Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. (18203 Views)

Zenith Bank Sacks 1,200 Employees - Premium Times / 10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss. / Things You Should Never Say At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by rodeo0070(m): 1:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
It’s one thing to put your foot in your mouth. It’s something else to do it at the office. As they say, some things are better left unsaid and this is especially true of your employees. Although it’s easy to get caught up in the moment and forget you’re the boss, it’s essential to maintain a level of professionalism at all times.

Personal opinions of employees and their lifestyle choices should never be discussed in public (if at all). Disciplinary action and shortcomings should also remain private. On that same note, employees should refrain from badmouthing you and your ideas. Here are 10 things never to say to your employees.

10) “It looks like you’ve gained some weight lately.” – Even if it’s true, this comment is nothing but rude. It is equally bad form to offer dieting tips and low-cal recipes with someone that hasn’t shared their weight loss journey with you. (Ditto other comments about weight, height, hair color, or just about anything about your staffer’s appearance.)

9) “You want to get a bite to eat after work?” – Fraternizing with your employees after working hours may seem like a good idea at the moment, but it often turns into something quite different, making it tough to differentiate between a buddy and an employee.

cool “That’s okay. I’ll let it slide just this once.” – Comments like these give your employees the impression that you are lax in your management and disciplinary methods. The last thing that you want them to think is that you’re a pushover.

7) “It’s not a problem until you make it a problem.” - Similarly, you don’t want to come across as a tyrant. You should care about your employees and their personal issues as long as you don’t meddle.

6) “No one is going to believe you over me.”
- Harassment cases do stand up in court. Do not press your luck by making such a naive statement.

5) “Isn’t your review coming up soon?”
- Passive-aggressive statements like these do more harm than good. If you want to encourage an employee to be their best, find other ways to encourage it than vague threats.

4) “Don’t bother me right now. I’m updating my Facebook status.” – Social media networking is an important part of today’s business world. It should not, however, be an excuse for failing to communicate with an employee.

3) “You know you’re my favorite.” – Every employee should think that they are your favorite. But you can never confirm this out loud.

2) “Personal issues shouldn’t get in the way of your performance.” – As true as this statement is, it’s unrealistic. Everyone has his or her fair share of problems. Be sympathetic yet maintain expectations. Give employees some slack when times are tough and they’ll pay you back twofold.

1) “I don’t care about the way it makes you feel, just do your job!” - Employees that are praised on a regular basis are more likely to perform better. Care about your staff — and the way they feel — and they will work hard to do what you ask of them.

CULLED FROM: http://blog.intuit.com/employees/10-things-you-should-never-ever-say-to-your-employees/

5 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2013
Nigeria employees have no choice bro complain when you are ready to be fired

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by annexes: 2:10pm On Jul 30, 2013
I knew this will come up too.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
Yungwizzzy: Nigeria employees have no choice bro complain when you are ready to be fired
Tru man, but let us not frustrate our graduates!
OP spot on, I was expecting this btw. We should be more civilized and respectful. Respect is reciprocal.
By the time some of your employees wey u dey wicked go arrange area boys for u, na u go fear fear.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by momodub: 4:23pm On Aug 01, 2013
smiley
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2013
I told my boss #3 recently embarassed
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by kokoye(m): 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2013
“You know you’re my favorite.”

How about you say this to each and every employee during their performance reviews? grin

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by crystalballs: 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2013
cul
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by HabbyG(f): 4:34pm On Aug 01, 2013
Wat shld we say den?
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 01, 2013
Hmmm, this is Nigeria. Might not work.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by SORTER: 4:36pm On Aug 01, 2013
I DISAGREE WITH NUMBER 8....THAT STATEMENT SEEMS MORE OF GIVING THAT EMPLOYEE A SECOND CHANCE TO CHANGE FOR GOOD!
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by PStacks(m): 4:40pm On Aug 01, 2013
Do we even have Labour Laws in this country sef?
In a country where un-employment is so high the Employer is king jare..

A Boss can do anything and get away with it cos there's little or no job security and at the slightest provocation an employee trys to leave, there are a million un-employed willing to do d job, better than you and at a cheaper rate...

In this country, a Boss is Lord and Master.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by IAMBREEZY: 4:40pm On Aug 01, 2013
What's all this s.h!t about.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by switdil(f): 4:42pm On Aug 01, 2013
IF U ARE TIRED OF WORKING, JUST GO!!!
Em not animal, em need motivations.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by chinchek: 4:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
"Why are you just coming to work by this time"
.... *looks at wristwatch*
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by wendieposh: 4:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
Employers should never threaten employees with their jobs...keep them motivated especially when they love what they do and are very good at it.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
Sorry sir but I don't see anything wrong in saying any of those things. You have point on #10

In 2009 I was personally sued by one of our employee for related comment "emotional abuse and descrimination " She's from Europe and I jokingly told her that most European chicks I know ain't big cheesy lol I wonder what she would have done if I had used the word "fat"

Anyway she didn't get shiit.

It's always nice to be friendly with your employees but still business is business. Who wanna wake up in the morning with a sad because he'/she is going to see that duchebag of a boss again today?
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 01, 2013
annexes: I knew this will come up too.
Sissy hw do u know that?
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by AGgal(f): 4:49pm On Aug 01, 2013
My boss needs to work on 1 n 10. D man is sumtin else,nobody ever does anytin right in his eyes.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 01, 2013
murimoney: mods wat is d meaning of dis?
wasting large space with stupid comments. angry
By quoting him, you are wasting more space. Smh
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by wendieposh: 4:49pm On Aug 01, 2013
Employers should never threaten employees with their jobs. They should be motivated especially when they're good at what they do and they enjoy it.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Dee60: 4:49pm On Aug 01, 2013
Nigerian banks are fond of breaking rule number 1.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by spreado(m): 5:06pm On Aug 01, 2013
na so d mata b
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Iceman296: 5:41pm On Aug 01, 2013
Tajsagay: my dear esteemed nairalanders, please oh, vote for me for the Etisalat Nigeria Geek-Force competition. na beg i dey beg una,biko, ejo (i don forget the hausa own x_x ) grin its a very mobile friendly site and within a minute, you are done!

Tajinere 408

http://polldaddy.com/poll/7290116/

Appreciate the favour. God continue to bless you all! Thanks a lot.
Voted, You will Win.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by riskit33: 5:42pm On Aug 01, 2013
Good composition OP. But all those things you said are valid only in oyibo land, no bi for naija abeg. D gramma too much sef.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by BabaEleko(m): 5:44pm On Aug 01, 2013
Booked
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. by Decryptor(m): 6:08pm On Aug 01, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
I told my boss #3 recently embarassed
They said what u should not say to your EMPLOYEE NOT EMPLOYER (BOSS)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Company Worker Arrested For Threatening To Kill Promoted Colleague, Children / Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! / NAAPE Shuts Down Bristow Helicopters Over Sack Of 13 Nigerian Pilots,10 Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.