Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? (9215 Views)

Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? / Why Are Nigerian Not Traditionally Innovative? / Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Cine(m): 9:14pm On Mar 11, 2013
VillageBoi: Till today 'Festen (The celebration)' is one of my favourite films.

^^
It's a classic example of great screenwriting. Shows what you can do when shooting on even a 'rubbish' camera. 'Mifune's last song' and 'the idiots' are also brilliant dogme films.

I can sit down with my 7 yr old nephew and watch any Pixar film be it Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Cars, Up, Wall e, and we can both really enjoy them because the stories are just excellent on every level.

I'd love to see a City of God style movie made in the Lagos slums. A good Nigerian crime film, with the same socio political/historical subtext. Do we have the craftsmen and technicians to weave such a tale as expertly as the city of god: not yet. But am sure in time we will. I mean Phone Swap is a huge improvement on the unwatchable rubbish on African Magic.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 10:01pm On Mar 11, 2013
Cine:

^^
It's a classic example of great screenwriting. Shows what you can do when shooting on even a 'rubbish' camera. 'Mifune's last song' and 'the idiots' are also brilliant dogme films.

I can sit down with my 7 yr old nephew and watch any Pixar film be it Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Cars, Up, Wall e, and we can both really enjoy them because the stories are just excellent on every level.

I'd love to see a City of God style movie made in the Lagos slums. A good Nigerian crime film, with the same socio political/historical subtext. Do we have the craftsmen and technicians to weave such a tale as expertly as the city of god: not yet. But am sure in time we will. I mean Phone Swap is a huge improvement on the unwatchable rubbish on African Magic.

It's so funny you mentioned 'City Of God'... I always mention it in threads as the 'type' of films we should be aiming for, as well as, 'Slumdog Millionaire' types). Almost any country trying to copy Hollywood mega 'spaectacle' films will fail... as no one does it better than them or even has half that sort of money!
When we studied 'Festen' my eyes opened to the fact that we can make great stuff with whatever we have if we 'really want to'. Teehee @ 'The Idiots' grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by nitusa: 10:50pm On Mar 11, 2013
naves: This questions has been bothering me for some time now.

Most music video are better in location, camera resolution, graphics, creativity, storyline, plot etc than the home movies.

Why is this so/what could be the reason? or is it that the music video directors are better than the home video directors?

Pls, help me shed some light on this issue. . . .

Check this one out called "Hiiipower"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR92w1GDoT0
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by donclemo(m): 11:20pm On Mar 11, 2013
VillageBoi:
Not just Naija... practically every country has better music videos than feature films. Without breaking it down they are easier to make.
i wonder what movies you are watching
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 11:22pm On Mar 11, 2013
donclemo:
i wonder what movies you are watching

Care to say exactly what you mean because I didn't really understand the point you were trying to make?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Mar 11, 2013
VillageBoi:

Not really. Depends what you actually mean by 'better'. There is more to it than the basic sentence I wrote at the start of the thread. In the 'West' music videos are much better than feature films (we're talking high-end music videos). One of the reasons is - that is where a lot of new directors, producers and so on channel in a lot of creativity to showcase 'what they can do'. Music videos are also important 'calling cards'. Why because everyone wants to get into the big money world of 'feature films'. It is so much easier to throw everything in your arsenal into a 3-5min music video.

The music video world and the advertising world have a lot of the same players including highly creative people that put very serious thought into projects. Ok let's even remove music videos that can also be any rubbish bikini-booty bouncing to music. It is harded to make a (this is the keyword) 'brilliant' 30 sec, 60 sec ad or 3-5, 5-10 min short film than it is to make a feature film. Forget the visual 'quality' of feature films... there is a lot of stuff that we over-look and easily forgive during the 2hrs we spend watching the film... stuff that we will never forgive if it is in an ad, music video or short film.

I think you are just trying to play around with that. The best technology in video shooting and productions are used in the movies industry to produce the high quality movies. These are films with vast intensive production processes that gulp millions of dollars on equipment(Hollywood would come to mind). The music videos are cheap and rudimentary. There are no high budget plans put into such production, the reason the quality is usually poor and can be done by anybody with regular video cameras.

If you have visited movies studios before you would know what I am talking about. Many music videos are sometime awarded to some section of the movies production team,they will not put serious effort into them as movies. Music videos are not usually the high end budge production section of any the movie studio.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 12:28am On Mar 12, 2013
all4naija:
I think you are just trying to play around with that. The best technology in video shooting and productions are used in the movies industry to produce the high quality movies. These are films with vast intensive production processes that gulp millions of dollars on equipment(Hollywood would come to mind). The music videos are cheap and rudimentary. There are no high budget plans put into such production, the reason the quality is usually poor and can be done by anybody with regular video cameras.

If you have visited movies studios before you would know what I am talking about. Many music videos are sometime awarded to some section of the movies production team,they will not put serious effort into them as movies. Music videos are not usually the high end budge production section of any the movie studio.

You responded to my post by highlighting something I wrote which was the word 'brilliant'. I can immediately see what the issue here is. It's something that a lot of Nigerians do or think. When someone says good film, great film, brilliant stuff and so on a vast number think one thing... 'camera quality, it's HD and some blah, blah other gibberish.

I do not even care to mention technology because in this day and age it is more or less a redundant factor. Even your iPhone shoots 720p HD video... so please image capturing technology is not the issue in any way, shape or form. 'Last flight To Abuja' was shot on the Arri Alexa - did it look anything like an Alexa film? Absolutely not (and I still very much love the film). 'Phone Swap' was shot on the 35mm film... would you have guessed by watching it? Nope. In a different post on this thread I mentioned "If something 'LOOKS' filmic or not. Feel free to trust me on this (or not lol) but there is so much more to the 'whole' package of making a 'brilliant' film... much more than filming with some of the best cameras on the planet, which actually are all available in nigeria, be it Red Epics, Alexas, real film (not that I know why anyone in nigeria would want to shoot on film stock other than for 'bragging rights' that we so love). Nollywood has only just started to scratch the tip of the surface of what is possible.

I have visited film studios and I still don't know you're talking about. It is highly doubtful that any of the majors are asked or hired to do anything with music videos... and if you go into the history of music videos you will find that the major recording studios used to spend a mind-blowing fortune on videos for their major stars. Some still cost quite a lot -

List of most expensive music videos - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_music_videos

Now that you have pointed us in the direction of what you meant when you said 'Better'. I'll just take it that you didn't really understand these parts of my post added below.
VillageBoi:
1) Not really. Depends what you actually mean by 'better'.
2) It is harder to make a (this is the keyword) 'brilliant' 30 sec, 60 sec ad or 3-5, 5-10 min short film than it is to make a feature film.
£) Forget the visual 'quality' of feature films... there is a lot of stuff that we over-look and easily forgive during the 2hrs we spend watching the film... stuff that we will never forgive if it is in an ad, music video or short film.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 1:27am On Mar 12, 2013
VillageBoi:

You responded to my post by highlighting something I wrote which was the word 'brilliant'. I can immediately see what the issue here is. It's something that a lot of Nigerians do or think. When someone says good film, great film, brilliant stuff and so on a vast number think one thing... 'camera quality, it's HD and some blah, blah other gibberish.

I do not even care to mention technology because in this day and age it is more or less a redundant factor. Even your iPhone shoots 720p HD video... so please image capturing technology is not the issue in any way, shape or form. 'Last flight To Abuja' was shot on the Arri Alexa - did it look anything like an Alexa film? Absolutely not (and I still very much love the film). 'Phone Swap' was shot on the 35mm film... would you have guessed by watching it? Nope. In a different post on this thread I mentioned "If something 'LOOKS' filmic or not. Feel free to trust me on this (or not lol) but there is so much more to the 'whole' package of making a 'brilliant' film... much more than filming with some of the best cameras on the planet, which actually are all available in nigeria, be it Red Epics, Alexas, real film (not that I know why anyone in nigeria would want to shoot on film stock other than for 'bragging rights' that we so love). Nollywood has only just started to scratch the tip of the surface of what is possible.

I have visited film studios and I still don't know you're talking about. It is highly doubtful that any of the majors are asked or hired to do anything with music videos... and if you go into the history of music videos you will find that the major recording studios used to spend a mind-blowing fortune on videos for their major stars. Some still cost quite a lot -

List of most expensive music videos - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_music_videos

Now that you have pointed us in the direction of what you meant when you said 'Better'. I'll just take it that you didn't really understand these parts of my post added below.

You see! Your link just proved my point. Mind you, those are some of the highest cost produced music videos in history. The directors of 70%(guessing by using their names) of those music videos are movie directors. In my previous comment, I said some of these music videos are awarded to some section of the movie industries. In the studios where many are produced all the amount spend in producing the movies together in your link can not pay for half of the equipment of movie studios. I can still remember one time MGM studio was worth over 2 billions dollars. That speak a lot about its equipment which is the most pronounced thing to carry out productions.

The fact remains movies are of better qualities than music videos. I can say much of Nigerians as I don't know much about who are doing the production of the music videos and movies.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 1:38am On Mar 12, 2013
Most of the music videos are shot abroad in better studios with 3D technology etc. Esp in SA .
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 3:23am On Mar 12, 2013
all4naija: You see! Your link just proved my point. Mind you, those are some of the highest cost produced music videos in history. The directors of 70%(guessing by using their names) of those music videos are movie directors. In my previous comment, I said some of these music videos are awarded to some section of the movie industries. In the studios where many are produced all the amount spend in producing the movies together in your link can not pay for half of the equipment of movie studios. I can still remember one time MGM studio was worth over 2 billions dollars. That speak a lot about its equipment which is the most pronounced thing to carry out productions.

The fact remains movies are of better qualities than music videos. I can say much of Nigerians as I don't know much about who are doing the production of the music videos and movies.

The link doesn't prove your point - I'll come back to that. You say "Those are sone of the highest cost produced music videos in history"... let's first make it clear that this is not a revelation as it was evident by the heading I gave the link.
Back to why it doesn't prove your point. First of all remember I said hardly any music videos have anything to do with the 'Hollywood' studios. The big points you're missing are you have misunderstood my use of the word 'majors' to mean 'major directors' when it means 'major Hollywood studios'... huge, huge difference, secondly, you think it does support your point simply because many of the names are 'known' film directors - don't think that's all they've ever done or where they started.

The list is right there in front of your eyes. Do the very simple basic research and you will find most of them started ages ago making music videos and commercials or were mentored by other directors in those fields. Touched on this a bit earlier as pasted below -

VillageBoi:
One of the reasons is - that is where a lot of new directors, producers and so on channel in a lot of creativity to showcase 'what they can do'. Music videos are also important 'calling cards'.
Add 'commercials' to that as well.

Go back to the list and you should notice a majority of the mega budget music videos were shot in the 90's. The music industry was a very different beast then... it was throwing tons of money at things and hiring the 'best-named' people - downloads were not killing them... then.
You really do have to know some of the history and why certain things have happened. I do understand some of the point you are making but you have to remember the 'studio system' is long gone and these directors are 'freelancers'... the music videos really have nothing to do with the 'Hollywood studios' or even their equipment. At most I guess they got to use a sound-stage or two... most probably rented for the shoot.

I take it you live in America or so. It's very odd your understanding of what is meant by 'better' or 'quality' only relates to equipment. That is a million miles away from the truth.

Even though the OP related his question below to Nigeria.

naves:
Most music video are better in location, camera resolution, graphics, creativity, storyline, plot etc than the home movies.
Why is this so/what could be the reason? or is it that the music video directors are better than the home video directors?

It still is practically the same all over the world. Also note his question is not only asking about 'camera resolution' grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 3:39am On Mar 12, 2013
@ all4naija Also remember as most people that have been kind enough to comment have mentioned music videos are much shorter and explained why that makes them 'better'/ easier to make. Add the fact that half of the 'product' has already been made - the music/song, whatever we want to call it and that already is a 'story' thay may come with a sequence, proposition, plot, emotion and so on.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Afrogle: 5:20am On Mar 12, 2013
The answer is simply quality. The Naija music is able to give a world class appeal in-terms of video and audio quality. Although the Film industry is trying, they still have a long way to go. Some factors surrounding the film market in Naija makes it difficult for quality to be put ahead of profit. The artist in the music industry are less dependent on its supply chain than the film actors. The Music artist is more likely to own the right to his/her music than the film actor, one could be the huge budget of producing a film compared to relatively low for the music.
This is a particularly good music and great video and you can be sure it takes less to produce this than an average Nigerian movie but gives great satisfaction.
http://afrogle.com/nigeria-video-celebration-100-years-of-unity.html/
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Cine(m): 7:57am On Mar 12, 2013

What do you mean by the "quality is usually poor". Technically? Conceptually

The budgets are relative. Most Hollywood budgets go towards marketing and paying star actors. The equipments usually the same as that on a music vid. Slumdog Millionaire for example has sequences that were shot entirely on the 5D. You wouldn't know.

There are some absolutely great music vids and music vid directors working and creating some of the best concepts in the moving image medium. See: Romain Gavras, martin de thurah, the DANIELS....
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 12, 2013
VillageBoi: @ all4naija Also remember as most people that have been kind enough to comment have mentioned music videos are much shorter and explained why that makes them 'better'/ easier to make. Add the fact that half of the 'product' has already been made - the music/song, whatever we want to call it and that already is a 'story' thay may come with a sequence, proposition, plot, emotion and so on.
As if that looks as evidence to prove better quality of videos. I can't seem to phantom short-and-easier-to-do method can easily turn into better quality. The equipment use in the production of these media is what is a proof of what the quality is going to be.

I don't know where you are having this shady thing about music video is better. The quality of some movies is so superb it doesn't fit into normal storage media most times (as against the size of the movies). I doubt you too have carried out any research on that before coming here to list plot,emotion, sequence,etc as evidences of better quality, which is a complete faux of popularly heard idea. We are talking about videos quality not just what the video is about. If the latter should be the case movies seem to take into consideration with professionals in various fields to work on those things you listed. Movies are more full of emotions, plots,propositions,etc than music videos.

I still doubt this idea of music videos superiority to movies has anything to do with short-and-easier-to-produce generality, which is false.

Thank you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 12, 2013
Cine:

What do you mean by the "quality is usually poor". Technically? Conceptually

The budgets are relative. Most Hollywood budgets go towards marketing and paying star actors. The equipments usually the same as that on a music vid. Slumdog Millionaire for example has sequences that were shot entirely on the 5D. You wouldn't know.

There are some absolutely great music vids and music vid directors working and creating some of the best concepts in the moving image medium. See: Romain Gavras, martin de thurah, the DANIELS....

That is not practically true. Movies industry upgrade their technology with most movies as the effects and quality of the movies really matter, as they are going to be put into different formats. From imax to ultra high definition video formats which most music video(they are usually done by 'independent film') are less concerned about in most cases. For that to be possible they have to employ the best hands and equipment.

However, you are right about the large chunk of the money going to actors and promotion (those are usually spent by shell company) not the studios.The huge amount spend on equipment can not be denied.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 7:39pm On Mar 12, 2013
all4naija: The equipment use in the production of these media is what is a proof of what the quality is going to be.

The quality of some movies is so superb it doesn't fit into normal storage media most times (as against the size of the movies). I doubt you too have carried out any research on that before coming here to list plot,emotion, sequence,etc as evidences of better quality, which is a complete faux of popularly heard idea.
First let's not talk about gear cos guaranteed you're not a 'gearphile'.
Secondly, as you're contuinually missing the basic point, good luck trying to figure things out for yourself. Maybe, just maybe one day you might.

all4naija: We are talking about videos quality not just what the video is about.

No one has been talking about video quality... there really is no difference between movies and music videos when it comes to that.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 12, 2013
VillageBoi:
First let's not talk about gear cos guaranteed you're not a 'gearphile'.
Secondly, as you're contuinually missing the basic point, good luck trying to figure things out for yourself. Maybe, just maybe one day you might.

No one has been talking about video quality... there really is no difference between movies and music videos when it comes to that.
Okay, whatever. I stated clearly even if we are to go with your claims movies still have better things to show in those areas than the music videos.

My comment stemmed from a comment that allude to music videos are better than feature movies world wide. Which is not true.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Cine(m): 9:02am On Mar 13, 2013
all4naija: ]That is not practically true. Movies industry upgrade their technology with most movies as the effects and quality of the movies really matter, as they are going to be put into different formats. From imax to ultra high definition video formats which most music video(they are usually done by 'independent film')

No no no no.

Granted most music videos are shot on Red Camera or the Alexa (or a comparable digital camera by sony or panasonic) here's a small list of Hollywood films shot on the Red camera (the same fucking camera we use here in Nigeria to shoot music vids):

thor, flight, get the gringo, parker, prometheus, the amazing spider man, magic mike, underworld awakening, lol, haywire, red state, margin call, pirates of the carribean, the social network, district 9, green zone, book of eli, and che to name just a few.

here's a very long list of films shot on red:
http://www.red.com/shot-on-red

Here's another very long list of films shot on the all the above cameras I mentioned including the alexa which is very popular on music vids:
[url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_in_digital[/url]

Post Production is a different process from production. Most movies nowadays produce *'cheaper' DCPs (digital cinema packages). Imax films are not shot on Imax cameras because they're too expensive and very noisy on set which would ruin the sound. The dark knight rises only shot the action scenes on the imax camera all those other films you see in imax, have been retrograded to super 35mm and basically enlarged and stretched to fill a large part of the screen....(never the whole screen, if you notice films like the watchmen and harry potter screened on the imax screen only fill half the screen because they haven't been shot on the required 70mm) like a helluva lot of 3D films aren't shot on 3D cameras, they're retrograded in post production to 3D, so they can charge you more money at the cinema.

The production processes of music vids and films are very much the same in terms of the technology and talent used.
And ultra high definition are 4k television screens/ next gen televisions. or UHDTV. Judging by the way you threw that term in there I'm not sure you know that.

*no longer need to print to expensive 35mm film as most cinemas around the world including nigeria have digital projectors and no longer project using film.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 1:00am On Mar 15, 2013
Cine:

No no no no.

Granted most music videos are shot on Red Camera or the Alexa (or a comparable digital camera by sony or panasonic) here's a small list of Hollywood films shot on the Red camera (the same fucking camera we use here in Nigeria to shoot music vids):

thor, flight, get the gringo, parker, prometheus, the amazing spider man, magic mike, underworld awakening, lol, haywire, red state, margin call, pirates of the carribean, the social network, district 9, green zone, book of eli, and che to name just a few.

here's a very long list of films shot on red:
http://www.red.com/shot-on-red

Here's another very long list of films shot on the all the above cameras I mentioned including the alexa which is very popular on music vids:
[url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_in_digital[/url]

Post Production is a different process from production. Most movies nowadays produce *'cheaper' DCPs (digital cinema packages). Imax films are not shot on Imax cameras because they're too expensive and very noisy on set which would ruin the sound. The dark knight rises only shot the action scenes on the imax camera all those other films you see in imax, have been retrograded to super 35mm and basically enlarged and stretched to fill a large part of the screen....(never the whole screen, if you notice films like the watchmen and harry potter screened on the imax screen only fill half the screen because they haven't been shot on the required 70mm) like a helluva lot of 3D films aren't shot on 3D cameras, they're retrograded in post production to 3D, so they can charge you more money at the cinema.

The production processes of music vids and films are very much the same in terms of the technology and talent used.
And ultra high definition are 4k television screens/ next gen televisions. or UHDTV. Judging by the way you threw that term in there I'm not sure you know that.

*no longer need to print to expensive 35mm film as most cinemas around the world including nigeria have digital projectors and no longer project using film.
You are doing some disservice of ingenuity to what I have said. Mentioning Imax in my comment as to how the quality of movies has been projected through digital movie remastering processes is equivocally correct. This is a testament to the fact that no good number of music videos can be said to have been projected in that direction. At least, these DMR movies have been enhanced to fit into the imax screen for views. I don't think music videos can be said of that.

Whether most of those movies have been filmed using standard 35mm system or not the fact is that they have been remastered into 70 mm screen with very high screen resolutions which no or little of music videos can be said of that. There are evidences some parts of Dark Night Rises, Star Trek Into Darkness, Hunger Games, Avengers and some parts of Transformer trilogy where shot in imax's. On 3D camera it is only in the movies industry it has been tested, as in the case of Born To Be wild. So, the truth still remains movies possess the right to quality moving images than music's.

My argument supports that the quality of movies is way better than music, even leaving out imax and its 3D remarks here, the editors use some of the best editing tools out there to refine them to the best formats available.

No! The process are not the same because there is hardly any DMR music out there while movies from 1970s have been digitally remastered to fit into the imax process.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 5:20am On Mar 15, 2013
all4naija: At least, these DMR movies have been enhanced to fit into the imax screen for views. I don't think music videos can be said of that.
Why would someone DMR a music video? Have you ever been to the cinema for the sole purpose of watching a music video? Your point there would be the same as saying one should drink tea or fanta with a fork.

all4naija: On 3D camera it is only in the movies industry it has been tested, as in the case of Born To Be wild. So, the truth still remains movies possess the right to quality moving images than music's.
How very, very wrong you are. There are a ton of music videos out there shot in 3D... which by the way has nothing to do with 'quality'.

all4naija: ...even leaving out imax and its 3D remarks here, the editors use some of the best editing tools out there to refine them to the best formats available.
Both music videos and films are edited on the exact same systems.

It does, sadly, become a pointless exercise if you are going to state thigs as 'fact/proof of your argument' if you actually don't know what you are talking about. Remeber this is 2013... even in the village you cannot pull the wool over an akara seller's eyes - dude she will pull out her phone and google it for herself. Ok, fair enough... many people won't actually do the research but it is best not to spread misinformation... even with good intentions.

The fact and major problem here remains you still have not understood what was meant by the the words 'batter' & 'quality'.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 6:45am On Mar 15, 2013
VillageBoi:
Why would someone DMR a music video? Have you ever been to the cinema for the sole purpose of watching a music video? Your point there would be the same as saying one should drink tea or fanta with a fork.

How very, very wrong you are. There are a ton of music videos out there shot in 3D... which by the way has nothing to do with 'quality'.

Both music videos and films are edited on the exact same systems.

It does, sadly, become a pointless exercise if you are going to state thigs as 'fact/proof of your argument' if you actually don't know what you are talking about. Remeber this is 2013... even in the village you cannot pull the wool over an akara seller's eyes - dude she will pull out her phone and google it for herself. Ok, fair enough... many people won't actually do the research but it is best not to spread misinformation... even with good intentions.

The fact and major problem here remains you still have not understood what was meant by the the words 'batter' & 'quality'.
Please, this is embarrassing of you to have pointed the argument to the wrong direction. Who in the rightful mind is pooling a wool over anybody eyes in this case? Please, spare me this your prestidigitation.

Yes, DMR videos is of far quality than standard 35mm format.I haven't been to the cinema for the sole purpose of watching music yet that does seem to me an evidence that movie image is well better off than music video is something worth mentioning. Which, I don't quite understand in your statement.

If you can give example of music videos shot on 3D camera, I much obliged.

Not all the time, movies go extra learnt to remaster their moving images into ultra-high quality,etc formats. As to your assertion that both images are filmed and edited on same system, which is contradictory to DMR process we have mentioned here.

What is less of facts than support that lay credences to such comment as music videos are better than movies all over the world? Which is very presumptuous of anybody to agree with without pointing to clear evidences. Some individual has presented allusions of proposition, plot,emotions, etc - which are quite detailed in movies. It even takes professionals to come up with different sections of each plot in a movies, while still compare to a less quality flicks of music video lasting nothing more than 15 minutes, before they are packaged.

If the argument is about better and quality(as you asserted), which I am quite aware the latter is the fabric of the former, then the argument is like begging-the-question. That is revealing something it is not better that always determines the quality of most videos. In other way, the quality issue stemmed from argument somebody put forward which you are now using against me to pass your point across that I am now trying to pull a wool across people eyes, indirectly.

However, I dare you, in the most simple and concise manner, to present your evidences before the forumers why you think "Music videos are better than movies".

Thank you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 9:07am On Mar 15, 2013
all4naija: Yes, DMR videos is of far quality than standard 35mm format.
Please stop as you are so horribly embarrassing yourself. One cannot even start to have a half logical conversation with you.
A) Now there is proof that you do NOT even know what DMR is (when I earlier mentioned it, I did so thinking you knew what the other poster 'Cine' was talking about, as DMR for cinema purposes) - Since you do have to go to the very basic of basics; DMR has nothing to do with quality, it's just a media player. Like saying a VHS machine, a DVD player and so on. If you want to play the lowest quality youtube video on a DMR machine you CAN. I will not even bother explaining to you why DMR was introduced to cinemas (which is what we thought you would have had an idea about - duh, obviously not). First start a bit of your very basic education here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_media_receiver
B) You just manage to hear words or phrases here and there then you run into this forum saying you 'know', because you consider we other Nigerians to be so bush & dumb that we don't know how to use the Internet, or do any reading/studying at all. I am saying, for a fact, you know NOTHING! NADA! ZILCH!!
(Mind you the last sentence above has already been said so many times as it is glaringly clear to see you cannot even comprehend the 'context' in which 'better' & 'quality' fell into in this thread.)

all4naija: If you can give example of music videos shot on 3D camera, I much obliged.
Seriously? You couldn't look it up yourself? Ok make I dash you -
There are a few in this article - http://www.creativebloq.com/best-music-videos-2012-1212301
This 2nd link also shows one (chei, even plenti foto dey inside for you to look), it is, however, not the first as someone mentions as far back as 2007 music videos had 3D - http://www.dashwood3d.com/blog/worlds-first-3d-music-video-shot-with-arris-alexa-camera/

*For the record* - things are shot in 3D not on 3D - it isn't a format, it's basically a 'style' of shooting. One that filmmakers have been copying from photography since about 1915.

all4naija: As to your assertion that both images are filmed and edited on same system, which is contradictory to DMR process we have mentioned here.
Again, you do not have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. (refer to above)

all4naija: In other way, the quality issue stemmed from argument somebody put forward which you are now using against me to pass your point across that I am now trying to pull a wool across people eyes, indirectly.
Infact let's change what I said to "You ARE trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes DIRECTLY."

Now even if for some reason we want to debate your one and only point 'Quality = Equipment ONLY!' There will then be absolutely no difference between music videos and films as they ARE, for the millionth time, shot & edited on the very same equipment.

My guy, seriously, enough of your ITK jargon.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 15, 2013
VillageBoi:
Please stop as you are so horribly embarrassing yourself. One cannot even start to have a half logical conversation with you.
A) Now there is proof that you do NOT even know what DMR is (when I earlier mentioned it, I did so thinking you knew what the other poster 'Cine' was talking about, as DMR for cinema purposes) - Since you do have to go to the very basic of basics; DMR has nothing to do with quality, it's just a media player. Like saying a VHS machine, a DVD player and so on. If you want to play the lowest quality youtube video on a DMR machine you CAN. I will not even bother explaining to you why DMR was introduced to cinemas (which is what we thought you would have had an idea about - duh, obviously not). First start a bit of your very basic education here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_media_receiver
B) You just manage to hear words or phrases here and there then you run into this forum saying you 'know', because you consider we other Nigerians to be so bush & dumb that we don't know how to use the Internet, or do any reading/studying at all. I am saying, for a fact, you know NOTHING! NADA! ZILCH!!
(Mind you the last sentence above has already been said so many times as it is glaringly clear to see you cannot even comprehend the 'context' in which 'better' & 'quality' fell into in this thread.)

Seriously? You couldn't look it up yourself? Ok make I dash you -
There are a few in this article - http://www.creativebloq.com/best-music-videos-2012-1212301
This 2nd link also shows one (chei, even plenti foto dey inside for you to look), it is, however, not the first as someone mentions as far back as 2007 music videos had 3D - http://www.dashwood3d.com/blog/worlds-first-3d-music-video-shot-with-arris-alexa-camera/

*For the record* - things are shot in 3D not on 3D - it isn't a format, it's basically a 'style' of shooting. One that filmmakers have been copying from photography since about 1915.

Again, you do not have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. (refer to above)

Infact let's change what I said to "You ARE trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes DIRECTLY."

Now even if for some reason we want to debate your one and only point 'Quality = Equipment ONLY!' There will then be absolutely no difference between music videos and films as they ARE, for the millionth time, shot & edited on the very same equipment.

My guy, seriously, enough of your ITK jargon.

Hahaha DMR is now Digital Media Receiver. Why would I waste my time discussing Imax 'Digital Media Remastering' with you when you are taking it for something else?!

As to your second link it is even a test music shot. When did ARRI’S Alexa Camera become a 3D camera? The music video is shot on 3D doesn't mean they use 3D camera.In that link it was projected using Zeiss Master Prime lenses, the Stereo3D Tango beamsplitter rig, and Dashwood Cinema Solutions’s Stereo3D Live™ calibration/analysis software. Please, I don't know how to explain this to you because you don't just seem to get it.

Adios, Amigo!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 8:47pm On Mar 15, 2013
all4naija: Hahaha DMR is now Digital Media Receiver. Why would I waste my time discussing Imax 'Digital Media Remastering' with you when you are taking it for something else?!
Adios, Amigo!

Yes it is. And so? I'll easily admit I missed where you wrote Digital Media 'Remastering' in your previous post, I have absolutely no problem doing that. That does not change the fact that no one has been talking about 'resolution' to mean better music videos.

You mentioned Dark Knight and on the Imax, since you brought it up, the differences between the 35mm shots and the 70mm shots were clear to see. Again do people go to the cinema for the sole purpose of watching a music video? No! So where does digital remastering come into the equation? Nowhere. If the main end consumption channel of music videos was the cinema and Imax in particular then they would be remastered which negates everything you are saying about 'resolution'... because they are captured & edited on the very same equipment as many movies.

Since, to you, better & quality means 'equipment, Imax & 3D' then how will you explain the complete disaster that was the, shown on Imax & 3D, 2012 released 'John carter'? Additional proof that equipment does not really mean something is good or bad - Why would a record breaking film 'Avengers' use seriously cheap DSLR cameras for various shots. So did Iron Man, Captain America, Red Tails, Black swan and various others.

From the very start you have missed context of 'better & quality' in this thread and there still is no point in trying to explain anything to you. You don't get, you don't get it - it's not a crime. Thankfully most Nigerians do know that 'best, biggest, baddest equipment' does not mean quality or a good product.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 8:53pm On Mar 15, 2013
all4naija:
As to your second link it is even a test music shot. When did ARRI’S Alexa Camera become a 3D camera? The music video is shot on 3D doesn't mean they use 3D camera.In that link it was projected using Zeiss Master Prime lenses, the Stereo3D Tango beamsplitter rig, and Dashwood Cinema Solutions’s Stereo3D Live™ calibration/analysis software. Please, I don't know how to explain this to you because you don't just seem to get it.

So you think there is a film camera that is specifically called 3D? Duh? ? ? Na toy 'consumer cameras they dey give that tag to. What do you think 3D is? Any camera can be used for 3D. All you do is attach 2 cameras to a 3D rig and you're shooting 3D... so simple. Or build a camera with 'two eyes' ie lenses. All 3D is is shooting TWO different perspectives at the same time.

You will come back and say The Hobbit can't be 3D because Peter Jackson shot with Red Epics and James Cameron is a fraud because he used Red Epics as well. As said earlier on it's just a style of shooting (with 2 cameras at a time) that the studios love because they can charge much more for a ticket. With all honesty people don't even like 3D.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 15, 2013
VillageBoi:

Chei, so you think there is a camera that is specifically called 3D? Duh? ? ? Na toy 'consumera cameras they dey give that tag to. What do you think 3D is? Any camera can be used for 3D. All you do is attach 2 cameras to a 3D rig and you're shooting 3D... so simple.
Blahblahblah... At least your handle speaks a lot about who you are.

I am expecting another of your funny response!

Adios,Amigo!

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 9:06pm On Mar 15, 2013
all4naija: Blahblahblah... At least your handle speaks a lot about who you are.

I am expecting another of your funny response!

Adios,Amigo!

I be bush man I don't deny it, never have and never will. I'm totally proud of being a Village Somborri.

I edited the post so you might have missed this bit... my additional funny response -

VillageBoi:

... Or build a camera with 'two eyes' ie lenses. All 3D is is shooting TWO different perspectives at the same time.

You will come back and say The Hobbit can't be 3D because Peter Jackson shot with Red Epics and James Cameron is a fraud because he used Red Epics as well. As said earlier on it's just a style of shooting (with 2 cameras at a time) that the studios love because they can charge much more for a ticket. With all honesty people don't even like 3D.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Safari29: 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2014
I hail oh

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Top 50 Current Tv Series You Need Not Fail To Watch!!! / Adekunle Evicted From The Big Brother Naija All Stars House / Where Do I Download Movies Online For Free, No Credit Card, No Registration Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.