Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,261 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. (836 Views)

When Your Best Friend Turns You Down During Exams (pix) / How To Pass Mathematics In Exams On Your Own / Would You Help Your Children To Cheat In Exams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 07, 2013
Hey Nerds, cheesy

Am not sure about this but..
Do you really think writing "e.t.c" after listing a set of items in an exam right or wrong?

For me, i feel since it is an exam, it ought not to be..
Let us know what you feel.

Thanks! cheesy
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 07, 2013
how is it wrong?
the examiner or marker would definitely know what you're saying except if he's way too ignorant which rules him out from being a marker anyway

on a second thought, except you wanna write et cetera, then go on.
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
joeydozzy: how is it wrong?
the examiner or marker would definitely know what you're saying except if he's way too ignorant which rules him out from being a marker anyway

Writing e.t.c for me i think is wrong in an exam, cos this is an exam where you are expected to put down everything you know about a particular something.
Now, writing "e.t.c" for an examiner shows you are kinda telling the examiner to figure out the rest.. which aint supoosed to be..
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
staicey: Writing e.t.c for me i think is wrong in an exam, cos this is an exam where you are expected to put down everything you know about a particular something.
Now, writing "e.t.c" for an examiner shows you are kinda telling the examiner to figure out the rest.. which aint supoosed to be..
makes sense , but I still don't find anything wrong with etc. Anyway to avoid a bad correction I don't use that.
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by DrAyo1(m): 10:23pm On Mar 07, 2013
If you have written quite a good number of examples, then writing it isn't bad, otherwise it would look inappropriate.
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 07, 2013
I think its wrong to write 'etc' on an exam. Most professors would put a question mark on that abbreviation, thinking your answer is incomplete.
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
CFCfan: I think its wrong to write 'etc' on an exam. Most professors would put a question mark on that abbreviation, thinking your answer is incomplete.
that's true
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 07, 2013
CFCfan: I think its wrong to write 'etc' on an exam. Most professors would put a question mark on that abbreviation, thinking your answer is incomplete.

Exactly and thank you!
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 07, 2013
staicey:

Exactly and thank you!

You are welcome, dear. Also, it's usually advisable to give the full meaning of an abbreviation, when writing it for the first time in an essay.
For eg, "The Federal Bureau Of Investigation (F.B.I.)...."

1 Like

Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
Dr. Ayo:
If you have written quite a good number of examples, then writing it isn't bad, otherwise it would look inappropriate.
You mean after listing a set of items in an exam and not ending it with etc makes your work look inappropriate? please, i beg to differ.
this is an exam, here you are given all the time to put down what you know..
writing etc is like giving the examiner some parts of your questions to answer for you. You can set your work thus:

mango, oranges, apples, pawpaws and pears..

NOTE: You can only add "and" when you are satisfied with the answers you have given your examiner and sure this would earn you your marks

1 Like

Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 11:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
staicey: You mean after listing a set of items in an exam and not ending it with etc makes your work look inappropriate? please, i beg to differ.
this is an exam, here you are given all the time to put down what you know..
writing etc is like giving the examiner some parts of your questions to answer for you. You can set your work thus:

mango, oranges, apples, pawpaws and pears..

NOTE: You can only add "and" when you are satisfied with the answers you have given your examiner and sure this would earn you your marks
1000 Likes cool
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 07, 2013
CFCfan:

You are welcome, dear. Also, it's usually advisable to give the full meaning of an abbreviation, when righting it for the first time in an essay.
For eg, "The Federal Bureau Of Investigation (F.B.I.)...."

correcto!
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
CFCfan:
1000 Likes cool

gracias!
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 07, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: makes sense , but I still don't find anything wrong with etc. Anyway to avoid a bad correction I don't use that.

yeah, that is what everyone tries to avoid and since you have said this, in other words you are saying its wrong adding the "etc" word.

BEWARE OF THE "E.T.C" WORD IN EXAMS, IT COULD REDUCE YOUR SUPPOSED 10GRADES TO A 9 cool
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Nobody: 1:32am On Mar 08, 2013
staicey: Writing e.t.c for me i think is wrong in an exam, cos this is an exam where you are expected to put down everything you know about a particular something.
etc or no etc, lecturers do not dwell much on it. they stress on abbreviations a lot though

you writing so many items off a huge list with an 'and'between the last two doesn't make you different from one who wrote etc citing there are more examples. you'll get the same scores with same composition
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by Blackteeth(m): 1:49am On Mar 09, 2013
staicey:

yeah, that is what everyone tries to avoid and since you have said this, in other words you are saying its wrong adding the "etc" word.

BEWARE OF THE "E.T.C" WORD IN EXAMS, IT COULD REDUCE YOUR SUPPOSED 10GRADES TO A 9 cool

I dont agree with you. If you use it properly it is no problem. It is only wrong in a situation where you were asked for instance to list 5 things and you only listed 3 and added "e.t.c".
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by greatgod2012(f): 8:18am On Mar 09, 2013
^^.....you are right.
When d examiner asks for a specific number of points like 10points and you only write some point like 8points and add "etc".........d examiner will assume you dont know all that was asked and cut your score accordingly.
But in a situation where there is no specific number required by d examiner, and there are several points or examples to give, you can add "etc" after writing out d points you can remember, it enables d examiner to know that you know they are more than what you just listed and you get your full mark.......for example, look at this question.......
"what is nairaland?........ Mention some members you have seen their monikers"......now, to answer this question, after defining nairaland, can you now go on to list all over million members of nairaland........definately no, what you do is that, after mentioning d ones you can recollect, you add e.t.c., to enable d examiner know that the members are actually more than what you have listed.

Another example is d one you used above, d fruits, no one can authoritatively say he/she knows all d fruits in d world, so, if an examiner akes you to list examples of fruits you know,without specification of numbers, it is apprpriate to write e.t.c, to enable d examiner know that fruits are more than what you listed, writing "and" shows that, you have exhaused all d fruits available, which most of d time not possible.
May God help us all.

P.S.......this is my field, im an educationist, so, i know what im saying.
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by k2039: 9:29am On Mar 09, 2013
joeydozzy: how is it wrong?

[size=13pt]@ the bolded grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I wonder how it's wrong. I can as well list examples on a particular question that will generate 10 extra sheets, especially when I intend to impress the lecturer. When I use e.t.c I'm only letting the lecturer know there are more examples.

On second thought, some lecturers also use 'e.t.c' in class, so I doubt if there is anything wrong in referring him to consult Google and other materials also.

On third thought, I have lecturers who love you to give them your answers as it is in their note, it's only logical that I will write exactly what he wrote in the note including his 'e.t.c'
[/size]
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by greatgod2012(f): 10:23am On Mar 09, 2013
k2039:
[size=13pt]@ the bolded grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I wonder how it's wrong. I can as well list examples on a particular question that will generate 10 extra sheets, especially when I intend to impress the lecturer. When I use e.t.c I'm only letting the lecturer know there are more examples.

On second thought, some lecturers also use 'e.t.c' in class, so I doubt if there is anything wrong in referring him to consult Google and other materials also.

On third thought, I have lecturers who love you to give them your answers as it is in their note, it's only logical that I will write exactly what he wrote in the note including his 'e.t.c'
[/size]

my brother, how have you been? Quite an age, how is studies?, miss you!
Re: Writing "E.t.c" In Exams.. by k2039: 10:29am On Mar 09, 2013
greatgod2012:
my brother, how have you been? Quite an age, how is studies?, miss you!
Books are fine, School is fine (except for stress). I missed everyone, nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Neco Release 2012 Nov/dec Gce Results! / Professional Courses For Life Sciences / No Work No Pay- Solution To Asup,ASUU Strike.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.