Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,753 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Solipsism: You Are All Alone! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Solipsism: You Are All Alone! (1955 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 4:26am On Mar 06, 2013
[size=14pt]Bus Ads Deny The Existence Of God Other Minds[/size]

Citing the impossibility of having direct, immediate experience of another person’s consciousness, a group of solipsists is running ads on buses declaring “There Are Probably No Other Minds . . . Now Stopping Worrying and Enjoy Your Hallucinations.”

The campaign is the brainchild of Richard Dawkins, author of the self-published “The You Delusion.”

Dawkins said he got the idea from his life-long study of atheism. “Once I realized there was no proof of a higher intelligence in the universe, it struck me as a colossal leap of faith to believe that there were any other minds out there besides my own,” he said. “All of my experience of ‘them,’ however real it may seem, occurs exclusively in my head, and the fact that ‘they’ appear to exhibit signs of self-awareness similar to my own is simply another part of the same personal, subjective phenomenon.”

Dawkins added that he had long suspected that the sinful, chattering idiots by whom he found himself surrounded were too stupid to be real. He nevertheless expressed a certain affection for the amusing, imaginary creatures, even when they were bad. “Having brought them into being by the force of my will, I feel a strong, fatherly, near-infinite love for those whom I have made in my image.”

DISCLAIMER: The above is not really Dawkins. It is merely a parody of him

Source: http://ravingatheist.com/page/7/

Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by SNCOQ3(m): 12:25pm On Mar 06, 2013
"Atheist Evangelical Worldwide" Daddy G.O aka Dawkins with his convert behind a banner and colorful balloons...soon they'll start organizing crusades.

2 Likes

Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 12:29pm On Mar 06, 2013
SNCOQ3: "Atheist Evangelical Worldwide" Daddy G.O aka Dawkins with his convert behind a banner and colorful balloons...soon they'll start organizing crusades.
While I appreciate your comment, I think you missed the point of the OP
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 12:29pm On Mar 06, 2013
delusions of grandeur plus psychosis fights the author of this thread
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 12:31pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman: delusions of grandeur plus psychosis fights the author of this thread
Lol true...but think about it carefully. can you really provide any proof that another person's consciousness exists other than yours?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 12:32pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Lol...but think about it carefully. can you really provide any proof that other minds exist other than yours?

There is no organ such as a mind. Its all in your head. Religion can really make one crazy. ugh!!
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Lol...but think about it carefully. can you really provide any proof that any other mind exists other than yours?

Bros, how far?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 12:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

There is no organ such as a mind. Its all in your head. Religion can really make one crazy. ugh!!
Exactly! it is also all in your head that a universe exists because if you die, how will you know that a universe is still existing?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by SNCOQ3(m): 12:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
-double post-
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 12:37pm On Mar 06, 2013
musKeeto:

Bros, how far?
Lol, how far wetin?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 12:38pm On Mar 06, 2013
Anony and the likes lack the understanding of what Dawkins is saying. He is referring to wave-particle nature of matter.

you have to understand this:
[size=15pt]
ALL THE WORLD AROUND US IS COMPOSED OF MATTER WAVES, EVEN OURSELVES. THEREFORE, AS YOU READ THIS, THERE IS ONLY A PROBABILITY THAT YOU ARE THERE AT ALL!!
[/size]

NOW, THAT IS QUANTUM PHYSICS!
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 12:39pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Exactly! it is also all in your head that a universe exists because if you die, how will you know that a universe is still existing?

Dead or not, you are still part of the cosmos - the cosmos includes the universe and everything outside or inside oF it.

THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGES IS CONSCIOUSNESS!!
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 06, 2013

http://old.richarddawkins.net/videos/3494-atheists-launch-bus-ad-campaign

For those interested in truth and not straw men op
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 12:41pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

so the OP was fake?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

so the OP was fake?

Anony is fake also smiley
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 12:42pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

Dead or not, you are still part of the cosmos - the cosmos includes the universe and everything outside or inside oF it.

THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGES IS CONSCIOUSNESS!!
You are missing the point. How do you know this for sure outside your own consciousness?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Lol, how far wetin?
You know that the mind and whatever you experience is subjective. It would also mean the experience of God would be subjective too. Abi, no be so?

There's no way I can prove what's in your mind. Same would go for God, right?

EDIT: Seems you changed mind to consciousness.
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

Anony is fake also smiley

This is disappointing, I have only wasted my time.

However, in the quantum physics sense, state of existence can be truly conceived to be a delusion, hence, consciousness can be induced. Work is going on about this!!!
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 12:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

http://old.richarddawkins.net/videos/3494-atheists-launch-bus-ad-campaign

For those interested in truth and not straw men op
Lol, so it wasn't obvious to you that I was presenting a parody?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 12:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
You are missing the point. How do you know this for sure outside your own consciousness?

Outside consciousness, there is no observation!!! Get that into your little dafty head?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 12:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
musKeeto:
You know that the mind and whatever you experience is subjective. It would also mean the experience of God would be subjective too. Abi, no be so?
Na so, ibu nwa mara akwukwo. The point of the solipsists is that if everything you experience is subjective to you, then everything is in your mind.

There's no way I can prove what's in your mind. Same would go for God, right?
There is no way that you can prove that other people even have minds in the first place not to talk of what is in them

EDIT: Seems you changed mind to consciousness.
To me they mean the same thing, I only edited it for the sake those who like to split hairs
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by SNCOQ3(m): 12:56pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2: While I appreciate your comment, I think you missed the point of the OP

Sorry, perhaps we're expected to address the issue; I just find Dawkin's activities amusing.
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 12:56pm On Mar 06, 2013
ooman:

Outside consciousness, there is no observation!!! Get that into your little dafty head?
lolol, exactly. But when I die I won't be able to observe the universe....Therefore the universe only exists within my consciousness.
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 12:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
lolol, exactly. But when I die I won't be able to observe the universe....Therefore the universe only exists within my consciousness.

AND SO DOES GOD. NOW YOU ARE TALKING WITH SENSE
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 1:00pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Na so, ibu nwa mara akwukwo. The point of the solipsists is that if everything you experience is subjective to you, then everything is in your mind.
Lol @ bolded.

Mr_Anony2:
There is no way that you can prove that other people even have minds in the first place not to talk of what is in them
Funny, hence cometh the question
Why is the mad man mad? Does the mad man view us as sane?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 1:00pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:

AND SO DOES GOD. NOW YOU ARE TALKING WITH SENSE, OR ARE YOU AN ATHEIST ALREADY??
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:

ooman:

AND SO DOES GOD. NOW YOU ARE TALKING WITH SENSE, OR ARE YOU AN ATHEIST ALREADY??
Ok, what's going on here?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Lol, so it wasn't obvious to you that I was presenting a parody?

A parody of what? That has little relation to Dawkins. Bad parody

Why not address solipsism on its own? Or use an argument of solipsism made by someone to make a parody out of?
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by MrAnony2: 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
SNCOQ3:

Sorry, perhaps we're expected to address the issue; I just find Dawkin's activities amusing.
Nah, Dawkins didn't really do that, the op is just making a parody of Dawkins' arguements. If Dawkins holds that God does not exist because he can't physically observe God, we can take it a step further to argue that other people other than Dawkins equally do not have a consciousness because Dawkins cannot by physical observation conclude that there exists a separate consciousness other than his own.
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by ooman(m): 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
musKeeto:

Ok, what's going on here?

still figuring it out
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 06, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Nah, Dawkins didn't really do that, the op is just making a parody of Dawkins' arguements. If Dawkins holds that God does not exist because he can't physically observe God, we can take it a step further to argue that other people other than Dawkins equally do not have a consciousness because Dawkins cannot by physical observation conclude that there exists a separate consciousness other than his own.

The bold doesnt not follow. Non sequitur. Also doesnt make sense
Re: Solipsism: You Are All Alone! by Nobody: 1:04pm On Mar 06, 2013
following..

(1) (2) (Reply)

God: An Atheist Perspective / Should Christians Mention Their Pastor's Name In Their Prayers? / Why Are Both Jesus And Satan Called The Bright Morning Star

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.