Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

I Am Really A Good Guy - Odemwingie - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Am Really A Good Guy - Odemwingie (547 Views)

Cynthia Uwak Goes Coverless To Show That She's Really A Female / Odemwingie Still Wants To Play For Nigeria / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Am Really A Good Guy - Odemwingie by Livermeka: 1:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
http://ng.supersport.mobi/football/nigeria/news/130220/I_am_really_a_good_guy_Odemwingie

I am really a good guy - Odemwingie
20 Feb 2013 11:59:22
Sammy Wejinya

Controversial Nigerian attacker, Peter Odemwingie has taken the time to make a case for himself in the face of growing criticism directed at him.

The 31-year-old was overlooked by Nigeria coach, Stephen Keshi for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa for reasons many believed to be unrelated to his abilities on the pitch.

He was subsequently frozen out of the West Bromwich Albion squad after he tried to force a move to Premier League’s bottom club, Queens Park Rangers.

The attacker reckons his many problems are not down to a "bad attitude" but his "transparency."

“When I give all my heart and effort to a team and get overlooked after, how could I possibly be happy ? Same in eagles. Same in WBA,” he explained via his verified Twitter account, @OdemwingieP on Monday.

The former Lokomotiv Moscow forward, then took the time to highlight the reasons he has come under the spotlight for the wrong reasons in recent days.

“Well praised and most criticised at the same time. Something is wrong somewhere. And I bet it's not in my attitude. I believe in transparency.

He then gave his thoughts on corruption in modern day sports.

“Too much corruption in sports these days. Because of few sportsmen who cheat now doping control went from urine to blood test.

Odemwingie who has 55 caps for Nigeria’s Super Eagles then discussed "indiscipline" in the national team.

“When eagles where moved from a decent hotel to a very average one. Coach said to me : few of the boys are indiscipline.

“In africa we want to be more organised and we use Europe as an example. Yet we listen to our grandfathers who r not exposed to latest.

“Stats in sports speak louder than beliefs,” he posted on Twitter.

Odemwingie famously fell out with former Nigeria coach, Samson Siasia and the WBA attacker tried to reveal the reasons for the impasse.

He revealed that his "commitment" to club duties was responsible for the misunderstanding.

“VERY little thing made me fall out with ex eagles coach Siasia, and that's club commitment. And that commitment was questioned after,” he noted

Odemwingie then took the time to hand some pieces of advice to members of the Nigerian team that won the 2013 Afcon in South Africa.

“What did that teach me ? You only a good guy and professional when you score and give your teams what they want. They throw us out after.

“Coaches, players etc. a coach the country is praising now will one day be sacked and to his achievements they'll say: only one cup? I beg.

He then took a swipe at Nigerian football administrators for "failing to treat former internationals right."

“It's time to change consciousness a bit in naija. Yekini (may his soul RIP) our legend died in poverty. The way our big men spraying now.

“Wish they looked after our heroes when old and in need the way they giving out now. Femi Okpabunmi lost his sight and struggling to feed now.

“The boy got medals and many caps for naija. T. West I heard not so comfortable and few other. Glo and Mtn please compete who give them more.

The striker who began his professional football education in Nigeria with Bendel Insurance in 2000 then accused Nigerian coaches of failure to select players on merit to the national teams.

“I now don't blame our coaches much when they accept gifts from players. Time is short. Our system has to be sorted. We moving too slow.

“One Russian man said : when you hear patriotism talks too much ? Somebody is eating a lot somewhere.

“Every state in naija that produced ex internationals should engage them to community services in form of teaching kids and youths. #pension,” he tweeted.

On how Nigerian sports could improve and achieve its full potentials, Odemwingie also voiced his sentiments.

“Every 20 km in our cities should have a basket ball court like in US. That's why they so good at it," he wrote.

Aliko Dangote, Tony Elumelu and a few other Nigerian philanthropists splashed financial rewards on the victorious Nigerian 2013 Afcon squad but Odemwingie was not impressed.

“Only if we win a tournament we realise football is soo important and our billionaires come out. They did well. We want more ! Haha,” he said.

He then revealed that he would be "doing something" to give back to the game that brought him so much fame and fortune when he eventually calls time on his career.

“I will come out with something after my carrier (career) is over and set up something. Few of my boys are learning now and preparing. This is no sweet talking. Never been my style and never will be. Me and Freddy Kanu already working on something for few months now,” he revealed.

© supersport.com

http://ng.supersport.mobi/football/nigeria/news/130220/I_am_really_a_good_guy_Odemwingie
Re: I Am Really A Good Guy - Odemwingie by opeoluwa2(f): 1:35pm On Feb 20, 2013
I'm always proud of you osaze.
You don't talk to please anyone,that is the real attribute of a REAL MAN.
Cowards will criticise you but never the less.stick to your beliefs and fight for the truth always.

(1) (Reply)

DANNY SHITTU: No Regrets Turning Down Nigeria's Afcon Trip / Super Eagles Legend N.KANU Defrauded N1.4bn / Football - Legendary Broadcaster Tony Gubba Dies At 69

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.