Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Let's Teach Kids To Code - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Let's Teach Kids To Code (1559 Views)

How To Code Your Own Personal Assistant In Python / Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I Was Learning How To Code / Please Don't Learn To Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Teach Kids To Code by Freezle(m): 9:45am On Feb 12, 2013
This is about balance and perspective. Today over 90% of kids with access to technology are literate users whether it be games, surfing or messaging. Probably less than 10% are able to design and create the programmes that deliver those experiences that the 90% enjoy consuming. If in any other industry 10% manufactured and 90% consumed then we would be describing it as an economic disaster. It is this imbalance that we need to address. Not everyone will becoming programming experts, but if some do to fuel the manufacturing skills of the future, our kids lives and our society will be better for it. I bet coding is fun, but there are way too many languages it's not worth learning any of them.
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Seun(m): 12:32am On Feb 13, 2013
I agree with you. They should learn Python.
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by netesy(m): 2:45am On Feb 13, 2013
No scratch is a good language for kids that what my younger ones are learning though.
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by birdman(m): 3:05am On Feb 13, 2013
netesy: No scratch is a good language for kids that what my younger ones are learning though.

+1 for scratch. At a young age, you want to encourage creativity, not force kids to think like computers. Python is more intuitive than C for example, but neither are suitable for youngsters. Funny enough, I learnt programming with BASIC and C as a kid. I cant imagine the kind of applications I would have written if I had scratch
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by netesy(m): 3:39am On Feb 13, 2013
Maybe you would be Nigeria own Bjarne Stroustrup
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by birdman(m): 4:54am On Feb 13, 2013
^somehow I doubt it smiley
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by netesy(m): 5:09am On Feb 13, 2013
Why? I believe in you.
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Nobody: 7:27am On Feb 13, 2013
Seun: I agree with you. They should learn Python.
Good things to suggest a programming language you're used to but does that make it the best and why?
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Freezle(m): 11:06am On Feb 14, 2013
netesy: No scratch is a good language for kids that what my younger ones are learning though.

i agree with you on scratch
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Freezle(m): 11:10am On Feb 14, 2013
Coding isn’t just for computer whizzes, the benefits of teaching kids to code, so they can do more than just “read” new technologies -- but also create them. "Code" has different meanings depending on context. "Scratch" is a much higher level environment than HTML, say, or Java. That means everything. I agree that kids should learn to DESIGN and to BUILD and to IMAGINE, but we have to give them the right building blocks and tools. "Scratch" seems to be a step in that direction. Bravo!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by netesy(m): 2:06pm On Feb 14, 2013
Freezle: Coding isn’t just for computer whizzes, the benefits of teaching kids to code, so they can do more than just “read” new technologies -- but also create them. "Code" has different meanings depending on context. "Scratch" is a much higher level environment than HTML, say, or Java. That means everything. I agree that kids should learn to DESIGN and to BUILD and to IMAGINE, but we have to give them the right building blocks and tools. "Scratch" seems to be a step in that direction. Bravo!
well said
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Obinnau(m): 4:23pm On Feb 14, 2013
this thing you have all been saying has been only on your mouth. When do u begin cos am interested?
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by MrAnoTi(m): 7:45pm On Feb 14, 2013
Obinnau: this thing you have all been saying has been only on your mouth. When do u begin cos am interested?

LoL.. Abi o them just dey yarn many many
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by birdman(m): 3:32am On Feb 15, 2013
netesy: Why? I believe in you.
grin
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by birdman(m): 3:34am On Feb 15, 2013
Obinnau: this thing you have all been saying has been only on your mouth. When do u begin cos am interested?

Dont wait for Seun. You have to seize the time yourself
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Akeks(m): 4:57am On Feb 15, 2013
Seams like scratch serves it then. Xo who's our lecturer on this one?

And just to be sure do i need the internet to start programing?
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by netesy(m): 12:26pm On Feb 15, 2013
Search the internet bro, and my mum cant teach ya online
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Freezle(m): 3:51pm On Feb 16, 2013
Hey seun, This should make front page because we have to enlighten our fellow Nigerians on the important of programming and it has to be done from childhood. If some of us were opportune to learn this as a kid you bet what we would be doing on system.
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Shinatu: 10:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
Hello guys, how do I get a programming tutor for my 8year old? I contacted Code Week Nigeria but they have events only in Lagos and Abuja.
I gathered that their events are handled by Microsoft facilitators and am wondering if one can get any of those guys?
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 26, 2015
Shinatu:
Hello guys, how do I get a programming tutor for my 8year old? I contacted Code Week Nigeria but they have events only in Lagos and Abuja.
I gathered that their events are handled by Microsoft facilitators and am wondering if one can get any of those guys?
There are loads of tutorials you can download for him on youtube.

It's all about the interest. If you spark it up in him/her then he/she is good to go. Most of the great programmers are self thought. They only need a mentor of sort to spark up the interest.
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by Shinatu: 9:05am On Jul 27, 2015
^^^^^ Thank you. I'll need someone good with children (who trains/has trained children) to help 'spark up the interest'
Re: Let's Teach Kids To Code by megasamuel(m): 10:18pm On Jul 27, 2015
Kids.. Why don't we start from a more open level the teenagers those in secondary schools and with that kids would definitely come along, concerning language I personally learnt basic in senior school but python sounds like the next best thing

(1) (Reply)

The Relevance Of SAS And R Programming In Data Analytics / Learn How To Build Modern UI With Java (desktop App) / Did You Go Into Coding Because Of Passion Or For The Money Or Both?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.