Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,369 members, 7,954,499 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:31 PM

Glut Of Female Babies - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Glut Of Female Babies (564 Views)

Worse Times Ahead. Oil Glut Rages, No Market For Nigerian Crude . / Stolen Babies Reunited With Parents In Imo / See Photos Of Female Soldiers Set To Battle Islamist Militants ISIS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glut Of Female Babies by OluEmmaAss: 1:39pm On Feb 16, 2013
Out of about ten babies who I know were delivered last year, only one of them was a male. The same trend is set to repeat itself this year. This is in addition to the preponderance of females in Nigeria, which could be disconcerting when viewed through the lens of husband scarcity. In fact, I used to be less-than-happy with any woman who delivers a baby girl as she [the mother] is compounding an existing problem. What are the causes, effects and implication of this trend? Is it global?
Re: Glut Of Female Babies by OluEmmaAss: 6:53pm On Feb 16, 2013
Is this a recent epidemic?
Re: Glut Of Female Babies by dasparrow: 10:16pm On Feb 16, 2013
Olu-Emma & Ass.:
Out of about ten babies who I know were delivered last year, only one of them was a male. The same trend is set to repeat itself this year. This is in addition to the preponderance of females in Nigeria, which could be disconcerting when viewed through the lens of husband scarcity. In fact, I used to be less-than-happy with any woman who delivers a baby girl as she [the mother] is compounding an existing problem. What are the causes, effects and implication of this trend? Is it global?

From a biological and medical perspective, women do not determine the gender of a baby. This is 2013 and I expect that Nigerians with all the book they read and degrees they go earning from around the world should know this simple fact. A woman's egg contains only the X chromosome. A man's sperm contains the X and Y chromosome. During fertilization, if the man gives Y chromosome the baby will be a boy. If he gives X, the baby will be a girl. Stop blaming your women for all your short comings. You should ask the men why their sperms consist of mainly X chromosomes thereby causing them to impregnate their wives with mostly female babies. After all, a woman can only give a man that which he the man placed in her womb.

Moreover, just because those you know keep birthing girls does not mean that is the case around the country. When I came to Nigeria I noticed that there seems to be more males than females. Be it in the banks, on the streets, just about anywhere you go. Or are you people locking up your females in the home or something?

I also think that there is no husband scarcity in Nigeria. That is what the typical chauvinist Nigerian male will have the average gullible Nigerian woman believe. The truth is, many of the Nigerian males in Nigeria are not doing well. They are poor, unemployed or underemployed and cannot even provide for themselves much less raise a family. So, if there seems to be husband scarcity, it is because of poverty and not because enough Nigerian males are no longer being born. And even if there is a male scarcity in Nigeria, there are many other black men from around the world that the Nigerian woman can get married to so I don't see a problem here.
Re: Glut Of Female Babies by Mynd44: 8:00am On Feb 17, 2013
^^
Re: Glut Of Female Babies by gramci: 8:37am On Feb 17, 2013
^^
Re: Glut Of Female Babies by OluEmmaAss: 1:24pm On Feb 18, 2013
dasparrow:

From a biological and medical perspective, women do not determine the gender of a baby. This is 2013 and I expect that Nigerians with all the book they read and degrees they go earning from around the world should know this simple fact. A woman's egg contains only the X chromosome. A man's sperm contains the X and Y chromosome.
You are a conceited charlatan and u surely didn't understand my post.

(1) (Reply)

Strange-woman Marries Her Twin Sister's Killer / Some Popular Words Used On NL. Meaning? / 10 Terrible Famines In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.