Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

The Dangers Of Chewing Gum - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Chewing Gum (30192 Views)

Watch Your Cream For Hydroquinone.-(dangers Of Hydroquinone.) / The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water / What Are The Benefits Of Chewing Bitter Kola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by mysticgal(f): 6:23pm On Mar 11, 2013
i dont chew gum much,but when i do,its orbit mint.i just chew the sweetness off and throw it away.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Thevenine(m): 6:24pm On Mar 11, 2013
most gums...

Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Lero15(m): 6:28pm On Mar 11, 2013
Please tell Sir Alex Fergusson & Stephen Keshi
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by TableLeg(m): 6:28pm On Mar 11, 2013
Who is the idio..t that deleted my comment?
Who is the madman? angry
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Exponental(m): 6:29pm On Mar 11, 2013
Agbalumo (cherry) will now be expensive if all with chewing habits must continue.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by DePreacher1: 6:33pm On Mar 11, 2013
so y Man.U coach:Sir Alex neva get dos diseases now? [color=#990000][/color]
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by vislabraye(m): 6:35pm On Mar 11, 2013
I dey take baba blue anytime anyday. Make person no tell me say e get one tin because I no go gree.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 11, 2013
Common Ingredients of Gum:
• Sorbitol
• Gum Base
• Maltitol
• Mannitol
• Xylitol
• Artificial and 'Natural' Flavoring
• Acacia
• Acesulfame Potassium
• Aspartame
• BHT
• Calcium Casein Peptone-calcium­Phosphate
• Candelilla Wax
• Sodium Stearate
• Titanium Dioxide (so cancerous that external skin contact is enough)

all this many chemical compounds in #5 chewin gum, men they are cheap. Guess i can extract them out one by one and make more money
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by souleymon(m): 6:40pm On Mar 11, 2013
[size=18pt]Tell that to SIR ALEX FERGUSON[/size]
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by freecocoa(f): 6:43pm On Mar 11, 2013
Oh please! If Sir is still alive all these years then I won't die from chewing gum.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Reference(m): 6:43pm On Mar 11, 2013
REALITY101:

100000% bullshhiit

The first highlighted part is probably true. Even gums produced just ten years ago are different and the problem/quality appears to be worsening. The volume that naturally dissolves is next to zero these days and I've always suspected it was some artificial polymer. The bubble gums of those days were entirely ingestible.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by osifred(m): 6:47pm On Mar 11, 2013
Tell that to Sir Alex Ferguson
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by poweredcom(m): 6:52pm On Mar 11, 2013
greatgod2012: Chai! I love gums die, Lord, pls, help me, when im chewing, mehn, i concentrate seriously, all my loved ones know me, no one dare visit me without packing gums along, especially my hubby and my mum, can i stop chewing gum? I dont know, but i will give it a try, to start with, i have to call my mum, not to send that gum again, may be when its not with me, i might stop chewing it, but...mehn, i use it as a concentratin pill.........lol grin grin grin grin
May God help me.

That means u be ashewo....ooo na ashi dey chew gum like dick
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by mrofficial2(m): 6:52pm On Mar 11, 2013
I chew ORBIT. I always have it in my car. sad

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by jhydebaba(m): 6:54pm On Mar 11, 2013
bennynaza: so y isnt alex ferguson dead yet? Imagine nearly 30 yrs of chewing gum for 90mins evry wkend, 9months per year pls midweek champions league matches, plus maybe trainin days. Dats roughly 18,300 MINUTES of chewing gum! So why aint d old scot dead yet?
u might not be that lucky
undecided undecided
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by jjwaterfalls(f): 6:54pm On Mar 11, 2013
Thanks 4 d info. But u only talked abt direct absorption and the ingredients, u didn't explain its effects in the body.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by thorpido(m): 6:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
It can't be that bad.Some of the gums are good for the teeth and help to keep the mouth fresh.I think one should just get a sugar-free gum and also avoid the very cheap ones.Those ones wey dey be like rubber.Also don't swallow the gum.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by pendusky(m): 6:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
Sure Alex Ferguson has seen this!
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Confusion: 7:00pm On Mar 11, 2013
Biggyd2: Thanks for the info. Na im be say na agbalumo chin gum be the next level o! grin.
You made me laff but finally I think that the way forward, but u may have to describe agbalumo for those oyibo people

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Confusion: 7:01pm On Mar 11, 2013
the_ripper: Ferguson for don die since na.
Ferguson is chewing agbalumo
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Biggyd2: 7:11pm On Mar 11, 2013
Local Name: Agbalumo (Yoruba language) or Udara (Igbo language)

Botanical Name: Chrysophyllum albidum

The Chrysophyllum genus of plants consists of almost 80 different species of fruits all exclusively grown within the tropical region. African star apple (Udara) is a very popular fruit here in Nigeria. Its fleshy pulp is often eaten as a snack and it is equally common in both the urban and rural areas, particularly around Southern Nigeria. Being a seasonal fruit (produces during the dry season between December and April), it is currently in peak abundance flooding the market places and street walkways at about this time of the year. Now, allow me introduce you to some really good news about the nutritious load of Udara/Agbalumo goodness!

Beneficial healthy properties of Udara/Agbalumo (African Star Apple)

As with most fruits, it has low calorie because of its little fat content so it is definitely a healthy food.
It is a superb snack because its high fibre content provides food bulk which both increases satiety and aids digestion so it is very ideal for weight watchers.
It has a surprisingly decent amount of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Clearly, Vitamin C sources are not exclusive to the citrus fruits family- in fact, Guava has much more!
Recently published researches done here in Nigeria about Udara/Agbalumo leaves carried out on rats showed two possible medicinal uses:
It could serve as a natural source of Anti-Oxidant booster to remove free radicals from oxidative stress disorders, and
Its leaf extract contains Hypoglycemic (to treat Diabetes) and Anti-Platelet activities, although it also had toxic effects on some organs.

For Nutrient content per 100g edible Udara/Agbalumo pulp see article below

And here is our teaser to all home-grown Proudly-Naija folks: what is your fondest childhood memory of Udara/Agbalumo?

Enjoying it as your most sort-after childhood fruit chewing gum, or
Its rather useful seed used to play games or make beads?

http://hala-hi.org/2013/03/udara-agbalumo-interesting-health-benefits-of-african-star-apple-and-its-now-in-season/

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by slimyem: 7:21pm On Mar 11, 2013
I chew gum for confidence occasssionaly when i need the the "i don't care" air loud around mewink
I'm not gon stop.Na something go kill porsin!cool

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Jesuspikin87(m): 7:23pm On Mar 11, 2013
Uchenna42:

˚°ºU̶̲̥̅̊º°˚ arε̲̣̣̣̥ wetin....Gbagaun of †ђξ year!...pls who is U̶̲̅я english teacher?? grin

Your lettering is annoying. Please,Grow up.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Nobody: 7:31pm On Mar 11, 2013
I BEG NA LIE!!!
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Gboliwe: 7:36pm On Mar 11, 2013
ilelabola: The Dangers of Chewing Gum~

Originally, chewing gum was made from tree sap but today's commercial brands are loaded with harmful ingredients and chemicals.

The modern day chewing gums are made of four major ingredients including synthetic rubber, plastic, sugar, and coloring (dye). Modern day gums are produced from synthetic polymers such as styrene-butadie ­ne rubbers and polyvinyl acetate. The final product is composed of 60% sugar, 20% corn syrup, and only 20% actual gum material.

People do not typically swallow gum, so they pay very little attention to the ingredients. The assumption is that if it is not swallowed, then it is not a concern.

However, the ingredients in gum travel into the bloodstream faster and in higher concentrations than food ingredients, because they absorb straight through the walls of the mouth, and they do not undergo the normal filtration process of digestion.

Gum is typically the most toxic product in supermarkets that is intended for consumption, and it is likely to kill any pet that eats it. Commercial gum products contain roughly the same list of toxic ingredients, with differing labeling, which is virtually always designed to be deceptive.

• Sorbitol
• Gum Base
• Maltitol
• Mannitol
• Xylitol
• Acacia
• Acesulfame Potassium
• Aspartame
• BHT
• Calcium Casein Peptone-calcium ­Phosphate
• Candelilla Wax
• Sodium Stearate

In essence, Chewing gum is regarded as a harmless cultural tradition but chewing gum itself contains many ingredients that may be hazardous to our health.

http://dherbs.com/articles/dangers-of-chewing-gum-244.html
Saving this for my roomate. Thank you
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by cigaricon(m): 7:45pm On Mar 11, 2013
Oh gum!
I chew it for two reasons;
*To lighten up my mood: i love to be happy all the time so whenever i feel sad or angry, just a wrap of bubble gum brings me back to my happy mood (you cant chew gum with a gloomy or angry look, can you?)

*to drive away sleep: back in those days when i was in sec school, gum was what kept me all night long during exam periods lol
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 11, 2013
It is a bad as telling most women not to eat their food so what are u recommending for them in place of gum, is it bitter kola? then u can never be their friend.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by greatgod2012(f): 7:50pm On Mar 11, 2013
Uchenna42:

˚°ºU̶̲̥̅̊º°˚ arε̲̣̣̣̥ wetin....Gbagaun of †ђξ year!...pls who is U̶̲̅я english teacher?? grin

see somene wey dey ask for another person's English teacher....... I tire for you pple o.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by yohannanoma: 7:53pm On Mar 11, 2013
I like chewing gum but i have to surrender from now on if that is the effect.
Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by greatgod2012(f): 7:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
firetrap: with English as bad as yours, your far from saved

check out your own English!... ..its............"you are far from being saved", not d nonsense you typed up there.
May God help you.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Chewing Gum by Orikinla(m): 7:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
ilelabola: The Dangers of Chewing Gum~

Originally, chewing gum was made from tree sap but today's commercial brands are loaded with harmful ingredients and chemicals.

The modern day chewing gums are made of four major ingredients including synthetic rubber, plastic, sugar, and coloring (dye). Modern day gums are produced from synthetic polymers such as styrene-butadie ­ne rubbers and polyvinyl acetate. The final product is composed of 60% sugar, 20% corn syrup, and only 20% actual gum material.

People do not typically swallow gum, so they pay very little attention to the ingredients. The assumption is that if it is not swallowed, then it is not a concern.

However, the ingredients in gum travel into the bloodstream faster and in higher concentrations than food ingredients, because they absorb straight through the walls of the mouth, and they do not undergo the normal filtration process of digestion.

Gum is typically the most toxic product in supermarkets that is intended for consumption, and it is likely to kill any pet that eats it. Commercial gum products contain roughly the same list of toxic ingredients, with differing labeling, which is virtually always designed to be deceptive.

• Sorbitol
• Gum Base
• Maltitol
• Mannitol
• Xylitol
• Acacia
• Acesulfame Potassium
• Aspartame
• BHT
• Calcium Casein Peptone-calcium ­Phosphate
• Candelilla Wax
• Sodium Stearate

In essence, Chewing gum is regarded as a harmless cultural tradition but chewing gum itself contains many ingredients that may be hazardous to our health.

http://dherbs.com/articles/dangers-of-chewing-gum-244.html
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

604 New COVID-19 Cases, 246 Discharged And 10 Deaths On July 23 - (4145 Tested) / Enugu Designates Medical Diagnostic Centre As Isolation Centre (Pictures) / 8 Home Remedies To Solve Menstrual Cramps.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.