Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:35 AM

What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed (8826 Views)

The Pros And Cons Of Using A Hybrid Vehicle In Nigeria / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! / What Are The Pros, Cons And Costs Of Buying Salvaged Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by atikubaba(m): 3:17pm On Mar 04, 2013
By flush I mean Chemicals are poured into the engine, which is then gently idled for a few minutes to make sure the cleaning agent reaches everyplace oil would normally go. Then the chemicals are drained, just like the oil would be for an oil change. As a matter of fact, an engine flush is often performed after the old oil is taken out and before the new, clean oil is poured in.

Please auto experts what are the benefits if any and the potential problems this can cause tom engines.thanks

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by ikeyman00(m): 4:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
@@@@

i was gona open up a thread on this; since we all now have actively undergone THE THERMOSTAT SESSION as we did i was thinking the next one should be this

how many people out there that has used engine flush

well as some of one yall already know this soldier right here still dwells on commonsense

1; this are the ideas running through my mind; if a flush could rid the engine of sludge etc wat makes one believe this is where is stops; there are chances it might as well watches of the engine seals and create bores

2; there is a chance the crumbs could damage the oil pumps etc and get the engine choked

well i decided to have a check on the so called expertise views it turns out to be of the same concern

some argue it best is dismantle and rebuild ur engine than using engine flush

however, either waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy engine flush should not be everyday stuff; it should and i repeat should be the last solution to the engine; it should be treated like antibiotics

wat surprised me most is that the so called expert in nl recommend an engine flush in every oil refilling shocked

the forum is still an open surface anyway and u might have other ideas

still the same solider

ikeyman

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:05pm On Mar 04, 2013
atikubaba: By flush I mean Chemicals are poured into the engine, which is then gently idled for a few minutes to make sure the cleaning agent reaches everyplace oil would normally go. Then the chemicals are drained, just like the oil would be for an oil change. As a matter of fact, an engine flush is often performed after the old oil is taken out and before the new, clean oil is poured in.

Please auto experts what are the benefits if any and the potential problems this can cause tom engines.thanks

wrong here in UK you add engine flush to the old oil (before draining) let it idle for some time then drain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwg5TnMjL8

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:16pm On Mar 04, 2013
ikeyman00: @@@@

i was gona open up a thread on this; since we all now have actively undergone THE THERMOSTAT SESSION as we did i was thinking the next one should be this

how many people out there that has used engine flush

well as some of one yall already know this soldier right here still dwells on commonsense

1; this are the ideas running through my mind; if a flush could rid the engine of sludge etc wat makes one believe this is where is stops; there are chances it might as well watches of the engine seals and create bores

2; there is a chance the crumbs could damage the oil pumps etc and get the engine choked

well i decided to have a check on the so called expertise views it turns out to be of the same concern

some argue it best is dismantle and rebuild ur engine than using engine flush

however, either waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy engine flush should not be everyday stuff; it should and i repeat should be the last solution to the engine; it should be treated like antibiotics

wat surprised me most is that the so called expert in nl recommend an engine flush in every oil refilling shocked

the forum is still an open surface anyway and u might have other ideas

still the same solider

ikeyman

thats the reason they say it must idle for 10 to 15 mins all the slug eventually drop into sump, the addictive weakens the slug and eventually it drops or moves further down untill it drops as shown in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwg5TnMjL8
Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by Trac: 8:17am On Mar 05, 2013
This is not for every car. The solution used has to be of industrial strength and not something off the shelf. The last thing is something going wrong in this "department."

For VW/Audi's/Seat and the rest of the VW family, the service manual states minor and major oil changes [in that order]. These engines were designed for such procedures.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by cretin: 9:56am On Mar 05, 2013
that procedure shud be a last resort for a car with known case of sludge build up, in the usa..seafoam is normally used

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:54am On Mar 05, 2013
cretin: that procedure shud be a last resort for a car with known case of sludge build up, in the usa..seafoam is normally used

you are missing the point it is not about your car known to build slug but an extra mile to clean up during oil change
Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 05, 2013
Space booked
Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by Denn(m): 10:53am On Mar 06, 2013
engine flush is known to damage seals.

the effect is not immediate but it will definitely harden your seals and allow oil seepage into the combustion chambers.

you get fairly white/bluish exhaust smoke after idling (after like 2 months from flush), then you start having oil shortages as your engine dies from self inflicted HIV.

i service my vehicle at accredited centres with service plans (up to 200,000km from 0) and there is no part of the plans that requires an engine flush.

best bet is ensure you have regular oil changes and maintain your vehicle with the right oil and parts.

same goes with the fuel injector cleaners sold at filling stations...

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed by mrtnt: 2:36am On Mar 20, 2013
Hi experts in d hse! Should u buy a naija used toyota car and not knowing d history of d fluid/oil being used on it. To save d hassles of engine flush, wil it then be wise to fully drain out d old oil/fluid and just start a new line of oil/fluid altogether: just like normal servicing?

Thx in adv.

(1) (Reply)

Does Third Party Insurance Work In Nigeria? / Is This Car Worth N1.55 Million? See Pictures. / Synthetic Motor Oil Versus Conventional Motor Oil Cold Pour Comparison Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.