Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops (20086 Views)

Business Owners Set Foreigners Shops Alight In Soweto / Dutch Closes Prisons For Lack Of Criminals / Mc Cain, Closes Up, New Fox Poll To Poll Shows 47:44; Obama Lead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Go Down)

Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by abbakacici: 8:31am On Feb 14, 2013
Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops.

**this area was transformed into a beehive of commerce by the Nigerian traders. when we came to this place it was virtually empty.
**I pay VAT, IRS and other taxes. everything and yet they closed my shop.

Ghanaian authorities have renewed the siege against foreign traders, as the Ministry of Trade and Industry, at the weekend clamped down over 40 shops belonging to Nigerians.
The shops located at Akanshie, about 200 meters away from the Mokola International Market were occupied by Nigerians, who traded in bicycle spare parts and other accessories.

According to one of the affected traders, Mr. Damien Uduba, their shops were stormed by some officials of the Ministry of Trade and Industry, who compelled them to pack their goods and thereafter had the shops under lock and key. The officials were reported to have secured the shops with their own padlocks, thereby making them inaccessible to the owners.

Business in the usually busy area has almost grinded to a halt, as only a few shops said to be owned by Ghanaians are open.
“Official of the Ministry of Trade and Ministry of Ghana came yesterday and asked us to close and pack our things. And afterwards, they locked up all the shops and asked us to go out of their markets. In fact we are all troubled, we started packing our things inside the shops, and they locked everything inside and took the keys away,” Uduba revealed.
A written notice pasted on the doors of the sealed shops titled “Notice to Non-Ghanaians engaging in retail business,” instructed them to regularize their businesses before they would be allowed to continue doing business.
A ruffled Uduba insisted that he had done all that was required by the Ghanaian law to do business in the country, “If you see in my hands, I have all the documents, we are obliged to obtain. This is the document from the Ghanaian government authorizing me to commence business in the country.

“You can see another document. This is my Resident Permit, allowing me to reside in the country. In fact I have all the documents. I pay VAT, IRS and other taxes. I pay everything and yet they closed my shop. They said I should move out of the market. I should pack all my things and go back to Nigeria,” he said.

Another affected trader, Mr. Prince Uzokwu, who also recounted his ordeal at the ministry, said he was told that he would only be allowed into his shop to pack his goods out of the place. He was not allowed to continue trading in the area.

Uzokwu recollected that the area was transformed into a beehive of commerce by the Nigerian traders stating, “When we came to this place it was virtually empty, but you know Nigerians. I came and I brought somebody and that person brought another and within a period of time, the place blossomed into a market.
“So if I go to the bush or a village to establish again, maybe tomorrow, the place will also turn into a market and they will come and expel us again. So we don’t know what to do about it. We are losing business and we have families to fend for,” he blustered.
Uduba added that the conciliatory moves by ECOWAS Parliament that brought them some respite may have been disregarded by the Ghanaian authorities.

Mr. Joseph Obeng, the National Organizer of Ghana Union of Traders Association (GUTA) insisted that there was nothing like concession. The laws of the country must be implemented to the letter. In so far as their law had reserved retail business for Ghanaians alone it must be respected.

Oteng also reasoned that Ghana cannot forgo her laws when her nationals in other ECOWAS countries were subject to domicile laws.
The President of the Nigerian Union of Traders Association in Ghana (NUTAG), Deacon John Igwe Ukala, who expressed surprise at the latest intimidation of Nigerian traders, explained that he was unaware of any default on the part of their members that could have prompted the action taken by the Ghanaian authorities.

“I always tell our members to be law abiding and do as the law of Ghana says. Don’t misbehave here, pay your tax, pay your VAT, and get your Resident Permit. To my greatest surprise, when I heard this news yesterday we were really shocked. I cannot understand the cause of this, because I know our members have complied with their laws,” he posited. - daily trust.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news-news/50528-ghana-re-opens-old-wound-closes-40-nigerians-shops
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 14, 2013
First to comment again 3 times just today only, baba god thank u

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Troll: 1:02pm On Feb 14, 2013
[size=15pt]Oya!!! OPERATION GHANA "MAST" GO - SEASON 2 angry
[/size]

9 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by collins123(m): 1:03pm On Feb 14, 2013
[size=14pt]Na dose traders go suffer am now.

All the Nairaland Gaynian Bashings!
[/size]
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by delors(m): 1:04pm On Feb 14, 2013
Crazy Ghanians...they are just jealous and bent on victimizing Nigerians...they feel we will take over their economy soon...like we haven't already... undecided

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:05pm On Feb 14, 2013
Any Nigerian dat talk here is a fool.

Africans(Blacks) will forever be backward.

Not even in homeland are business encouraged due to tribalism.

Afterall, Fashola did exactly the same yesterday in Lagos to Igbo traders.sad

28 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 14, 2013
they do not want us to live and thrive in their country, neither do we want.
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Lateef9961(m): 1:08pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ghana again?
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by igbsam(m): 1:08pm On Feb 14, 2013
And the hatred continues....Whats with all this hate ? What genuine reason can they give to warrant all this from the Nigerian Neighbours. If Nigeria choose to treat their citizens living in Nigeria the same way, they would tag Nigeria as being super bad. This is getting out of hand.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 14, 2013
Perhaps Ghanaians are also tribalists like the Lagos governor lol... grin

That's the problem with Nigerians - you lot are allergic to running legit businesses with the right protocols... Yet you scream blue murder at everything...

Big ups to Ghanaians for ensuring sanity in their beloved country - Nigerians need to learn the hard way!!

10 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by tellwisdom: 1:09pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ghana is 40 ?? sad ...Happy independent ghana wink wink
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by kudiice(m): 1:10pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ghanians are getting too cocky bout their country, and are probably thinking they are superior to Nigeria. Why the sudden hate? What if Nigeria retaliates?

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by tomakint: 1:10pm On Feb 14, 2013
They (Ghanaians) have always see us as rivals but this is not so, we are their Masters ( I can never forget the 80s when they were puff-puff sellers, shoemakers, tailors (obioma) and the likes), wao, how time flies. Ghana n be yen embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Asis(m): 1:11pm On Feb 14, 2013
N here we go again..

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by honeypie143: 1:11pm On Feb 14, 2013
Abeg gayna na country abi one state if i arrange boys for ma area all doz stupid gayian puff puff seller don die be dat make dem dem Dey pay tax for hia make any gaynia tackle me for diz thread hin family go follow go stupid pple
Na dem no let curve 3 sell dem too black

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by strangest(m): 1:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
so what the f* is ECOWAS suppose to stand for..F* the unity...

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Any Nigerian dat talk here is a fool.

Afterall, Fashola did exactly the same yesterday in Lagos to Igbo traders.sad

Tell your people to pay their taxes no matter where they find themselves.If fashola hates ibos for not paying tax and the ghanians also hate them for tax evasion,it simply means ibos are interested in making money for their pockets and not remitting to the government.

This just punctured the idea that ibos are the driving force of Nigeria economy since they don't remit a dime to the goverment.

21 Likes

I advise all Nigerians living in Ghana not to be intimidated, if they say Retail business is meant for Ghanians alone, it there fore means you have naturally been promoted to Importer and Wholesaler, find money and start importing, if they raise price of import duty and custom taxes, mark-up the price and sell to their citizens, invade that country and dominate them, take their women, hire their citizens as your gatemen and shoe shiners. This is the Nigerian spirit. Ghana is Nigeria's Colony, for ever and ever. Amen.

71 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by scobaba: 1:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
Its now "Nigeria-must-go". Smh. I sorry for us.

1 Like

How much is garri in your area?
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Akshow: 1:14pm On Feb 14, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Any Nigerian dat talk here is a fool.

Afterall, Fashola did exactly the same yesterday in Lagos to Igbo traders.
sad
oh puhleeeze jus Shut it. So Its only Igbo traders that are daily being affected by Fashola's reforms? Silly bigot why dint you cry foul when a governor in the east sack all non Igbos from the state ministry? Always claimin to be the victim when they are even worse.

25 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Newcrescent(m): 1:15pm On Feb 14, 2013
Our Govt has to rise up to this occasion and put a stop to all this bullshit. We have to stop our gas supplies to this people and make them feel it.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 14, 2013
I never wanted to visit Ghana, but I am now empowered to go to that country and invade them. I will surely go and dominate them. If they increase tax, we will increase price of consumer goods and services. We will take their best women and lord over their men. God is a Nigerian.

5 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by honeypie143: 1:19pm On Feb 14, 2013
Akshow: oh puhleeeze jus Shut it. So Its only Igbo traders that are daily being affected by Fashola's reforms? Silly bigot why dint you cry foul when a governor in the east sack all non Igbos from the state ministry? Always claimin to be the victim when they are even worse.

Bros long time make we finish her 2geda? tongue

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by HonLord: 1:21pm On Feb 14, 2013
Something must have led to this action. It cannot be in vain to start bashing or victimizing Nigerians over nothing.

Can someone tell us the real problem - Is it that Nigerians are not supposed to do retail business but Whole sale while they are doing both? or that the Ghanian government decided to trickishly push them out seeing that they have established a market for them and want to take-over the place for same kind of business? - I cannot just read this and conclude because certain laws might be ignored for a long time but when a new administrator comes into power/office, might decide to implement all no matter how people may feel about it.

Oga association, liase with Ghana authorities to know the real problem before voicing-out surprises - Ka chineke nu eziokwu (according to Zebrudaya)!

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Ishilove: 1:22pm On Feb 14, 2013
This is unfriendly and against the spirit of ECOWAS and Regional Integration. The Federal govt should not keep quiet but pursue the matter to logical end. Let's redefine our foreign policy to reflect our collective aspirations as Nigerians. Enough of this humiliation!

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Ebestsmscom: 1:24pm On Feb 14, 2013
Billyonaire: I advise all Nigerians living in Ghana not to be intimidated, if they say Retail business is meant for Ghanians alone, it there fore means you have naturally been promoted to Importer and Wholesaler, find money and start importing, if they raise price of import duty and custom taxes, mark-up the price and sell to their citizens, invade that country and dominate them, take their women, hire their citizens as your gatemen and shoe shiners. This is the Nigerian spirit. Ghana is Nigeria's Colony, for ever and ever. Amen.

Seconded.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 14, 2013
Billyonaire: I never wanted to visit Ghana, but I am now empowered to go to that country and invade them. I will surely go and dominate them. If they increase tax, we will increase price of consumer goods and services. We will take their best women and lord over their men. God is a Nigerian.
after your usual ranting,i hope you will go! no be to come nairaland come make noise! grin

4 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Adamskuty(m): 1:25pm On Feb 14, 2013
Bravo! Now is time for us to hit back, they are many black,dirty,hungry ghanaian slaves here in my neighbourhood, i think the govt, need to flush them back to their waste land,cos seeing them alone makes me wanna vomit! Ewwwww! One thing about this jealous bush apes is that they just can't watch us take over their market, well! They are too blind to see that the nigerians traders there are helping their economy to grow! Well! This should be the beging of their downfall, pls let them come home and invest, we need investors.
Those shitty apes will suffer,seriously they will feel the pain when we start,we will crush that good for notting juju land to dust. R.I.P ghana/gaynian

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 14, 2013
berem: after your usual ranting,i hope you will go! no be to come nairaland come make noise! grin
I surely will go, been receiving invitation to come invest in that Colony for a couple of years now, last invitation was 3 weeks ago.
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by lumeneng22: 1:27pm On Feb 14, 2013
Troll: [size=15pt]Oya!!! OPERATION GHANA "MAST" GO - SEASON 2 angry
[/size]
.Do me i do you GOD no de vex. Na nigeria must to go this time.
Re: Ghana Closes 40 Nigerians’ Shops by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 14, 2013
angry angryThe day i will set my eyes on any Gaynian selling puff puff and bread,im own don finish!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

North Korea Recognises Breakaway Of Russia's Proxies In East Ukraine / Shooting At Fields Mall, Copenhagen. Casualties Recorded, One Suspect Arrested / Mike Pence Disinvited From Wisconsin Lutheran Commencement Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.