Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... (1832 Views)

The Solemnnity Of Christ The King, All Catholics Please Stand Up!!! / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" / Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by MacDaddy01: 5:13pm On Feb 13, 2013
If the catholic church is false, all christianity is false.

smiley

Catholics compiled the bible and they are the first and oldest christian denomination in the world (Frosbel cant even trace his church to the 15th century).
Catholic bible is more complete as it has the extra books missing from the protestants

Or am I wrong? I need opinions on this? I may be wrong smiley
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by inspiredbyGOD(m): 6:53pm On Feb 13, 2013
*Catholics did not compile the bible.
* first and oldest denomination doesn't necessarily mean it holds all truth.
* The apocrypha was excluded in the compilation of the bible. And not all the apocryphal books can be found in the Catholic bible, they only added some of it so it is not as complete as you think.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by MacDaddy01: 6:58pm On Feb 13, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
* The apocrypha was excluded in the compilation of the bible. And not all the apocryphal books can be found in the Catholic bible, they only added some of it so it is not as complete as you think.

Catholics didnt compile the bible? Who did?
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by scarred: 7:17pm On Feb 13, 2013
MacDaddy01: If the catholic church is false, all christianity is false.

smiley

Catholics compiled the bible and they are the first and oldest christian denomination in the world (Frosbel cant even trace his church to the 15th century).
Catholic bible is more complete as it has the extra books missing from the protestants

Or am I wrong? I need opinions on this? I may be wrong smiley

You are very wrong....The Roman Catholic Church is a direct construct of the Council of Nicea, a convocation that was called into place by Emperor Constantine to codify and streamline the different doctrines of the day. The Council of Nicea was also called to refute the teachings of Arius the Libyan. After the Council of Nicea, Constantine decreed, that all doctrines that ran contrary to the codification was anathematized.

But factions still remained that did not agree with a lot of what the Council came up with, things like Holy Days (which we now call Holidays), the language of the Church (Latin), the divinity of Christ, the importance of the papacy. These factions went underground and would re-emerge later at the fore front of the reformation and the eventual protestation of the doctrine of the Roman Catholic church.

Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 13, 2013

Are you sure you know anything about the compilation of the bible? Where did u read that the deuteronocanonical books were excluded?

73 books were canonised @ the synod of hippo held in 393 CE and council of carthage in 397CE both councils were presided by St Augustine of Hippo one of the greatest theologians that has ever lived.

@ logicboy

How did u arrive @ this this your conclusion?
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by MacDaddy01: 8:35pm On Feb 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

Are you sure you know anything about the compilation of the bible? Where did u read that the deuteronocanonical books were excluded?

73 books were canonised @ the synod of hippo held in 393 CE and council of carthage in 397CE both councils were presided by St Augustine of Hippo one of the greatest theologians that has ever lived.

@ logicboy

How did u arrive @ this this your conclusion?

I am willing to hear contrary opinions. However, I was a catholic before. When I left the church, I didnt even think of looking at another church. If the catholic church is false, how would its children churches be better?
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 13, 2013
@scared

This your tales by moonlight how did you come about it?

Which church went underground? You really make me laugh.Not even during the roman persecution was the church cowed!! Underground indeed for more than 1000 yrs
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by MacDaddy01: 8:39pm On Feb 13, 2013
chukwudi44: @scared

Which church went underground? You really make me laugh.Not even during the roman persecution was the church cowed!! Underground indeed for more than 1000 yrs

Dont mind the guy, he is in denial
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 8:46pm On Feb 13, 2013
MacDaddy01:

I am willing to hear contrary opinions. However, I was a catholic before. When I left the church, I didnt even think of looking at another church. If the catholic church is false, how would its children churches be better?
The fact that you were catholic did not mean most atheists were catholic.Even seun the owner of this site converted from pentecostalism
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 13, 2013
Good evening guys,

Have you heard of the phrase: "Divide and conquer"??

From the look of things, LB's strategy is working!

Think about it!
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by MacDaddy01: 8:54pm On Feb 13, 2013
chukwudi44:
The fact that you were catholic did not mean most atheists were catholic.Even seun the owner of this site converted from pentecostalism

I never said that most atheists are catholics smiley
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by MacDaddy01: 8:55pm On Feb 13, 2013
striktlymi: Good evening guys,

Have you heard of the phrase: "Divide and conquer"??

From the look of things, LB's strategy is working!

Think about it!

Sharaap smiley
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 8:56pm On Feb 13, 2013
MacDaddy01:

Sharaap smiley

grin

You no dey watch match?? tongue
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by MacDaddy01: 8:57pm On Feb 13, 2013
striktlymi:

grin

You no dey watch match?? tongue
Watching and typing.

Multitasking
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 13, 2013
MacDaddy01:
Watching and typing.

Multitasking

Cool!
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by dekung(m): 9:09pm On Feb 13, 2013
Your stubbornness and strong desire to veer away from overwhelming evidences when it directly stares you in the face is beyond me. Do you even read at all? If the bible was not compiled by the Catholic Church the who compiled it? Your pastor.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

* I don't know much about what transpired when the bible was compiled but what I do know is that the Catholic Church alone did not compile the bible. Different Churches at the time were also involved in the compilation.
* the seven extra books in the Catholic bible was rejected by the other denominations because they felt that they were not divinely inspired.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:16pm On Feb 13, 2013
dekung:
Your stubbornness and strong desire to veer away from overwhelming evidences when it directly stares you in the face is beyond me. Do you even read at all? If the bible was not compiled by the Catholic Church the who compiled it? Your pastor.
I am my own pastor and no I did not compile the bible but what I do know is that the Catholic Church was not the sole compiler of the bible. And euen if they did compile it alone, it doesn't really change the fact that early Christians were making use of "un-compiled" scriptures.

1 Like

Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by scarred: 9:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
chukwudi44: @scared

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitld to your own facts, please do the research, I have given you enough to go on. I have not disparaged you, so please do not disparage me. Study the Nicene Council, Google: Erasmus (The person who translated the bible from Latin to Greek) and Google William Tyndale (He translated the Bible to English), research Martin Luther and the reformation, pay attention to what their influences where. Not every Christian came from the Roman Catholic Faith. The people that PROTESTED became PROTESTANTS.

Say you don't know and I will show you. Google Constantine and when he called for the convocation. Until you have done these things, there really is nothing to discuss.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 13, 2013

* I don't know much about what transpired when the bible was compiled but what I do know is that the Catholic Church alone did not compile the bible. Different Churches at the time were also involved in the compilation.
* the seven extra books in the Catholic bible was rejected by the other denominations because they felt that they were not divinely inspired.

You do not know much about how the bible was compiled yet you are here spewing trash!! Which other denominations were involved? Do you mind naming them? Even the orthodox churches who were the first to leave the catholic church also recognise this books.some of them even use more than the 73 the catholic church uses.

The deuterocanonical books which were part of the septuagint which was used by even the apostles are recognised by all churches of apostolic origin which existed before the protestant reformation.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 13, 2013
scarred:

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitld to your own facts, please do the research, I have given you enough to go on. I have not disparaged you, so please do not disparage me. Study the Nicene Council, Google: Erasmus (The person who translated the bible from Latin to Greek) and Google William Tyndale (He translated the Bible to English), research Martin Luther and the reformation, pay attention to what their influences where. Not every Christian came from the Roman Catholic Faith. The people that PROTESTED became PROTESTANTS.

Say you don't know and I will show you. Google Constantine and when he called for the convocation. Until you have done these things, there really is nothing to discuss.

Quit mqking a fool of yourself!! I am very conversant with the proceeedings of the council of nicea 325 and has read over 100 accounts of that council including records by eye witnesses.

Your level of ignorance is quite nauseating!! Erasmus translated the bible from latin to greek!!! This is the very height of ignorance!!!

FYI all the books of the NT with the except mattew were written in greek!! The books of the OT was translated into greek in 275 BC by 70 jewish scholars under the authourity of ptolemy.This translation called the septuagint was even used by the apostles
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by scarred: 9:30pm On Feb 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

Quit mqking a fool of yourself!! I am very conversant with the proceeedings of the council of nicea 325 and has read over 100 accounts of that council including records by eye witnesses.

Your level of ignorance is quite nauseating!! Erasmus translated the bible from latin to greek!!! This is the very height of ignorance!!!

FYI all the books of the NT with the except mattew were written in greek!! The books of the OT was translated into greek in 275 BC by 70 jewish scholars under the authourity of ptolemy.This translation called the septuagint was even used by the apostles

I apologize, I can't speak to people like you, as you continue to insult me...I will go elsewhere...
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 13, 2013
@scared

Do you mean to tell me that martin luther was not a catholic before the reformation!! Do you really mean that?
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:35pm On Feb 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

You do not know much about how the bible was compiled yet you are here spewing trash!! Which other denominations were involved? Do you mind naming them? Even the orthodox churches who were the first to leave the catholic church also recognise this books.some of them even use more than the 73 the catholic church uses.

The deuterocanonical books which were part of the septuagint which was used by even the apostles are recognised by all churches of apostolic origin which existed before the protestant reformation.
Last time I checked, this thread was not about which church compiled the bible. It is about Catholics being the best atheist & Christianity being false because of Catholic doctrines. It would be better if you addressed the thread topic instead of deviating.
* Do Catholics make the best atheist?
* If the Catholic doctrine is false, does that mean that Christianity as a whole is false?

1 Like

Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
scarred:

I apologize, I can't speak to people like you, as you continue to insult me...I will go elsewhere...

I apologise if you find my comments offensive but I just find it so schocking that one could claim erasmus translated the bible into greek.

I had expected any elememtary student of bible history to do better than that.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 13, 2013
Last time I checked, this thread was not about which church compiled the bible. It is about Catholics being the best atheist & Christianity being false because of Catholic doctrines. It would be better if you addressed the thread topic instead of deviating.
* Do Catholics make the best atheist?
* If the Catholic doctrine is false, does that mean that Christianity as a whole is false?

If that was the case why didn't you adress the topic on your first post on this thread.You are the person who started this deviation from the topic!!

Yes if catholicism is false then christianity is false.catholics have had the grteatest influence in xtian history from selecting the books of the bible to deciding key doctrinal issues!!

The gospels were anonymous,it was the catholic church that told the rest of christiandom who wrote them .yes if the catholics are wrong then the gospels are wrong and xtianity is also wrong!!!
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by scarred: 9:45pm On Feb 13, 2013
I accept your apology and in that vein we can speak. Please do not insult me, we can exchange views, facts and opinions all day long, I will never insult you, even if I disagree with you. We can agree to disagree without being disagreeable.

To answer your question, Yes Martin Luther was Catholic, in fact he was a monk, so he was schooled in the Catholic Doctrine, this doesn't invalidate what I said earlier though.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 13, 2013
Please can you please explain how martin luther was a catholic monk and yet not catholic?
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by scarred: 9:56pm On Feb 13, 2013
chukwudi44: Please can you please explain how martin luther was a catholic monk and yet not catholic?

But I agreed that he was Catholic, a very staunch one...not just a Catholic, but a Monk as well.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by oboy3(m): 11:06pm On Feb 13, 2013
If it wasn't catholic church that compiled the Bible then it must be Adeboye or tb joshua
Smh
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by tpia5: 4:20am On Feb 14, 2013
the old testament is from the jewish torah.

the new testament is what is being argued here i suppose.

constantine commissioned fifty bibles in 331 AD, not sure if that was the first official canon.
Re: Catholics Make The Best Atheists Because They Know One Basic Truth......... by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:47am On Feb 14, 2013
chukwudi44:
Yes if catholicism is false then christianity is false.catholics have had the greatest influence in xtian history from selecting the books of the bible to deciding key doctrinal issues!!

The gospels were anonymous,it was the catholic church that told the rest of christiandom who wrote them .yes if the catholics are wrong then the gospels are wrong and xtianity is also wrong!!!
Christianity isn't bound to any one denomination so if Catholicism is false, then Catholicism is false not Christianity. The true Church is the spiritual Church. The body of believers all over the world (not bound by denomination but one in Christ).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Daily Manner / Ask Me Any Question About Spirituality / Football Coach Who Was Fired For Praying With Players Wins $2M Settlement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.