Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,897 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Is Getting Married A Woman's Greatest Achievement? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Getting Married A Woman's Greatest Achievement? (1137 Views)

What Is The Greatest Mistake You Made In Choosing Your Career .... / What Has Been Your Greatest Challenge In Life? / Too Choose Between My Work Or Getting Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Getting Married A Woman's Greatest Achievement? by Chrisjane(f): 7:56am On Feb 12, 2013
I have a friend who is 20 and a Bsc. Holder. She wants to further her career by going back to school 4 her masters cos she believes in self independence. The pressure from family and friends to get married is overwhelming. They said that marriage is the only thing she needs and nothing else. Is marriage a woman's greatest achievement?
Re: Is Getting Married A Woman's Greatest Achievement? by airroseice(m): 9:19pm On Aug 06, 2014
While the idea of "great achievement" is subjective may vary across cultures, I am of the opinion that it boils down to personal views on what is an achievement. For instance, an uneducated and or poor parent in Subsaharan Africa that struggled to send their child to attain a tertiary education might consider it a great achievement while it is normal for folks in the EU. This also applies to marriage. It is tough, especially in a society like Nigeria where peer pressure and social norms prevent people from being themselves and do what they really like.

To answer your question, marriage is the greatest achievement for some women but definitely not "a woman's greatest achievement"; that anomaly cannot apply. Personally I consider "leaving a footprint in this world (offspring)" to be a great (if not the greatest) achievement for us, however some people may disagree because they don't see the big deal about kids.

I hope this gives you a view on my thoughts.

Cheers.
Re: Is Getting Married A Woman's Greatest Achievement? by Chrisjane(f): 10:41pm On Aug 11, 2014
airroseice: While the idea of "great achievement" is subjective may vary across cultures, I am of the opinion that it boils down to personal views on what is an achievement. For instance, an uneducated and or poor parent in Subsaharan Africa that struggled to send their child to attain a tertiary education might consider it a great achievement while it is normal for folks in the EU. This also applies to marriage. It is tough, especially in a society like Nigeria where peer pressure and social norms prevent people from being themselves and do what they really like.

To answer your question, marriage is the greatest achievement for some women but definitely not "a woman's greatest achievement"; that anomaly cannot apply. Personally I consider "leaving a footprint in this world (offspring)" to be a great (if not the greatest) achievement for us, however some people may disagree because they don't see the big deal about kids.

I hope this gives you a view on my thoughts.

Cheers.

That's a nice one!

(1) (Reply)

MUST READ: 10 Traits That Young Millionaires Have In Common / KPMG Audit Graduate Trainee / 100 Common Job Interview Questions To Help You Prepare For Any Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.