother. / Was There A Governing Body In First Century Christianity? / Receiving The Anointing To Prosper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.