Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,593 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

English: Isn't It Confusing And Complicated? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English: Isn't It Confusing And Complicated? (601 Views)

I Want To Study Abroad.., But It's All So Confusing / UNIZIK Isn't Admitting Students Into Medicine? / Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English: Isn't It Confusing And Complicated? by Jezreel1759(m): 4:44am On Feb 16, 2013
Nairaland Scholars please can you explain to me why student and english "talkers grin" use a definite article "AN" undecided with a word begining with "H"....?
In school then, we were told that "AN" is used with a word starting with any VOWEL lettter.. E.g
An Orange, An upset etc.
undecided
The point is people tends to use "AN" with a consonat, for example
I will be back in AN HOur....
Please i need an explanation!!! shocked

Re: English: Isn't It Confusing And Complicated? by SamMilla1(m): 5:18am On Feb 16, 2013
Concentrate on Math and Physics. English is just another man's language. Learn enough of it to communicate with others and move on.
Re: English: Isn't It Confusing And Complicated? by FXKing2012(m): 6:05am On Feb 16, 2013
Jezreel1759: Nairaland Scholars please can you explain to me why student and english "talkers grin" use a definite article "AN" undecided with a word begining with "H"....?
In school then, we were told that "AN" is used with a word starting with any VOWEL lettter.. E.g
An Orange, An upset etc.
undecided
The point is people tends to use "AN" with a consonat, for example
I will be back in AN HOur....
Please i need an explanation!!! shocked
You use 'an' before a vowel sound, e.g. an honest man, an honor, an hour, etc.Notice the 'h' is silent, the sound of those words start with 'o' which is a vowel.
Re: English: Isn't It Confusing And Complicated? by Jezreel1759(m): 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
FXKing2012:
You use 'an' before a vowel sound, e.g. an honest man, an honor, an hour, etc.Notice the 'h' is silent, the sound of those words start with 'o' which is a vowel.

Thnks..... What about the word "house" is "H" not silent enough to say "an house"?
Re: English: Isn't It Confusing And Complicated? by FXKing2012(m): 9:52pm On Feb 17, 2013
Jezreel1759:

Thnks..... What about the word "house" is "H" not silent enough to say "an house"?
The 'h' in 'house' is not silent.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Jamb / For All Prospective Student Of The Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State / Countries where The World’s Happiest People Live?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.