Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,084 members, 7,825,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors (6999 Views)

Toyota Corolla Is The Most Reliable Car In America: Ford The Cheapest To Maintai / Vehicle Is Burning On 3rd Mainland Bridge (photos) / Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by olajay5: 12:27pm On Feb 11, 2013
Dear Nairalander,

I had an issue with my Toyota Corolla 2008 saloon car's air conditioning system and the AC repairer suggested I have to change the compressor, so which I obliged and pay him to buy a new compressor but alas, the compressor was burnt two days later after installation. Only God saved my car from been burnt. I returned the car back to the workshop and another compressor was installed. At this time, the fan was checked to be in order, the condenser was changed (to another condenser that has a fan attached to it) and everything seems ok. However, two weeks later, the unexpected happened again. The compressor was burnt again and I became very confused.

Please what should I do? Did anybody here have such experience before and how was the problem resolved? The gurus in the house, please help your brother to overcome this problem.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by femmy2010(m): 6:29pm On Feb 11, 2013
olajay5: Dear Nairalander,

I had an issue with my Toyota Corolla 2008 saloon car's air conditioning system and the AC repairer suggested I have to change the compressor, so which I obliged and pay him to buy a new compressor but alas, the compressor was burnt two days later after installation. Only God saved my car from been burnt. I returned the car back to the workshop and another compressor was installed. At this time, the fan was checked to be in order, the condenser was changed (to another condenser that has a fan attached to it) and everything seems ok. However, two weeks later, the unexpected happened again. The compressor was burnt again and I became very confused.

Please what should I do? Did anybody here have such experience before and how was the problem resolved? The gurus in the house, please help your brother to overcome this problem.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

maybe the technician simply repaired the previous one or replaced it with one meant for another type of car
Set aside a day to go to the spare market with him,buy the exact one meant for your car and have it installed in your presence.
Hopefully all should be well.
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by plendil: 9:57pm On Feb 11, 2013
I suspect foul play. Like Femi said you could accompany him the spare parts shop next time.

or better still why not take it to Toyota worksop to have it scanned?
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by mdautotec(m): 7:45am On Feb 12, 2013
Burning AC compressors are not very common on Corolla '08.
This type of compressor does not use an external clutch and magnet to engage the compressor it uses an oil pressure control solenoid built internally into the compressor for engagement.
These solenoids have a tendency to fail. The genuine compressors don't come cheap.
Please do oblige us as to how much your mechanic charged you for the compressor. Did he fix a new one?
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by olajay5: 11:30am On Feb 12, 2013
@md autotec and others,

Thanks for your valuable responses. The technician told me that the compressor that come with the car is an automatic and that it has a very high tendencies for failure. Therefore he advised that I buy a manual fairly used compressor saying most of the brand new compressors are fake and therefore, he cannot guarantee it will not fail again within the next 3 to 6 months.

Based on his advice and advice I read on a similar topic on Nairaland, I reluctantly agreed to buy the fairly used manual compressor and he billed me 65k for the repairs. Now, I am at a cross road and seriously need help and advice on the way out of this issue.
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by mdautotec(m): 11:44am On Feb 12, 2013
Sorry, I read again your statement that the condenser was replaced with a fan attached to it?

Firstly, possibly he did not check the system properly. He may be right in replacing the compressor due to leakage OR internal failure.

If it is an internal failure there may be a possibility the internally damaged pistons have allowed metal particles (shavings) to circulate through the system. If this is the case and you DO NOT flush the system (including evaporator), change the condenser assy and receiver drier, you can replace any number of compressors they will keep getting damaged!

Another issue is that your mechanic has changed the AC condenser with another type with a fan attached to it. This means he has certainly fabricated the condenser into place by cutting and welding the factory liquid (high pressure) lines. AC systems are designed to work at their peak efficiency with the components designed and installed from factory. It can be done effectively, but modifying it without understanding what is installed from factory can lead to a real mess.

The condenser is made up of tiny coils and cooling fins for maximum condensation (releasing of heat to the cooler ambient air flowing through it). In this case IF your mechanic has placed a smaller condenser than factory (despite the fan attached to it), it will increase the head (high) pressure in the system. High head pressures are also damaging to the AC compressor!

GO THROUGH THE FOLLOWING:

1) Let your mechanic ensure the AC (refrigerant oil) in the system is not turned a blackish color with metal particles.

2) If so, flush the system (including evaporator - located behind center of dashboard on Corolla '08). ENSURE THIS IS DONE THOROUGHLY....THE ENTIRE SYSTEM!

3) Replace the AC condenser with the original one that came from factory. Put about one (1) ounce of ND-Oil 8 (refrigerant oil) in it, before fitment.

4) The original AC condenser will have a receiver drier fitted inside, so no need to purchase a separate one.

5) Put the factory fan back in place (assuming that it is working perfectly well)! If not, change the fan , but put the original fan from factory!

6) Replace the AC compressor with an original Denso (factory) one. Put about two (2) ounces of ND-Oil 8 (refrigerant oil) in it.

7) Make sure all the O - ring seals are replaced on all fittings to ensure no system leakages!

cool It probably would be a good idea to replace the expansion valve as well at this time. As the system has already been opened and I am certain that your mechanic would not have changed this part.

9) Once everything is coupled properly and all O - ring seals replaced, hook up a vacuum pump to the system and vaccum it for about 20 minutes. The purpose of vacuuming a system is to remove the moisture that has entered the system when opened. Most mechanics don't bother because they do not know about it. Moisture in the system, if not removed causes a reaction with the refrigerant oil in the system that eats away the O-ring seals. This over time causes leakages in the system.

10) During the vacuum process you may add another one (1) ounce of ND-Oil 8 (refrigerant oil) through the vaccum machine.

11) Once completed fill the AC system with the specified amount of R134a freon (gas). There will be a sticker under the bonnet specifying the refrigerant quantity. Corolla '08 should be approximately 460 - 600 grams.

12) After filling let the system run at various loads and check for system leakages. Check high side (compressor, condenser, liquid lines) first, followed by low side (evaporator, expansion valve, low side hoses). There are various ways of checking. The local mechanics ways are to use soapy water around pipes and fittings. The best way is to install a dye in the system or use an electronic leak detector.

The above guide is as long as the electrical potion of the AC system is functioning perfectly well. I have based the above on this assumption because you mentioned the system has been fixed twice now and it has worked briefly (up to 2 weeks). If the electrical portion of it was faulty the blower fan etc would not engage at all....! NO COOLING...NOTHING!! A/C sub panel, wiring, relay issues etc. You have not mentioned any issue relating to this.

Once all factory components are used and procedures as above are followed you will have a factory trouble - free system that will serve you perfectly well!

If the above is too much for your mechanic take it to a standard service centre!

GOOD LUCK!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by olajay5: 1:12pm On Feb 12, 2013
@md autotec.

Waoh! This is thousands worth analysis and advice. However, I have more questions about the compressor. Please can I get original brand new compressor and may be condenser in Lagos? Do you have a workshop or know any good workshop that can help with all of this in Lagos? Because I am not sure my technician has enough knowledge of the system this much. If he does, he should have taken all these prerequisite steps and measures to ensure the AC is fixed once and for all.

Please if you know of any, kindly send the contact here.

Thanks once again while I expect your response.
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by mdautotec(m): 1:32pm On Feb 12, 2013
Please contact me on md_autos@yahoo.com

Let me see whether I can assist on this matter.

Regards
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by skyfall: 3:09pm On Feb 13, 2013
md_autotec: Please contact me on md_autos@yahoo.com

Let me see whether I can assist on this matter.

Regards

Thanks for your detailed analysis. I've learned from it too. I think it's good to just help this man fix his car.

@OP
Please let's know how it goes. I can't imagine having an '08 car with a broken AC.
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by cooleo(m): 8:03am On Mar 27, 2019
Hello all,
I stumbled on this thread while searching for solution to a similar problem in my toyota corrola 2008.

My compressor used to make a whining sound upon purchase and this sound metamorposed into a louder and unbearable knocking sound even though the ac was still chilling. I changed compressor to a manual one as advised by my technician and the car was very quiet. The next day while driving, gas released by itself from the compressor and stopped cooling. My technician had me change the condenser this time around. The next morning, ac didn't cool at all and the compressor started smelling burnt and bringing out smoke. Im seating in his work shop now waiting for him to resume.

Kindly advice on what to do or should i follow same steps as adviced by @mdautotec
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by OgbeniOptional(m): 3:00am On Mar 21, 2020
cooleo:
Hello all,
I stumbled on this thread while searching for solution to a similar problem in my toyota corrola 2008.

My compressor used to make a whining sound upon purchase and this sound metamorposed into a louder and unbearable knocking sound even though the ac was still chilling. I changed compressor to a manual one as advised by my technician and the car was very quiet. The next day while driving, gas released by itself from the compressor and stopped cooling. My technician had me change the condenser this time around. The next morning, ac didn't cool at all and the compressor started smelling burnt and bringing out smoke. Im seating in his work shop now waiting for him to resume.

Kindly advice on what to do or should i follow same steps as adviced by @mdautotec

Lol, hope u son go house now

1 Like

Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by dicksonadams(m): 5:30am On Mar 21, 2020
Ac wahala... One of the hardest wahala in car due to incompetent technician.

Some even prefer transmission wahala to ac wahala.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by fk001(m): 11:32am On Nov 17, 2021
cooleo:
Hello all,

Good morning, bro is your Ac working fine now? What did you do pls guide I also have similar issue?

Is it corrolla manual compressor you used or Peugeot manual compressor?

Thanks
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 2:25pm On Nov 17, 2021
dicksonadams:
Ac wahala... One of the hardest wahala in car due to incompetent technician.

Some even prefer transmission wahala to ac wahala.

once you cut corners or look for cheap options, you'll surely get burnt
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by babyboy4every1: 11:35pm On Nov 17, 2021
MASTAkiLLAh:
once you cut corners or look for cheap options, you'll surely get burnt
Why stressing yourself. An ac technician with full knowledge of the SC system has said what you should do. Why not contact him and have a peace of mind.
Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by cooleo(m): 1:38pm On Nov 20, 2021
fk001:

Good morning, bro is your Ac working fine now? What did you do pls guide I also have similar issue?

Is it corrolla manual compressor you used or Peugeot manual compressor?

Thanks

Sorry for my late response as I just saw your message.
The compressor was changed to another Corolla manual compressor. It turned out that the previous one I bought was faulty. After that, I have not had any ac issue ever since.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors by fk001(m): 3:06pm On Nov 20, 2021
cooleo:

Sorry for my late response as I just saw your message.
The compressor was changed to another Corolla manual compressor. It turned out that the previous one I bought was faulty. After that, I have not had any ac issue ever since.

Thanks for your response for how long now after changing to corrola manual compressor

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice On Acura Mdx 2002-2004 / Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? / What Happens To The Petrol In Your Car With Mechanics?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.