Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,076 members, 7,825,397 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight (3220 Views)

5 Silly Things That Nairaland Christians Do (updated From 3) / Why Is It That Nairaland Is Full Of Fanatics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by InesQor(m): 12:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
musKeeto: Funny thread... grin

Walahi I just dey here dey laugh grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Empty barrel!

Next!
grin grin grin grin

trololo
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by InesQor(m): 12:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

I never made the claim that majority of atheists here are intelligent even though it is true. I didnt make that claim because that would lead to a long argument of something so obvious with you guys.

I made a list of the regular atheists, please point out the "trolls and ones without offering anything of their own".
No be my mouth dem go hear am. Dem sabi themselves.

Name the "less quality ones" from my list-
Heehehehehehe grin grin grin grin

You will fail so hard.
I am gentle sir. cool
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by MrAnony2: 12:17pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

Empty barrel!

Next!
grin grin grin grin

trololo
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:17pm On Mar 06, 2013
InesQor:
I am gentle sir. cool

cool
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yawn. It is a fact that many christians do not even know their bible and other religions as well as atheists http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/us/28religion.html?_r=0

C'mon LB, extrapolating a research carried out in America to the rest of the world, especially to Nigeria of all places? This is very inappropriate for obvious reasons:

a) Family and parental influence on the child in terms of religious education in Nigeria is very different from that of the average American.

b) Government schools permit religious education in Nigeria which is lacking in the US.

c) We are talking about people here. It would be inappropriate to say a research done in America would yield the same result here in Nigeria.

and the list goes on.

I will only accept that the research is just limited to the 'test subjects' in the US.
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:24pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

C'mon LB, extrapolating a research carried out in America to the rest of the world, especially to Nigeria of all places? This is very inappropriate for obvious reasons:

a) Family and parental influence on the child in terms of religious education in Nigeria is very different from that of the average American.

b) Government schools permit religious education in Nigeria which is lacking in the US.

c) We are talking about people here. It would be inappropriate to say a research done in America would yield the same result here in Nigeria.

and the list goes on.

I will only accept that the research is just limited to the 'test subjects' in the US.

Do you understand the meaning of your objections?

You do know that America is much more literate than the Naija?
You do know that there is a higher percentage of atheists in the USA?
You do know America is less religious than Nigeria?

Are you going to now tell me that this test will not be worse for religious people in Nigeria or that somehow Nigerian christians will score higher rather than the clear case for more failure from them?
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

and the list goes on.

Nigeria has better parenting with polygamy abi? Or the average Nigerian knows about buddhism or the history of slavery in christianity? Who told you religious education is lacking in America? The best secondary schools include many private catholic shcools in America.
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

Do you understand the meaning of your objections?

Definitely!

Logicboy03:
You do know that America is much more literate than the Naija?

Percentage literacy has little to do with it. It has more to do with how the individual utilizes his ability to read and write. If someone does not 'study' religious knowledge, the individual would know nothing about it even when he is literate.

This is similar to saying: because one is literate then he necessarily has knowledge about Atheism. Literacy does not mean one would automatically have some 'specific knowledge' when he does not make moves to acquire them.

Logicboy03:
You do know that there is a higher percentage of atheists in the USA?

Agreed but I fail to see how this supports your move to extrapolate the result of that research.

Logicboy03:
You do know America is less religious than Nigeria?

Exactly the reason why you shouldn't have brought up that research. The variables are far from similar.

Logicboy03:
Are you going to now tell me that this test will not be worse for religious people in Nigeria or that somehow Nigerian christians will score higher rather than the clear case for more failure from them?

This is my point: there is no way of telling what the result would be for Nigeria until a similar test is carried out. To shove the result of a test carried out in America who are obviously less religious down our throats is inappropriate.
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by ooman(m): 12:40pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Definitely!

Percentage literacy has little to do with it. It has more to do with how the individual utilizes his ability to read and write. If someone does not 'study' religious knowledge, the individual would know nothing about it even when he is literate.

This is similar to saying: because one is literate then he necessarily has knowledge about Atheism. Literacy does not mean one would automatically have some 'specific knowledge' when he does not make moves to acquire them.

Agreed but I fail to see how does supports your move to extrapolate the result of that research.

Exactly the reason why you shouldn't have brought up that research. The variables are far from similar.

This is my point: there is no way of telling what the result would be for Nigeria until a similar test is carried out. To shove the result of a test carried out in America who are obviously less religious down our throats is inappropriate.

UH!!
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

UH!!

Guy wetin do u for head?
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by ooman(m): 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Guy wetin do u for head?

you bore me embarassed
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

you bore me embarassed

In accordance with master LB: Begone troll!!!

LWKMD!!!

No fex o, I couldn't resist!
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Definitely!

Agreed but I fail to see how this supports your move to extrapolate the result of that research.

[size=18pt]Exactly the reason why you shouldn't have brought up that research. The variables are far from similar.[/size]

A whole lot of straw men and nonsense.

First off, what is measured here is religion compared to religious knowledge. And that study is one study among many that show that atheists are more likely to be intelligent compared to people who believe in god or are religious.

So these variables that you are claiming are not different. The basic thing you need for these studies are religion and beilevers and disbelievers.

Secondly, you are arguing nonsense about Nigeria. First off, there are not many studies carried out in Nigeria and so by that alone, your point is moot. Will you now claim that 80% of social studies done in the west are irrelevant to Nigeria?

Also, these intelligence/religion studies have been carried out in the UK and America and many other western countries with a consistent result.

So you are pointless
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by ooman(m): 12:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

In accordance with master LB: Begone troll!!!

LWKMD!!!

No fex o, I couldn't resist!

resist the devil, and he shall flee from thee.

In Je*** name, get thee behind me, devil!!! angry
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

A whole lot of straw men and nonsense.

It's either you don't know what 'straw man' is or you don't know what the particular argument is about.

Logicboy03:
First off, what is measured here is religion compared to religious knowledge.

You see my point? You didn't even take your time to understand the research. The research more about Americans (per the various category) and their knowledge of religion broadly speaking.

Logicboy03:
And that study is one study among many that show that atheists are more likely to be intelligent compared to people who believe in god or are religious.

So these variables that you are claiming are not different. The basic thing you need for these studies are religion and beilevers and disbelievers.

Secondly, you are arguing nonsense about Nigeria. First off, there are not many studies carried out in Nigeria and so by that alone, your point is moot. Will you now claim that 80% of social studies done in the west are irrelevant to Nigeria?

Also, these intelligence/religion studies have been carried out in the UK and America and many other western countries with a consistent result.

So you are pointless

No need to address the above until you know what the crux of the argument is. Sorry!
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

resist the devil, and he shall flee from thee.

In Je*** name, get thee behind me, devil!!! angry

Lol!!!
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by ooman(m): 1:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Lol!!!

tongue
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by MrAnony2: 1:19pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

It's either you don't know what 'straw man' is or you don't know what the particular argument is about.

You see my point? You didn't even take your time to understand the research. The research more about Americans (per the various category) and their knowledge of religion broadly speaking.

No need to address the above until you know what the crux of the argument is. Sorry!
Lol, I like how you seem to have this firm believe that against all odds, logicboy will one day follow an argument logically. It is so adorable
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Lol, I like how you seem to have this firm believe that against all odds, logicboy will one day follow an argument logically. It is so adorable

Lol!
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Shows that you have nothing.

The question remains that with that study, what kind of fool will expect that Nigeria will do better with a lower literacy rate and also a higher level of religiousity?
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

Shows that you have nothing.

The question remains that with that study, what kind of fool will expect that Nigeria will do better with a lower literacy rate and also a higher level of religiousity?

Master, I have shown you how the level of literacy does not apply to the matter under consideration and I am at a loss how an 'intellectual heavy weight' as yourself cannot get your intellect to 'see' that the variables between America and Nigeria are not similar and as such it would be silly to extrapolate the results.

What you have attempted to do is trying to interpret the 'behaviour' of one 'variable' with the aid of another. In order words, you have attempted to move from the known to the unknown. In order for your extrapolation to make sense you should be able to demonstrate, using the scientific method, that the 'known variable' readily explains the 'unknown' and there must be some reasonable degree of 'certainty' that 'known' is an ideal measure of projecting the results of the unknown.

In order to achieve this, you must be able to demonstrate that the 'variables' acting to influence the known are also present in the 'unknown' and where there is any deviation from this, you should readily be able to show that those factors are negligible. You have not been able to show any of what I have talked about and I have shown everyone plausible reasons why that extrapolation is not appropriate.
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

tongue

Guy I go bite ya tongue o!

...and don't worry, I aint gay grin
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Master, I have shown you how the level of literacy does not apply to the matter under consideration and I am at a loss how an 'intellectual heavy weight' as yourself cannot get your intellect to 'see' that the variables between America and Nigeria are not similar and as such it would be silly to extrapolate the results.

What you have attempted to do is trying to interpret the 'behaviour' of one 'variable' with the aid of another. In order words, you have attempted to move from the known to the unknown. In order for your extrapolation to make sense you should be able to demonstrate, using the scientific method, that the 'known variable' readily explains the 'unknown' and there must be some reasonable degree of 'certainty' that 'known' is an ideal measure of projecting the results of the unknown.

In order to achieve this, you must be able to demonstrate that the 'variables' acting to influence the known are also present in the 'unknown' and where there is any deviation from this, you should readily be able to show that those factors are negligible. You have not been able to show any of what I have talked about and I have shown everyone plausible reasons why that extrapolation is not appropriate.

You are just confusing yourself. A semi-literate person will always rate poorly on such a test. literacy has many indicies. You will find that what separates black christians who did worse than other christians is literacy and education.

1) It has been consistently confirmed that atheism and intelligence have a positive correlation
2) America is a religious country
3) A test in America showed that atheists are more knowledgeable than all other religious people in terms of religious knowledge
4) America is less religious and more literate than Nigeria

These 4 lead to 5

5) Nigerians will more likely score poorer on that test study

Secondly, the authors investigated the link between religiosity and intelligence on a country level. Among the sample of 137 countries, only 23 (17%) had more than 20% of atheists, which constituted “virtually all... higher IQ countries.” The authors reported a correlation of 0.60 between atheism rates and level of intelligence, which was determined to be “highly statistically significant”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence#Studies_comparing_religious_belief_and_I.Q.
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

You are just confusing yourself.

Oh master...what I explained is quite simple and straight forward. It is basic and I expect an 'intellectual giant' like master to understand it and stop arguing the obvious.

Logicboy03:
A semi-literate person will always rate poorly on such a test.

Master, again I say you are yet to understand the research. They considered a number of indices and still arrived at the same conclusion. Factors like age, racial differences e.g were considered and even the level of literacy you talked about and they arrived at the same conclusion. For the avoidance of doubt, see extract below:

"The results were the same even after the researchers controlled for factors like age and racial differences. “Even after all these other factors, including education, are taken into account"

From the above anyone can readily see that the level of literacy won't affect anything cause it was considered. When you consider level of education, then your respondents should be those who are educated or not. If you consider only educated Nigerians and educated Americans I wonder where the ish would be since both respondents are educated.

Logicboy03:
literacy has many indicies. You will find that what separates black christians who did worse than other christians is literacy and education.

It can be deduced that the factors you mentioned were considered separately and the results were still the same.

Logicboy03:
1) It has been consistently confirmed that atheism and intelligence have a positive correlation
2) America is a religious country
3) A test in America showed that atheists are more knowledgeable than all other religious people in terms of religious knowledge
4) America is less religious and more literate than Nigeria

These 4 lead to 5

Master the above are not in dispute.

Logicboy03:
5) Nigerians will more likely score poorer on that test study

I have given reasons why we can't use America as a test case for Nigeria.
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by ooman(m): 3:40pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Guy I go bite ya tongue o!

...and don't worry, I aint gay grin

yes you are wink
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

yes you are wink

For ya mind!
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by ooman(m): 3:43pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

For ya mind!

in reality
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Ishilove: 3:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:

ishilove

shocked

embarassed

angry
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Master, again I say you are yet to understand the research. They considered a number of indices and still arrived at the same conclusion. Factors like age, racial differences e.g were considered and even the level of literacy you talked about and they arrived at the same conclusion. For the avoidance of doubt, see extract below:

"The results were the same even after the researchers controlled for factors like age and racial differences. “Even after all these other factors, including education, are taken into account"

From the above anyone can readily see that the level of literacy won't affect anything cause it was considered. When you consider level of education, then your respondents should be those who are educated or not. If you consider only educated Nigerians and educated Americans I wonder where the ish would be since both respondents are educated.

So you take a quote out of context to lie to prove an unprovable point (literacy doesnt affect the test)? Why not post the full paragraph and correct order of sentence?

Lying to defend the faith. Dont worry- Anony, Enigma and co do that all the time- you guys have to cheat to be on par with atheism

striktlymi:
It can be deduced that the factors you mentioned were considered separately and the results were still the same.

Master the above are not in dispute.

I have given reasons why we can't use America as a test case for Nigeria

You dispute the part that debunks your whole argument abi? gave you a logical step (4 steps of which you agree with) to why the case applies but no, you just close your eyes and live in denial.

lmao. you people are desperate
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 10:33pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

So you take a quote out of context to lie to prove an unprovable point (literacy doesnt affect the test)? Why not post the full paragraph and correct order of sentence?

Lying to defend the faith. Dont worry- Anony, Enigma and co do that all the time- you guys have to cheat to be on par with atheism

You dispute the part that debunks your whole argument abi? gave you a logical step (4 steps of which you agree with) to why the case applies but no, you just close your eyes and live in denial.

lmao. you people are desperate

ooman you see why I get tired of arguing some basic and obvious things?

Master LB abeg I no get power! May be some other time...
Re: A Sign That Nairaland Christians Are Not Pulling The Intellectual Weight by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 06, 2013
striktlymi:

ooman you see why I get tired of arguing some basic and obvious things?

Master LB abeg I no get power! May be some other time...

Love you too bro smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Questions About Islam: I Need Frank And Objective Responses From True Muslims. / Koinonia School Of Ministry 2022 Application Form + Registration Guide / The Final Lie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.