Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,905 members, 7,952,652 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:16 PM

Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? (9511 Views)

8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries / Know Your Worth And Do Not Compromise It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by XwhY(m): 3:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
I wont. But it is easier said than done. #temptation
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by MidaxPhoenix(m): 3:04pm On Sep 30, 2013
In this part of the world,

You can't become rich or wealthy and still keep the ten commandment!

Like my people say!!

Keferi la fi n bi omo, igbagbo la fi nwo!!

We use obscure means to get the child and use God's way to bring him up!!
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 30, 2013
matogunjobi: We should stop kidding ourselves when it comes to Wealth.. it is not Spiritual, Philosophical or Social. If you have any iota of Self-Preservation depending on your level of comfort, you will compromise when it comes down to it.. many (especially Religious folks) have tried and failed woefully.. that is why the Bible says it is easier for a poor man to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven
All this "journal" for a "yes" or "no" answer?
Are you a politician?

@topic: NO I CAN'T!!

1 Like

Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by matogunjobi: 3:16pm On Sep 30, 2013
kaeyame:
All this "journal" for a "yes" or "no" answer?
Are you a politician?

@topic: NO I CAN'T!!

Not a Politician but a Realist.. if you look at your answer introspectively you will realize how inadequate and trivial it is compared to when you take the time to see the consequences of your words given the enormity of the question.. a simple answer is just pedestrian and a casual opinion.. it does not carry the weight of your convictions. apologies for the long explanation.. it was necessary
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
Okija_juju:

Take my name..

Gimme silver & Gold.
en take your name ke? Okija juju among all names?
Oh boy the bible says silver or gold have got none.................borrow bible finish the rest of the quotes cool
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Odionpete: 3:20pm On Sep 30, 2013
bolex: Your personality matters you know

Would you alter it for money ?

If you had a chance to steal from work , would you ?

If you was the manager of Barclays bank , would you do " extra things " to make money

Be sincere please , this is important
Honestly even though i am just a manager of micro finance bank i will never take what is not mine. Good name u known is better than many riches
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:21pm On Sep 30, 2013
smothly: en take your name ke? Okija juju among all names?
Oh boy the bible says silver or gold have got none........BUT IN THE NAME OF JESUS, RISE UP AND DANCE Skelewu......... borrow bible finish the rest of the quotes cool

Completed...

Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
By God's grace, no.. Another question in line with it; would u under declare ur age for any reason?
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by tawa89(f): 3:29pm On Sep 30, 2013
smothly: Some hypocrites will come online and form what they are not,my bible says a good name is better than silver or gold......... cool
please take my name. I will add my surname as Jara sef. How do i mail it to you?
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 30, 2013
tawa89: please take my name. I will add my surname as Jara sef. How do i mail it to you?
oMG undecided
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 30, 2013
tawa89: please take my name. I will add my surname as Jara sef. How do i mail it to you?
awwww not again undecided
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 30, 2013
Okija_juju:

Completed...

clap for yourself cheesy
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by SugaryBelle(f): 3:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
It took this thread 6 years to get here,hmm the patient dog...

1 Like

Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
In honest sincerity, I will not positively actually not refuse to take the money to be rich.

grin grin grin

Asking all the questionz.
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by kunlesehan(m): 3:47pm On Sep 30, 2013
alala dakosta: see wettin jim iyke cus now.

hahahaha
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by eightsin(m): 3:47pm On Sep 30, 2013
bolex: Your personality matters you know

Would you alter it for money ?

If you had a chance to steal from work , would you ?

If you was the manager of Barclays bank , would you do " extra things " to make money

Be sincere please , this is important

If i'm d manager of barclays bank...then i'm already rich...u shld b asking if i'd be greedy.
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Shalome(m): 3:49pm On Sep 30, 2013
Owu na bastard...if you wan chow cake na then you go know say oven dey
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Mikhaela: 3:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
ABSOLUTELY as long as it's certain that I wouldn't get caught ! For sure and I proudly admit it. I'll go back to my old personality once I have the money. The Government steals from me anyway so why not? But if there's a 0,01% chance of me getting caught then forget it. I'm too young to wear orange.
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 30, 2013
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Infomizer(m): 4:43pm On Sep 30, 2013
My take on the matter is summarized in this quote i once came across:
"All morality is negotiable"
The question now will be: how rich?

1 Like

Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by gbokukueba(m): 4:57pm On Sep 30, 2013
Personally i will never or ever compromised my character for material gain as it doesnt make sense... why rise your reputation as reputation lost can never be gained...
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by valony(m): 5:05pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hello!!!... I would sell my name 4 enough money to buy a new name and go under. I wouldn't compromise for peanuts... God punish poverty
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 30, 2013
matogunjobi:

Not a Politician but a Realist.. if you look at your answer introspectively you will realize how inadequate and trivial it is compared to when you take the time to see the consequences of your words given the enormity of the question.. a simple answer is just pedestrian and a casual opinion.. it does not carry the weight of your convictions. apologies for the long explanation.. it was necessary
If that is the way you see it, ok.
But to me its still an emphatic NO.
My reason is this: I have been "hand wired" from infancy to "know" that a good name is better than all the wealth in the world, I have grown up to see practical examples from my family esp my "old school" dad.
Plus, my bible speaks to me in prov 22:1 (google that) why I should still say NO!

Now if I ask you: "would you sleep with a pig for money?"
...I don't think your answer will be "explanatory"
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by bionicdude(m): 5:26pm On Sep 30, 2013
dis world a gud name is bshit if u ain't got money.
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Abbey2sam(m): 5:54pm On Sep 30, 2013
See people. Just dey yarn rubbish here o!!!
No I can't compromise.......
No I won't enjoy it peacefully
No my religion is against it....

Rubbisssshhhhh
Arrant nonsense

There's one thing I use to say, never say you can't do this or that except you find yourself in that situation.

1 Like

Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by badmeat(m): 6:07pm On Sep 30, 2013
Too late!I have already compromised,I am already RICH!grin
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by vivianc(f): 6:21pm On Sep 30, 2013
Yes!!!!! I like being truthful to myself, so a resounding yes!!!!!

This 'good girl' hasn't gotten me anywhere jare!

I once worked for a multi-million construction company, while my friends and colleagues were busy mapping out strategies on how to make extra cash, I was there being a good girl, sitting on a swivel chair, coffee on the table and pressing the computer. Even tho I was in a better position to make more money. Good girl ko! Good girl ni!

Now, my friends are big babes with their own cars and landed properties, i still dey dey beg for daily bread.
I know how many opportunities i have thrown away cos i was trying to protect a reputation. Nonsense!
If that opportunity ever comes again, if I no sell the oyibo, call me paschard!

I refuse to be the good girl that carries last any more.
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by supremebeing09: 7:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
Firstly, the question itself does not seem to be without its criticisms. How do you define the terms compromise, character and (being) rich? Obviously, there are many generic terms used to define the key words in your question. However, different terms always have different meanings to various people.

Going back to your question, simply speaking, there is always an element of compromise in everyday life. You couldn't be in two places at once. In terms of character and richness, it is arguable that the two may be unrelated. One's character may - or may not - necessarily lead to wealth, if you prefer, or poverty dependent on one's environment (When in Rome act like the Romans do). There are certain opportunities in life that may enable individuals find themselves in positions to seek or acquire wealth. However richness does not equate to wealth since they mean two different things entirely i.e. richness is tangible whereas wealth is intangible. However, all things considered, one's social background, education and life experience may provide such opportunities to acquire wealth. Nonetheless, this is not to imply that these factors exclusively lead to wealth. Consider the like of Roman Abramovich (never mind Bill Gates) who rose from abject poverty to become one of the richest men on the planet. We should also consider similar homegrown entrepreneurs with equally rags-to-riches tales also. I guess all I am saying is life is what you make (of) it.

Another issue to consider is ethics (or morals). Clearly, there are several cases to consider in terms of morals. Business cases, religious cases, political cases and economic cases alike similarly encounter ethical and unethical issues in their daily dealings. Depending on your area of expertise, there are given morals for different cases. One cannot assume that business issues and political issues are dealt with in the same manner. On the other hand, individuals (not organisations or political parties, etc) have a moral duty to do the right thing at all times (you should familiarise yourselves with philosophical concepts such as egotism, utilitarianism, consequentialism, etc). Unfortunately, that simply is not the case. If anything, organisations, politicians and religious bodies continue to find themselves committing several atrocities in the name of profitability, whatever it is politicians do, and religion respectively. Therefore, one can only act according to the environment one finds himself/herself. This is why, in terms of unethical business practices in most organisations, it is always difficult to assert who usually gets the blame - the organisation or the individual(s)? In most cases, the organisations are mostly to blame although organisations are simply made up of individuals. Surely, the "organisation" did not technically commit an unethical act, certain "individuals" must have done so. The organisations pay the fines and the individuals are rarely or never disciplined. Of course, these individuals would have made a tonne of money for the organisation. A fine in most cases is usually a drop in the ocean.

From a business point of view (which happens to be my field of expertise), I myself cannot say I would rather preserve my character in order to be rich. First of all, are organisations REALLY interested in individuals who would rather ignore prospective lucrative business opportunities for the sake of preserving one's character? Sorry mate. You do not belong here. Of course, as society begins to question organisational practices, several organisations have been seeking to address their ethical stance in the business world. However, it is not usually as easy as it seems when you consider the activities of several multinational corporations. If you were to consider running your own business, I guess it is up to you to make ethical (or unethical) decisions in order to remain profitable. How ethical do you deal with your clients/customers? How ethical are the services you provide? In what way do people interpret the services provided? How sustainable is your business? Is the sustainability based on ethical or unethical practices? Most of all, are you happy with the service provided and the benefits of your service to others and yourself? I guess others may look for profitability while others seek excellent customer service, reputation, business influence, power, etc. It simply depends on one's need and the means to achieving one's ends.

In sum, I simply do not see any relationship between one's religion and the question at hand (Well, you could also argue that religion does play a big part in people's lives - I choose to ignore the concept of religion and its influence in terms of the question). The answer(s) simply lies in one's objectives, one's environment (geography, social actors, politics, legal governance and resources, etc) and other personal factors such as one's personality (mostly), personal values, personal beliefs and to a lesser extent cultural values. I hope this addresses the question.

1 Like

Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
in as much i love money,am not obssessed by it
...No
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by desthan(m): 7:16pm On Sep 30, 2013
my dear, all is relative. . . .

i am a business man, and will do everything within the confine of good business governance to make more bread. I will cut corner/short-change/rip off any competitor so far it doesn't affect the business on the round table.

Nothing personal. . . . simply business
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Kalamaya: 7:17pm On Sep 30, 2013
Some people will swim in shit, if you put some few coins in it.
Re: Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? by Gbaba1: 8:26pm On Sep 30, 2013
moscobabs: which kind question bi dis......haaa Na rich sure pass ooo.I have compromised my character several time,I'm still compromising now and I will continue compromise once I'm still seeing mysef in Nigeria!!!

NAH U TALK TRUE,I go compromise

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi To Pay Workers Four Months Salary Arrears Next Week / What Are D Career In History And International Studies / Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.