Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,877 members, 7,817,584 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus (802 Views)

Do You Stand Up as a first timer in a new Church? / Pastor Enters Into Church On A Hoverboard (Photos) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus by free2ryhme: 6:19pm On Feb 22, 2013

By SaharaReporters, New York

A security operative in Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Kaduna State, has confirmed to SaharaReporters that Vice Chancellor Abdullahi Mustapha’s refusal to allow a Catholic Chapel at the Kongo Campus is creating tension between the Christian community and the management.

Discussions over the building of a new Church on Kongo campus has ongoing been on for years, and the Christian community in the university is accusing the management of favouritism on the grounds that there are several Mosques on the campus and that it has never denied the Muslim community permission to construct a new one.

The security operative said, “As it is now, there is tension because of the development and we have forwarded our security report to our superiors for prompt action.”

In a letter dated February 18, 2013, addressed to the Catholics and the Christian community, Professor Mustapha said, “there will be no more new Churches on the Kongo Campus”, and asked the Christian community to arrange to utilize the existing chapel.

The university is yet to respond to the issue in the media, but the Christian community is understood to have formally alerted the Kaduna State government and the security agencies of the latest developments

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/tension-abu-vice-chancellor-says-%E2%80%9Cno-new-church%E2%80%9D-kongo-campus
Re: Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus by Bolt2011(m): 8:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
Na today?
This is one of the several moves to marginalize christians in ABU. It is not news again, they are really determined to islamise the 'federal' institution.
They have mosques in every faculty, yet they are threatened when christians come together to fellowship.
Their counsel will not stand in Jesus Name
Re: Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus by MacDaddy01: 8:15pm On Feb 22, 2013
smiley

Why not? Afterall churches are limited in Saudi Arabia. Christians persectued in Iran and Egypt.
Re: Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus by hadbak: 8:44pm On Feb 22, 2013
Well, I wudnt know his reasons but yes its true there are already existing churcheS(for both catholics n the other types of churches) in Both campuses which is fair enough n I think its okay except they want to turn the school to church. N these churches are quite big. In addition, even lecture theatres are not spared on sundays in ABU campuses. As big as samaru campus is, its only ONE central mosque that exist,then praying grounds n I'm not sure if its in every faculty..that's understood bcus we all know the muslims prays 5times daily n of cus one need a secluded n nearby place to do that to save prayer time n lecture. If I must observe my noon prayers I don't have to travel as far as to the central mosque frm my faculty? I mean it wunt be fair plus time may be against me for my prayers n lectures..
Above all ABU is very fair on such issue as compared to other schools especially in the EAST n I bet u if the school sees d need to erect another church, they wunt deny them.. So there is no cause or need for tension, its an issue that can always be resolved..
Re: Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus by aurenflani: 11:41pm On Feb 22, 2013
Bolt2011: Na today?
This is one of the several moves to marginalize christians in ABU. It is not news again, they are really determined to islamise the 'federal' institution.
They have mosques in every faculty, yet they are threatened when christians come together to fellowship.
Their counsel will not stand in Jesus Name

How many Mosque are in UNN?
Re: Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus by kishimi8(m): 12:18am On Feb 23, 2013
ask him . the last time i was there there was only one spot with stones arranged like a mosque. and no one is complaining .. and furthermore there is no space in kongo campus
Re: Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus by jimino(m): 1:18am On Feb 23, 2013
will having more church reduce d quality of education in the university?
Re: Tension, As ABU Vice Chancellor Says “no New Church” On Kongo Campus by hadbak: 2:59am On Feb 23, 2013
^^ the questn shld be.. Did they come to ABU to own a degree n go or they came to build church? They shld concentrate with their studies more rather than this pls. Are there no churches outside the sch that student can attend? If the existing chapel n lecture hall no longer contain? .
Like in d case of d main campus, there's only A central mosque for friday service n TWO large churches plus lecture theatres for sunday services..Compare? Of which I'm not sure if there's a central mosque in d congo campus.
U have to see how d friday service is being conducted, student pray outside d mosque premises bcus the mosque isn't enuf to contain them n no one complain/ask d schl authorities for more space let alone ask to build a new mosque. Like I said, its an issue they cud settle expecially if there's need.

@aure- UNN? talk of ENUGU as a whole how many mosques r there?

(1) (Reply)

My Knowledge About True Love. / Trouser Wear By Christian Women Is Not A Sin / Watch Out For Satan's Agents Around You Right Now!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.