Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,844 members, 7,820,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Bus Rapid Transit(BRT):Grammatical Error - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Bus Rapid Transit(BRT):Grammatical Error (684 Views)

BUS RAPID TRANSIT(BRT):GRAMMATICAL ERROR / Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bus Rapid Transit(BRT):Grammatical Error by ossyme(m): 1:00pm On Mar 06, 2013
May I ask my fellow nairalanders who are familiar with the acceptable arrangement of adjectives before a noun or a compound word if BUS RAPID TRANSIT(BRT)is grammatically acceptable:

Transit, as we all know, is according to The Free Dictionary by Farlex,defined below:
1. The act of passing over, across, or through; passage.
2.a. Conveyance of people or goods from one place to another, especially on a local public transportation system.
b. The system or vehicles used for such conveyance.

From the above, we have a word like public transit which is the same as public transportation.

The problem is that rapid, being an adjective, meaning fast or characterized with high speed, should not come in between ' bus transit'.

Bus Transit simply explains the means of transportation and 'rapid' should come first.It should be:Rapid Bus Transit

I am a product of a public secondary school in Lagos State and since this acronym ,BRT, is known all over Lagos and even seen as a noble model worthy of emulation by other states in Nigeria, I feel compelled to point this out.

Please feel free to air your opinion and I sincerely wish someone somewhere will bring this to the attention of Governor Raji Fashola.

Thanks.
Re: Bus Rapid Transit(BRT):Grammatical Error by FRR1: 1:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
In literature, there is something called Poetic Licence. Sometimes, when acronyms are being coined, strict grammatical rules might be overlooked in favour of simplicity and ease of usage. Bus Rapid Transit...Rapid Bus Transit...May be the author of the acronym wanted to arrange the words in alphabetical order. Somehow, it sounds better. BRT against RBT...This is poetic licence...Trust me the guys who coined this name are very literate to understand the order in which words are arranged in english language. Cheers.
Re: Bus Rapid Transit(BRT):Grammatical Error by ossyme(m): 1:17pm On Mar 06, 2013
Making mistakes can come from the best literate minds and this does not make it acceptable.
The guys who coined the acronym might have simply copied it from somewhere.
The fact that we are used to BRT does not make it sound simpler or sweeter.
RBT can still be adopted.
Re: Bus Rapid Transit(BRT):Grammatical Error by jagabanban: 5:17pm On Mar 06, 2013
The concept of BRT actually started in Brazil in 1974 and it was known as Ônibus rápido de trânsito (Rapid Bus Transit when translated to English rom Portuguese). However, the acronym BRT was adopted. Most people that are not familiar with this history tend to think it means Bus Rapid Transit, which it actually does if you do a literal translation.

So, adoption of the acronym BRT is really out of convenience and not necessarily to achieve any grammatical or literary correctness.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Boy Who Believed He Could Walk On Water / 15th Dec 2014 [a Horror Story] / My Election Day Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.