Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,248 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Sharia And Nigeria Politics - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sharia And Nigeria Politics (633 Views)

Iranian Women Went Coverless In Protest Against Hijab And Sharia Law / Sodomy And Gang violation: Islam's Legacy With The Blessings Of Sharia. / The Truth About Sharia Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sharia And Nigeria Politics by justaqad(m): 8:27am On Feb 13, 2013
Salam Alaykum
In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is spiritual or moral impurity or deviation from an ideal. Corruption may include many activities including bribery and embezzlement. Government, or 'political', corruption occurs when an office-holder or other governmental employee acts in an official capacity for his or her own personal gain.
corruption is synonymous with the term NIgeria. civilised and morally upright countries deal with this syndrome harshly without mercy.but in Nigeria reverse is the case.corruption is condoned.corruption is only a crime when you steal in 4 figures.you disgrace the cabal an you would be punished severely there is no impunity for stealing in 4 figures.
when you exalt to 6 figures you will be revered and celebrated only Nigeria.
it is no news how petty thief are dealt with in Sharia states in Nigeria.though the punishments are harsh but serves as deterent to others.
Sharia in the north has been politicized,justice has been relegated.only the poor and weak face justice and punishment,the rich and influential are praised encouraged to do more.
what stops Sharia from Amputating the big shots that is holding Northern Nigeria to ransom?
Masalam

1 Like

Re: Sharia And Nigeria Politics by deols(f): 9:10am On Feb 13, 2013
You are asking questions we may not know the answers to either.

I don't live in the North and so won't follow the crowd and say shariah is politicised. I would rather ask how widely it is practiced and if for every situation, it is applied.

then I will go on to try to know if it is done the right way when it is practised.

Shariah encompasees all of a Muslim's life. Most of the time, people only talk of the criminal law part of it. what about the laws of divorce, of inheritance and of finance. You don't take an aspect, leaving out the rest and still claim to be a shariah state IMO.

and talking the criminal law, it should only hold where there is social justice. You are not to call someone a thief and go ahead to cut their hands when you have failed to provide them what to eat. An example is a story making rounds on facebook of an indonesian shariah judge who rather than send a grandma who was charged for stealing to jail, he ordered everyone to pay for her upkeep.

1 Like

Re: Sharia And Nigeria Politics by justaqad(m): 12:41pm On Feb 13, 2013
deols: You are asking questions we may not know the answers to either.

I don't live in the North and so won't follow the crowd and say shariah is politicised. I would rather ask how widely it is practiced and if for every situation, it is applied.

then I will go on to try to know if it is done the right way when it is practised.

Shariah encompasees all of a Muslim's life. Most of the time, people only talk of the criminal law part of it. what about the laws of divorce, of inheritance and of finance. You don't take an aspect, leaving out the rest and still claim to be a shariah state IMO.

and talking the criminal law, it should only hold where there is social justice. Y[b]ou are not to call someone a thief and go ahead to cut their hands when you have failed to provide them what to eat.[/b] An example is a story making rounds on facebook of an indonesian shariah judge who rather than send a grandma who was charged for stealing to jail, he ordered everyone to pay for her upkeep.

surely you are not living in Nigeria.
Re: Sharia And Nigeria Politics by maclatunji: 10:19am On Feb 20, 2013
deols: You are asking questions we may not know the answers to either.

and talking the criminal law, it should only hold where there is social justice. You are not to call someone a thief and go ahead to cut their hands when you have failed to provide them what to eat. An example is a story making rounds on facebook of an indonesian shariah judge who rather than send a grandma who was charged for stealing to jail, he ordered everyone to pay for her upkeep.

It would be nice to share the Indonesian story here on a new thread.
Re: Sharia And Nigeria Politics by MacDaddy01: 6:36pm On Feb 20, 2013
justaqad: Salam Alaykum
In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is spiritual or moral impurity or deviation from an ideal. Corruption may include many activities including bribery and embezzlement. Government, or 'political', corruption occurs when an office-holder or other governmental employee acts in an official capacity for his or her own personal gain.
corruption is synonymous with the term NIgeria. civilised and morally upright countries deal with this syndrome harshly without mercy.but in Nigeria reverse is the case.corruption is condoned.corruption is only a crime when you steal in 4 figures.you disgrace the cabal an you would be punished severely there is no impunity for stealing in 4 figures.
when you exalt to 6 figures you will be revered and celebrated only Nigeria.
it is no news how petty thief are dealt with in Sharia states in Nigeria.though the punishments are harsh but serves as deterent to others.
Sharia in the north has been politicized,justice has been relegated.only the poor and weak face justice and punishment,the rich and influential are praised encouraged to do more.
what stops Sharia from Amputating the big shots that is holding Northern Nigeria to ransom?
Masalam

What is your point? That sharia is not properly practiced in Nigeria? That only the small time crooks are punished while the big thieves are ;let scot-free?
Re: Sharia And Nigeria Politics by justaqad(m): 10:53pm On Feb 20, 2013
MacDaddy01:

What is your point? That sharia is not properly practiced in Nigeria? That only the small time crooks are punished while the big thieves are ;let scot-free?

The OP is self explanatory,but for clarity.
The Big thieves go unpunished...that's my point..
Sharia in the north is politicised.
Re: Sharia And Nigeria Politics by olawalebabs(m): 6:56am On Feb 21, 2013
There is a misconception about the practice of sharia in the country. The 'leader' only choose the penal aspect of the law, leaving out the social and economic aspect of the law. Sharia law goes beyond amputating and stoning of people, how many of them are giving out their zakat (right quantity and as at when due). May Allah guide us aright.
Re: Sharia And Nigeria Politics by justaqad(m): 8:29am On Feb 21, 2013
olawalebabs: There is a misconception about the practice of sharia in the country. The 'leader' only choose the penal aspect of the law, leaving out the social and economic aspect of the law. Sharia law goes beyond amputating and stoning of people, how many of them are giving out their zakat (right quantity and as at when due). May Allah guide us aright.

Rightly Noted......
Re: Sharia And Nigeria Politics by MacDaddy01: 11:46am On Feb 21, 2013
justaqad:

The OP is self explanatory,but for clarity.
The Big thieves go unpunished...that's my point..
Sharia in the north is politicised.

Agreed!

(1) (Reply)

9-year-Old Commits Suicide After Bullying, Threats From Muslim Students / My Question To All Muslims. / Burden Of Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.