Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,552 members, 7,812,762 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . (3164 Views)

Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / What Convinces You That You Are Practicing The Right Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by mazaje(m): 12:54pm On Mar 03, 2013
So far we have been arguing endlessly about god, religion and traditions for many years here. . .Let me assume that there is a god for the sake of this thread. I read a material on line and decided to use some of it here to form the basis of this topic . .How exactly can one know that his god and his religion are the true ones?. . .What specific evidence is there to provide that your own god is the true god and your religious faith the right one compared to all the thousands of gods and religions out there?. . .How exactly can you determine that your choice was correct, and all the other variants wrong?

Most christains and muslims claim there is only one god, how can one determine this and what observable evidence is available to support this claim? In the bible, it has god saying repeatedly that he is the best among all the other gods, and that people should not worship the others which kind of implies that even he know that there were other gods. The koran says there is no god but allah also implying the same. So even the choice of monotheism seems dodgy, based only on your own religion's source material which are the religious books written by men and what ever concept of god they have in mind.

For those who believe in a particular religion and god, how did you manage to work out that not only monotheism, and say that christianity (and not islam or judaism) was the right path? What evidence did you use? Did you make this choice as an adult, after long and careful study of islam, judaism, sikhism, hinduism and shinto etc? Or did you 'choose' the religion that adults told you was the right one, perhaps even when you were a child, without having given a thought for all those other possibilities?

Isn't it strange, that if one of the major world religions is right, and the others wrong, god has not bothered to take steps to inspire all the people in places where they get it wrong to change direction?

Isn't it odd that children born all over the world overwhelmingly grow up with the religion of their parents, and rarely convert to a different, presumably more correct, religion? Isn't it odd that those few that do convert move in all directions , not just towards the one 'true' faith, but away from it as well?

To me all of this is easily explained if all of these religious positions are simply wrong, but it is very hard to explain if any of them are right. . . .

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by achinaboy(m): 1:11pm On Mar 03, 2013
paragraph 4 and the last explains it all,thanks for ur write up the hollyspirit in u is not the wrong one
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by MacDaddy01: 1:15pm On Mar 03, 2013
This is a question many people cant answer.
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 03, 2013
FrontPage material smiley
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by delkuf(m): 1:21pm On Mar 03, 2013
There is nothing like a right religion because religion itself is wrong. And xtianity is not religion. is a way of life, a relatnship. islam may claim their's is d one true religion, but xtianity is not

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by mazaje(m): 1:35pm On Mar 03, 2013
delkuf: There is nothing like a right religion because religion itself is wrong. And xtianity is not religion. is a way of life, a relatnship. islam may claim their's is d one true religion, but xtianity is not

Christianity remains a religion just like islam and shinto for example. . .Christianity also claims its the only faith that offers the right relationship with god. . .How did you come to this conclusion?. . .Did any god appear to you and tell you this himself?. . . How did you choose the beliefs you hold, and reject other similar beliefs? Why do children tend to adopt the religion of their parents or home culture, and not drift towards whichever is the 'correct' choice?

Whether you are a christian, a muslim, a jew, a hindu, or something else, you presumably think that the other choices are wrong, and for sure they think you are wrong. What methodology did you use to pick the right one from all the wrong ones? And how do you explain the fact that most of the world's population did not reach the same conclusion you did , wouldn't an almighty god be kind of a powerful influence to have on your side, if you were correct?
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by mazaje(m): 1:39pm On Mar 03, 2013
MacDaddy01: This is a question many people cant answer.

Generally, what you hear one of the following sorts of replies to the question of "why is your religion or god the right one?'

- My religion/god is the right one because it is the right one.

- My religion/god is the right one because it is so obvious it is the right one.

- My religion/god is right because it has proved to me it is right.

Now, these are not said explicitly, but implied:

- My religion is right because my religious leaders told me it is.

- My religion is right because it is the religion of my /family/culture and surrounding society, and we are the best.

I am just waiting for any body that will give me a specific reason with observable evidence as to why one god/religion is better than the others. . . .
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by delkuf(m): 1:53pm On Mar 03, 2013
That is where u miss it. xtianity is not a religion. this way u have faith in d relatnship with ur galfrnd, that it will wrk or grow, thats dsame way we have faith in God, and His son Jesus Christ
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by inspiredbyGOD(m): 1:54pm On Mar 03, 2013
Every adherent to a particular religion believes his own to be the best and right path to God and that every other person who doesn't follow their religion is headed for damnation/destruction. But the bottom line is that no one really knows anything for sure since we have to die first before realising what the truth is. Some just follow a particular religion for fear of the unknown. Most religions use fear to keep people in check (Christianity '
& Islam- hellfire, Hinduism- reincarnation as an animal etc.) . You are never told to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do; you are told to do the right thing because of a reward in the afterlife (I wonder how many people would continue doing "good" if there were no reward attached). No particular religion can claim to be the right path to God cos they are basically all the same.
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 03, 2013
Lol...

Even among themselves, most can't come up with a proper definition of their God. I predict this thread won't get beyond the second page, except a fellow, his asslicker and their band of merry strawmen decide to input.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by MacDaddy01: 2:16pm On Mar 03, 2013
mazaje:

Generally, what you hear one of the following sorts of replies to the question of "why is your religion or god the right one?'

- My religion/god is the right one because it is the right one.

- My religion/god is the right one because it is so obvious it is the right one.

- My religion/god is right because it has proved to me it is right.

Now, these are not said explicitly, but implied:

- My religion is right because my religious leaders told me it is.

- My religion is right because it is the religion of my /family/culture and surrounding society, and we are the best.

I am just waiting for any body that will give me a specific reason with observable evidence as to why one god/religion is better than the others. . . .

Here are further answers from christians

-Jesus is alive and the other Gods are dead ( Where is Jesus living on earth if he is alive?)
-The bible has withstood the test of time and attacks ( so has the Quran and the teachings of Buddha)
-Jesus is the most influential man in the world ( and Obama remains the most influential black man- doesnt mean he is right)

From muslims

-The quran is a miracle and perfect (A book that reads poorly in English translations with repetition of suffering for unbelievers)
-Muhammad was the greatest prophet/man (So great that he introduced nothing new to the world- not the greatest general or the most peaceful man or the most chaste manwith many wives)
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by mazaje(m): 2:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
delkuf: That is where u miss it. xtianity is not a religion. this way u have faith in d relatnship with ur galfrnd, that it will wrk or grow, thats dsame way we have faith in God, and His son Jesus Christ

Islam is also not a religion as well. . .

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by vedaxcool(m): 2:58pm On Mar 03, 2013
Islam is the right religion because its message is not time bound, that is people irrespective of time could have easily practice the religion, let me put it like this, the message is there is no diety worthy of worship except Allah, this remains the message that Islam has all been about, Allah guided mankind at different age with the same message, worship the one true God and obey his commandment, the Qur'an tells us every nations was guided by God, and he sent messengers to every nation on earth, who guided these people to the path of worship of God and legislature which maintained law and order in the society! Furthermore we learnt that this religion deviated from their true messages etc, hence they became aldultrated with practices that are not what was commanded, moving forward for a religion to be true it practices must not be time bound that is depending on actions of certain individual, islam passes this, it must not be a race stuff, that is members of a certain race are allowed exclusive position, in essence it must be a religion open to all, the religion must be clear in its message and not being everything to everybody, the religion must not be a cacus thing, that is certain individuals are the only ones who have deep knowledge of it practices like most African tradition religion its practices seems to depend on priest who alone knows the practices, the religion must not contradict claims it make in other word had this book been from any other than Allah, you would find in it many contradictions, the religion must be practicable or must have been practice, the religion must be free from strange logic like worshipping an object that claims to be deity but cannot even utter a word . . . Islam does not only surpasses this expectation but provides more that humanity would eventually benefit from!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by vedaxcool(m): 3:00pm On Mar 03, 2013
mazaje:

Islam is also not a religion as well. . .

Abeg oga no dey we muslims don't claim Islam is not religion, Islam is a religion, if u cannot refute an argument no need dragging Islam in it, the as well argument is very faulty and illogical way of refuting claims!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by cyrexx: 3:05pm On Mar 03, 2013
musKeeto: Lol. I predict this thread won't get beyond the second page, except a fellow, (anony) , his asslicker (ihedinobi) and their band of merry strawmen (davidylan, enigma, frosbel etc etc ) decide to input.

ROTFLMAO,

MusKeeto wan kee me wit laff for hia o.

grin
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by alfaman2: 3:06pm On Mar 03, 2013
My book says my god is the right god.

My book is right because my book says you are stuppid if you doubt what it says.

So, as I am not stuppid, my god it the right god.

OK?
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by cyrexx: 3:12pm On Mar 03, 2013
@Vedaxcool,

Pls answer this question sincerely:

WOULD YOU HAVE SEEN ISLAM THE WAY YOU DO IF YOU HAD NOT BEEN RAISED BY MUSLIM PARENTS?

In other words, assuming you were born in a Christian family and and all your life Christianity has shaped your worldview about all realities around you, do you think you will believe what you believe now about Islam

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by MacDaddy01: 3:16pm On Mar 03, 2013
vedaxcool: [size=18pt]Islam is the right religion because its message is not time bound[/size]/, that is people irrespective of time could have easily practice the religion, let me put it like this, the message is there is no diety worthy of worship except Allah, this remains the message that Islam has all been about, Allah guided mankind at different age with the same message, worship the one true God and obey his commandment, [size=18pt]the Qur'an tells us every nations was guided by God, and he sent messengers to every nation on earth, who guided these people to the path of worship of God and legislature which maintained law and order in the society![/size] Furthermore we learnt that this religion deviated from their true messages etc, hence they became aldultrated with practices that are not what was commanded, moving forward for a religion to be true it practices must not be time bound that is depending on actions of certain individual, islam passes this, it must not be a race stuff, that is members of a certain race are allowed exclusive position, in essence it must be a religion open to all, the religion must be clear in its message and not being everything to everybody, the religion must not be a cacus thing, that is certain individuals are the only ones who have deep knowledge of it practices like most African tradition religion its practices seems to depend on priest who alone knows the practices, [size=18pt]the religion must not contradict claims it make in other word had this book been from any other than Allah, you would find in it many contradictions,[/size] the religion must be practicable or must have been practice, the religion must be free from strange logic like worshipping an object that claims to be deity but cannot even utter a word . . . Islam does not only surpasses this expectation but provides more that humanity would eventually benefit from!

First bold;
Islam is bound by time. There is a quote saying that muslims shouldnt take Jews as friends and another saying that muslims should kill unbelievers. Those two verses only applies to the historical context of wars between Jewish tribes and Muslims in the 7th century. Or else, islam is then a terrorist religion.
-Same as the old testament in christianity- regulations for Jewish societies in the past.

Second bold;
That is an islamic lie. Which messenger/prophet went to Nigerian tribes? Which messenger went to Japan? Abeg

The third bold;
There are contradictions in the Quran. One can not decide whether hell is eternal or not in the Quran
Muhammad flew into heaven on a winged horse. That is scientifically and geographically impossible. Flying up only carries you into oxygenless space

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by vedaxcool(m): 3:34pm On Mar 03, 2013
cyrexx: @Vedaxcool,

Pls answer this question sincerely:

WOULD HAVE SEEN ISLAM THE WAY YOU DO IF YOU HAD NOT BEEN RAISED BY MUSLIM PARENTS?

In other words, assuming you were born in a Christian family and and all your life Christianity has shaped your worldview about all realities around you, do you think you will believe what you believe now about Islam

I have answered this question before, I cannot go on repeating myself over and over again, the fact you hatetheist, repeat yourself day in day out does not mean we have to answer your gaffes every day, but out of pity I will give you this answer becoz your question lack verifiability, whatever answer is beyond your ability to verify, but common sense and fact that people convert from christianity, atheism, etc to Islam should be enough reason for you to know whatever illogical questions you are planning to follow up will do you know good that facts remains that one who grows in a certain thought process does not prevent such a person from converting or changing religion! Most of what I wrote earlier were my expectations of religion even as a child!
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by MacDaddy01: 3:37pm On Mar 03, 2013
vedaxcool:

I have answered this question before, I cannot go on repeating myself over and over again, the fact you hatetheist, repeat yourself day in day out does not mean we have to answer your gaffes every day, but out of pity I will give you this answer becoz your question lack verifiability, whatever answer is beyond your ability to verify, but common sense and fact that people convert from christianity, atheism, etc to Islam should be enough reason for you to know whatever illogical questions you are planning to follow up will do you know good that facts remains that one who grows in a certain thought process does not prevent such a person from converting or changing religion! Most of what I wrote earlier were my expectations of religion even as a child!

When you were born, you didnt know God, you were an atheist/agnostic until you parents or someone told you about islam
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by cyrexx: 3:47pm On Mar 03, 2013
vedaxcool:

I have never asked you this question before, you must have mistook me for someone else.

And my question is a simple one that requires simple answer. You don't need to draw out a dagger as if you're being attacked.
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by mazaje(m): 6:15pm On Mar 03, 2013
vedaxcool: Islam is the right religion because its message is not time bound, that is people irrespective of time could have easily practice the religion, let me put it like this, the message is there is no diety worthy of worship except Allah, this remains the message that Islam has all been about, Allah guided mankind at different age with the same message, worship the one true God and obey his commandment, the Qur'an tells us every nations was guided by God, and he sent messengers to every nation on earth, who guided these people to the path of worship of God and legislature which maintained law and order in the society

Why do you keep repeating this lie over and over again?. . .Pls tell me the name of the propeht that was sent to the ancient Egyptians 5000 years ago?. . .We have the egyptian book of the dead and Ra is the only true god it mentions not allah. . .What about the followers of zeus? What messenger was sent to them and the ancient indians that lived 4 thousand years ago?. . .Non of their propehts(gurus) that were sent by their gods mentioned allah any where and their mode of worship and message is completely different from what is found in the koran. . .

Furthermore we learnt that this religion deviated from their true messages etc, hence they became aldultrated with practices that are not what was commanded, moving forward for a religion to be true it practices must not be time bound that is depending on actions of certain individual, islam passes this, it must not be a race stuff, that is members of a certain race are allowed exclusive position, in essence it must be a religion open to all, the religion must be clear in its message and not being everything to everybody, the religion must not be a cacus thing, that is certain individuals are the only ones who have deep knowledge of it practices like most African tradition religion its practices seems to depend on priest who alone knows the practices, the religion must not contradict claims it make in other word had this book been from any other than Allah, you would find in it many contradictions, the religion must be practicable or must have been practice, the religion must be free from strange logic like worshipping an object that claims to be deity but cannot even utter a word . . . Islam does not only surpasses this expectation but provides more that humanity would eventually benefit from!

Why are islamic society not more developed or better than non islamic societies?. . .We have Saudi Arabia and Iran as a model of islamic societies. . . .Why are the not better than other societies if islam offers anything special to mankind that can not be found in other societies?. . .
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:23pm On Mar 03, 2013
Paganism does not claim anything. if you think it is right, come and join us for prayer. if you dont think so, come and join us for dinner.

showing you that it is the right path is the job of us humans. humans like me.
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by rhymz(m): 6:29pm On Mar 03, 2013
delkuf: There is nothing like a right religion because religion itself is wrong. And xtianity is not religion. is a way of life, a relatnship. islam may claim their's is d one true religion, but xtianity is not
guy come off it jor. So when you are asked what is your religion, what do you say? Dumb way to make your point with such a useless argument. Just because in the heat of sermon and energetic use of soundbites, your pastor claims that christianity is not a religion, it does not neccessarily change the fact it is. It is like those preposterous faith activities they do in Churches, they say this year is your year of breakthrough, the next year it is your year of open doors, another year it is your year of divine abundance yet majority of the congregation go back home to drink garri from year to year, the fact of their poverty level or average level of financial empowerment is not changed or altered just because you choose to believe it has. Christianity is a religion with organized belief systems and worship litanies just like everyother religion, it does not matter what your pastor has taught you to claim about it, when you fill out a form that request for your religion, you damn well will put down christianity, so stop all that ignorant argument.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by vedaxcool(m): 7:32pm On Mar 03, 2013
mazaje:

Why do you keep repeating this lie over and over again?. . .Pls tell me the name of the propeht that was sent to the ancient Egyptians 5000 years ago?. . .We have the egyptian book of the dead and Ra is the only true god it mentions not allah. . .What about the followers of zeus? What messenger was sent to them and the ancient indians that lived 4 thousand years ago?. . .Non of their propehts(gurus) that were sent by their gods mentioned allah any where and their mode of worship and message is completely different from what is found in the koran. . .

When you are able to think properly and draw appropriate conclusions let me know, as oludumare suddenly became Yaweh of jews and Allah of the arabs how? Go think, chineke became what again yaweh/jehovah of Jews . . . As expected u don't even know why you opened this thread except to delude yourself that your poor definition of intelligence is what keeps you being an atheist!

mazaje:
Why are islamic society not more developed or better than non islamic societies?. . .We have Saudi Arabia and Iran as a model of islamic societies. . . .Why are the not better than other societies if islam offers anything special to mankind that can not be found in other societies?. . .

As expected, unquatifiable level of sordid intelligence somehow managed to overshadow any semblance of coherent and sensible thinking in your post, I ask you why did you start the thread? You don't know do you?, oh wait, to mock religion right? Ok have a nice time doing it, but when next you decide doing it, you should stop being like akpos rather be like a man that knows what he is doing, as I understand the aim is to ask how determine a right religion, I gave you a list of ways of verifying such, rather than you refute this ways you rush in your usual simpleton complex, I am sorry to say, and begin shouting Iran and Saudi Arabia, indicating clearly u don't even know why you started this thread, that in itself is a pity and shows how worshiping your ego seems to be the only proof against god! Even logicboy response made more sense than your ill thought response, I only refuse answering his post since he has shown inability to understand what he is responding to!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 03, 2013
vedaxcool:
As expected, unquatifiable level of sordid intelligence somehow managed to overshadow any semblance of coherent and sensible thinking in your post, I ask you why did you start the thread? You don't know do you?, oh wait, to mock religion right? Ok have a nice time doing it, but when next you decide doing it, you should stop being like akpos rather be like a man that knows what he is doing, as I understand the aim is to ask how determine a right religion, I gave you a list of ways of verifying such, rather than you refute this ways you rush in your usual simpleton complex, I am sorry to say, and begin shouting Iran and Saudi Arabia, indicating clearly u don't even know why you started this thread, that in itself is a pity and shows how worshiping your ego seems to be the only proof against god! Even logicboy response made more sense than you ill thought response, I only refuse answering his post since he has shown inability to understand what he is responding to!

Something just isn't right...
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by vedaxcool(m): 7:34pm On Mar 03, 2013
cyrexx:

I have never asked you this question before, you must have mistook me for someone else.

And my question is a simple one that requires simple answer. You don't need to draw out a dagger as if you're being attacked.

You question is not logical as people ask questions about something they can know the truth to, I pointed out this fact to you, as I have already answered your questions, regardless of what parenting I might have been born to, I believe I would have eventually found my way to Islam!
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by Image123(m): 7:36pm On Mar 03, 2013
hehehe have you been able to prove that there is no God? when you die, you'll know, don't be so bothered like us na.
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by MacDaddy01: 7:46pm On Mar 03, 2013
Image123: hehehe have you been able to prove that there is no God? when you die, you'll know, don't be so bothered like us na.

SMH
Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by vedaxcool(m): 7:55pm On Mar 03, 2013
musKeeto:

Something just isn't right...

Yep especially when you r a hypocrite:

musKeeto:
In summary, most would refuse this dance of shame. Pigs should be left to play in the mud with fellow pigs. Throw in a unicorn there, and well....

musKeeto:
Need some salt on that a55?

The pix below summarizes your problem:

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by mazaje(m): 7:59pm On Mar 03, 2013
Image123: hehehe have you been able to prove that there is no God? when you die, you'll know, don't be so bothered like us na.

Re: How Do You Know The Right Religion Or The Right God?. . . by Nobody: 8:00pm On Mar 03, 2013
vedaxcool:

Yep especially when you r a hypocrite:

The pix below summarizes your problem:

Something's definitely wrong...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

144000, Who Are They? / Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates / I Would Have Averted Mills’ Death If … — T.B. Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.