Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,650 members, 7,820,259 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Husband and Wife in the same Profession? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Husband and Wife in the same Profession? (10884 Views)

Pastor Catches Wife In Hotel With Choirmaster / Angry Wife Exposes Chat Messages Between Her Husband And Other Women!!! / Sex Secrets Of Nigerian Wife In The US Uploaded To Youtube (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by eniolatj(m): 1:28pm On Apr 28, 2005
To my own level of understanding, it's not good for husband and wife to be in the same profession. It has many disadvantages for example, If the husband is an Accountant and the wife also an Accountant, they will have not enough time to stay with their children and this may have negative impact on the children.

Let's take for example the case of a husband and wife that are both legal practitioners, and there was a case that involved two of them. The husband was to defend the his client who was charged to the court and wife was the government lawyer. The case almost destroyed their family because they were against each other.

In conclusion, it is not good for husband and wife to be in the same profession because it has many negative effects on their children and their family as a whole.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Seun(m): 4:39pm On Apr 28, 2005
Thanks for raising this interesting topic. We have a lot of married people browsing Nairaland, and I am sure they will be happy to contribute their opinions. Some of them will need to register and login before they can participate, and I'll like to implore them to take those steps. Registration only takes two minutes!

An anonymous visitor dropped this message for eniolatj:
[I]"... you have good points and I agree with you that husband and wife shouldn't be involved in the same profession."[/I]
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by diakim(m): 5:12pm On Apr 28, 2005
I agree with you eniolatj. It is not good for husband and wife to be in the same profession. Why?

1. Variety is sauce of life. It is more interesting and fun if both are in different profession.

2. If adverse economic or socio-political climate affects negatively one profession, the family can still survive through the order profession.

3. At least one of their children will practise their profession, making it worse.

4. It may lead to unhealthy rivalry/competition between the couple.

To cap it all, I know a couple friend who are both bank workers @ the same bank, but different branch. They are now jobless due to the present restructuring in the banking industry. They are now both jobless.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by tayotina(f): 5:55pm On Apr 28, 2005
In my own opinion, I think it is unwise for a husband and his wife to work with the same organisation. As diakim rightly said, variety is the spice of life. We work with different organisations, then exchange ideas later in the day. I brief you on what is going on in my company and you also do likewise.

I, personally, will not pray to be in the same profession with my husband. You can imagine a situation whereby a wife is being promoted to a position where her husband would have to report to her everyday.

And if the wife happens to be the rude type, I am very sure at the slightest provocation, she would not hesitate the remind her husband of that fact. And what do we call that? Would you rather destroy your home because of your work?
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Ra(f): 8:54pm On Apr 28, 2005
For starters, a husband and the wife can never handle the same case, as this will constitute what is commonly known as 'conflict of interests'.

Now, would I marry a legal practitioner? NO. Why? we'll talk each-other to death for one and we'll forever argue for another. However, it might actually be interesting as you share another common passion; your career.

Questions such as this are not exhausted with a yes/no answer. At the expense of sounding repetitive tonight, I dare say it again depends on what the parties want for themselves individually and collectively. Falling in love, STAYING in love and getting married to someone goes beyond these mundane issues. If he has to be a lawyer, so be it. As long as he's intresting, exciting, caring, loving, considerate and above all God fearing, it's all good, really.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Hunter(m): 9:48pm On Apr 28, 2005
I personally think the only real problem comes when they are at the same workplace, if i'm around someone that long I get sick of them so that would probably hurt the relationship somewhat...
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by dominobaby(f): 3:20pm On Apr 30, 2005
well, em........ being in the same profession with your spouse is not a bad idea. I think where there would be a real problem is a situation in which both work in same company and if the wife is not the humble type......... But, basically it all falls back to both couples, if you find it fun and convenient being in same profession fine. Remember also that some couples today met in same class, same profession, moreso there are families whereby the parents and children are all accountants, or engineers.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by kodewrita(m): 2:32pm On May 03, 2005
nothing bad about it other than the fact that they will drive their kids crazy with their occupational jargon (You need to be there when my cousins and my dad get together and start speaking in medical terms, they might as well be speaking in greek or urdu)

but if its a tasking profession that yakes them away from each other it might cause marital difficulties like doctors on call 24 hours or actors and actresses at different locations . if the wife outpaces the husband academically it might cause trouble in some homes.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Allenpowered(m): 6:54pm On May 19, 2005
Personally I don't think there is anything wrong in a husband and wife being in the same profession.Insomuch as there is understanding.I have seen cases of legal practioners married to legal practioners, doctors to doctors, teachers to teachers(don't laugh)...

For me the problem comes when both parties are arein very demanding jobs, then ne has to make time out for the running of the family day-to-da affairs. Anyhow, I don't think I would like to be in the same workplace with my spouse even if we are in the same profession cool
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Eresi(f): 11:30am On Jun 15, 2005
Workplace and profession are two different things and here, we are talking about profession. In the same profession, they can, so far the job is not too demanding like banking job that both would have to close late.

If they two are teachers, it 's okay. Variety is a spice of life, yes. They would still have varied ideas to discuss about. Things that happened in their various schools.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by IAH(f): 3:15pm On Jun 15, 2005
I see nothing bad in it as long as they are not working in the same office/organisation. As for me, I even prefer to marry someone in my field cos it's just da bomb.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Ra(f): 3:46pm On Jun 15, 2005
@IAH, am I allowed to ask what field that is? wink
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by IAH(f): 2:57pm On Jun 18, 2005
@Ra, Engineering. grin
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by dominobaby(f): 5:34pm On Jun 18, 2005
IAH:

@Ra, Engineering.  grin

a good guess IAH, could it be computer engineering?
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Greatpeter(m): 2:14pm On Jul 16, 2005
My dear people of Nairaland, let us get to this topic proper.
Are we talking of couples working in the organization? Tayotina mentioned that, while Eniolatj said same profession.

For couples working with same organization I will not subscribe to that.
But may I tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with couples being in the same profession for God's sake.
Let's get this clear, the reasons given above depends solely on the the profession they are.
Like someone said that if the two are to be accountant they might not have time for their children which will definitely have some effects on them - agreed.

But that doesn't out people from other profession to marry each other.
I've seen people who are in the same profession and are couples.
My former boss who worked with few years ago is medical doctor - gynecologist while his wife is medical doctor too - paediatrician. They are happily married, doing great.

Femi Falana an arduous lawyer, an activist married a lawyer. His wife was his counsel during Oputa panel. They are doing great. The money which suppose to go another man's pocket for defense was saved.

My father, a renowned educationist married a teacher which really helped us(we the children)and we are doing well education wise and finaciall things are much more better now. I can beat my chest for them they are great.

If I see anyone from my profession and if she's OK for why not?
That means I will run my Clinic with ease.

Profession is should not be a barrier to marriage.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by olaide07(f): 2:54pm On Jul 25, 2005
If its a professional job like medical Doctor,Legal practitional or banker and any other profession thats takes alot of your time so that you will have less time for the children i say no
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Flint(m): 7:27pm On Aug 03, 2005
I think Ra said it all by pointing out that when a couple is in love,professions doesn't matter.such mundane things pales into insignificance.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by hotangel2(f): 7:31pm On Aug 03, 2005
i think it's okay.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by DEKING3(m): 11:24am On Aug 04, 2005
For me it's okay but they should create time to talk about other things affecting them, especially the family.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by hotangel2(f): 12:05am On Aug 05, 2005
One more thing. They shouldn't try to make their children into what they are. Most parents that are of the same profession (mostly doctors, lawyers and those top people) always try to turn their kids into their kind. I think that's wrong.
(Editor: Continued under 'Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children')
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by gina34(f): 1:43pm On Aug 09, 2005
there is nothing wrong with it as long as they are not working in the same office.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by mide2(f): 6:48pm On Jan 01, 2006
For one, i don't buy the idea. I have always said it, i can't marry anybody in the same profession with me. Not even a similar profession. (e.g. medical professioners) We would just drive ourselves and others crazy with jagons. I rem my school days in the hostel, we talked about almost nothing else than medical jagons. Even if we talked about something else we would get a way of boiling it down it to something we've just learnt or seen in the hospital.

I'll like someone totally different.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by allonym: 7:01am On Jan 03, 2006
maybe lawyers and medical professionals are already crazy

I don't see how marrying another electrical engineer could possibly drive me crazy. I sometimes waste hours talking about some project or concept or idea with one of my best friends - same major, field, almost identical interests. . . I can't see how it would ever get to be too much.

I have family members who are married, same profession, and worked in the same organization. Since one was the founder, clearly the other worked underneath. I doubt they much problems with that arrangement.

I don't see how being in the same profession would affect time spent with children or housekeeping any more than being in different demanding jobs. Unless people are suggesting that one person be a lawyer and the other be a math tutor. . . there is going to be job combinations that would keep both partners away from the home at critical moments.

All the issues that were brought up should can be resolved by open minded clear thinking loving partners. If they are having major problems, the only issue I could see cropping up from working in the same place is that they take their arguments to work and it results in one or both of them getting fired.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by terdoo(m): 11:55am On Jan 11, 2006
It is absolutely wrong for both husband and wife to be in the same profession or carreer,

because they will not have the time for their children for example if both husband and wife

are doctors by profession you could imagine what the children will undergo, infact they will

not even have a single time for their chilrden.

The father may be oncall today then next the mother of which the parents are maent to

spend much of their time on the children istead of leaving the job for the hose girl to do.

I know that it is absolutley wrong for both of them to be in the same profession.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by obum(f): 5:15pm On Jan 13, 2006
well i dont like the idea of both being in the same office so..... pls put dat aside ok
i realy dislike it
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by prettyH(f): 5:31pm On Jan 13, 2006
allonym:

maybe lawyers and medical professionals are already crazy

I don't see how marrying another electrical engineer could possibly drive me crazy. I sometimes waste hours talking about some project or concept or idea with one of my best friends - same major, field, almost identical interests. . . I can't see how it would ever get to be too much.

I have family members who are married, same profession, and worked in the same organization. Since one was the founder, clearly the other worked underneath. I doubt they much problems with that arrangement.

I don't see how being in the same profession would affect time spent with children or housekeeping any more than being in different demanding jobs. Unless people are suggesting that one person be a lawyer and the other be a math tutor. . . there is going to be job combinations that would keep both partners away from the home at critical moments.

All the issues that were brought up should can be resolved by open minded clear thinking loving partners. If they are having major problems, the only issue I could see cropping up from working in the same place is that they take their arguments to work and it results in one or both of them getting fired.

Agree with u on this
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by allonym: 5:13am On Jan 17, 2006
terdoo:

It is absolutely wrong for both husband and wife to be in the same profession or carreer,

because they will not have the time for their children for example if both husband and wife

are doctors by profession you could imagine what the children will undergo, infact they will

not even have a single time for their chilrden.

The father may be oncall today then next the mother of which the parents are maent to

spend much of their time on the children istead of leaving the job for the hose girl to do.

I know that it is absolutley wrong for both of them to be in the same profession.

This is not correct. Personal and anecdotal evidence shows that both parents can be medical doctors and still find time for their children. Perhaps you don't have children yet, and thus cannot imagine what you would do for them.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by 2nde(m): 5:21am On Jan 17, 2006
I dont see anything wrong in that when you plan your life accordingly. It also depends on the kind of profession also. And what if they are in different professions and still dont have time for thier kids, of course a man can be doctor while the wife banker. It still mean the same cos they will not have time to stay at home that much.
Again, there is nothing you can do when you are both in love or would you say because my wife/husband is in the same profession with me, you wont date/marry him/her.
It's all left for both team to work things out, maybe by telling the wife to stay at home for some time, then later begin her work.
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Renike(f): 5:10am On Jan 18, 2006
i dont see anything wrong...infact, i fink it is pretty cool
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Rhodalyn(f): 12:29pm On Feb 06, 2006
Renike:

i don't see anything wrong...infact, i think it is pretty cool

do u reckon it's pretty cuul whn husby n wife start fighting 4 da same post @work 2ooo much competition
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by Renike(f): 5:38pm On Feb 09, 2006
Rhodalyn:

do u reckon it's pretty cuul whn husby n wife start fighting 4 da same post @work 2ooo much competition

i didnt mean dat exactly
i met a couple both are docs. the husband is a Pediatrician and the wife is an anesthesia doc. more like they work as a team, not argue.
We dont have to work in the same level or hospital.
so it's rather cool
Re: Husband and Wife in the same Profession? by allonym: 10:25am On Feb 17, 2006
Rhodalyn:

Well, this probably speaks to a problem with the people, not their jobs.

If they will fight someone just for a position at work, then even if they worked in different jobs, they would probably find something to fight about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Is The Right Time To Get Married? / 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! / Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.