Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Re: On Nigeria Winning The Just Concluded AFCON - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Re: On Nigeria Winning The Just Concluded AFCON (637 Views)

21 Photos Of Nature Winning The Battle Over Nature / Nigeria Winning War Against Terror, CDS Insists / Nigeria Winning Corruption War Under Jonathan –presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Re: On Nigeria Winning The Just Concluded AFCON by canadaik(m): 10:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
I'm sure every Nigerian around the globe has in the last couple of weeks had one of those moments when they were happy and proud that they were Nigerians! Thats a good thing, if only we could have more of those moments! The feats of the super eagles in South Africa has indeed brought lots of smile, shared optimism and believe in the country. congratulatory messages has rang in from all quarters and rewards has been awarded for their heroic feats.

However I have been left bemused by some of the rewards that has greeted the super eagles victory, and by that i meant all the monetary awards running into millions, lands given and the all the national titles and awards given to them. Get me right, I am not saying that they dont deserve them, I am just left with questions such as this- are there not better endevours to commit all these money and resources splashed too ? How does winning the AFCON affects the common Nigerian living under $1 a day ? Is football really supposed to be the benchmark of getting the highest title in the land ?

In civilized communities, contributing directly to the society has always been a benchmark for national titles. In such communities, when people win trophyies like this the only headache of players would be to what charity were they going to make all those donations to ? thats the way of giving back to the community.

I dont have any issue with the players, i however have issues with the government who i believe are psycophants. I believe there are people more deserving of winning national awards that they overlook. I think making football the standard of achievement is not the best role model for the younger generation. We should be seeing such awards going to people who have directly involved themselves in doing something to change their societies and people around them, not bunch of thieveing politicians or football playing players. Philantropist, scholars are people who are more deserving of this awards.

If we are to grow as a country, improving things such as education, health, empowerment of women and children, fighting corruption are the things that should be celebrated. Not just winning a football tournament.

I rest my case!

(1) (Reply)

E-protest Against Child Marriage: Sign Your Petition Here Guys! / Proffessional Beggars / IGP Visits Rivers State, Avoids State Command Hqtrs & Journalists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.