Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch (1269 Views)

Surface Pro 3 In Pictures (www.yitre.com) / Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Or Macbook Air / Microsoft Surface: Windows 8 Tablet By Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by remmyz(m): 7:40pm On Feb 09, 2013
Microsoft’s $999 128GB Surface Pro has sold out in the online
Microsoft Store in the U.S. (via WinBeta), just a few hours
after going on sale today, February 9. The 64GB version is still
available as of this writing, and the Surface Pro is still likely in
stock at physical retail locations like Best Buy, where it also
went on sale today, although checking the stock levels via
their online tool reports the Surface Pro as “Unavailable”
across the board.
http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/02/09/microsofts-128gb-surface-pro-sells-out-at-ms-online-store-just-hours-after-launch/

So happy for MS....are you?
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by samir101ng(m): 8:55am On Feb 11, 2013
Yes, i am !!! Goes to show you that MS can still churn out a good product. As an ultrabook replacement, it certainly gives plenty of bang for the buck when you consider its portabilty and potential for enterprise use.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by Bawss1(m): 11:25am On Feb 13, 2013
This is amazing considering that the Surface Pro garnered less than impressive reviews from many quarters. I mean with reports that its battery life is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hours when the competition averages 7 hours, usable memory on the 64G model is 23G (83G on the 128G model) and the absence of a cellular model - well, I guess I'm the only one that requires that this feature is a must grin

Maybe those reviews are flawed or I put too much faith in them. Either way I still want a Surface, the Pro is the way to go but at that $1000 price tag I may just have to settle for the RT or maybe just give it some time for the price to drop embarassed
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by samir101ng(m): 5:22pm On Feb 13, 2013
Bawss1: This is amazing considering that the Surface Pro garnered less than impressive reviews from many quarters. I mean with reports that its battery life is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hours when the competition averages 7 hours, usable memory on the 64G model is 23G (83G on the 128G model) and the absence of a cellular model - well, I guess I'm the only one that requires that this feature is a must grin

Maybe those reviews are flawed or I put too much faith in them. Either way I still want a Surface, the Pro is the way to go but at that $1000 price tag I may just have to settle for the RT or maybe just give it some time for the price to drop embarassed

That's why Microsoft made 2 different devices for two different purposes. For the casual user interested in using the tablet for some light browsing, games and multimedia. The Surface RT with its less power consuming ARM chips will do just that. For the road warrior or enterprise user that needs to do some serious work or run some native windows apps especially in an enterprise setting, the surface pro is there for you. Most reviews i have read push the Surface pro as an ultrabook replacement hence the price range but with the added advantage of portability.
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by Bawss1(m): 7:30am On Feb 14, 2013
Microsoft's philosophy behind the Surface Pro is very clear, deliver a device that leverages the powers of a laptop with all the advantages of a tablet but if the reports of the battery life(~4hrs)are true then, IMO that is a major fail. Imagine shelving out $1000 for a device that is supposedly mobile and still having to be tethered to a power socket for the most part. Obviously they were gunning for the hybrid niche of the tablet market but these short comings may lead buyers to the offerings from the competition.

Anyways I hope these sales are true and profitable for Microsoft, I really want the Surface to be the iPad killer.
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by samir101ng(m): 12:19pm On Feb 15, 2013
@bawss1,

Spot on. Battery life is a very important factor but i don't fault them when i look at the specs on that tablet. It has a real Core i5 processor in there with a 1080p screen. That's gonna give a real ass kicking to any tablet's battery on the market. However though, the onus is on them to find a better long lasting solution to it. For now though, its raising the bar on the competition.
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by Bawss1(m): 1:07pm On Feb 15, 2013
^

Are you also not bothered by the available memory? cheesy

. . .well that shouldn't be a major problem since it has support for a microSDXC card. But damn, the operating system is quite a memory hog.
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by samir101ng(m): 1:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
Bawss1: ^

Are you also not bothered by the available memory? cheesy

. . .well that shouldn't be a major problem since it has support for a microSDXC card. But damn, the operating system is quite a memory hog.

Not really !!! i have already zeroed my mind on viewing the Surface Pro as an enterprise device therefore you dont expect a road warrior to be packing music, vidoes and large pictures onto the surface pro. I view it more as a tool for accessing corporate e-mails, SAP, Oracle, Cisco applications from company servers. Plus as you rightly pointed out, it has an Micro-SD card slot. A 64GB Sandisk Class 10 Microsd card should do just fine. Being wifi-only also makes it more secure for use on company's wireless networks with enterprise encryption. The occasional angry birds wont spoil the fun though cool cool
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by Bawss1(m): 3:35pm On Feb 22, 2013
Just recently I happened to stumble upon a hybrid tablet running the full windows 8 OS. It was the HP Envy X2 and I must say it was a pretty decent device, immediately I must state that its processor is nowhere near whats on the Surface Pro, it sports an Atom processor while the Pro sports an i5 but asides that and a few minor differences I wonder why I would go for a Pro in the first place . . . My point here is that I think the Pro is in for some serious competition from the hybrid crowd. The likes of Samsung, Lenovo and Asus all have tablet hybrid offerings running windows 8 and there I was thinking that the Surface was the only one in this niche.
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by moonraker(m): 6:58pm On Feb 22, 2013
Bawss1: Just recently I happened to stumble upon a hybrid tablet running the full windows 8 OS. It was the HP Envy X2 and I must say it was a pretty decent device, immediately I must state that its processor is nowhere near whats on the Surface Pro, it sports an Atom processor while the Pro sports an i5 but asides that and a few minor differences I wonder why I would go for a Pro in the first place . . . My point here is that I think the Pro is in for some serious competition from the hybrid crowd. The likes of Samsung, Lenovo and Asus all have tablet hybrid offerings running windows 8 and there I was thinking that the Surface was the only one in this niche.

blah blah blah, Buttom line here is that it sold out. Same thing your saying about Surface Pro is what was being said

about your iphone and apple products. YET, apples stock share prices are right up there and profit margins are churned in like clock work.

Look, The Surfsce Pro isnt for everybody, period. Its for people who truly understand how to use it and know the importance. now for someone

who just browses the web. check emails etc, there wouldnt be any use to do all that. But in an enterprise environment, such a device would excel.

imagine being able to run full blown x86 apps ranging from enterprise email, root packet etc. Something that the ipad or any android cannot not do.

oh and by the way, the HP x2 isnt powerful enough to do what the surface pro cant. CASE CLOSED!!!
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by Bawss1(m): 7:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
That the Pro sold out isn't being debated here I am just stating my observations. When it comes to computers I'm a huge fan of MS and I especially like Windows 8 so I want them to succeed despite the shortcomings that I feel the Surface Pro has. So chill dude, we are on the same side.
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by texazzpete(m): 5:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
Bawss1: Microsoft's philosophy behind the Surface Pro is very clear, deliver a device that leverages the powers of a laptop with all the advantages of a tablet but if the reports of the battery life(~4hrs)are true then, IMO that is a major fail. Imagine shelving out $1000 for a device that is supposedly mobile and still having to be tethered to a power socket for the most part. Obviously they were gunning for the hybrid niche of the tablet market but these short comings may lead buyers to the offerings from the competition.

Anyways I hope these sales are true and profitable for Microsoft, I really want the Surface to be the iPad killer.

Surface Pro has the same battery life as the 11 inch Macbook Air...which is actually better engineering from Microsoft since the Surface Pro is thinner and smaller than the Macbook Air and with a higher res screen.

For most people, a laptop with a 4+ hour battery life is pretty decent. It can't match the long battery life of the ARM powered tablets like the iPad but it's an acceptable trade-off for many for the core i5 CPU.
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by moshoodn(m): 11:47pm On Feb 23, 2013
How soon does this get to retail shops in Lagos?
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by abohrandy: 1:17am On Feb 24, 2013
IS IT BY SELLING OUT? HOW MANY DID THEY SEll? it could b a free tens of thousands and tey a r here making noise!!!
Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by texazzpete(m): 2:48pm On Feb 24, 2013
abohrandy: IS IT BY SELLING OUT? HOW MANY DID THEY SEll? it could b a free tens of thousands and tey a r here making noise!!!

Microsoft isn't here making noise... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Microsoft’s Surface Pro Sells Out Just Hours After Launch by jazmartins: 7:54pm On Feb 24, 2013
Window 8 pro for sell with avtivation keyn if you are interested call me on08164873335

(1) (Reply)

Fairly Use Hp Dv6 Laptop For Sale... / WhatsApp could be about to kill support for your mobile device / Hey! Let's Talk About Raspberry Pi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.