Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,639 members, 7,820,237 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom (2104 Views)

Screaming Dead Girl Wakes Up From The Coffin But Later Died Again.(photos) / Check Out Beyonces Daughter Blue Ivy B.i.c / Beyonce Vs Kelly Rowland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by anonymous6(f): 10:49pm On Mar 09, 2013
“You know what I had great women in my life to help me overcome that. I remember I went through a period where I didn’t embrace my ‘chocolatiness.’ I don’t know if that’s a word, but I didn’t embrace my chocolate lifestyle. Just being a chocolate, lovely brown skin girl and being proud of that. I remember Tina Knowles, Bey’s mom and I remember being out in the sun and I was trying to shield myself from the sun and she said, ‘Are you crazy?’ She said ‘You are absolutely gorgeous’ and she just told me how beautiful I was and how rare chocolate is and how gorgeous the skin is, all of this stuff. And I was just like ‘Yeah!’ Like a light went off. So between her and my mother and then me sitting out in the sun a little more, just to be a little more chocolate. You just embrace it. You embrace everything that you are as a woman, even your flaws too,” Kelly told CNikky.com
http://bossip.com/739417/poor-thang-kelly-rowland-says-she-hated-her-dark-skin-color-until-beyonces-mom-helped-her-embrace-her-chocolatiness/#PBVcDltyMOh1Mulu.99

Re: Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by fr3do(m): 7:25am On Mar 10, 2013
because beyonce is light skinned.....complex
Re: Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by anonymous6(f): 2:35pm On Mar 10, 2013
fr3do: because beyonce is light skinned.....complex

It is sad actually because both are equally beautiful
Re: Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by onila(f): 2:48pm On Mar 10, 2013
what a dumb bitc..h
Re: Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by slimyem: 2:59pm On Mar 10, 2013
Its forgiveable especially since it happened when she was young and silly.Don't crucify her.Its just a story of how she came to love her skin.cool
We all pass through those times either as kids or young adults where we just need someone to make us realise how very special we are.cool

1 Like

Re: Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 10, 2013
onila: what a dumb bitc..h

grin grin

I remember Tina Knowles, Bey’s mom and I remember being out in the sun and I was trying to shield myself from the sun and she said, ‘Are you crazy?’ She said ‘You are absolutely gorgeous’ and she just told me how beautiful I was and how rare chocolate is and how gorgeous the skin is, all of this stuff. And I was just like ‘Yeah!’ Like a light went off.

AWESOME!
considering Bey's mom is an American Creole. Not all Creoles are light skinned but a lot of them are and they are literally the product of enslaved women and french aristocrats/slave owners. The mixed kids would marry each other creating a new ethnicity (much like CAPE VERDEANS). Back in the day mixed Creole/Quadroon people despised being called black. Now not so much.

Anyway, the point is Beyonce's mother comes from a group that once looked down on dark skin so for her to say that, it speaks volumes. smiley

1 Like

Re: Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by Oahray: 6:42pm On Mar 10, 2013
*dettol tune playing in background*

If Kails does not comment on this topic, who will?

Dettol... Feel good everyday.
Re: Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by fuckluv(f): 12:38pm On Mar 11, 2013
she for no embrace it,mtcheew
Re: Kelly Rowland Hated Her Dark Skin But Later Embraced It Because Of Beyonces Mom by anonymous6(f): 3:02pm On Mar 11, 2013
slimyem: Its forgiveable especially since it happened when she was young and silly.Don't crucify her.Its just a story of how she came to love her skin.cool
We all pass through those times either as kids or young adults where we just need someone to make us realise how very special we are.cool

MsDarkSkin:

grin grin

AWESOME!
considering Bey's mom is an American Creole. Not all Creoles are light skinned but a lot of them are and they are literally the product of enslaved women and french aristocrats/slave owners. The mixed kids would marry each other creating a new ethnicity (much like CAPE VERDEANS). Back in the day mixed Creole/Quadroon people despised being called black. Now not so much.

Anyway, the point is Beyonce's mother comes from a group that once looked down on dark skin so for her to say that, it speaks volumes. smiley

Both of you are right, I feel this is story that should be told to other beautiful dark skinned girls and women because for beyonce's mother to tell her that is very important and helps. To me that was a process Kelly Rowland had to go through to appreciate herself

(1) (Reply)

Are these Solidstar's Children??(picture) / Peter Okoye Finally Gets A Bottle Of World's Most Expensive Wine (photo) / Kenneth Okonkwo Brags About His Sexual Prowess, Says He Can Go For 24hrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.