Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

School Fees In Nigeria: How Expensive Are They? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / School Fees In Nigeria: How Expensive Are They? (4851 Views)

Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? / Amosun Reduces Fees In Oguntertiary Schools / Tuition Fees In Nigeria Private Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

School Fees In Nigeria: How Expensive Are They? by Ndipe(m): 1:30am On Mar 22, 2008
I was browsing on the internet when I saw the school fees for one school in Lagos or thereabout. Outrageously expensive. http://www.lekkibritishhigh.com/lbihs/schoolfees.asp

Now, when I hear that Nigerians are doing well economically, are people factoring in the high school fees which would set you back financially? One guy who has a professional relationship with Mobil was complaining of his son's school fees. My cousin confirmed that his parents paid either 300 thousand Naira a year (or a semester) per person. So, now I am questioning the wisdom of educating your kids in Nigeria, when you can simply enroll them here in America, for just a fraction. I am not being insensitive please, but a lady on Nairaland raised up the dilema of either educating her kids in Nigeria or abroad.

Nna, by the time you finish paying fees in Nigeria, e be like say you no get money chop garri.
Re: School Fees In Nigeria: How Expensive Are They? by bigbumper(f): 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2008
These schools mainly cater to children of Diplomats, Politicians and the like, hence the reason for the exhorbitant school fees. They are paying for the peace of mind that they can educate their children closer to home.

Given the choice of educating my offsprings between either Nigeria, US or anywhere in UK, I would give the UK a wide berth (unless I can get them into a good catholic school or go private), I would then be left with the option of either remaining in Nigeria, or moving to the US to educate my children and the bottom line is that you have to consider that not everyone is ready to move to another country because of their children's education.

But then having attended one of these so called "private schools" in Nigeria, whose school fees currently stands at 750,000 per term, it was a waste of my time and my parent's money. As the first set, it was expected naturally that we would pass our GCSE and needless to say, I failed. The quality of teaching was horrendous, and I left secondary school knowing less than I did in primary school, and with a passionate hatred of COBOL, FORTRAN or anything to do with computing.
Re: School Fees In Nigeria: How Expensive Are They? by Ndipe(m): 7:54pm On Mar 22, 2008
Not everyone is ready to move to another country for their children's education?

Well, for me, I think I would move. Right now, I am in a conundrum on either to live in the USA permanently or move back to Nigeria. While I miss and love Nigeria tremendously, the education back home leaves little to be desired. There is so much stress for kids to pass their external examinations which could be marred by ethnic differences. Out here in yankee, a less than stellar grade in your SAT exams does not rule you from enrolling at a junior college for your Associate degree. I like the vast opportunities out here, but I miss home. Tough to make a healthy balance.

(1) (Reply)

Photos From Ambrose Alli University 2013 Hall Week / 10 Most Surprising Facts That Really Happened / Dubai Has Just Built The Largest Observation Wheel In The World. Super Awesome.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.