Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? (17712 Views)

Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG / "UNIOSUN Students Invested Their Fees In MMM, They Must Pay N2bn Debt" - VC / Babcock University Students Protest Increase Of Fees Via Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by fattbabakay(m): 9:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
The third edition of the Nairaland interschool debate competition is no news, so we can drive straight into our destination's parking spot.

Thus is the official thread for the essay submission of Team 5 members.

Being more illustrative, members of team 5, that is, KSU, UNIZIK, AAUA and AUCHI Polytechnic will be submitting their arguments on the topic "Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities is necessary for a better educational standard", right on this thread.

Supporting the motion - KSU and AAUA
Opposing - UNIZIK and AUCHI POLYTECHNIC

Judges : Xynerise, Jarus
Coordinator: MizMyColi
Date: 29th December
Time: 4pm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 10:16pm On Dec 23, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Here are the rules guiding Nairaland Interschool debate third edition Essay submission.

1.) All Participants who want to represent her citadel must declare his/her availability on this thread a day before the stipulated date for the essay submission.

2.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is the default colour (black).

3.) The essay should be in maximum of 1200 words and a minimum of 800 words.

4.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

5.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

6.) All essays must be submitted on the stipulated date and time...
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 10:48pm On Dec 23, 2015
Please while the submission of the essay is going on, only the contestants, coordinators, Chairman and Supermods (if need be) can post.

Pls let's comply, as defaulters might attract 2 hours ban (duration of the essay submission).

You can however comment simultaneously at the planning/Chatroom thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/2446965/nairaland-interschool-debate-chatroom-third/16

Thank you.

Submission starts by 4pm and ends 8pm on Tuesday.

Come and witness the mother of all e-Essay Competition on the biggest Section of the biggest online forum in Africa..
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2015
Cc: MizMyColi
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Joejonah(m): 7:38pm On Dec 28, 2015
Booked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 7:39pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joejonah:
Booked!

Which school?
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Joejonah(m): 7:41pm On Dec 28, 2015
Good day the owner of this wonderful forum, the coordinators of the debate, our unbiased judges, efficient moderators and super moderators, my erudite Co debaters, fellow nairalanders, students present, ladies and gentlemen.

My name is jeojonah, the first representative of Auchi polytechnic, Auchi and I write to oppose the motion which states that “increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities is necessary for better educational standard”, with the points outlined below.

There is no correlation between the amount you pay and the quality/standard you get in this our Corruption sick governmental establishment. The above statement is prompted by the current monetary mismanagement in this country, so increasing the tuition fee will just be a plot and conspiracy to enrich the academic board of the institution and anyone that doubts this should write for the expenditure of monies realized from the fuel subsidy removal in 2012 as the said little fee being paid for our academics could be likened/referred to as being subsidized. It will be a weakeness on our part forgetting why 10 higher institutions in Nigeria is currently being probed by EFCC.

The facilities in our institutions, is it being utilized to its greatest efficiency? I believe ‘’No’’ will be the answer anyone that genuinely passed through the four walls of our institutions will give. And this is the major thing that must be put in place if standard is to be mentioned; the morals of our lecturers, their attitude to work, their passion to impact knowledge, the need to better our darling nation Nigeria. And it's very unfortunate that any of this can't be related to tuition fee the students are paying but government policies. Increase in standard is a product of the personality involved not the amount you pay to get it, hence high standard education are not bought by students but earned. This left me wondering how increased tuition fee will stop our corrupt lecturers from compromising standards by allowing "blocking" to eat deep into them.

Taking it to economic implications, in a country where the minimum wage is N18,000 / month and an average Nigerian will have to accumulate as much as two months’ salary to pay for the current tuition of just a child in the University and some have up to four children to train at a time. This is why I concluded that if the fees are hiked in an attempt to raised standard as being supported by my opponent, is nothing but a plot to economically stratify most Nigerian (the poor) of the benefits of education.

Nigeria as a developing country, increasing the tuition fee to maintain standard of education will lead to increased drop-outs, loss of opportunity for education, irregular attendance to school and absenteeism by students, exposure to rape and crimes as many students will move out of the school hostel to off campus, others will skip classes to cut cost, Some will combine schooling and doing odd jobs and minimum attention will be paid to studies, hence poor academic performance sets in. Many will be unable to buy text books because of increased fees, no proper power supply to research the Internet; this makes it difficult for students to study when they want. I am wondering the monetary standard that can curb all these menace.
Students will resort to vices In order to cope in the face of fee increased. Many females will go into prostitution, males will go into robbery. These conditions will lend breath to failure in examinations.

I want to quickly add that it is laughable to say that the schools in Europe, United States and other developed countries that offer tuition free education at all levels to its citizens are of less standard, because they choose to practice "education for all" (EFA). This singular act has not only improved their educational structure but reduced illiteracy, crime, and unproductiveness to its minimal level. Continuous increase of tuition fee in our own part will allow Nigeria develop newest acronym "education for the rich" (EFR).

On this note, I want to say that anyone arguing that the tuition fee should be increased for better educational standard in Nigeria, should not be listen to, except maybe the standard we are talking about is to make Nigerian University an association of the rich which I strongly believe it's not.

I hope these few of the numerous reasons why increments of tuition fee in Nigerian Universities will not help in improving standard will convince and shot the thought away from our Hearts.

References

Effect teachers/lecturers has in maintaining standard: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/mar/10/improve-schools-leave-teachers#img-1

Ways to improve educational standard
http://www.edutopia.org/big-ideas-better-schools

Countries offering tuition free education: http://www.study-domain.com/tuition-free-universities-in-finland-germany/

http://europe.graduateshotline.com/free-education.html

Tuition free education
Www.wikipedia.com

Impact of increased fee on University students in Nigeria education, by Dr. (Mrs). Nkechi J. okolie. Merit research journal. February, 2015.
http://www.meritresearchjournals.org/er/content/2015/February/Okoli.pdf

The rational behind increased fee
http://thenationonlineng.net/the-tuition-fee-issue/

8 Likes

Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Shynaboy1: 8:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
Without any prejudice, it is pertinent to frame up an introductory foundation that one of the leading causes of poor educational standard in Nigeria is inadequate funding of most Nigerian universities. Apart from the undiluted fact that standard infrastructural facilities use to be a moral booster for students, the colossal amount in form of salaries to lecturers will put them in a good frame of mind to teach the students in toto and clarify every grey area in their discipline with the view that the amount is justifiable and commesurable when the former and the latter are being juxtaposed.

Mr Chairman, the meticulous Chief Judge, indefatigable panel of judges, accurate time keeper, distinguished co-debaters, ladies and gentlemen. I am Shynaboy, a student of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba who will be swinging his interlocutory pendulum to the supportive side of the motion "INCREASE IN TUITION FEES IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES IS NECESSARY FOR BETTER EDUCATIONAL STANDARD".

Unequivocally, it will be sacrosant to define the words. "Tuition fee" according to the Oxford Advanced Learners' dictionary is "the money that you pay to be taught especially in a college or university". "Education" according to the same source "is the process of teaching, training and learning especially in colleges to improve knowlege and develop skills. Going by this definitions, Educational Standard can be seen as the level of quality in teaching, learning and training to improve knowlege and develop skills. This qualitative training can not be gotten anywhere on a silver platter. In other words, quality in education can only be improved with sustainable funds on ground. However, let us look at some salient points to back up the argument.
First and foremost, the increment of tuition fees in Nigerian universities will assist the government in improving not only the infrastructures but also the apparatuses needed in these moribund universities. As widely known, the government alone can not do everything and if that is the case, an increment in tuition fees alongside government's contribution will augur well in improving educational standard.

Furthermore, the jeopardy of non-payment of lecturers' salaries will be exterminated if this motion is actually embraced. The popular quote "an hungry man is an angry man" comes to play in this regard because even when compelled to do so, an angry man will never give you what you deserve. In comparison to international scene where better educational standard exists, Nigerian lecturers payment are meagre.

Finally, an increment in tuition fees will make degree more valuable. Also it would bring out the seriousness in the students. The "increase in tuition fee" thought will also serve as a motivating factor to the students in the course of their academic journey. This will however improve educational standard in Nigeria.

Before closing the chapter of my argument, I will like to give you an analogy as to why tuition fees should be increased. It is indeed very sad that no Nigerian university was among the top 100 universities in the world, neither is any among the top 10 in Africa. Looking at other countries with standard education, Harvard and Cambridge universities' fees ranges at §47,600 U.S dollar and £38,283 respectively which sums up to a large amount of money when converted to Naira. It is without doubt that increased payment of fees in this universities has improved tremendously their educational standard.

In conclusion, it is necessary to affirm that university education in Nigeria can only be standardized if and only if there is an increment in tuition fees.

REFERENCES
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tuition-payments
debatewise.org/debates/723-tuition
oxford advanced learners' dictionary
www.ukcisa.org.uk
www.thefreedictionary.com/tuition.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by ehisdan(m): 8:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
Good day the creator of this Forum, the moderator, panel of judges, my co-debaters and fellow nairanders viewing this thread at home.

My name is Ehisdan an electrical/electronic student of Auchi polytechnic, Auchi. I am writing to oppose the notion ‘’Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities is necessary for a better educational standard’’.

I start my opposition by first explaining the sentences ‘’tuition fee and educational standard. ‘’Tuition fees are charged by educational institutions in some countries to assist with funding of staff and faculty, course offerings, laboratory equipment, computer systems, libraries, facility up keep and to provide a comfortable student learning experience’’. While educational standard define the knowledge and skills students should possess in their educational carrier. I believe with this explanation many will support that there is a need for tuition fee increment forgetting the word ‘’assist’’. Since the fee is to assist the necessary body or board in charge of education why should there be hike on the fee? In other countries of the world tuition fee increment is a little addition to its original amount while in Nigeria it is a hike. In most countries, especially non-English-speaking countries, there are no or only nominal tuition fees for all forms of education, including university and higher education which is the pivot of this debate. To back up my stand, are few of the many points outlined below:

Corruption: Nigeria has been so drown in corruption that nothing is worth writing good for/about the country. Corruption has affected the way funds are allocated within the national/state budgets diverting expenditures from education to high kickback areas thereby using hike in tuition fee to cover up. Former EFCC chairman, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, at Babcock University convocation ceremony, acknowledged that education is our destiny in the journey towards freedom and progress, but as reality of our nation has shown he warned: “If we do not build this project of education on the important values of honesty, transparency and accountability, education itself can become a rapacious, self-consuming monster that nurtures nightmarish visions”. He revealed that Nigeria has spent over N1.1 trillion on education in the past five years – “a whopping budget that appears to have deepened more private pockets than any national institution”. If Government money can be embezzled what do you think will happen to the money gotten from the masses? So increment of tuition fee will only be to enrich to pocket of some certain people in power.

Financial barriers to education impact: merit and desire to education should determine who goes to the university, when the ability to pay becomes a deciding factor, then our country loses the chance to benefit from the skills and capabilities of its citizens. Many are on the streets that are supposed to be on the four walls of our tertiary institution but are unable due to high tuition fee. The first decade after independence, there was free-flowing access to education at all levels – primary, secondary and tertiary (university specifically) and the standard of education was very much ok. My mathematics lecturer, who happens to be a beneficiary of this free education in his cause of lecture once, told us that the standard of education in Nigeria has gone down the lane. He said and I quote: ‘’this is not school you people are attending, during our time everything was in order, well composed by the government, when corruption has not Crip into the government of this country. We were taking three times free meal a day, the government is the one providing our textbooks and notebooks and everything needed to standardise education were readily made available by the government’’. Then I said to myself will this ever happen again, all these were possible without assistant of tuition fee. Now that there is assistant through tuition fee everything has turn upside down. Which means if tuition fee is increased more than what it is now the education system in Nigeria University will totally fall apart.

Tuition fee increment is not what universities in Nigeria need for standard education but government proper agenda toward the standard of tertiary institution: Education of this country should be the responsibility of the government, especially at the University level by providing the necessary needs for better educational standard in the country. This is the only way the education sector in the country can grow and compete with other countries of the world. If it’s swerved to tuition fee, a good standard will never be attained because the higher the fee the lower the number of people who can afford it.

High tuition fee is not a determinant of better educational standard: Countries like Finland, Austria, France, Germany, to mention but few have a better educational standard compared to Nigeria, their tuition fee is low. Another example is some of the universities and polytechnics in Nigeria whose tuition fee is low yet their academic standard is better than that of the universities whose tuition fees are high, the likes of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), University of Benin (UNIBEN), Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi, and University of Ibadan (UI). These are the best Universities and polytechnic in Nigeria yet their tuition fee is at the lower rate.

Education is a right not a privilege: high tuition fee in the name of a better educational standard will prompt education to be a privilege in which only the rich will be able acquire it. In 1977 the government of Nigeria declared that education is an instrument of national development. If cost of acquiring this instrument is a burden on the people of the country and only the rich are able to overcome it how then will the country develop? The need for low tuition fee is very necessary so that there will be equality of educational acquisition.

Having written all these, I draw the cotton of closure for the time being, with believe in my heart that I have bring to your understanding the reasons why ‘’Increase in tuition fees in Nigeria universities is not necessary for a better educational standard’’
Thank you.

References
Vanguardngr.com -- boosting access to education
Policynote.ca
Education.stateuniversity.com
Dictionary.reference.com

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by MizMyColi(f): 11:16am On Dec 29, 2015
Good Morning Debaters and Guests.

I will be standing in for Fatkay.

We enjoin every debater to please make their presence known as soon as possible.

Thank yousmiley
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by MizMyColi(f): 11:31am On Dec 29, 2015

Representing KSU, we call on
promisechild
CashZamani
Mcmooneyy

Representing UNIZIK, We beckon on
UNIZIK
DarqChild
Talius

Representing AAUA, We holla at
Ayomitide77
abeloureal
hyedee

Kindly come in and take your hallowed seatssmiley
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by MizMyColi(f): 11:33am On Dec 29, 2015
Just Before They Come In...
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Shynaboy1: 12:05pm On Dec 29, 2015
MizMyColi:

Representing KSU, we call on
promisechild
CashZamani
Mcmooneyy

Representing UNIZIK, We beckon on
UNIZIK
DarqChild
Talius

Representing AAUA, We holla at
Ayomitide77
abeloureal
hyedee

Kindly come in and take your hallowed seatssmiley
I've contacted both the participants of AAUA and NISD that I wnt to be part of the train. So I'll submitting for AAUA. Can I go on?
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 12:07pm On Dec 29, 2015
Shynaboy1:

I've contacted both the participants of AAUA and NISD that I wnt to be part of the train. So I'll submitting for AAUA. Can I go on?

The time is 4pm sir.
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by MizMyColi(f): 12:35pm On Dec 29, 2015
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1044385_KSU_jpg642805728376ca305a03dee7120bd01f

Kogi State University (KSU), located at Anyigba, is the University of Kogi State, Nigeria. It was established in 1999 by Prince Abubakar Audu, the former governor of the state. At the time of its establishment, it was known as Kogi State University, It was named Prince Abubakar Audu University(PAAU) in 2002 and later renamed Kogi State University in 2003(KSU).

Knowledge For Self Reliance is KSU philosophy and her Vice Chancellor is Professor Hassan Salihu Isah.
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Shynaboy1: 12:36pm On Dec 29, 2015
Fynestboi:

The time is 4pm sir.
noted
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by MizMyColi(f): 12:59pm On Dec 29, 2015
Next on the list is:

Nnamdi Azikiwe University,Awka popularly known as UNIZIK is a Federal University in Nigeria. Its main campus is located in the southeastern part of Nigeria in Anambra State's capital, Awka, and a second campus is at Nnewi. It is one of twenty-five federal universities which are overseen and accredited by the National Universities Commission. Nnamdi Azikiwe University came into being as an offshoot of the defunct Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH).

Her slogan goes thus “Discipline, Self Reliance and Excellence” and her Vice Chancellor is Professor Joseph E Ahaneku

2 Likes

Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by MizMyColi(f): 1:16pm On Dec 29, 2015
We also have on the list,

The story of Ondo State University, now Adekunle Ajasin University, is more appropriately told in two phases. It was first established as Obafemi Awolowo University in March 1982 by the government of the old Ondo State, headed by the late Chief Michael Adekunle Ajasin. The immediately succeeding military government of Navy Commodore Michael Bamidele Otiko changed its name to Ondo State University in 1985. Its relocation to Akungba Akoko in the new Ondo State became imperative in 1999, following the creation of a new State out of the old Ondo three years earlier in October 1996. The bill backing the relocation was signed into law by the then Governor of the State, Chief Adebayo Adefarati, in November 1999, and that prompted the movement of a crop of workers from the old site in Ado-Ekiti to Akungba Akoko on 1 December 1999. The bill for yet another name change, this time to Adekunle Ajasin University, in order to immortalise the late Governor Ajasin, was signed into law by Governor Adefarati in 2004 following the demise of the former. The amended and subsisting statute of the University was signed into law in November 2007 by yet another governor, the former Governor Olusegun Agagu. In these circumstances, it can rightly be said that while the history of AAUA started in 1982, its relocation on 5 November 1999 marked the beginning of the second phase of its history now in its present location, Akungba Akoko. AAUA has a centre for Reseach and Development (CRD). Research is the main work of this Centre.

Motto: For Learning And Service

Vice Chancellor: Professor Igbekele Amos Ajibefun
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by MizMyColi(f): 1:31pm On Dec 29, 2015
And finally we have,

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3237967_auchipoly_jpy_jpeg04de7d0dbe53899f05e413345b3601fa

Auchi Polytechnic was founded in 1964, first, as a technical college which was a gift of the British government to the then Midwestern Region. The extant law establishing it assigned to the institution the task of producing well trained and highly skilled middle level manpower for the national economy in the areas of Engineering, Applied Sciences and Technology, Environmental Studies, Management Studies and Art and Industrial Design. In 1994, the Federal Government took over the Polytechnic from the Edo State Government.

Rector: Dr (Mrs) Philipa O. Idogho and the institution slogan - Hands and Brain for Development
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 4:02pm On Dec 29, 2015
You are good to go... You have just one hour to unveil your essay.
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by ehisdan(m): 4:05pm On Dec 29, 2015
Fynestboi:
You are good to go... You have just one hour to unveil your essay.
Which means between now till 5pm
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 4:06pm On Dec 29, 2015
Your time starts now... smiley 4-5
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 4:10pm On Dec 29, 2015
I believe our wonderful judges are on standby.

Jarus
Xynerise. smiley

1 Like

Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by ehisdan(m): 4:11pm On Dec 29, 2015
Fynestboi:
Your time starts now... smiley 4-5
May God help us
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 4:12pm On Dec 29, 2015
ehisdan:
Which means between now till 5pm

Yes sir...
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Aminat508(f): 4:18pm On Dec 29, 2015
cool cool
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by MizMyColi(f): 4:24pm On Dec 29, 2015
smiley
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Jarus(m): 4:47pm On Dec 29, 2015
increasing the tuition fee will just be a plot and conspiracy to enrich the academic board of the institution and anyone that doubts this should write for the expenditure of monies realized from the fuel subsidy removal in 2012 as the said little fee being paid for our academics could be likened/referred to as being subsidized.

Jeojonah,

1, Kindly substantiate you claim that Academic Board of institutions have anything to do with finances of institutions.

2, Remind me of what academics has got to do with subsidy removal.

Thanks.
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 4:49pm On Dec 29, 2015
Jeojonah did you see that?
Re: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities:A better educational standard? by Fynestboi: 4:56pm On Dec 29, 2015
Hmmmmm one team from AAUA and Full rep from AUCHI POLYTECHNIC what happened to other team?

Well if they refuse to show up before 5pm, then that presupposes automatic disqualification.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Accuser Of Professor Akindele Has Refused To Come Forward" - OAU Management / Hijab: Kwara Shuts Baptist High School Over Crisis / What Do You Call This In English? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.