Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? (28580 Views)

How To Combat Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) / Picture Of Aninfection Caused By Tatoo / “goldie Died Of Pulmonary Embolism” – Hospital Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by juman(m): 7:44pm On Feb 15, 2013
mastercee: RIP GOLDIE! The True Cause Of Her Death

The cause of death has been found, Susan "Goldie" Harvey died last night, February 14th, 2013 at the Reddington Hospital in Victoria Island, Lagos Nigeria from Pulmonary Embolism (cold). 

After confirming from her best friend, Denrele Edun, yesterday that the singer, Goldie  passed away right there in his sight at the Reddington Hospital at about 9:37 pm late last night, (valentines day) February 14th, 2013, the news became a wild fire. Many refused it and called it a rumour(as well as I), some were too busy in the arms of their loved ones (in my case, my bed), but this morning, we all woke up to the reality, that sensational R n B singer, Susan Oluwabimpe "Goldie" Harvey is dead! She only just arrived into the country yesterday evening from the United States of America and a few minutes later, she collapsed and stopped breathing, she was rushed to the hospital, but there was nothing the doctors could do as she was already dead. The hospital did not kill Goldie as some tabloids say, she died from a cause of death called "Pulmonary Embolism"
May Her Gentle Soul RIP

Hmm, professor Olikoye Ransome-Kuti also died of the Pulmonary Embolism as it was reported that time.
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by kinguwem: 8:03pm On Feb 15, 2013
lawanson44: [b]Some folks here in Nigeria are blaming doctors for incompetency and other bladadash...Goldie's death was inevitable and there was nothing that the doctors would have done to save her even if it was in America. Goldie died of a medical case called Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT. It usually occurs when there is a blood clot in the deep vein. That is why it is very important not to sit down for too long in a place without stretching and moving about esp in long-distance travels by air.

Most deep vein blood clots occur in the lower leg or thigh. They also can occur in other parts of the body. It can happen to anyone though it is more common in the aged. I guess Goldie was unlucky.

A blood clot in a deep vein can break off and travel through the bloodstream. The loose clot is called an embolus (EM-bo-lus). It can travel to an artery in the lungs and block blood flow. This condition is called pulmonary embolism or PE.

PE is a very serious condition. It can damage the lungs and other organs in the body and cause death.

Blood clots in the thighs are more likely to break off and cause PE than blood clots in the lower legs or other parts of the body. Blood clots also can form in veins closer to the skin's surface. However, these clots won't break off and cause PE.

You can watch an animation of how this happens on http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dvt/[/b]
It is presumptive for a doctor to annouce that the cause of death was pulmonary embolism without an autopsy. Apart from prolonged sitting in the long distance flight there are other risk factors for the development of deep venous thrombosis/pulmonary embolism like pregnancy, cancer, an hereditary blood clotting disorder, obesity, a family history of DVT, a history of smoking or use of contraceptive pills or hormone replacement therapy.
It is unprofessional to release the cause of death to the public before a detailed case history is obtained, post mortem examination & investigations concluded.

1 Like

Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by richiex(m): 8:45pm On Feb 15, 2013
If she flew first class, would she still have suffered from pvt? Anyways, rip dearie....
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by GamblinQueen: 10:06pm On Feb 15, 2013
stonebridge: Embolism is a blood clot that forms in any part of the body and travels anywhere in the body. If it travels to the brain undetected, it may cause seizure,stroke or instant death. Her one was pulmonary meaning that the clot lodged into her lungs and caused the damage. Sometimes the clot is more than one and they can only find out if they perform autopsy. That was what happened to Hilary Clinton late last year and that disease has been linked to flying for a prolonged period. Women are more susceptible to blood clot when they sit on a plane for a period of 6 hours or more.

As someone who has had at least six episodes of pulmonary embolisms and one episode of Deep Vein Thrombosis, my heart goes out to this young woman and her loved ones.
If there are going to be any prolonged travel it is advised to walk around every 2 hours and wear T.E.D. hose.
I've been blessed by GOD to be able to tell my story. GOD enabled me to walk into the emergency room and get diagnosed.
The scary part is when a P.E. occurs most of the time they are misdiagnosed because the symptoms are not always as one would expect.
I could go on about this terrible ailment but know that it is through DIVINE intervention to survive.
I thank GOD ALMIGHTY for having the right people, at the right place, at the right time for me.
Thank YOU LORD in JESUS' name.

1 Like

Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by GamblinQueen: 10:35pm On Feb 15, 2013
richie-x:
If she flew first class, would she still have suffered from pvt? Anyways, rip dearie....
Yes it is still possible.
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by TheBeam(m): 11:18pm On Feb 15, 2013
Good Girl:
So you think because Nigerians resort to "juju" to solve all their problems (like eliminating their "enemies" ), every other person does the same? You have no idea how unintelligent you sound. Prezzo was separated from his wife and they have both moved on since.
You get a flat tire - it's a witch in your village that is responsible
You fail your exams - it's a witch in your village that's responsible
You get yourself into bad relationships that won't last - it's a witch in your village that's responsible
You get your purse stolen - it's a witch in your village that's responsible
Tch! angry

Good girl: much as I identify with ur viewpoint on the annoying habit of some people to deflect responsibility rather preferring superstition, it is ABSOLUTELY WRONG for you to say "Nigerians resort to juju"!
Yes, some might, but as long as it hasn't been proven publicly dat Nigerians all do this, I think the wise option'd be to keep YOUR opinion direct at the particular people u want to address and NOT GENERALIZE..
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by MadCow1: 11:29pm On Feb 15, 2013
richie-x:

My boss always flew first class... At least I always got the invoice for his tickets. That SHIIT is so scary that I have made it a point of duty on all long distance flights to walk around that aircraft every 1 hour. I learnt from his case that that altitude pressure coupled with the sitting tends to affect circulation of blood quite badly.

Luckily for my boss, he had good local doctors that were able to stabilise him just long enough for us to prep a medevac for him.

My advice to all long distance flyers is always walk around and stretch your legs every hour at least on the flight. This phenomenon is a real secret killer. The first doctors that responded to him we're busy treating him for pneumonia..
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by preselect(m): 12:32am On Feb 16, 2013
Gamblin Queen :

As someone who has had at least six episodes of pulmonary embolisms and one episode of Deep Vein Thrombosis, my heart goes out to this young woman and her loved ones.
If there are going to be any prolonged travel it is advised to walk around every 2 hours and wear T.E.D. hose.
I've been blessed by GOD to be able to tell my story. GOD enabled me to walk into the emergency room and get diagnosed.
The scary part is when a P.E. occurs most of the time they are misdiagnosed because the symptoms are not always as one would expect.
I could go on about this terrible ailment but know that it is through DIVINE intervention to survive.
I thank GOD ALMIGHTY for having the right people, at the right place, at the right time for me.
Thank YOU LORD in JESUS' name.
6 episodes of PE?
UBLANKATASHA!!!!! shocked shocked
You're a walking miracle. A cat with 9 lives. My instincts tell me your statement is inaccurate but I have no credible rationale to doubt you.
Ebelebe Igba!!!!

Whoever you worship, keep doing it.
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by biolabee(m): 3:39am On Feb 16, 2013
pres-elect:

6 episodes of PE?
UBLANKATASHA!!!!! shocked shocked
You're a walking miracle. A cat with 9 lives. My instincts tell me your statement is inaccurate but I have no credible rationale to doubt you.
Ebelebe Igba!!!!

Whoever you worship, keep doing it.

guru maharaj!!!
e do u sef abi?
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by Attention(f): 3:25pm On Feb 16, 2013
All these our politicians wey dey theif our money travel, this PE no dey see them?
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 16, 2013
jennykadry: Australia is like the "end of the world "so when I am travelling down to Nigeria I go prepared. I have seen some blacks wear expensive heels on air just to prove what in Nigeria?

I don't sit for long, I wear TED STOCKINGS sometimes, I take my snickers off and walk bare feet.

[size=13pt]Same here. I don't need to look cute on a plane. Usually I travel in sweatpants or jogging pants with slip on shoes. I carry change-over clothes in my carry-on and change once I arrive. I take flights seriously o. No way I'll sit cramped in there for hours, trying to look cute lol.[/size]
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by ibietela2(m): 11:06am On Feb 17, 2013
Missy_B: Stop insinuating, y'all! The cause of her death is yet to be revealed by the qualified person(s) to whom the task is assigned.

https://www.nairaland.com/1196415/goldie-dead

I BLAME Y0U.... Backward Moderator
Re: Was Goldie's Death Caused By A Pulmonary Embolism? by AnanseK(m): 9:57am On Feb 18, 2013
To all young people especially those in celebrity bracket. Whatever you do don't take illicit drugs lipsrsealed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drug Addiction Reduces Hardworking Young Man Into A Scavenger / Yomi Onasile Dies In COVID-19 Isolation Centre In Ibadan / Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets In Port-Harcourt. See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.