Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,773 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA (1048 Views)

The Sad Reality Is That The Empire Is Run By Mediocre, Rude, silly, Uneducated / View Very Sad Pictures From The Sandy Hook Killing Of 28 Children / French Authorities Removing African Immigrants (depressing Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by Olaone1: 8:13pm On Feb 23, 2013
Man inhumanity to man. Click on the link for pictures. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

I heard the bullwhips a-flying and awful cry of the slaves...they’d squirm in misery as maggots got in wounds

IT is a shocking, shameful chapter in America’s history which the nation has long struggled to face up to.

But at tomorrow night’s Oscars, TWO of the US movies nominated for Best Film turn the spotlight on slavery.

Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, starring British actor Daniel Day-Lewis, focuses on President Abraham Lincoln’s political fight to pass the 13th Amendment that abolished slavery in 1865.

Meanwhile Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained — with Leonardo DiCaprio as a ruthless cotton plantation owner and Jamie Foxx as a freed slave — is an uncompromising look at the cruelty of forced labour in the States, just before abolition.

In one violent scene a slave is ripped apart by a pack of dogs.

But even more horrific than such gruesome scenes in Tarantino’s film are the real-life stories of former slaves, filed and stored in America’s Library of Congress.

These documents, collected under the title Born In Slavery: Slave Narratives From The Federal Writer’s Projects, are records of over 2,300 interviews with ex-slaves, which took place between 1936 and 1938, and which are in their own words.

They reveal the living hell of slavery — the sadistic beatings, ritual humiliations and inhumane conditions.

Although it was 148 years ago that Lincoln declared emancipation, in Mississippi, slavery was only outlawed THIS WEEK. Due to an oversight, recently unearthed by two medics, the state had never technically abolished slavery.

Dr Ranjan Batra, professor of Neurobiology and Anatomical sciences at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, looked into the history of the 13th Amendment in his state after seeing Lincoln. He found that Mississippi had never submitted the proper documentation to ratify the Amendment. So he and colleague Ken Sullivan, lobbied for the correct papers to be filed.

Dr Batra said: “For me, it was important that this part of history was done from our state. We have some dark spots in our history through the South, it still affects people’s opinions about Mississippi today.”

Before emancipation, in the South, black men, women and children were owned body and soul by the plantation owners.

Their tales, recorded in the Born In Slavery files, were used by actress Kerry Washington to research her role of Broomhilda in Django Unchained.

In one account, former slave Sallie Crane revealed: “I been whipped from sun up till sundown. Off and on, you know. They whip me till they got tired and they go and rest and come out and start again.

“They kept a bowl filled with vinegar and salt and pepper nearby, and when they had whipped me till the blood come, they would sponge the cuts with this stuff so that they would hurt more.

“They would whip me with the cowhide part of the time and with birch sprouts the other part. There were splinters long as my finger left in my back.”

Other accounts detail how the overseers and plantation owners drove the slaves to work 18-hour days with hardly any food or rest and punished them if they faltered.

Not even pregnant women were exempt from the cruelty of the overseers.

“They used to take pregnant women and dig a hole in the ground and put their stomachs in it and whip them,” said Marie E. Hervey, the granddaughter of a slave.

Former slave Mandy McCullough Cosby remembered: “One woman, on a plantation not so far from us, was expectin’ and they tied her up under a hack-a’berry tree an’ whipped her until she died.”

Ex-slave Campbell Armstrong said: “Used to use a man just like he was a beast. They’d pull his clothes down and whip the blood out of him. Them people didn’t care what they’d done.”

In an interview, Lizzie Barnett recalled: “Many a time I’ve heard the bullwhips a-flying and heard the awful cry of the slaves. The flesh would be cut in great gaps and the maggots would get in them and they would squirm in misery.”

The issue of slavery divided the northern and southern states of America. The North either wanted to end the spread of slavery to new territories in the West, or ban it throughout the nation. But the cotton-rich South relied on slavery for its wealth and seven states withdrew from the union when Lincoln was elected President in 1860.

This led to the American Civil War, which was won by the North in 1865.

Until then, the plantation owners’ Slave Code meant they or their overseers could kill a slave without any consequences.

Ex-slave Robert Farmer said of one cruel overseer: “He beat my brother Peter once till Peter dropped dead.”

Often the owners would punish hapless slaves by humiliating them. Hannah Travis revealed: “If my mother left a dirty dish, sometimes there would be butter or flour or something in the dish that would need to be soaked, they made her drink the old, dirty dish water. They would whip her if she didn’t drink it.”

Mothers and their babies would be torn apart. Adelaide J. Vaughn, from Little Rock, Arkansas, said: “I heard the woman I lived with, Diana Wagner, tell how her mistress said, ‘Come on, Diana, I want you to go down the road with me apiece’.

“She went with her and they got to a place where there was a lot of people. They were putting them up on a block and selling them off just like cattle. She had a nursing baby at home and they had to git some men and throw her down and hold her to keep her from goin’ back. They sold her away from her baby boy. They didn’t let her see him again.”

Former slave Columbus Williams said of one overseer: “He would put 500 licks on them before he would quit. He would whip the women the same as he would the men.”

Slaves first arrived in the Americas from Africa in the 16th Century. The northern States abolished forced labour in 1800.

At first, many worked as domestic helps or in agricultural jobs but by 1860 two-thirds of them were in harsh cotton gangs.

Will Glass revealed: “I had an uncle, Anderson Fields, who would run away. They would get the dogs and run after him until he would climb a tree to get away. They would come and surround the tree and make him come down and they would whip him till the blood ran.”

Henry Andrews described how one owner punished a runaway: “Five hundred lashes and shot ’em up in jail. He had a jail on his place. He kept a male hog in the jail to tramp and walk over them.”

Even the plantation owners’ wives joined in the cruelty. Sarah Douglas said: “The last whipping I ever got I cried and bucked and hollered until I couldn’t. I give up for dead and she wouldn’t stop. I stop crying and said, ‘Old miss, if I were you and you were me, I wouldn’t beat you this way’.

“That struck old miss’s heart and she did not have the heart to beat me any more.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4808894/slaves-real-life-accounts.html#ixzz2LkdSTnCT
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by Olaone1: 8:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
And, where were the gods/God?

Arabs did the same thing to my people.

Religion's man-made angry

I will never believe in religion! sad
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by mensdept: 9:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
The problem of Nigeria is not what happened in America in the 1800s. You see Mississippi is greater and more developed than all the military created states in Nigeria. Even the history of Mississipi is greater than what Nigeria has done in the last 60-100 years of forced co-existence.

Religion has worked very well in Christian and even Muslim areas worldwide, and you'll find that from France to Dubai, those folks have Grown up and developed their part of the world, but in Nigeria, Redeemed, Holy Mountain this and that, Mallam SHeilk from SOkoto and the likes, are deceiving people that want to be deceived.

Why?

Because they are childish cowards that dont have any element of critical thinking.
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by Nobody: 4:27am On Feb 24, 2013
It is shocking what human beings would do if they are given charge over other people's lives, even animals wouldn't treat each other the way some humans treat each other.
Sad thing is that inspite of all the cruelties and inhumane treatment that was dealt to African slaves back then, majority of Africans are not interested in emancipating themselves and are still mental slaves.
Our official wear for corporate work is English wear, (suits, ties etc) while workers are only allowed to wear native cultural attires once a week; on Fridays. That is just one example of how Africans keep themselves shackled with the chains of slavery. Americans or Britains would never make laws that make it compulsory to wear African attires four days in a week.
They would never do that.
But Africans are only too happy to fling their heritage and culture aside and follow that of the people that enslaved them because deep down in their hearts, Africans believe that whites are superior to them.

On another note, I am glad to see that dogs tearing slaves apart was not actually a thing.
I found that scene a bit hard to watch in Django unchained movie.
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by Nobody: 4:28am On Feb 24, 2013
It is shocking what human beings would do if they are given charge over other people's lives, even animals wouldn't treat each other the way some humans treat each other.
Sad thing is that inspite of all the cruelties and inhumane treatment that was dealt to African slaves back then, majority of Africans are not interested in emancipating themselves and are still mental slaves.
Our official wear for corporate work is English wear, (suits, ties etc) while workers are only allowed to wear native cultural attires once a week; on Fridays. That is just one example of how Africans keep themselves shackled with the chains of slavery. Americans or Britains would never make laws that make it compulsory to wear African attires four days in a week.
They would never do that.
But Africans are only too happy to fling their heritage and culture aside and follow that of the people that enslaved them because deep down in their hearts, Africans believe that whites are superior to them.

On another note, I am glad to see that dogs tearing slaves apart was not actually a thing.
I found that scene a bit hard to watch in Django unchained movie.
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by Nobody: 4:28am On Feb 24, 2013
Modified
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by igbo2011(m): 6:55am On Feb 24, 2013
Ameriica is one of the mmost racist countries in the world. How does america have so many black men in jail?

The american government is neocolinizing africa as we speak.
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by Tolexander: 8:23am On Feb 24, 2013
anytime i read about the torture given to my ancestors in the american continents by the whites, i always feel sad and wish i had the power to emancipate them.
This is why i sometimes don't blame the yahoo guys cos is seems nemesis is doing what she knows best.
Why on earth should one subject his fellow human being to wiping and suffering nearly 24hours of the day. With the slavery in the Southern states(confederate states) that time, history has it that they couldn't match the North in productions and developments.
Seems it is even a curse on the black to be enslaved cos if whites weren't enslaving us, we would enslave ourselves. Just like nigeria and other african countries.
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 24, 2013
Tolexander: anytime i read about the torture given to my ancestors in the american continents by the whites, i always feel sad and wish i had the power to emancipate them.
This is why i sometimes don't blame the yahoo guys cos is seems nemesis is doing what she knows best.

Two wrongs don't make a right. The Yahoo boys should get a honest job instead of what they are doing.
Re: This Is Sad, Hurtful And Depressing. Nigerians, This Is About Your Beloved USA by Tolexander: 5:18pm On Feb 24, 2013
fellis:

Two wrongs don't make a right. The Yahoo boys should get a honest job instead of what they are doing.
that is why is said i don't 'sometimes' blame them.

(1) (Reply)

Man Mountain And Sajad Gharibi Dubbed ‘the Hulk’ Said He Wants To Fight ISIS / Melania Trump Brushes Off Her Husband's Attempt To Hold Her Hand In Public / How A Philadelphia Mob Boss Stole The US Election And Why It May Flip On Biden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.