Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? (1380 Views)

Dangote Is Accepting Cv-bsc/hnd Closes Feb. 5th / NBC Offer And Access Bank Offer, Which One Should I Go For Please? / A Bank Job Offer And A Audit Offer - Which Would You Choos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by Don248: 11:47am On Mar 20, 2008
Hi every one,

A good friend of mine just applied for uk student visa, (though he has to work there so as to be able to pay his fees if given the visa), still awiating the visa outcome he got a job at diamond bank plc, what do u think should be the best decision? leave the job and travel or to accept the job offer?

Please we need your advice as quick as possible

one love
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Mar 20, 2008
I would advise you to stay with diamond bank. I am resident in Uk and I have seen what many of my Nigerian brothers and sisters pass through just because somebody promised them heaven on earth once they land here. The fact is that except you have work permit, residence card, HSMP, IGS or a citizen getting a relevant job to your field is most difficult.
The best way to study here is to have full sponsorship or you have a full scholarship there is no beauty in schooling and working( because if you don't work you will die) here. The schools are in no way concerned whether you work or not theirs is to make ensure you pay their fees. After graduation you are on your own.
This is how work goes here. First British citizens are considered, then EU citizens, then others.
However in a very tough economy some are doing very well. But you would be taking a great risk thinking you are coming to "paradise" I don't struggle here so you may come here also and enjoy but you have to think about your moves. Pray to God for direction.
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by frenchman(m): 3:50pm On Mar 20, 2008
Life is UK is a case of different folks with different tales. Even some of the so called work permit holders who are not skilled are having problems getting a decent job. Some HSMP holders are doing menial job to make ends meet.

However, this is not to discourage you as some are making it big here.
I am in Uk with HSMP and in to IT and I know people are doing pretty well.

The decision lies with you. It depends onwhat you want in terms of career and a better way of life, some times its good to take risks and some times its not. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I left my 200K job in Nigeria to come here and since I took that decison, God has been kind to me.

So weigh your options and pray fervently before you make the move.

May God be with you.
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by Pennywise(m): 5:01pm On Mar 20, 2008
belabela:

I would advise you to stay with diamond bank. I am resident in Uk and I have seen what many of my Nigerian brothers and sisters pass through just because somebody promised them heaven on earth once they land here. The fact is that except you have work permit, residence card, HSMP, IGS or a citizen getting a relevant job to your field is most difficult.
The best way to study here is to have full sponsorship or you have a full scholarship there is no beauty in schooling and working( because if you don't work you will die) here. The schools are in no way concerned whether you work or not theirs is to make ensure you pay their fees. After graduation you are on your own.
This is how work goes here. First British citizens are considered, then EU citizens, then others.
However in a very tough economy some are doing very well. But you would be taking a great risk thinking you are coming to "paradise" I don't struggle here so you may come here also and enjoy but you have to think about your moves. Pray to God for direction.

Original poster will do well to read this again. Very honest and very selfless piece of advice. What you or your friend have with Diamond bank is a job and a carrier. Better educated guys out there (UK) will kill you for this opportunity.

If I was to draw up a hierachy for available opportunities it will be something like, British citizens, EU citizens, Asians, Africans, Nigerians.However, with the recent resurgence of Nigerians in drug trafficking not sure if we will make the list at all.
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by klogsy: 5:30pm On Mar 20, 2008
he better accept the job at Diamond bank,cos wat gives him the impreession that BHC will give him Visa.a bird in hand worth thousands in the bush
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by jandbaby: 6:06pm On Mar 20, 2008
@poster,
It's all good advice so far. A bird in hand is really worth 2 in bush.

My advice is
Take a job
Begin the career
Save money like there's no tomorrow to sponsor the studies
Go on study leave
Get the post graduate degree
Then emigrate.
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by bignero: 9:43pm On Mar 20, 2008
@ poster
is ur friend anthony onukwuba?
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by deor03(m): 4:05pm On Mar 21, 2008
Pennywise:

Original poster will do well to read this again. Very honest and very selfless piece of advice. What you or your friend have with Diamond bank is a job and a carrier. Better educated guys out there (UK) will kill you for this opportunity.

If I was to draw up a hierachy for available opportunities it will be something like, British citizens, EU citizens, Asians, Africans, Nigerians.However, with the recent resurgence of Nigerians in drug trafficking not sure if we will make the list at all.

Just to correct the list, it's like British citizens, EU citizens, Asians, Africans.!.!.!.!.,.,.!.!. Ok nobody else, then Nigerians grin
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by Parracin: 11:08am On Mar 22, 2008
Please forget the job at Diamond Bank and come to the Uk. For you to be offered a job at Diamond Bank, I will assume that you are a graduate so why will a graduate want to work at Diamond Bank when there are better opportunities in the Uk? The truth is I am presently on my masters in the Uk so I will encourage you to come over. As a Nigerian graduate the opportunities are immense. There are so many shops to work at, so many toilets to clean, so many security guard jobs, so many jobs at royal mail, etc. I could go on and on. We need more people for manual labour with your degree.

My friend, You better wake up and cos the reality is much different from wat people make you think, dats unless u're a british citizen, EU citizen,etc, others and then Nigeria. You will never know the value of wat have until its gone. The future is yours, afterall it's your life so make up your mind yourself.
Re: Traveling To Uk And Accepting Diamond Job Offer, Which Is Better? by Pennywise(m): 6:03pm On Mar 22, 2008
@OP
If inspite of these you go ahead and travel to the UK, in 10 years time while you are still trying to turn charcoal into diamond inside London your contemporaries being recruited now would have risen to managerial positions.They will come and spend money the way you only dream of or obtain additional qualifications from the Ivy league (US) or Oxford/Cambridge and then come back to their jobs with their employers balls in their firm grasp considering the on-the-job training they've had.

There is no doubt that being in the UK has its advantages. You will likely live longer. But you will have to find your place as a tiller of the soil in a modern feudal society. Occassionally of course you will see a brother or a sister with extreme luck and maybe hardwork break out of this destined existence.With that same measure of luck and hardwork in Nigeria you can only imagine what his achievement will be.

Opportunities for Nigerians both legal and illegal have been locked up and the key thrown into the English Channels. For example I understand that the weaknesses in the mortgage market that enabled our peeps to 'own' 10, 20 houses while people wey get country are homeless has been addressed with new legislations.

So for someone who has been given a bank job that is not being pursued by anybody in Nigeria, why don't you wait so that you can eat from the top rather than eat from the bottom when you get to the UK.

(1) (Reply)

Zenith Bank Ooooooooooooooo! / Recruiting Now: Application Closes In A Week (thursday, 18th June 2009) / Glo Interview-24/03/10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.