Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,271 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Choosing The Right Foundation.... - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Choosing The Right Foundation.... (52690 Views)

Mikel Obi Foundation Emerges Miss Charity Ambassador 2015/ 2016 / Choosing The Right Foundation.( Makeup) / Foundation-which Is Better On Oily Skin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choosing The Right Foundation.... by PerfectBlend(f): 10:14am On Feb 12, 2013
Every lady wants her face looking perfectly blended and flawless when she's going out. well, there's only one way to get that flawless looking skin if you don't already have it. Buy a good foundation.

Foundation is one makeup accessory you don't want to stay away from. It helps brighten up your face, especially when your skin is stressed. Lots of ladies already have one of these in their makeup bags/purses but using it is usually a problem. Its either because they got the wrong shade of foundation, thereby making their face too white or dark. Sometimes, buying the wrong product is usually the problem.

For me, the best bet when it comes to foundation is either Mary Kay (above) or Maybelline (below) matte wear foundation. I've heard people make comments about these products, saying they aren't the best for our weather. well, you all are wrong. These foundations come in different shades and skin tone blends that suit all kinds of skin colour, so all you need to do is pick the right shade.

I'm not trying to promote these brands but thy work perfectly well for me and are readily available in most stores.
I always advice people to buy a foundation sponge. Its the best if you aren't a professional in makeup application, so leave the foundation brush to the pro's who'll know how to use it without leaving crack lines on the sides of their faces. There's also nothing wrong with using foundation everyday, as long as you wash your face every night when you get home.

Guidelines To Perfect Foundation Application
- Before buying your foundation, make sure you do a quick test. This test is carried out by applying and blending a little amount of the foundation on your jaw line and not on your hands because the foundation is for your face not body. Also, some peoples faces are darker than the rest of their body so using your hands as your ''buy guide'' might just help you pick the wrong shade.
- After picking the right shade of foundation, apply a reasonable amount on the sponge and rub all over the face, covering every contour and corner.
- Ensure you blend into your hair line, ears and down your jaw to your neck line and even your chest, if you are wearing something that'll expose your chest.
- Never apply an extra coat of foundation on already dry layer of foundation.
- Some people also say you shouldn't apply foundation on your eyelids but I'm saying you can, only if you don't have an eye primer, which most people don't except you are totally into makeup.
- If you have really oily skin, I advice that you skip moisturizers or facial creams before applying your foundation.
- Once you are done applying your foundation, let it dry out a little to avoid you face looking caked after you apply your powder.
- Dust your brown powder all over your face to set the foundation.

Thanks a lot for reading through, please leave your comments, contributions and questions. Will be glad to reply and help resolve any part you don't understand wink

You can also visit my blog on:www.perfectmelange..com follow me on twitter @Perfect_melange

~Perfect Mélange~

4 Likes

Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by genevasleek: 11:30am On Feb 12, 2013
Nice post,I picked some good points.I want to ask about body foundations.I saw a video review for products like dermablend and it was good..Am wonderin if body foundations can be gotten in nigeria
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by nenepea(f): 4:57pm On Feb 12, 2013
Pls how can you prevent your foundation from rubbing off on your shirt collar?

1 Like

Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by JuicyGee(f): 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2013
Pls is Iman liquid foundation and translucent powder a good product. And at most how much will it go for
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by PerfectBlend(f): 5:23pm On Feb 12, 2013
Thanks a lot. Body foundations are not so common here in Nigeria, but if you visit specific product consultants e.g Marykay or Black Opal, they can always help you get one.

genevasleek: Nice post,I picked some good points.I want to ask about body foundations.I saw a video review for products like dermablend and it was good..Am wonderin if body foundations can be gotten in nigeria
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by PerfectBlend(f): 5:26pm On Feb 12, 2013
That's almost unavoidable, but once you allow your foundation dry out properly, use either white powder or transluscent powder to set it, instead of brown powder.This should reduce the intensity of the stain

nenepea: Pls how can you prevent your foundation from rubbing off on your shirt collar?
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by PerfectBlend(f): 5:30pm On Feb 12, 2013
Iman is another good product I like.
The foundation and transluscent powder will give u a flawless look, especially if you are dark skinned but if you're on the light side, you can use marykay

JuicyGee: Pls is Iman liquid foundation and translucent powder a good product. And at most how much will it go for
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by azeeza(f): 5:54pm On Feb 12, 2013
@op, what about a combo of black opal foundation and iman pressed powder. dnt use though, i was thinking of switching role. angry@op, what about a combo of black opal foundation and iman pressed powder. dnt use though, i was thinking of switching role.
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by PerfectBlend(f): 8:41pm On Feb 12, 2013
Nooo! Don't mix Iman and black opal. Black opal foundation is cream based and will look a little caked when combined with Iman powder. Its either you use strickly blackopal, or you buy marykay foundation with your Iman powder.

azeeza: @op, what about a combo of black opal foundation and iman pressed powder. dnt use though, i was thinking of switching role. angry@op, what about a combo of black opal foundation and iman pressed powder. dnt use though, i was thinking of switching role.
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Onegai(f): 9:07am On Feb 15, 2013
Or you could talk to a makeup artist who knows what he/she is doing. Anyone can use any blend of makeup, and everyone's skin is different. As a makeup artist who does tv, music videos, mags,runway and adverts, I can assure you that there are several clients I use Black Opal cream foundation on, and others who do well with Mary Kay. It depends on your skin! The reason I don't recommend sponges is that it cakes on makeup, but if you must use it and you want to go for a light coverage, dampen your sponge with water first. This also helps to reduce the amount of foundation you waste, as sponges absorb product.

1 Like

Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Onegai(f): 9:12am On Feb 15, 2013
Black Opal cream foundation works better on dry skin, it's quite oily. Mary Kay liquid foundation suits normal to oily skin, and I recommend a translucent powder over both (not black opal's translucent powder, but maybe Black Up or Iman or Mac Mineralize Skin finish natural or heck, even Cornsilk translucent if you can find it).
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by PerfectBlend(f): 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2013
And I'm a makeup artist who knows what she's doing. When I say don't mix blackopal & Iman, its because they are both oil based so it might not give you a completely dry and flawless look especially if you have oily skin. Its better to combine an oil based foundation(blackopal) with mineral powder or translucent powder, or combine a water based foundation(Marykay) with oil based pressed powder(Iman).

Onegai: Or you could talk to a makeup artist who knows what he/she is doing. Anyone can use any blend of makeup, and everyone's skin is different. As a makeup artist who does tv, music videos, mags,runway and adverts, I can assure you that there are several clients I use Black Opal cream foundation on, and others who do well with Mary Kay. It depends on your skin! The reason I don't recommend sponges is that it cakes on makeup, but if you must use it and you want to go for a light coverage, dampen your sponge with water first. This also helps to reduce the amount of foundation you waste, as sponges absorb product.
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Onegai(f): 9:44am On Feb 20, 2013
Perfect Blend: And I'm a makeup artist who knows what she's doing. When I say don't mix blackopal & Iman, its because they are both oil based so it might not give you a completely dry and flawless look especially if you have oily skin. Its better to combine an oil based foundation(blackopal) with mineral powder or translucent powder, or combine a water based foundation(Marykay) with oil based pressed powder(Iman).

Thank you for attempting to school me. I also am a makeup artist, who sadly has not much experience in bridal, but has done television internationally, fashion shows in NY and Lagos, worked on music videos and magazine shoots and more than a few celebrities. Iman is not an oil-based pressed powder, the closest you will find in Nigeria that mimics that property is Tara Orekelewa's pressed powder, nice texture, wrong undertones. Iman is actually quite dry, as I recently had a guest on my tv show with dry skin, who insisted on Mary Kay liquid foundation and Iman pressed powder. She looked dry and ashy once the studio lights hit her. I switched to a cream foundation and the same powder and she looked better. To the person who asked, please meet a makeup artist whom you admire their work and book a consultation. Let them look at your skin and make some recommendations.

1 Like

Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 29, 2013
Onegai:

Thank you for attempting to school me. I also am a makeup artist, who sadly has not much experience in bridal, but has done television internationally, fashion shows in NY and Lagos, worked on music videos and magazine shoots and more than a few celebrities. Iman is not an oil-based pressed powder, the closest you will find in Nigeria that mimics that property is Tara Orekelewa's pressed powder, nice texture, wrong undertones. Iman is actually quite dry, as I recently had a guest on my tv show with dry skin, who insisted on Mary Kay liquid foundation and Iman pressed powder. She looked dry and ashy once the studio lights hit her. I switched to a cream foundation and the same powder and she looked better. To the person who asked, please meet a makeup artist whom you admire their work and book a consultation. Let them look at your skin and make some recommendations.

That you are a celebrity make up artist doesn't make you better than her, she came to the forum to share her knowledge and here you are belittling her, which i think is really disrespectful on your part.
Why don't you just start your own topic! i dón't admire your type!

I've followed some of her tips and it worked perfect for me.

ITK angry angry angry angry angry

25 Likes

Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Nobody: 4:02pm On Mar 30, 2013
Ok! U guys shldnt be fighting it out on NL na,u are both good makeup artists in ur respective fields. ℓ̊ have α really oily skin and my mistake has been using black opal foundation and mark kay powder,tnks for pointing this out! Am thinking of gettin mary kay liquid foundation (507,cos am light skinned) and iman powder..hope that will work?? Also,what's d diff btw d brown powder and translucent powder?? Tnks!! Also where can ℓ̊ get them at an afforadable price?

1 Like

Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by PerfectBlend(f): 10:01am On Apr 02, 2013
Hi I'm sure the Mary kay foundation & Iman powder will work for u.

The difference between the Translucent and other brown powders is; The Translucent powder is a low pigmented matte powder that helps to set your foundation without adding colour or shine to your finished look, while the regular brown powder also sets your foundation but adds colour to the face.

naanxie: Ok! U guys shldnt be fighting it out on NL na,u are both good makeup artists in ur respective fields. ℓ̊ have α really oily skin and my mistake has been using black opal foundation and mark kay powder,tnks for pointing this out! Am thinking of gettin mary kay liquid foundation (507,cos am light skinned) and iman powder..hope that will work?? Also,what's d diff btw d brown powder and translucent powder?? Tnks!! Also where can ℓ̊ get them at an afforadable price?
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 02, 2013
Perfect Blend: Hi I'm sure the Mary kay foundation & Iman powder will work for u.

The difference between the Translucent and other brown powders is; The Translucent powder is a low pigmented matte powder that helps to set your foundation without adding colour or shine to your finished look, while the regular brown powder also sets your foundation but adds colour to the face.

oh!thanks a lot..that helped! Do u know where ℓ̊ can get iman powder?? And what shade would u recommend?
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by PerfectBlend(f): 6:39am On Apr 03, 2013
You can get iman powder in any good cosmetic store, just be sure they don't sell fake products. I can't determine your shade without seeing what you look like but you can find it on their website: http://www.imancosmetics.com/findyourshade
[quote a[url][/url]uthor=naanxie] oh!thanks a lot..that helped! Do u know where ℓ̊ can get iman powder?? And what shade would u recommend?[/quote]
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by nairaman66(m): 3:18pm On Apr 03, 2013
Are we suppose to have 2 foundations in one face?
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Tonero2162: 3:24pm On Apr 03, 2013
Are you on Gbam? If no then you are seriously missing something. As we all know. Glo gives 5mb for just 5naira. Hahahahahaha too small for pc users like me. Glo actually gives 1gb plus on gbam everyday with just 5 naira depending on how you use it.. If you are on gbam and you need the trick you have to pay just $2 through liberty reserve and i tell you the trick. Just finish downloading 698 mb movie in less than 5mins thats for those of us that know about the download speed of glo. With just 5 naira everyday for 1gb plus. After you exhaust your 1gb it won't connect again till tomorrow!! You won't enjoy it if you are a phone user.. For pc users. Holla at me if you need it. Drop your requests. Drop ur number and i call. Costs $2 through liberty reserve or 400 naira mtn airtime.
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by free2ryhme: 3:30pm On Apr 03, 2013
Use white cement or elephant cement d foundation go strong. Hehehehe
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Amjustme: 3:43pm On Apr 03, 2013
Abeg I need to look flawless n younger!am very dark skinned with an oily face wot powder n foundatin wld u recommend? Where r u based?
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by caesaraba(m): 3:45pm On Apr 03, 2013
Raft Foundation, Pad Foundation, Pile or Strip Foundation, which ever you choose depends on the bearing capacity of the face soil. You should also note that which ever foundation you choose must effectively prevent against differential settlement while also transmitting the super-imposed dead, live and wind loads of the building. All designs involving metal works must be done according to BS449 and factor in the neccesarry allowable shear stresses. Thank you! angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Chynwe(f): 3:47pm On Apr 03, 2013
caesaraba: Raft Foundation, Pad Foundation, Pile or Strip Foundation, which ever you choose depends on the bearing capacity of the soil. You should also note that which ever foundation you choose must effectively prevent against differential settlement while also transmitting the super-imposed dead, live and wind loads of the building. All designs involving metal works must be done according to BS449 and factor in the neccesarry allowable shear stresses. Thank you! angry angry angry
u are a clown
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by GraceBestowed(f): 3:54pm On Apr 03, 2013
Op knows her stuff, quite informative, especially in Nigeria. If you're not a fan of foundation (full coverage), you can use tinted moisturiser, amazing stuff, plus it contains sun block!
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by omorsexie(f): 3:57pm On Apr 03, 2013
cool cool
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by GraceBestowed(f): 3:59pm On Apr 03, 2013
Am just me: Abeg I need to look flawless n younger!am very dark skinned with an oily face wot powder n foundatin wld u recommend? Where r u based?

Depending on where you are, try 'Black Up', or 'Iman'. Although it is more advisable to do a foundation test before buying a product. Using the wrong foundation can give you the 'ghost effect'!

2 Likes

Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 03, 2013
caesaraba: Raft Foundation, Pad Foundation, Pile or Strip Foundation, which ever you choose depends on the bearing capacity of the face soil. You should also note that which ever foundation you choose must effectively prevent against differential settlement while also transmitting the super-imposed dead, live and wind loads of the building. All designs involving metal works must be done according to BS449 and factor in the neccesarry allowable shear stresses. Thank you! angry angry angry
lol,guy calm down!! If u guys dnt like ds stuffs,saty outta it!! U cracked me up sha
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by obi123: 4:06pm On Apr 03, 2013
hello Perfect blend , i have noticed some foundations have red hues and yellow hues, like they were not complicated enough .
what is this hue thing, is it the underlying shade or the effect or what really ? i really dont get it

also what say you about Ben Nye foundations
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by petkoffDrake(m): 4:08pm On Apr 03, 2013
I think say na beta thing sef! Mtcheeew! NNNEEEXXXTTT! angry
Re: Choosing The Right Foundation.... by Nobody: 4:18pm On Apr 03, 2013
Perfect Blend: You can get iman powder in any good cosmetic store, just be sure they don't sell fake products. I can't determine your shade without seeing what you look like but you can find it on their website: http://www.imancosmetics.com/findyourshade
wow,jst checked it..helped a lot! ℓ̊ think am within the range of sand 2-3 and 3-4..but most online stores have clay!! Na wa o! Confusion

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Ladies Take A Guy That Sags Like This Serious? (Pictured) / This Lady's Weight Loss Journey Photos Will Leave You Speechless / Latest Ankara Bum Shorts You Can Rock In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.