Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,913 members, 7,952,676 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:57 PM

What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read (718 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Even Water Proves That Atheism Is False. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ooman(m): 9:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
What is an Atheist?

An atheist is a person who does not believe that any gods exist.

Why don't you believe in God?

There is simply no more evidence for Jehovah than there is for Zeus. Christians find no reason to believe that Zeus exists, so they do not believe in him. For the same reason, I do not believe in Jehova. God himself is more than welcome to share an honest conversation with me. Until he does, I have no reason to trust that anyone is a reliable spokesman for any god.

Don't you want to go to heaven?

I do not believe there is a heaven. But even if a real heaven did exist, and for some reason a god chose who went and who didn't, if that god is a good and noble being he will judge me for my value as a human being, and not for my belief in him.

How can you turn your back on true happiness?

I cannot imagine being happier than I have been already. I live a very fulfilling life, and am filled with an abiding love of being and thinking. I find love, reason and a practical, humble approach to life to be more than enough for me.

How can you trust sinful humans, ignoring all the good god does?

It offends me that an invisible god is given credit for every good thing that happens in the world, while every evil is blamed on humanity. There is much evil in the world that is not the fault of human beings, such as ignorance and disease and droughts, and most of the things that are good are entirely the product of human love, effort or genius, such as friendship and vaccines and even irrigation pipes.

Not all human beings are evil. We all possess great potential for good. Yet a god could do so much good in the world that is not being done, such as warning innocent children when to stay away from danger, or preventing too many people from being born, or turning all the weapons in the world into flowers. Surely a loving god would do these things, and more, just as any wise and compassionate human being would if they had the means.

And so, when a doctor saves someone's life, we truly owe our thanks to the doctor, and the society that made her education possible. It is insulting to both when a god is thanked for something that he could have done himself but didn't. If a loving god really existed, we would not need doctors in the first place.

If there is no god, then where do you think the universe came from?

I do not even know if the universe had a beginning, much less what may have started it. No one knows. Inventing a god to do the creating only leaves open the question of where that god came from.

So why be moral?

I dislike the kind of people who hurt me or lie to me or who are insincere or inconsiderate. Thus, if I were to be like such people, I could not escape disliking myself. I could never do something that would make me the sort of person I hate, because I could never be truly happy if I hated myself, no matter how hard I tried to rationalize what I have done. But this also means that to truly like myself, and thus to be truly happy, I must be the sort of person I really like, and I like people who are honest and principled and who care about others. So I strive to be like the sort of person I see to be good. I have also found that virtue earns stronger and fonder friendships, and secures the trust of my neighbors, and both of these things are essential to living a good, full life.

What do you think happens when you die?

I see that the brain is what gives me existence, and I depend on its health for my ability to think and survive. When the brain dies, I die, and when the brain ceases to exist, so do I. I do not find this to be sad. We all enjoy everything we experience, even when it doesn't last. I love life deeply, and as death would end my experience of living and loving I do not want to die. But I do not fear death, because there is no reason to fear the end of fear itself.

What about all the people who experience god?

There are people in the world who experience the essence of Buddha, who remember past lives, who truly feel the power of ritual magic in their lives, or who walk with the spirits of their ancestors. There are so many different experiences I do not think it is wise to arbitrarily assume that any one of them is truer than another.

I have looked all over the world, and I see Buddhists are mostly in Asia, Hindus mostly in India, Muslims mostly in the Middle East, and Christians mostly in the West. The idea of god, and all the assumptions of our respective religions, are taught to us as children. That Americans are mostly Christian is more likely the result of Christianity being taught there, and not the result of that religion actually being true or superior to any other.

Haven't Christian values done much good in the world?

I know that people have done much good in the world, whether they were Christians like Martin Luther King Jr., or Hindus like Gandhi, or atheists like Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Honesty and compassion are good values anywhere. They are not unique to Christianity.

So what do you believe in?

I believe in many things. I believe in the potential of humanity, in the power of reason, in the comfort of love, and in the value of truth. I also believe in the beauty and joy of human experience, and the nearly unlimited power of the human will to endure almost any hardship or solve almost any problem.

I believe that faith can mislead people into falsehood, and that we need reason and doubt as necessary checks against our capacity for error. I believe that we need to allow our fellow human beings to make choices for themselves and to live the life they wish to, in mutual peace and goodwill.

I believe that political negotiation and compromise -- fuelled by an honest measure of respect for different opinions, beliefs and lifestyles -- is the only way the world will find universal peace and goodwill, and that using the scientific method is the only way the world can arrive at an agreement on the truth about anything.

I believe that it is better to preach the gospel of "be good to your fellow man, and love each other as life itself," than to preach the gospel of "believe in our religion or be damned." For it is better to be good to each other and to build on what we all agree to be true, than to insist that we all think alike.

[size=14pt]This is why ATHEISTS ARE THE BEST PEOPLE TO EVER EXIST[/size]

We need humanity more than religion
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 18, 2013
When they die they will know if hell exist or not
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by poopli: 9:44pm On Feb 18, 2013
ayswags: When they die they will know if hell exist or not

but then it will be too late to know you have only wasted your time believing in fairy tales.
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 18, 2013
poopli:

but then it will be too late to know you have only wasted your time believing in fairy tales.
and how is it too late
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by Areaboy2(m): 10:12pm On Feb 18, 2013

Its kinda funny that you put all your hopes on something you are told with no evidence. Read the joke below and see how ridiculous the idea of a heaven is

"A man arrives at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks, "Religion?" The man says, "Methodist." St. Peter looks down his list, and says, "Go to room 24, but be very quiet as you pass room 8." Another man arrives at the gates of heaven. "Religion?"
"Baptist."
"Go to room 18, but be very quiet as you pass room 8." A third man arrives at the gates. "Religion?"
"Jewish."
"Go to room 11, but be very quiet as you pass room 8." The man says, "I can understand there being different rooms for different religions, but why must I be quiet when I pass room 8?" St. Peter tells him, "Well the Jehovah's Witnesses are in room 8, and they think they're the only ones here."

1 Like

Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
Area_boy:

Its kinda funny that you put all your hopes on something you are told with no evidence. Read the joke below and see how ridiculous the idea of a heaven is

"A man arrives at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks, "Religion?" The man says, "Methodist." St. Peter looks down his list, and says, "Go to room 24, but be very quiet as you pass room 8." Another man arrives at the gates of heaven. "Religion?"
"Baptist."
"Go to room 18, but be very quiet as you pass room 8." A third man arrives at the gates. "Religion?"
"Jewish."
"Go to room 11, but be very quiet as you pass room 8." The man says, "I can understand there being different rooms for different religions, but why must I be quiet when I pass room 8?" St. Peter tells him, "Well the Jehovah's Witnesses are in room 8, and they think they're the only ones here."
i laugh at ur ignorance oo so u mean some miracles dat happen are mere coicidence abi
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ayobase(m): 10:21pm On Feb 18, 2013
poopli:

It will be DISASTROUSLY too late for you....my chance is 50-50 and urs is 100-0!

I'm a better player buddy!

Go listen or read urself again, your post is based on assumption, no one SIMPLE fact!

Jesus Christ was around some years back, and he was seen going into heaven......abi u think sey Bible na AROKO!

"I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the father, except through me"

Human beings, we found it very hard to be under submission...always looking for reasons to justify acts!
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by Neddivine: 10:57pm On Feb 18, 2013
the poster is a hardened God hating,God rejecting satanist who has openly declared himself in so many threads and railed unimaginable grievous curses against the Most High God.Satanists make compulsory blood sacrifices,drink human blood to acquire satanic powers and donate human beings thru road accidents and other means to kingdoms of darkness.Now,how can such be THE BEST PEOPLE TO EVER EXIST.
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by Heatblast(m): 1:31am On Feb 19, 2013
^^^
I guess u didn't see this

What is an Atheist?

An atheist is a person who does not believe that any gods exist.
That includes satan okay!
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by Areaboy2(m): 12:00pm On Feb 19, 2013
ayswags: i laugh at ur ignorance oo so u mean some miracles dat happen are mere coicidence abi

I'll be happy for you to point at one credible "miracle" that happened.

we'll be better informed who the ignorant one is wink

ayobase:

It will be DISASTROUSLY too late for you....my chance is 50-50 and urs is 100-0!

Go listen or read urself again, your post is based on assumption, no one SIMPLE fact!

Jesus Christ was around some years back, and he was seen going into heaven......abi u think sey Bible na AROKO!

"I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the father, except through me"

Human beings, we found it very hard to be under submission...always looking for reasons to justify acts!

I'm sorry mate, I don't agree with you.

You base all your facts on a book that was written by human beings like you and me (albeit less educated than both of us) and yet you give them 100% credibility. Isn't that a slave mentality? Taking everything you are told hook line and sinker without question. What about thinking for yourself with your "god" given brain? no pun intended

You interpret the past with what you have today. You need to realize there was no tape recorder at that time, no xerox machine and everything was done on word of mouth. We both agree that word of mouth is hardly reliable.

Ever played Chinese whispers ? wink
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ooman(m): 12:22pm On Feb 19, 2013
Neddivine: the poster is a hardened God hating,God rejecting satanist who has openly declared himself in so many threads and railed unimaginable grievous curses against the Most High God.Satanists make compulsory blood sacrifices,drink human blood to acquire satanic powers and donate human beings thru road accidents and other means to kingdoms of darkness.Now,how can such be THE BEST PEOPLE TO EVER EXIST.

I AM NOT A SATANIST.

I AM ONLY FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHT OF PEOPLE TO BE SATANISTS.

There is nothing wrong with satanism. it is just a cult like the xtian or muslim cult, what i dont understand is why the illuminati, freemasons etc have to be secret when xtians and muslims are overt.

everyone has the right to worship whatever and whomever as long as they dont impose their religion into science and government.
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ooman(m): 12:24pm On Feb 19, 2013
ayobase:

whatever that means but if it means the bible is lying, then yes
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ooman(m): 12:24pm On Feb 19, 2013
ayswags: and how is it too late

you will not even have the consciousness to know whether its late or not. Death is the end of everything
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ogaga25(m): 10:36am On Mar 11, 2013
Area_boy:

"Baptist."
"Jewish."
lolsss,funny though,but the end will tell.
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ogaga25(m): 10:42am On Mar 11, 2013
ooman:

you will not even have the consciousness to know whether its late or not. Death is the end of everything
do u believe in re-incarnation?
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ooman(m): 10:45am On Mar 11, 2013
ogaga25: do u believe in re-incarnation?

WHY WOULD I BELIEVE IN SUCH A DUMB THINKING
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ooman(m): 10:45am On Mar 11, 2013
Double Post
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by manmustwac(m): 12:45pm On Mar 11, 2013
Why do our religious politicians loot as if there's no tomorrow if hell is real? Why do our God fearing police officers collect bribes & involve themselves in extra judical killings if hell is real? Why do some students involve themselves in cult activities killing members of other cults if hell is real? Trust me if they could introduce hanging for real for any of the above crimes (then trust me) nigerians will stop all the above mentioned crimes because they would fear hanging more than rotting in imaginary HELL! Don't you agree with me?
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ogaga25(m): 3:36pm On Mar 11, 2013
ooman:

WHY WOULD I BELIEVE IN SUCH A DUMB THINKING
u are just one of those that spend time on finding lame facts then go about looking for someone to argue with with them,ur beliefs are urs and that of others theirs,if u dont believe in God keep it to urself rather than calling others names for what they believe in,
Re: What Atheism Is Really All About: A Must Read by ogaga25(m): 3:39pm On Mar 11, 2013
manmustwac: Why do our religious politicians loot as if there's no tomorrow if hell is real? Why do our God fearing police officers collect bribes & involve themselves in extra judical killings if hell is real? Why do some students involve themselves in cult activities killing members of other cults if hell is real? Trust me if they could introduce hanging for real for any of the above crimes (then trust me) nigerians will stop all the above mentioned crimes because they would fear hanging more than rotting in imaginary HELL! Don't you agree with me?
it will change notin,right here in waarri ppo get burnt each day,does that stop ppo from stealing? The next day u still hear another news and so on.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Fullness Of God Dwelleth In Him Alone! / Popes First Angelus Address / Again, Mbaise Priests Defy Pope, Reject His Choice Of Bishop For Ahiara Diocese

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.