Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Things You Should Never Say At Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things You Should Never Say At Work (21458 Views)

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. / 10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 17, 2013
Here are 13 phrases that should be banned from the office:

1) “It’s not fair.”

She got a raise, you didn’t. He was
recognized, you weren’t. “Some people have food to eat while others starve,” Price says. “Injustices happen on the job and in the world every day. Whether it’s a troubling issue at work or a serious problem for the planet, the point in avoiding this phrase is to be proactive about the issues versus complaining, or worse, passively whining.” Instead, document the facts, build a case, and present an intelligent argument to the person or group who can help you.

2) “That’s not my problem,” “That’s not my job,” or “I don’t get paid enough for this.”

If you asked someone for help, and the person replied with one of the above phrases, how would you feel? “As importantly, what would it say about him or her?” Price says. “Regardless of how inconvenient or inappropriate a request may be, it is likely important to the other person or they would not have asked. Therefore, as a contributing member of the team, a top priority is to care about the success of others (or at least act as though you do).”  An unconcerned, detached and self-serving attitude quickly limits career advancement.
“This doesn’t mean you have to say yes; it does mean you need to be articulate and thoughtful when saying no,” she adds. “For example, if your boss issues an unreasonable request, rather than saying, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me. I don’t get paid enough for this,’ instead say, ‘I’ll be glad to help. Given my current tasks of A, B, and C, which one of these shall I place on hold while I work on this new assignment?’ This clearly communicates teamwork and helpfulness, while reminding your boss of your current work load and the need to set realistic expectations.”

3) “I think…”

Which of these two statements sounds
more authoritative?: “I think our company might be a good partner for you.” Or, “I believe…” “I know…” or “I am confident that our company will be a good partner for you.”
“There is a slight difference in the wording, however the conviction communicated to your customer is profound,” she says. “You may have noticed, the first phrase contains two weak words, ‘think’ and ‘might.’ They risk making you sound unsure or insecure about the message. Conversely, the second sentence is assertive and certain. To convey a command of content and passion for your subject, substitute the word ‘think’ with ‘believe’ and replace ‘might’ with ‘will.’”

4) “No problem.”

When someone thanks you, the courteous and polite reply is, “You’re welcome.”
“The meaning implies that it was a pleasure for you to help the person, and that you receive their appreciation,” Price says. “Though the casual laid-back phrase, ‘no problem’ may intend to communicate this, it falls short. It actually negates the person’s appreciation and implies the situation could have been a problem under other circumstances.” In business and social situations, if you want to be perceived as well-mannered and considerate, respond to thank you’s with, “You’re welcome.”

5) “I’ll try.”

“Imagine it’s April 15th and you ask a friend to mail your tax returns before 5pm on his way to the post office,” Price says. “If he replies, ‘Okay, I’ll try,’ you’ll likely feel the need to mail them yourself.” Why? Because that phrase implies the possibility of failure.
“In your speech, especially with senior leaders, replace the word ‘try’ with the word and intention of ‘will.’ This seemingly small change speaks volumes,” she adds.

6)“He’s a jerk,” or “She’s lazy,” or “My job stinks,” or “I hate this company.”

Nothing tanks a career faster than name-calling, Price says. “Not only does it reveal juvenile school-yard immaturity, it’s language that is liable and fire-able.”
Avoid making unkind, judgmental statements that will inevitably reflect poorly on you. If you have a genuine complaint about someone or something, communicate the issue with tact, consideration and neutrality.

7) “But we’ve always done it that way.”

“The most effective leaders value innovation, creative thinking and problem solving skills in their employees,” Price says. In one fell swoop, this phrase reveals you are the opposite: stuck in the past, inflexible, and closed-minded. “Instead say, ‘Wow, that’s an interesting idea. How would that work?’ Or, ‘That’s a different approach. Let’s discuss the pros and cons.’”

cool “That’s impossible” or “There’s nothing I can do.”

Really? Are you sure you’ve considered every single possible solution and the list is now exhausted? “When you make the mistake of saying these negative phrases, your words convey a pessimistic, passive, even hopeless outlook,” Price says. “This approach is seldom valued in the workplace. Employers notice, recognize and promote a can-do attitude. Despite the glum circumstances, communicate through your words what you can contribute to the situation.”
Instead, try something like, “I’ll be glad to check on it again,” “Let’s discuss what’s possible under these circumstances,” or, “What I can do is this.”

9) “You should have…” or “You could have…”

You probably wouldn’t be thrilled if someone said: “You should have told me about this sooner!” Or, “You could have tried a little harder.” “Chances are, these fault-finding words inflict feelings of blame and finger-pointing,” Price says. “Ideally, the workplace fosters equality, collaboration and teamwork. Instead of making someone feel guilty (even if they are), take a more productive non-judgmental approach.” Say, “Next time, to ensure proper planning, please bring this to my attention immediately.” Or, “In the future, I recommend…”

10) “You guys.”

Reserve the phrase “you guys” for friendly casual conversations and avoid using it in business. “Referring to a group of people as ‘you guys’ is not only inaccurate if women are present, it is slang and lowers your level of professionalism,” Price explains. With fellow professionals such as your boss, co-workers and clients, substitute “you guys” with terms such as “your organization” or “your team” or simply “you.”

11) “I may be wrong, but…” or “This may be a silly idea, but…”

These phrases are known as discounting, Price explains. They diminish the impact of what follows and reduce your credibility. “Remember that your spoken words reveal to the world how much value you place on yourself and your message. For this reason, eliminate any prefacing phrase that demeans the importance of who you are or lessens the significance of what you contribute.”
Don’t say, “This may be a silly idea, but I was thinking that maybe we might conduct the quarterly meeting online instead, okay?” Instead, assert your recommendation: “To reduce travel costs and increase time efficiency, I recommend we conduct the quarterly meeting online.”

12) “Don’t you think?” or “Okay?” 

These phrases are commonly known as hedging—seeking validation through the use of overly cautious or non-committal words, she says. “If you truly are seeking approval or looking for validation, these phrases may well apply. However, if your goal is to communicate a confident commanding message and persuade people to see it your way, instead of hedging make your statement or recommendation with certainty.”
Imagine an investment banker saying, “This is a good way to invest your money, don’t you think? I’ll proceed, if that’s okay with you.” Instead, you’d probably want to hear something like: “This strategy is a wise investment that provides long-term benefits. With your approval, I’ll wire the money by 5pm today.”

13 “I don’t have time for this right now,” or “I’m too busy.”

“Even if these statements are true, no one wants to feel less important than something or someone else,” Price says. To foster positive relations and convey empathy, say instead: I’d be happy to discuss this with you after my morning meetings. May I stop by your office around 1pm?”

These are common phrases that might be difficult to eliminate completely from your everyday conversations—but the trick is to gain awareness of the language you’re using. “As is often the case with bad habits, we are unconscious of the fact we’re saying career-limiting words and phrases,” Price says.

Here are a few tips to build self-awareness and eradicate the phrases from your conversations:

Record yourself.
. When you’re on the phone in a business setting, record your side of the conversation, she suggests. “Listen carefully to the recording afterward (on the way home from work). Did you use any of the phrases on this list, or any other words or phrases that may be perceived as limiting or negative? Write down the phrase you used, mark through it, and beside it construct an alternate phrase that more positively communicates your message.” Keep this list handy, by your phone or next to your computer monitor, and review it daily.

Enlist a buddy.
When you’re in meetings (and may not be able to record), ask a trusted co-worker to listen carefully to your language. “Ask them to write down any career-limiting words, phrases, actions or attitudes they perceive to be negative,” she says. “Treat them to lunch, check your ego at the door, and let them tell you what they heard.”

Listen for these phrases when others speak.
When you hear how jeopardizing these phrases actually sound when spoken by another, it sends a powerful message to your brain heightening your own self awareness. Price says you should ask yourself, “How could she have phrased that idea in a different way?” Or, “What words would have communicated his point more positively?”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/02/15/13-things-you-should-never-say-at-work

25 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by luvbeloved(m): 11:34am On Feb 18, 2013
Nice and very true
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Artistree: 11:35am On Feb 18, 2013
For once, Bluetooth has made my day...thanks anyways.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 18, 2013
Am guilty of the "you guys" phrase but I don't think my colleagues ever mind that.
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by yuzedo: 11:38am On Feb 18, 2013
It is true. I live in Banana Island so i should know! wink
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by idy15: 11:41am On Feb 18, 2013
THANKS NICE LESSONS LEARNT
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 11:43am On Feb 18, 2013
Did someone hack Bluetooth's account?

6 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by anitank(f): 11:43am On Feb 18, 2013
I use more than 6 out of those 13 phrases at work grin

Corrections taken
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by dridowu: 11:44am On Feb 18, 2013
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Morgan1092(m): 11:46am On Feb 18, 2013
Nice thread
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by pure123: 11:47am On Feb 18, 2013
part of it is WHAT THE Bleep...........?
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by valicious1(m): 11:47am On Feb 18, 2013
AM SELF-EMPLOYED SO I SAY WHATEVER I WANT TO WHOMEVER I WISH. cool

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Stegomiah: 11:49am On Feb 18, 2013
EZIOKU!
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Geomac: 11:50am On Feb 18, 2013
mdsocks: Am guilty of the "you guys" phrase but I don't think my colleagues ever mind that.

I am equally quilty of that phrase.
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by amtheone(m): 11:50am On Feb 18, 2013
Human beings are d most difficult specie to handle.

No amount of don't, they will always say them. After all, human beings are free moral agent and most time forget about d environment they are.

So it all about how an individual is disciplined to comport him/herself in/out of corporate setting.

But some people are just lousy
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 11:52am On Feb 18, 2013
So on point smiley (y)
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Morgan1092(m): 11:52am On Feb 18, 2013
valicious1: AM SELF-EMPLOYED SO I SAY WHATEVER I WANT TO WHOMEVER I WISH. cool
4ur plastic mind...

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 18, 2013
HNosegbe: Did someone hack Bluetooth's account?

I wonder o... Maybe he changed grin grin
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Beync(f): 11:56am On Feb 18, 2013
for the first time this niga is making non-tribal post

ehm not nice tongue grin

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Beync(f): 11:57am On Feb 18, 2013
HNosegbe: Did someone hack Bluetooth's account?
I thought i was the only one
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by OgidiOlu3(m): 11:57am On Feb 18, 2013
Simply put, don't talk at work lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 18, 2013
One of the few advice threads I agree with on NL
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Cosmopolice: 12:04pm On Feb 18, 2013
Valuable insight
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Cosmopolice: 12:05pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ogidi-Olu:
Simply put, don't talk at work lipsrsealed

U no serious.. Lol
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by kwaghe: 12:06pm On Feb 18, 2013
~Bluetooth:
Here are 13 phrases that should be banned from the office:

1) “It’s not fair.”

She got a raise, you didn’t. He was
recognized, you weren’t. “Some people have food to eat while others starve,” Price says. “Injustices happen on the job and in the world every day. Whether it’s a troubling issue at work or a serious problem for the planet, the point in avoiding this phrase is to be proactive about the issues versus complaining, or worse, passively whining.” Instead, document the facts, build a case, and present an intelligent argument to the person or group who can help you.

2) “That’s not my problem,” “That’s not my job,” or “I don’t get paid enough for this.”

If you asked someone for help, and the person replied with one of the above phrases, how would you feel? “As importantly, what would it say about him or her?” Price says. “Regardless of how inconvenient or inappropriate a request may be, it is likely important to the other person or they would not have asked. Therefore, as a contributing member of the team, a top priority is to care about the success of others (or at least act as though you do).”  An unconcerned, detached and self-serving attitude quickly limits career advancement.
“This doesn’t mean you have to say yes; it does mean you need to be articulate and thoughtful when saying no,” she adds. “For example, if your boss issues an unreasonable request, rather than saying, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me. I don’t get paid enough for this,’ instead say, ‘I’ll be glad to help. Given my current tasks of A, B, and C, which one of these shall I place on hold while I work on this new assignment?’ This clearly communicates teamwork and helpfulness, while reminding your boss of your current work load and the need to set realistic expectations.”

3) “I think…”

Which of these two statements sounds
more authoritative?: “I think our company might be a good partner for you.” Or, “I believe…” “I know…” or “I am confident that our company will be a good partner for you.”
“There is a slight difference in the wording, however the conviction communicated to your customer is profound,” she says. “You may have noticed, the first phrase contains two weak words, ‘think’ and ‘might.’ They risk making you sound unsure or insecure about the message. Conversely, the second sentence is assertive and certain. To convey a command of content and passion for your subject, substitute the word ‘think’ with ‘believe’ and replace ‘might’ with ‘will.’”

4) “No problem.”

When someone thanks you, the courteous and polite reply is, “You’re welcome.”
“The meaning implies that it was a pleasure for you to help the person, and that you receive their appreciation,” Price says. “Though the casual laid-back phrase, ‘no problem’ may intend to communicate this, it falls short. It actually negates the person’s appreciation and implies the situation could have been a problem under other circumstances.” In business and social situations, if you want to be perceived as well-mannered and considerate, respond to thank you’s with, “You’re welcome.”

5) “I’ll try.”

“Imagine it’s April 15th and you ask a friend to mail your tax returns before 5pm on his way to the post office,” Price says. “If he replies, ‘Okay, I’ll try,’ you’ll likely feel the need to mail them yourself.” Why? Because that phrase implies the possibility of failure.
“In your speech, especially with senior leaders, replace the word ‘try’ with the word and intention of ‘will.’ This seemingly small change speaks volumes,” she adds.

6)“He’s a jerk,” or “She’s lazy,” or “My job stinks,” or “I hate this company.”

Nothing tanks a career faster than name-calling, Price says. “Not only does it reveal juvenile school-yard immaturity, it’s language that is liable and fire-able.”
Avoid making unkind, judgmental statements that will inevitably reflect poorly on you. If you have a genuine complaint about someone or something, communicate the issue with tact, consideration and neutrality.

7) “But we’ve always done it that way.”

“The most effective leaders value innovation, creative thinking and problem solving skills in their employees,” Price says. In one fell swoop, this phrase reveals you are the opposite: stuck in the past, inflexible, and closed-minded. “Instead say, ‘Wow, that’s an interesting idea. How would that work?’ Or, ‘That’s a different approach. Let’s discuss the pros and cons.’”

cool “That’s impossible” or “There’s nothing I can do.”

Really? Are you sure you’ve considered every single possible solution and the list is now exhausted? “When you make the mistake of saying these negative phrases, your words convey a pessimistic, passive, even hopeless outlook,” Price says. “This approach is seldom valued in the workplace. Employers notice, recognize and promote a can-do attitude. Despite the glum circumstances, communicate through your words what you can contribute to the situation.”
Instead, try something like, “I’ll be glad to check on it again,” “Let’s discuss what’s possible under these circumstances,” or, “What I can do is this.”

9) “You should have…” or “You could have…”

You probably wouldn’t be thrilled if someone said: “You should have told me about this sooner!” Or, “You could have tried a little harder.” “Chances are, these fault-finding words inflict feelings of blame and finger-pointing,” Price says. “Ideally, the workplace fosters equality, collaboration and teamwork. Instead of making someone feel guilty (even if they are), take a more productive non-judgmental approach.” Say, “Next time, to ensure proper planning, please bring this to my attention immediately.” Or, “In the future, I recommend…”

10) “You guys.”

Reserve the phrase “you guys” for friendly casual conversations and avoid using it in business. “Referring to a group of people as ‘you guys’ is not only inaccurate if women are present, it is slang and lowers your level of professionalism,” Price explains. With fellow professionals such as your boss, co-workers and clients, substitute “you guys” with terms such as “your organization” or “your team” or simply “you.”

11) “I may be wrong, but…” or “This may be a silly idea, but…”

These phrases are known as discounting, Price explains. They diminish the impact of what follows and reduce your credibility. “Remember that your spoken words reveal to the world how much value you place on yourself and your message. For this reason, eliminate any prefacing phrase that demeans the importance of who you are or lessens the significance of what you contribute.”
Don’t say, “This may be a silly idea, but I was thinking that maybe we might conduct the quarterly meeting online instead, okay?” Instead, assert your recommendation: “To reduce travel costs and increase time efficiency, I recommend we conduct the quarterly meeting online.”

12) “Don’t you think?” or “Okay?” 

These phrases are commonly known as hedging—seeking validation through the use of overly cautious or non-committal words, she says. “If you truly are seeking approval or looking for validation, these phrases may well apply. However, if your goal is to communicate a confident commanding message and persuade people to see it your way, instead of hedging make your statement or recommendation with certainty.”
Imagine an investment banker saying, “This is a good way to invest your money, don’t you think? I’ll proceed, if that’s okay with you.” Instead, you’d probably want to hear something like: “This strategy is a wise investment that provides long-term benefits. With your approval, I’ll wire the money by 5pm today.”

13 “I don’t have time for this right now,” or “I’m too busy.”

“Even if these statements are true, no one wants to feel less important than something or someone else,” Price says. To foster positive relations and convey empathy, say instead: I’d be happy to discuss this with you after my morning meetings. May I stop by your office around 1pm?”

These are common phrases that might be difficult to eliminate completely from your everyday conversations—but the trick is to gain awareness of the language you’re using. “As is often the case with bad habits, we are unconscious of the fact we’re saying career-limiting words and phrases,” Price says.

Here are a few tips to build self-awareness and eradicate the phrases from your conversations:

Record yourself.
. When you’re on the phone in a business setting, record your side of the conversation, she suggests. “Listen carefully to the recording afterward (on the way home from work). Did you use any of the phrases on this list, or any other words or phrases that may be perceived as limiting or negative? Write down the phrase you used, mark through it, and beside it construct an alternate phrase that more positively communicates your message.” Keep this list handy, by your phone or next to your computer monitor, and review it daily.

Enlist a buddy.
When you’re in meetings (and may not be able to record), ask a trusted co-worker to listen carefully to your language. “Ask them to write down any career-limiting words, phrases, actions or attitudes they perceive to be negative,” she says. “Treat them to lunch, check your ego at the door, and let them tell you what they heard.”

Listen for these phrases when others speak.
When you hear how jeopardizing these phrases actually sound when spoken by another, it sends a powerful message to your brain heightening your own self awareness. Price says you should ask yourself, “How could she have phrased that idea in a different way?” Or, “What words would have communicated his point more positively?”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/02/15/13-things-you-should-never-say-at-work
If I don't make use of these phrases, I will be silent all day at the office.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Nobody: 12:07pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ur records still stands@bluetooth

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by olu4life(m): 12:07pm On Feb 18, 2013
Presently using most of those words/phrases. But dont agree with some cos some of this bosses are cruel. And ur polite response may look like u can be trampened on.
Anyways that's my opinion
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by Sijo01(f): 12:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
I will try not to...
Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by ndgfx(m): 12:11pm On Feb 18, 2013
Dondav: Everyone should go mute completely if these words are abomination at work...
They aren't an abomination at work....it's more like an issue of curtsy and good work ethics to foster healthy working environment.
Which i think is bullocks because everyone is trying to take a dump on me, why the frackers should i be nice to them?

valicious1: AM SELF-EMPLOYED SO I SAY WHATEVER I WANT TO WHOMEVER I WISH. cool
Which is cool because you get to determine your own working terms and environment. At the coy i run, we like to kip it casual, expressive and we toss around curse words a lot. Not because we mean them but for some strange reason it brings us together as a tightly knit unit of creatives and let's us verbally ease out the tension and frustrations....which i'd never be able to do if i were to be in, say, a bank where a high level of discipline is required.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say At Work by valicious1(m): 12:11pm On Feb 18, 2013
Morgan1092: 4ur plastic mind...
Comming from someone who doesn't use his mind.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

222 Federal Directors Fail Permsecs Exams / What Prominent Achievement Did You Make In 2016? Share With Us / NAF Graduates Another Set Of Student Pilots From 401 FTS, Trains 145 In 5 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.