Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,004 members, 7,952,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:58 AM

Dad’s Advice Turns Out To Be Preaching - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dad’s Advice Turns Out To Be Preaching (573 Views)

I Stole From My Dad, So What? (A Short Story) and other short stories... / I Hate You Dad (part 1) / Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dad’s Advice Turns Out To Be Preaching by Iyandasdiary(m): 1:51am On Feb 22, 2013
My best friend, who happens to be my dad was always too concerned about looks, first impression and to him it was as if my elder brother and I were just so tiny and kind of skinny.

He knew we were not really the eating type so he encouraged us to eat a lot . He was very strict when we were growing up.I can imagine what it must have taken him to say what he said.

I remember vividly the first time I tried alcohol, my cousin, after stealing a bottle of Harp larger beer, from where , I can only imagine. Offers it to me. Funny isn’t it. He had the courage to steal but not to try the beer. Well we were caught and I got the beating of my life ( A near death experience if you ask me) I must have been 13….. or so.

10 years later, my dad came to pay us a visit in London and we took him out for dinner and a drink -as you would. Anyway sometime during the course of the evening dad starts to talk about our looks again, telling us we had to eat better and he summoned up the courage to tell us to take a bottle of beer once in a while that maybe it might help us to fatten up .

You could imagine the way I busted out laughing, I told him I was trying to stop drinking. He laughed and waved it off telling me that I do talk a lot and exaggerate . The waitress cames over to our table and we all ordered. With a glint in my eye I also ordered 3 bottles of big stout (that’s Guinness export to the uninitiated).

Food, drink and a convival atmosphere encouraged more talk. About 15 minutes later, I was ready to order another big stout which seriously surprised the old man. My brother being the designated driver stayed with water as I ordered a second round of drinks. The look of shock and horror on my father’s face was priceless.

Now I was taking the old man to “drinking school”. By now he was merry, only just half way through that second bottle. Gosh I couldn’t stop laughing, dad was a goner. What made me laugh even harder was I was already on bottle number 4. Laying seige to all my father’s opinions of me and my bro.

He was more than shocked and when I called for the 5th bottle, but this time he wouldn’t even let me to touch it. He started preaching how alcohol was a vice and that I was right maybe I should give it up totally.

We busted out laughing and that was when he actually understood the difference of their own school of thought compared to modern day time. Having said that, “there ain’t no school like the old school”.

Word!!

SOURCE : www.iyandasdiary.com

(1) (Reply)

Like The Dreams Of The Future Better That The History Of The Past / Breaking News Chinua Achebe Is Dead / Call For Submission For The Effigy Of Christ: An Anthology Of Christian Poems, S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.