Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,470 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) (12713 Views)

Trading In MTN Shares Suspended After $5.2bn Nigerian Fine / Nairaland On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE): A Good Idea? / Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) Weekly Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by Seun(m): 12:39pm On Feb 26, 2013
I noticed this question on another thread:
kingphemy: @all Can one trade on the NSE <snip> in the privacy of your home or office just using your computer without any 'middlemen'?
kingphemy: I just want to know whether you can trade from your PC conveniently without recourse to physically contacting your broker.

Can anyone help us out with this question?

1 Like

Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by akhis: 1:12pm On Feb 26, 2013
Yes you can trade but you would have to be a first, a chartered stock broker.
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by rareman(m): 2:10pm On Feb 26, 2013
am very much interested in this, if anyone can explain it better. What if I even have a broker to liaise with, but for to monitor things online and do my trading through the broker online. I will so much appreciate it
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by mayoroflag(m): 2:55pm On Feb 26, 2013
There are 2 levels of trading - by stockbroker and by client.

Only a chartered registered stockbroker can trade directly or remotely on the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

In order to trade your shares, you are required to place your orders with a stockbroker/ stockbroking firm. However, some Nigerian stockbroking firms now have facilities that enable you to place your order online either by email or directly on their site through an online account that you open with them.

Cheers...
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by mayoroflag(m): 3:00pm On Feb 26, 2013
Some brokers also make it possible for you to monitor the value of your stock through the account that you maintain with them, such that the value of the stock adjusts according the closing price of the stocks at the end of daily trading.

However, you can also do this by using for various sites (e.g. www.proshareng.com) for monitoring stock prices after 3.00pm each workday and use excel to monitor the effect of prices on your investments.
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by Born2beRich1(m): 3:13pm On Feb 26, 2013
Seun: I noticed this question on another thread:

For now you can only trade via a qualified licensed stock broker who purchase your stock orders and manages your portfolio..

[[online trading]] is not for now feasible in the NSE...
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 26, 2013
Seun: I noticed this question on another thread:

Thanks seun.
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by tony1980: 3:28pm On Feb 26, 2013
It is humanly possible but,get knowledge on how it works first from an expert in Stocks.Remember,in all your gettings,get insights.
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 26, 2013
mayoroflag: There are 2 levels of trading - by stockbroker and by client.

Only a chartered registered stockbroker can trade directly or remotely on the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

In order to trade your shares, you are required to place your orders with a stockbroker/ stockbroking firm. However, some Nigerian stockbroking firms now have facilities that enable you to place your order online either by email or directly on their site through an online account that you open with them.

Cheers...

Good. Please more on the bolded.
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by bigbablo(m): 3:50pm On Feb 26, 2013
Online platform that needs no physical interface with a stock broker?

Try https://www.meritrade.com/

This platform allows you to make buy or sell mandates in both equities (stocks) and bonds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by mayoroflag(m): 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2013
The Nigeria Stock Exchange allows only companies registered with it and CAC, based on some additional criteria, to trade. These companies are called stockbroking firms. The stockbroking firms trade through individuals called authorized dealing clerks who are chartered stockbrokers licensed to trade on behalf of stockbroking firms on the Nigeria Stock Exchange.

In order to improve their business reach, the stockbroking firms are leveraging on technology to enable customers to place orders to purchase or sell stocks. It is usually advertised as online trading, but it is actually placing of an order, instructing the stockbroking firm/ stockbroker to buy or sell as the case may be. Some of these firms include ARM, Meristem, to name a few.

To enjoy this service, your will run through the gamut of account opening process (just like opening an account with a bANK). Upon completion of that process, the stockbroking firm also proceed to open an online account for you where you can monitor your holdings and place orders with them. To you it is online trading, but to stockbroking firm it is just placing an order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by mayoroflag(m): 3:54pm On Feb 26, 2013
bigbablo: Online platform that needs no physical interface with a stock broker?

Try https://www.meritrade.com/

This platform allows you to make buy or sell mandates in both equities (stocks) and bonds.

On point.......

1 Like

Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by TopAnalyst(m): 4:35pm On Feb 26, 2013
Presently, the answer is NO - online trading is not possible.
However, the NSE is working on a new trading platform (known as XTREME) due to be launched middle of this year (2013) that would enable online, realtime, remote trading.

2 Likes

Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by a1solution: 6:56pm On Feb 26, 2013
TopAnalyst: Presently, the answer is NO - online trading is not possible.
However, the NSE is working on a new trading platform (known as XTREME) due to be launched middle of this year (2013) that would enable online, realtime, remote trading.
waiting for this to start trading.
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by KayDee4: 7:08pm On Feb 26, 2013
If you have an account with Zenith Securities for instance, you can issue buy or sell orders online from the comfort of your living room. That's the closest you get to 'remote trading'.
I don't think anyone who's not an authorised SB can trade directly with the floor (on or offline).

2 Likes

Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 26, 2013
I'm hoping that this becomes a reality soon.
TopAnalyst: Presently, the answer is NO - online trading is not possible.
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by chillykelly86(m): 12:00pm On Feb 27, 2013
For satisfactory answers to this and many more questions you may have on the Nigerian Stock Market, Stock Trading, Stockbroking, etc, visit SMN on

www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums.

Stock Market Nigeria (SMN for short) is likely the most active and informative Nigerian forum for stockbrokers, stocktraders, ordinary investors and other stakeholders in the Nigerian Stock Market.

Another wonderful site for stocks/shares News and Analysis is www.proshareng.com
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by yinka2011: 12:50pm On Feb 27, 2013
stocks carry a lot of risk that you need to understand.

on this website I am about to share, you can 'try stocks before you buy stocks'

and its online trading - only it is for practice and its free, the website is http://www.easykobo.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by Obinnau(m): 4:06pm On Feb 28, 2013
pls enlighten me. I need to know how dis works. Am a very young teenager but am interested in such ventures. Pls how does it work?
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by stockbull(m): 7:53pm On Mar 14, 2013
i love meritrade also
Re: Online Trading In Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 26, 2019

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Cryptocurrency: India To Ban Private Wallets, Fine And Jail Violators / Has Chymall Crashed? / How To Start A Real Estate Business With $100 And Make Up To 300% Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.